Gary Patterson

12,666 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Squadron7
Ronnie Mund
How long do you want to ignore this user?
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

If Patterson was worth a sh-t, he would already be a coach at somewhere that could fill a damn stadium.
Go pick on somebody else. He's a more accomplished coach than Jimbo.

By the way, you have no idea how much I hate TCU.
No, he's literally not at f***ing all, by any metric.
goodAg80
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

If Patterson was worth a sh-t, he would already be a coach at somewhere that could fill a damn stadium.

Come on...

• Sweating
  • Losing his voice
  • Torso girth
Mr Global Warming
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

When Del Conte approached Patterson about the series, the coach said, "So you don't want me to win a national championship?"
And that attitude right there fits perfectly with the cowards of the Big XII. Always wanted the easiest path under the BCS regime with automatic bids.

The same people clamoring for expansion of the play-offs with auto bids to the conference champions.

Yes! Expansion of the playoffs rewards those in crap conferences and leads to less and less quality OOC games. Do. Not. Want.
CoachLB
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

I have just read the most stupid thing i have ever read on "Old Rivalries." And that is saying a lot as there has been some really stupid stuff. Look Patterson is a great coach. But to flat out say he is more accomplished than Jimbo is just wrong. Patterson did a lot in a mid major conference and some good stuff in a weak power 5 conference. Jimbo has a NC and multiple 10 win seasons. Look when you play in a bowl you get 30 days or so to prepare. And most teams do not prepare the same for a bowl. And if they had NC hopes and did not make the playoff they more than likely have lost interest. If you had left it with Patterson is a great coach, i would agree. But you went full crazy saying he is more accomplished than Jimbo. Fisher improved A&M faster than i have ever seen. The same players with the previous staff would have gotten blown out by Clemson. Mond looks like a different player. His mechanics are so much improved. A formerly soft Aggie team went toe to toe with a physical Clemson team and did not back off. And all of this improvement has come after one spring practice and in just 2 games. Talk as good about Patterson all you want. But please do not throw crap like that out there about Jimbo Fisher!
GAC06
AG
goodAg80 said:

Ronnie Mund said:

South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Come on...

• Sweating
  • Losing his voice
  • Torso girth

He's also well above average at recruiting attractive chicks to carry his sweat towel
CoachLB
By the way. TCU lost to an Arkansas team led by Bret Bielema. Sumlin never even did that!
South Platte
GAC06 said:

goodAg80 said:

Ronnie Mund said:

South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Come on...

• Sweating
  • Losing his voice
  • Torso girth

He's also well above average at recruiting attractive chicks to carry his sweat towel
True.
South Platte
Alright, alright. I should have known better than to pick on Jimbo's career with you guys.
GAC06
AG
Or anyone with any sense
PJYoung
AG
I didn't realize they moved the game to AT&T. What a pitiful money grab at the expense of their fans. Minor League BS.

Quote:

Saturday should be for TCU what last Saturday was for Texas A&M and Kyle Field when the Aggies hosted No. 2 Clemson.
That entire day was the best of college football.

Instead, this Saturday is partially about TCU. And it's about AT&T Stadium. And it's about Ohio State. And it's about the Dallas Cowboys.

Quote:

The biggest dividing line between the appeal of college football from pro football is the atmosphere, and as we all saw in Clemson's win vs. the Aggies at Kyle Field, nothing tops the scene or feel of a game on campus.

Not even a home and home. Like they're SMU. Just giving up and cashing the check.
Macarthur
That's real shame that's not going to be in Amon carter
AggieBand2004
AG
Having been to games in Amon Carter as recently as last year, it's not like they are sacrificing any kind of atmosphere by playing elsewhere.
TCU home games are almost identical to Baylor's.
BohunkAg
AG
Macarthur said:

That's real shame that's not going to be in Amon carter
I agree with that. Big games like this should be on campus. I still hate that we play Arkansas in that barn....and by barn, I may cavernous dome. It's obviously a nice stadium, but it's surrounded by giant parking lots instead of by a college campus.;
CoachLB
South Platte said:

Alright, alright. I should have known better than to pick on Jimbo's career with you guys.
Or to be more honest maybe you should have known better than to say something to us that was not true.
smokeythebear
AG
PJYoung said:

I didn't realize they moved the game to AT&T. What a pitiful money grab at the expense of their fans. Minor League BS.

Quote:

Saturday should be for TCU what last Saturday was for Texas A&M and Kyle Field when the Aggies hosted No. 2 Clemson.
That entire day was the best of college football.

Instead, this Saturday is partially about TCU. And it's about AT&T Stadium. And it's about Ohio State. And it's about the Dallas Cowboys.

Quote:

The biggest dividing line between the appeal of college football from pro football is the atmosphere, and as we all saw in Clemson's win vs. the Aggies at Kyle Field, nothing tops the scene or feel of a game on campus.

And they get to travel to Columbus Ohio next season. Not even a home and home. Like they're SMU. Just giving up and cashing the check.
Exactly, CDC is all hot and heavy about getting himself a home-and-home with an elite program and it's not even at home for them. Now they just get to play in a house full of OSU fans twice!
Macarthur
AggieBand2004 said:

Having been to games in Amon Carter as recently as last year, it's not like they are sacrificing any kind of atmosphere by playing elsewhere.
TCU home games are almost identical to Baylor's.
I disagree. There are some games that aren't great due to oppoent, but this would have been a diff animal. It would have been great.
Iowaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I find it weird that Patterson does something that many people love which is to stay loyal and build something and take it to new heights that it's never been. He's been a great member of the community and has not chased the next shiny object...Yet, there is vitriol here for him.

I don't get it. I've been told by folks that would prob know that he would have taken the Aggie job back when Sherman was hired, BTW.
I don't have any vitriol towards Patterson. He's been good for TCU and more power to him. He has made the most out of the opportunity to join the ranks of P5 programs. What many fail to grasp here is the huge difference between the old BCS system to the play-off selection committee. Under the BCS, no one was penalized for having a soft schedule. They just had to win. Now, it is quality wins versus quality losses that shape the perception and the rankings.

I call it "The Aids Approach" to rankings. It's not just who you beat/lost to, it's also who they beat/lost to.

FTR, I have my doubts that hiring back-to-back TCU HCs (Fran/Patterson) was all that appealing to BMAs however.

I wish this were true regarding the playoffs, but I'm not sure it is most important. I think who you beat goes farther down the tie-breaker line as opposed to # of losses. Right now, for the B12 teams, there is no incentive to play a tough OOC game because the B12 is (rightfully) perceived as weakest, and it's going to lose the conference affiliation tie breaker. A Big 12's best chance to make the playoffs is to be undefeated.

The playoff committee has been consistent on this one thing...the first tie breaker for determining the 4 playoff teams is the # of losses*. Winning a CCG or title and conference affiliation/brand name are the next most important factors (SEC>Big Ten> ACC > PAC/B12) with the playoff committee preferring 1 team per conference.
OU will lose conference affiliation, but in some cases will win brand name (over a team like Washington, Wisconsin or Michigan State). TCU is also low on the pecking order.

I hate that it still comes down to # of losses to get into the playoffs.

*I know it doesn't need to be stated for 90% of the people on this board, but # of losses only applies to P5 teams and Notre Dame.
South Platte
CoachLB said:

South Platte said:

Or to be more honest maybe you should have known better than to say something to us that was not true.
Go compare their Wikipedia pages. Or don't. But regardless of opinion, posting that on an A&M message board was only going to end badly.
88jrt06
AG
Or compare their off-season job interviews.
technoviking
AG
South Platte said:

CoachLB said:

South Platte said:

Go compare their Wikipedia pages. Or don't. But regardless of opinion, posting that on an A&M message board was only going to end badly.
Gary Patterson has a 162-57 all time head coaching record. However, TCU joined the Big 12 in 2012.

Dating back to 2012, TCU has had the following records:

7-6 (4-5 conference)
4-8 (2-7)
12-1 (8-1)
11-2 (7-2)
6-7 (4-5)
11-3 (7-2)
2-0 (0-0)

for a total of 53-27 (.663 winning percentage)

Gary Patterson had one Big 12 conference championship in that time.

Jimbo, in the same time, has had the following records:

12-2 (7-1)
14-0 (8-0)
13-1 (8-0)
10-3 (6-2)
10-3 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)

for a total of 66-15 (.815)

Jimbo had 3 conference championships and one national championship in that time.

So, as Power 5 coaches, Jimbo is much better. Jimbo was also part of a national championship team as an assistant (LSU 2003). Gary Patterson has been apart of 0 national championship teams.

If you want to include Gary Patterson's tenure as a group of 5 coach in this equation, which I suppose you're trying to do, then I don't know what to tell you. Practically every head coach that is hired as a Power 5 coach from their group of 5 program is a "bad ass" (Kevin Sumlin, Art Briles and Tom Herman from Houston or Dennis Franchionne at TCU, etc) until they make it to the Power 5. Patterson has held his own, but, he is nowhere near Jimbo as a head football coach in Power 5 play.
Ronnie Mund
technoviking just placed his Wranglers around his ankles, waddled over to South Platte, ripped off South Platte's dome off his pencil neck, farted, and took a banana shaped sh*t down South Platte's blood spewing windpipe.
88jrt06
AG
No. He didn't.
But he won.
goodAg80
AG
Your are using the term power 5 conference for Patterson's tenure rather loosely.
technoviking
AG
I realized that. Especially when considering that TCU was co-champs of the big 12 with Baylor that one "championship" year.

I guess I tried to help South Platte a little too much there.
Your Friend
The acc was worse than the big 12 by a country mile during that time frame. (It's worse now than the big 12 has ever been)
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Your Friend said:

The acc was worse than the big 12 by a country mile during that time frame. (It's worse now than the big 12 has ever been)

Nobody gives a **** what you think you noodle armed freak !
David_Puddy
AG
Your Friend said:

People with legitimate degrees are talking in here. Take your bullsh-t trolling to one of the many Texas threads.
technoviking
AG
Your Friend said:

Alright. Let's review:

2012 bowl season highlights:

BCS bowls:

FSU 31 - Northern Illinois 10

Oregon 35 - Kansas State (co-big 12 champs) 17

Louisville 33 - Florida 23

Non-BCS bowls:

TAMU 42 - OU (co-big 12 champs) 13

Michigan State 17 - TCU 16

2013:

BCS bowls:

FSU 34 (National Champs) - Auburn 31

UCF 52 - Baylor (big 12 champions) 42

Oklahoma 45 - Alabama 31

Clemson 40 - Ohio State 35

Non BCS bowls:

Oregon 30 - tu 7

TAMU 52 - Duke 48

TCU doesn't make the bowl season

2014:

Playoffs:

No big 12 participants. FSU makes it.

Non Playoff games:

TCU 42 (big 12 co champs) - Ole Piss 3

Michigan State 42 - Baylor (big 12 co champs) 41

Arkansas 31 - tu 7

TAMU 45 - WVU 37

2015:

Playoffs:

Clemson 37 - OU (big 12 champs) 17

Bama (National Champions) 45 - Clemson 40

tu doesn't make a bowl

2016:

Playoffs:

No Big 12 participants again. Clemson wins the national championship

tu doesn't make a bowl

2017:

Playoffs:

OU loses in the first round. Clemson loses in first round.

Point being in all this: the "best" of the big 12 routinely lost. ACC had two different teams win the national championship.

David_Puddy
AG
techno just went to Freebirds, where he ordered a Super Monster with extra pico, guac, corn, sour cream, double steak and refried beans. Right after finishing his meal, he hopped in his F-250 and drove to Katy, knocked on Buscemi's apartment door, dragged him outside, violently ripped off both of Buscemi's noodle arms, and clubbed him senseless with them. Then he pulled down his fightin Texas Aggie track pants, took a piss on Buscemi's concave chest and took a steamy, corn & guac filled elephant sized poop in Buscemi's mouth and left him for dead. Holy sh-t
Flexbone
The ACC has about twice as many draft picks annually (vs the Big 12).
rangelady
AG
Tough crowd in here tonight.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Watching Patterson on the sidelines bent over yelling and yanking his pants up makes me think of Chris Farley doing his (... in a van down by the river...) motivational speech on SNL. Makes me laugh every time I see Patterson.
South Platte
technoviking said:

South Platte said:

CoachLB said:

South Platte said:

Gary Patterson has a 162-57 all time head coaching record. However, TCU joined the Big 12 in 2012.

7-6 (4-5 conference)
4-8 (2-7)
12-1 (8-1)
11-2 (7-2)
6-7 (4-5)
11-3 (7-2)
2-0 (0-0)

12-2 (7-1)
14-0 (8-0)
13-1 (8-0)
10-3 (6-2)
10-3 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)

Jimbo had 3 conference championships and one national championship in that time.

So, as Power 5 coaches, Jimbo is much better. Jimbo was also part of a national championship team as an assistant (LSU 2003). Gary Patterson has been apart of 0 national championship teams.

If you want to include Gary Patterson's tenure as a group of 5 coach in this equation, which I suppose you're trying to do, then I don't know what to tell you. Practically every head coach that is hired as a Power 5 coach from their group of 5 program is a "bad ass" (Kevin Sumlin, Art Briles and Tom Herman from Houston or Dennis Franchionne at TCU, etc) until they make it to the Power 5. Patterson has held his own, but, he is nowhere near Jimbo as a head football coach in Power 5 play.
Did you consider how many AFCA National Coach of the Year awards both have won? Patterson has 2 and is one of only five coaches in the last 60 years with multiple COY awards, which is given by his peers. There are a number of one hit wonders on that list. To get it twice is a really big deal. Bear, Paterno, Royal, Patterson and McKay. That's good company. Jimbo currently has 0.

Yes, of course I count GP's time pre-Big XII. He has won 11 games in 9 of 18 years. Before you bash GP's time as a group of 5 head coach, remember that Jimbo accepted the HC position at UAB before it was vetoed. Fortune smiled on him and he has had an excellent run as OC and HC at FSU.

These posts will obviously age . . . we will revisit in 5 years!
technoviking
AG
South Platte said:

technoviking said:

South Platte said:

CoachLB said:

South Platte said:

7-6 (4-5 conference)
4-8 (2-7)
12-1 (8-1)
11-2 (7-2)
6-7 (4-5)
11-3 (7-2)
2-0 (0-0)

12-2 (7-1)
14-0 (8-0)
13-1 (8-0)
10-3 (6-2)
10-3 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)

Did you consider how many AFCA National Coach of the Year awards both have won? Patterson has 2 and is one of only five coaches in the last 60 years with multiple COY awards, which is given by his peers. There are a number of one hit wonders on that list. To get it twice is a really big deal. Bear, Paterno, Royal, Patterson and McKay. That's good company. Jimbo currently has 0.

Yes, of course I count GP's time pre-Big XII. He has won 11 games in 9 of 18 years. Before you bash GP's time as a group of 5 head coach, remember that Jimbo accepted the HC position at UAB before it was vetoed. Fortune smiled on him and he has had an excellent run as OC and HC at FSU.

I don't know what to tell you, then. Have a good one.
David_Puddy
AG
South Platte said:

technoviking said:

South Platte said:

CoachLB said:

South Platte said:

7-6 (4-5 conference)
4-8 (2-7)
12-1 (8-1)
11-2 (7-2)
6-7 (4-5)
11-3 (7-2)
2-0 (0-0)

12-2 (7-1)
14-0 (8-0)
13-1 (8-0)
10-3 (6-2)
10-3 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)

For you to argue some subjective award over a National Championship, Conference Championships, 10+ win seasons, etc, just shows the absolute stupidity of your attempted logic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.