Gary Patterson

12,663 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Squadron7
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This board is something. The guy is regarded as a top 5 to 7 coach by virtually everyone associated in one way or another w college football. I guess he's got everyone snowed.
CoachLB
Did anyone say he is not a great coach? We were saying he is not better than Jimbo Fisher. The guy who said he was is who started this. But the fact is Patterson has had 3 six loss seasons since 2012 and Sumlin had basically the same record as Patterson in a tougher league. Those are all facts. Another fact is we can only guess what Patterson would do if his team played Alabama, Auburn, LSU and the rest of the SEC West week after week. Lets face it, a Big 12 schedule does not strike fear into anyone.
fistofsouth
Macarthur said:

This board is something. The guy is regarded as a top 5 to 7 coach by virtually everyone associated in one way or another w college football. I guess he's got everyone snowed.
OK so let's count this up:

NC winners- Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Fisher. That would be 1-4
Made CFB Playoffs - Dantonio, Smart, Helfrich, Petersen. That would be 5-8

I like GP, but tell me what accomplishment he has that trumps that???
Macarthur
CoachLB said:

Did anyone say he is not a great coach? We were saying he is not better than Jimbo Fisher. The guy who said he was is who started this. But the fact is Patterson has had 3 six loss seasons since 2012 and Sumlin had basically the same record as Patterson in a tougher league. Those are all facts. Another fact is we can only guess what Patterson would do if his team played Alabama, Auburn, LSU and the rest of the SEC West week after week. Lets face it, a Big 12 schedule does not strike fear into anyone.
Well, I would not say he's better than Jimbo. I think he's in the conversation when you get past the couple of guys w a MNC.

And sumlin keeps getting brought up....I would love to see what Patterson could do w a couple of top 10 recruiting classes. Reminder that he's never had a recruiting class higher than 25.
Macarthur
fistofsouth said:

Macarthur said:

OK so let's count this up:

NC winners- Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Fisher. That would be 1-4
Made CFB Playoffs - Dantonio, Smart, Helfrich, Petersen. That would be 5-8

I like GP, but tell me what accomplishment he has that trumps that???
I would take Patterson for sure over Helfrich, Dantonio and probably Smart (still very new). I think he and Petersen are very comparable career wise.

And I'm a little confused on the "accomplishment" point. This goes back to the argument that because Dilfer won a SB, he's a better QB than Romo. To make it in you need some luck, too. Many think TCU got jobbed out of their spot in a playoff a couple of years ago.

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Many think TCU got jobbed out of their spot in a playoff a couple of years ago.
Take it up with Bowlsby. Your commish did that to you.
Macarthur
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Well, he didn't do it to me, but I agree w your point.
RGLAG85
AG
Macarthur said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Well, he didn't do it to me, but I agree w your point.
Yeah, you really don't care for frog too much! Lol!
CoachLB
Macarthur said:

CoachLB said:

Well, I would not say he's better than Jimbo. I think he's in the conversation when you get past the couple of guys w a MNC.

And sumlin keeps getting brought up....I would love to see what Patterson could do w a couple of top 10 recruiting classes. Reminder that he's never had a recruiting class higher than 25.
So who recruits for Patterson? So if someone would recruit a top class for Patterson he would win more? He is in the Big 12 now and has been since 2012. I could see it being tough to recruit in the WAC. But he is in a Power 5 conference. Maybe he needs to up his recruiting game.
AggieBand2004
AG
Exactly. I would say that a college coach must be able to recruit to be considered a good coach
Macarthur
His recruiting has gradually gotten better, but he also has bit diff defense and recruits to his system.
AggieBand2004
AG
Yeah, I'm sure that latter part means he's been turning away countless 4/5 stars in his backyard
CoachLB
Macarthur said:

His recruiting has gradually gotten better, but he also has bit diff defense and recruits to his system.
i have been a Defensive Cord for a while now.I know what he does on defense. And i know why he does it. He does what he does because of the type of defense he has to run. Becsuse of recruiting and the 7 on 7 league he plays in. But when he plays teams like Arky was under Bret B. They give him fits. Clemson ran for like 13 yards a carry against OU. That is why i question a Patterson tyoe team can win a NC. Again I like the guy and believe he is an excellent coach.
W
AG
i'll give TCU some credit tonight for keeping it close and competitive with Ohio State
88jrt06
AG
CoachLB said:

Macarthur said:

i have been a Defensive Cord for a while now.I know what he does on defense. And i know why he does it. He does what he does because of the type of defense he has to run. Becsuse of recruiting and the 7 on 7 league he plays in. But when he plays teams like Arky was under Bret B. They give him fits. Clemson ran for like 13 yards a carry against OU. That is why i question a Patterson tyoe team can win a NC. Again I like the guy and believe he is an excellent coach.

One of our best posters. Good stuff. Y'all listen!
Squadron7
AG
CoachLB said:

Macarthur said:

Hold on, are we going to just stand here and let actual coaches post here?

Doesn't that jeopardize everyone else's amateur standing?
Macarthur
W said:

i'll give TCU some credit tonight for keeping it close and competitive with Ohio State

Three huge swings in that game.

The two obvious are the defensive TDs, which one should have been a safety. That 5 point diff makes this game even more interesting. The int for a TD was a bad bad decision by Robinson.

The third one I think was huge was the blatant face mask on Robinson as he was scrambling in the wide open field. That gives tcu a first down and tOSU scored the go ahead td right after that possession when tcu had to punt.

It's crazy that they spent so much time reviewing a bogus targeting call but didn't give that TD/Safety a single look. I tend to agree w people that say complaining about the refs is a losers lament, but that game was greatly affected by a couple of really egregious errors by the refs.
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

It's crazy that they spent so much time reviewing a bogus targeting call...

I'm glad they reversed it because if they had not I was going to throw up my hands at the idea that "Targeting" is actually a "call".....rather than simply a lottery.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.