Business & Investing
Sponsored by

SWA moving to assigned seating in 2025

18,177 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by inconvenient truth
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stymied said:

If they match their competitors, I bet A list will get free access to assigned seats in the premium leg room areas. Can't imagine them not doing that when status on legacy airlines give the same thing.

So if you get the exact same benefits, why would a customer continue to choose an airline that has less destinations and no real international reach? They will have to have some real good pricing and fee incentives.
Ragoo
AG
Switched to SWA this year even though it is a little further to HOU vs IAH. I got tired of flying the E-175 on united, much prefer the larger 737. Also, at IAH you may push back at the right time for on time departure but you sit there for 20-30 minutes before getting going. SWA and HOU you push back and roll all the way through take off. Plus SWA seems to always try and make up time if they are running behind. United will not even attempt to regain lost time, again probably because IAH is so much more busy than HOU.
T dizl televizl
AG
I live probably 3 minutes from Love Field in Dallas. So whenever I can I fly Southwest as it is a lot closer, and Love Field is a lot more easier to navigate IMO than DFW.

Just booked a trip to Gulf Shores AL (flying into Pensacola), and Southwest business select was the same price as flying first class on American out of DFW. Chose to fly AA even though DFW is 30 minutes further from my house.

Extra leg room. Not having to stand up for 10-15 minutes waiting for them to start boarding your group. Not having to be the very first person on the plane to get a good seat. All kind of added up for me personally.

Southwest has definitely gotten me out of some jams in the past, and always handled delays/cancellations better than American, but as I've gotten older I try to do anything I can to take stress out of my traveling, and Southwest just seems like a more stressful experience all around.

If they had this policy in place for my recent booking, I would've chosen Southwest so maybe it works for them. Will be interesting to watch them implement for sure.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that flying Southwest out of Florida results in some of the weirdest air passengers of all time? It's unlike anything I've ever seen.
500,000ags
AG
Too much competition in airlines. No company can make any money. Every customer gets crappy service.
TxAG#2011
Stymied said:

If they match their competitors, I bet A list will get free access to assigned seats in the premium leg room areas. Can't imagine them not doing that when status on legacy airlines give the same thing.
Yes plus free drinks on those rows.

A list will probably just get you the ability to pick any seat that's not already taken.
Stymied
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Stymied said:

So if you get the exact same benefits, why would a customer continue to choose an airline that has less destinations and no real international reach? They will have to have some real good pricing and fee incentives.
Perhaps... I think some might ask the same question around why customers chose SWA before. I'm sure they will differentiate themselves in some way. We will have to see how.
Bayou City
Get the CC and you get all of the perks.
Ag06Law
AG
Former SWA loyalist who switched over to United here. One of the biggest changes I noticed after making the switch is the huge drop in preboarding. I think the max number of wheelchairs I've seen for any given flight is 2, whereas some SWA flights had 10-15. Not only was it frustrating to always get on and see the first few rows full when I paid for Business Select, but it delayed a bunch of flights too. SWA never did anything to try to limit preboarding in any way, and that became a big problem. This should at least address that issue.
TXTransplant
The pre-board situation is legit criticism. I don't mind a wheelchair boarding first, but at when it's half a dozen or more wheelchairs plus their 2, 3, or 4 traveling companions, it gets ridiculous.

We noticed the same thing on JetBlue the other day. Multiple wheelchair passengers, and each one had at least 2-3 companions. They must have boarded 20 or 30 people before normal boarding commenced. JetBlue has assigned seating, but it still just seemed excessive.
TXTransplant
T dizl televizl said:

I live probably 3 minutes from Love Field in Dallas. So whenever I can I fly Southwest as it is a lot closer, and Love Field is a lot more easier to navigate IMO than DFW.

Just booked a trip to Gulf Shores AL (flying into Pensacola), and Southwest business select was the same price as flying first class on American out of DFW. Chose to fly AA even though DFW is 30 minutes further from my house.

Extra leg room. Not having to stand up for 10-15 minutes waiting for them to start boarding your group. Not having to be the very first person on the plane to get a good seat. All kind of added up for me personally.

Southwest has definitely gotten me out of some jams in the past, and always handled delays/cancellations better than American, but as I've gotten older I try to do anything I can to take stress out of my traveling, and Southwest just seems like a more stressful experience all around.

If they had this policy in place for my recent booking, I would've chosen Southwest so maybe it works for them. Will be interesting to watch them implement for sure.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that flying Southwest out of Florida results in some of the weirdest air passengers of all time? It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

The panhandle of FL isn't called the Redneck Riviera for no reason!

Seriously, though, that whole area had very limited (and expensive) airline service until SW came in. That made air travel much more accessible for a broader socio-economic class of customers.
Cyp0111
SWA out of houston is a no go for me to most places. Only a few direct flights and times are suboptimal. They're still decent getting you out west but that is it.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Bummer, will see what A list preferred gets me in the new process. Not expecting much…..

Exactly. Without open seating they are just another airline.

I fly SWA exclusively when possible for work. This is a terrible change.

Agreed.
Baby Billy
AG
If you wait until you get to the airport to check in to a Southwest flight there's a pretty good chance they overbooked and you got booted. The open seating sucks
Troglodyte
AG
What happens to a-list?
YouBet
AG
Baby Billy said:

If you wait until you get to the airport to check in to a Southwest flight there's a pretty good chance they overbooked and you got booted. The open seating sucks
SWA doesn't overbook and hasn't in many years.
YouBet
AG
Troglodyte said:

What happens to a-list?
As others have said, it will look like the other majors perks for frequent travelers. So go benchmark what UA, AA, and DL do and you will figure out pretty quick what WN will end up doing.
752bro4
AG
Mixed feelings on this, but mostly positive.

I'm Alist Preferred, Companion Pass, and live 15 minutes from DAL. I travel about 50 RT per year, most of which are business. Our early, in late, and most of my flights are direct to the major metros of AZ, TX, and FL, with occasional LA, NV, and NY.

I love the convenience of knowing that I am on my couch 45 minutes from the time my wheels hit the ground. Or I can leave my house an hour from take off and walk right up to boarding. I do hate gate lice, I do hate certain people that are on every flight. But at my status level, it so out-weighs AA. Even when traveling with the 3 of us, I board usually A16-20, wife boards at family boarding with kid, and we sit row 9 (1, 9, 17 for those of you who like drinks).

TLDR, having status because you fly a bunch with SWA makes a difference. I hope this continues with the changes b/c my companion pass runs through 2025, and we're pretty committed to them for that long if not more.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I prefer the cattle call. Very orderly boarding; I think it beats having to elbow my way past Group 7 meatheads. Even without any status, could get a very good seat with a nominal early bird fee or just being on your game 24 hours ahead. Could flex your seating if you needed to make a connection or to avoid a fatso mouth-breather. If you don't like the situation developing around you, you aren't married to those people for 2-3 hours like you are in assigned seating
Baby Billy
AG
YouBet said:

Baby Billy said:

Ha. My first hand experience 3 months ago tells me otherwise. And then before that 2 years prior.

They absolutely overbook
Baby Billy
AG
YouBet said:

Baby Billy said:

We had the flights booked for 6 months. I forgot to check in the day prior. Me, wife and daughter show up 2 hours prior and check in at kiosk. We get to gate and they tell us they're overbooked by 6 people and we were some of the last to check in. A family of 4 took their voucher offer but that was it. Wife and daughter got on the plane, I didn't and came the next day.
evan_aggie
AG
This might be a bad analogy,

But i like to think of airlines as restaurants.

United, Delta, American:
Chilis, Applebees

Southwest pre 2024
McDonald's / Wendy's, but with better customer service

Now Southwest wants to be Chick-Fil-A:
-Charge higher pricing, attracts upper-middle class
-Add in some options that are almost Chilis level priced
-Still deliver good customer service and relative value
-Run like a clock

You are still family oriented but now up your clientele and snag the occasional business traveler.
YouBet
AG
Baby Billy said:

YouBet said:

Baby Billy said:

Ha. My first hand experience 3 months ago tells me otherwise. And then before that 2 years prior.

They absolutely overbook

Except they don't and haven't in 6-7 years.
Troglodyte
AG
Probably a technicality, but it seems like I've been on several SWA the past couple of years that are offering vouchers to take the next flight.

What's the difference between this and over booking?
Stymied
AG
There is a nuance to this conversation.

Overbooking is when an airline sells more seats on a flight than it knows it has capacity for. SWA stopped this 6-7 years ago as did nearly every other airline. Prior to then, the general practice was as follows:

Say you have 160 seats to sell. The airline will set its algorithms to plan like there are actually 162 seats to sell, especially if the last 2 seats are full fare walk ups (i.e. the most expensive ticket they have). They are playing the game that either
a) They won't sell the last two seats at full fare
b) If they do sell the seats at full fare, they either ask for volunteers to go on a later flight or they bump customers who bought cheap flights and roll them to the next available flight

Most of this no longer happens as the government has heavily increased the required compensation for denied boarding.

What most of you are experiencing is not overbooking as described above. It's likely due to passengers rolling over from a cancelled flight (pretty infrequent as completion factor across the industry is well above historical averages) or a misconnect from an earlier flight.

I'm not denying that it feels like overbooking but it's technically not.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My money would be due to trying to recover from late connections and cancellations. So not intentionally overbooked at the outset, but "day of" issue recovery attempts

Edit - stymied beat me to it
Baby Billy
AG
GasAg90
Baby Billy said:

You can check in 24 hours in advance. You know this, so I am guessing you like to complain about things that you can actually control. The internet was invented for you.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. Pay for early bird or set a 24 hour alarm. I'm generally consistently pleasantly surprised at my options once I get on the plane relative to my #, as long as I did the above. There are usually enough people in A and B still taking middle seats to sit together that it leaves good options for a long time
62strat
AG
GasAg90 said:

Baby Billy said:

You can check in 24 hours in advance*. You know this, so I am guessing you like to complain about things that you can actually control. The internet was invented for you.
you assume this person has an internet connection.
jh0400
AG
Baby Billy said:

Unless you are business select, why would you ever do this?
Stymied
AG
If you know Southwest and their process, you probably wouldn't wait that long.

I also would imagine that some of this might be in Southwest's logic. As they compete for people that are not regular Southwest flyers, doing things different than nearly every other airline can really put a bad taste in your mouth.
YouBet
AG
This decision has huge implications internally at SWA and externally for customers. As well as and pros and cons. Others have listed scenarios on here where moving to assigned seating is going to actually reduce the flexibility of flying SWA in certain scenarios. It's not all great moving to assigned seats although it will assuage many people's complaints.
Outdoorag011
An old coworker of mine who flew 220ish times a year for a decade has flown every single airline and SWA was at the bottom of his list. Had very few positive things to say about them.
Howdy Dammit
AG
I fly on average every other week. SWA is the bottom of my list. Had to fly to St Louis last week which is a SWA hub. Could fly SWA direct or delta connecting and chose the latter. Can't stand SWA. At least this is an attempt to move in the right direction.
Bayou City
It's Air Walmart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.