Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

76,811 Views | 476 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Red Pear Realty
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scimitar said:

Scimitar said:

We really need to add economics to primary and secondary school education

To be fair, "inflation levels immediately following a pandemic that 1) massively screwed with S&D and 2) encouraged a historically unprecedented spending spree, and oh by the way, the USD is also the world reserve currency and other countries are acting even crazier than we are, and shoot, let's not even talk about automation and AI and the production explosion on the horizon" isn't exactly an economics 101 topic. We're in uncharted territory here and a lot of smart, experienced people disagree on this.
Scimitar
AG
To be fair, unless you're a Boomer (or especially if you are), most folks have been in "uncharted territory", their whole lives.

But too many people are conflating multi-decade QE doomsday drivel with what's happened the last 12-16 months.

Covid sickness closing down meat packing plants - higher brisket cost has nothing to do with actual inflation

Lumber prices skyrocketing and then crashing - higher new home builds as folks moved out of high priced cities, then existing home sales...and now, rising rents as folks get priced out (another reason to think things will snap back)...one-off reaction that has nothing to do with actual inflation

Federal unemployment kicker payments - paid more to stay at home and now raising labor costs...government-induced but has nothing to do with actual (market-driven) inflation

By and large any "recession" we saw was government induced. Likewise, any inflation we're seeing is a release we're seeing from those restrictions, and a little government intervention too (wages)

Funny how most people worry about inflation more than recession as if they are separate conditions...but that's another discussion altogether

But, yes, some of my fellow experienced Wall Street colleagues agree with me, and some disagree

That's why and how markets trade
The above references an opinion and is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.
evan_aggie
AG
Quote:

Covid sickness closing down meat packing plants - higher brisket cost has nothing to do with actual inflation

You aren't really this naive, are you? Do you think higher beef prices today really have anything to do with the beef industry operations in June/July of 2021 due to Covid?

You go outside right? Things have been back to "normal" for 3-4 months. There were more people back-yard grilling last year stuck at home 24-7 than there are today.

If I'm a business, and I care about my bottom-line, I'm going to start jacking my prices because the belief in inflation is almost as strong as any theoretical/fundamental you can dream of. I read a couple of articles about the last bout of inflation, and some of it is self-fulfilling as much as it is anything else.

Credit is easy. Borrowing is easy. Companies having to offer $15.00/hr to get people onboard aren't reducing everyone else's wages next year back down to $12.00/hr. They'll walk.

Yeah, maybe in 6 months I won't pay $5.99/lb for brisket, but I'm not sure if I'll see $2.89 again in the foreseeable future.
Quinn
AG
I get the feeling that you should trust this Scimitar guy when it comes to agricultural commodities..
ABATTBQ11
AG
evan_aggie said:

Starting wages for McDonalds and Chipotle aren't going to return back to less than $15/hr.

Lumber isn't dropping back down to $200.

Chipotle and McDonald's don't have $15 starting wages. Average? Yes (at corporate stores). Starting? No.

Lumber back down to $200? What decade do you live in? Lumber hasn't been at $200 for a long time. Try $350-$400 as a realistic average. Lows around $250, but saying back down to $200 is just asinine. It's at <$600 now after almost hitting $1700 just 2 months ago.

The sky is not falling.
Stive
AG
Quinn said:

I get the feeling that you should trust this Scimitar guy when it comes to agricultural commodities..

How can I blue star this a few more times?

Scimitar
AG
evan_aggie said:

Yeah, maybe in 6 months I won't pay $5.99/lb for brisket, but I'm not sure if I'll see $2.89 again in the foreseeable future.

I'm gonna start a new inflation gauge and call it the CPB index. Consumer Price (of) Brisket
The above references an opinion and is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.
mazag08
AG
Scimitar said:

evan_aggie said:

I'm gonna start a new inflation gauge and call it the CPB index. Consumer Price (of) Brisket
Does it have options?
Scimitar
AG
Asian, American or European?
Casey TableTennis
AG
evan_aggie said:

Quote:

If I'm a business, and I care about my bottom-line, I'm going to start jacking my prices because the belief in inflation is almost as strong as any theoretical/fundamental you can dream of. I read a couple of articles about the last bout of inflation, and some of it is self-fulfilling as much as it is anything else.

I was writing about this just last night in an economic brief I am penning and am increasingly viewing the worry over inflation becoming a momentum building factor. However, just because it may become self-fulfilling, doesn't mean it will become self-fulfilling. Case in point, the worry really expectation of hyper-inflation coming out of the credit crisis was an order of magnitude greater than inflation worries today, yet never came to be.

The economy and labor markets are increasingly complete. Where a gap exists, opportunity exists. If businesses and/or labor participants build in inflation expectations higher than others, I believe we will see innovation, automation, ingenuity, and even good old hustle, step in to fill the gap. Of course it won't be instant, but it will happen. We are already seeing an affordable housing movement with various solutions. Price stickiness is real, but so are substitution effects and they moderate inflation like clockwork, albeit on a delay.
evan_aggie
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

Starting wages for McDonalds and Chipotle aren't going to return back to less than $15/hr.

Lumber isn't dropping back down to $200.

Chipotle and McDonald's don't have $15 starting wages. Average? Yes (at corporate stores). Starting? No.

Lumber back down to $200? What decade do you live in? Lumber hasn't been at $200 for a long time. Try $350-$400 as a realistic average. Lows around $250, but saying back down to $200 is just asinine. It's at <$600 now after almost hitting $1700 just 2 months ago.

The sky is not falling.

I was partially exaggerating, but I'm not sure if we're on the same page regardless. No one in the right-mind would seriously consider hyper-inflation as a reality with the USD.

But there iis a camp that says, "Look, lumber is declining! See, the price increase is transistory. There is no inflation".

I was just pointing out that we're still not back to the long-term average as you mentioned: $350-400. It's still 50% higher. And I'm just wondering if it is stubborn and stays $500+, what does that indicate or mean? Is it inflation? Is it a lot of demand for building due to easy monetary policy?

*Lumber @ $610*

Everyone could see that the $1000+ was basically a panic run on wood. Hell, there were probably a bunch of funds trading paper-lumber in massive quantities playing a game adding fuel to the fire.
Deputy Travis Junior
I get your point, and agree that a lot of this inflation was caused by government action, but does the distinction really matter? If I'm a small business and my payroll just increased 10-20%, I would argue that it is unimportant, at least to me, whether the increase was caused by a market-wide decline in confidence in the USD or my government meddling with my potential labor pool via stimulus checks to low income workers.

This is doubly true given the stickiness of wages. Once all these stimulus measures disappear - and there's a healthy debate to be had over what will even expire and what will be made permanent, but that's another thread - do you see employers giving a bunch of workers a bunch of $3-5/hour paycuts? My guess is that this will be the new normal and all those costs will end up flowing through to the price of many goods.

This isn't runaway, economy-ruining inflation but I wouldn't say it's the insignificant speed bump that you seem to think it is either. It is a very real shock that devalues savings, screws with budgets, and does everything else that inflation does.
evan_aggie
AG
Quote:

If businesses and/or labor participants build in inflation expectations higher than others, I believe we will see innovation, automation, ingenuity, and even good old hustle, step in to fill the gap. Of course it won't be instant, but it will happen.

But what does it mean in the end?

QSRs are adding automation rapidly to remove the need for employees at counters? Do those jobs migrate to home healthcare as the heavier % of retirees need assistance?

Perhaps the slower growth in US population itself will put a damper on future inflation and we'll stagnate like Japan.
Scimitar
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

I get your point, and agree that a lot of this inflation was caused by government action, but does the distinction really matter? If I'm a small business and my payroll just increased 10-20%, I would argue that it is unimportant, at least to me, whether the increase was caused by a market-wide decline in confidence in the USD or my government meddling with my potential labor pool via stimulus checks to low income workers.

This is doubly true given the stickiness of wages. Once all these stimulus measures disappear - and there's a healthy debate to be had over what will even expire and what will be made permanent, but that's another thread - do you see employers giving a bunch of workers a bunch of $3-5/hour paycuts? My guess is that this will be the new normal and all those costs will end up flowing through to the price of many goods.

This isn't runaway, economy-ruining inflation but I wouldn't say it's the insignificant speed bump that you seem to think it is either. It is a very real shock that devalues savings, screws with budgets, and does everything else that inflation does.
You're misunderstanding me. Elsewhere in this thread, along with the stock market thread, I've highlighted the stickiness of wages as a result of government shenanigans (and my comment that it was actually quite brilliant strategically).

But looking at one or two line items, which I've also pointed out, makes inflation not.

That's my point and we are in agreement that the economy is not running away...yet anyway.
SteveBott
AG
Another Fed Chairman saying this is temporary or 'transitory'.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/yellen-sees-several-more-months-of-rapid-inflation-worries-about-impact-on-home-buyers.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm
MaxPower
Scimitar said:

I've said it before elsewhere, but last year's "recession" was actually a government-induced shutdown. So, by extension, the higher prices were seeing now, with some exceptions, are also government-induced (particularly in labor with unemployment "kickers" that pay you more to stay home, and also reflecting tax policy fleeing high tax apartment cities to low tax home ownership suburbs).

Good article in this weekend's Barron's On the Crisis and Inflation that draw parallels from coming out of WWII rationing (and increased spending and inflation fears)with coming out of this pandemic. Remember, similar and identical are two different words. The idea is we apply some principles of the past to inform the present and future. For example,

Quote:

Despite the inflation fears shared by Holden and other economy watchers, these unspent funds didn't finance a postwar consumption boom

Even Milton Friedman wrote in 1980 that

Quote:

The reported price increases in 1946 and 1947 were not really inflation, but merely "the unveiling of price increases that had occurred earlier.

Investors really fear higher interest rates because technology development will get more expensive. But, I'd argue technology is actually deflationary. As we continue to automate, and get more efficient, it eventually brings costs down.

In the interim, you could look at companies that have a long history of increasing their dividends and whose yields outpace inflation. Like a few others, I like deep value stocks here too.

The one caveat in the article, with which I agree, is

Quote:

Perhaps instead of worrying about a temporary uptick in inflation after the pandemic ends, Americans should focus more on the danger posed by weak consumer recoveries abroad that could hit U.S. exporters and widen the trade gap.

Keep in mind that people have been fearing runaway inflation since 2008.
The last quote has me wondering if we have offsetting factors. Basically mass increase in efficiency that should be deflationary and mass increase in money supply and debt that should be inflationary. The two seem to have counteracted one another.

Another way of looking at it is the government is robbing those with significant cash wealth of the theoretical deflation that should increase the value of their dollars as a result of increased efficiency and automation by deflating the currency. Because the net inflation has been "normal" no one bothers to worry about it. I do have to wonder how much longer than balance can be maintained.
evan_aggie
AG
SteveBott said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/yellen-sees-several-more-months-of-rapid-inflation-worries-about-impact-on-home-buyers.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

So the folks agreeing to print $100b a month or whatever don't think inflation is an issue. Okay. I feel better.
SteveBott
AG
You should.
mazag08
AG
Casey TableTennis said:

evan_aggie said:

Quote:

I was writing about this just last night in an economic brief I am penning and am increasingly viewing the worry over inflation becoming a momentum building factor. However, just because it may become self-fulfilling, doesn't mean it will become self-fulfilling. Case in point, the worry really expectation of hyper-inflation coming out of the credit crisis was an order of magnitude greater than inflation worries today, yet never came to be.

The economy and labor markets are increasingly complete. Where a gap exists, opportunity exists. If businesses and/or labor participants build in inflation expectations higher than others, I believe we will see innovation, automation, ingenuity, and even good old hustle, step in to fill the gap. Of course it won't be instant, but it will happen. We are already seeing an affordable housing movement with various solutions. Price stickiness is real, but so are substitution effects and they moderate inflation like clockwork, albeit on a delay.

To be fair, we never really corrected anything from 2008. We merely kicked the can down the road. Lately, we've been finding new bigger cans to kick down the road.

We hope that the road never ends, but someone will eventually pay.
Scimitar
AG
Excellent questions and I think your first point is spot on. The reason why we haven't seen doomsday inflation since the financial crisis and QE is because of offsetting conditions in this new asset-light economy.

Savers, for sure, have been penalized and I believe it's by design. We are a consumption-based society that can only grow through spending.

Take the housing market: from home builders to home improvement stores, and all the ancillary industries that feed into and out of housing. Owning a piece of land and a home is as American as apple pie and baseball. So, politically, it's easy to exploit given the number of industries involved.

All things come to an end at some point, and the "I was right but early" crowd will be shrill, but I don't believe the worries of the last 13 years will be the reason for things falling apart.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Evan, Scimi is a pro trader.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Agsrback12
Inflation is happening. Whether or not it is temporary is the only debate.
YouBet
AG
SteveBott said:

At what point is it no longer transitory?

There is nothing definitive about her statement on it either. She's completely hedging with this statement because she has no clue:

Quote:

"We will have several more months of rapid inflation," Yellen told Sara Eisenduring a "Closing Bell" interview. "So I'm not saying that this is a one-month phenomenon. But I think over the medium term, we'll see inflation decline back toward normal levels. But, of course, we have to keep a careful eye on it."
SteveBott
AG
I see nothing wrong with that statement. That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm watching the market but have done that anyway for 18 years.

How many Covid checks did folks get? One and when it gone it's gone. Those funds will go through they system and we are back to pre checks.
mazag08
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Evan, Scimi is a pro trader.

Some of the top traders in the world are completely split on inflation outlook. Being a pro trader is great. But it doesn't make you 100% right.
YouBet
AG
SteveBott said:

I see nothing wrong with that statement. That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm watching the market but have done that anyway for 18 years.

How many Covid checks did folks get? One and when it gone it's gone. Those funds will go through they system and we are back to pre checks.
My point is that she has no idea if it's transitory. She's hedging.
SteveBott
AG
Well if you read my links so does the federal reserve governors and it is their job to know.
Scimitar
AG
Quote:

You do realize that analysis isn't absolute, right? Even disregarding analysis is taking a stance.
Jabin
Scimitar said:

Quote:

You do realize that analysis isn't absolute, right? Even disregarding analysis is taking a stance.
Yep, why shouldn't she hedge.There are only two or three things in life that are 100% certain.
YouBet
AG
Scimitar said:

Quote:

Of course.
Post removed:
by user
administrative errors
Rumors the US is going to get downgraded.... inflation is no big deal.
Post removed:
by user
evan_aggie
AG
Well, to be fair, even with 1.8% inflation it devalues.

So that's the nature of an inflationary and growing economy. I do think it's worse when your population growth slows and you start injecting **** Tons of money into the money supply.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.