Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

76,816 Views | 476 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Red Pear Realty
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not nervous but EVERYTHING I purchase for my business is more expensive today than it was the first of the year. Is that not inflation?

And for the P/E discussion, I was asked to consider Square Inc. to add. The ratio is 399 today so yes, the old rule of 15 is definitely from 1989. Think I will take a hard pass.
SteveBott
AG
Did you read my article? Explained there.
Scimitar
AG
And see my post as well
The above references an opinion and is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.
Mas89
AG
Yes. But I'm not buying into " transitory ". Not when all the products are so inflated. I see it daily. No way all these different material prices go back to where they were. I'm sure we will continue massive stimulus packages and money printing going into the 22 and 24 elections but in my opinion, there are lots of balloons that will bust eventually.
Edit to add that steel and lumber prices and many related products are up 200-400 percent. Petroleum products and plastics 30-40 percent.
These are materials we purchase regularly. But I'll be glad if they all magically go back to pre COVID prices. Or should I say pre-Biden?
bones75
AG
All I know is that every good or service I am buying has gone through the roof.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scimitar
AG
We really need to add economics to primary and secondary school education
The above references an opinion and is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.
BCG Disciple
AG
CPI expected early Tuesday. Recall May was .6, with the last 3 months at 2% and last 12 months at 5%.

I'm calling .8%, last 3 months at 2.2% and last 12 at 5.6%. Analysts are predicting .5%.
Jabin
Well you were wrong!

It was 0.9% increase over last month, even higher than you were estimating. Annual was 5.4% I can't readily find last 3 months.
BCG Disciple
AG
Wow! They revised down some prior months, but last 3 months is at 2.3%.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
mazag08
AG
Scimitar said:

Yes we do. And ban Keynesians from teaching it.
Deputy Travis Junior
You're right obviously that a lot of this is transitory. If you suppress demand for a year and then lift restrictions, you're going to see a hefty demand spike that temporarily drives up prices. But, in the last month, we've gone from "it's all transitory and it will be gone soon" to "actually, slightly elevated inflation is going to linger another 18-24 months." And oh by the way the executive branch is pushing lavish new trillion dollar programs that would be annoying to finance at higher rates (and as we know, increasing rates is an important tool to combating inflation).

Not saying the world's ending, but it's something to keep an eye on. And we sure as hell don't need to be worrying about deflation right now.
Scimitar
AG
Well, most of that (spending) has been the inflation hawk call since 2008. No doubt, at some point, we'll see real, non-government-driven (sorta) inflation and the "I was early but I was right" hawks will come out in full force.

That said, things like labor costs are sticky. I actually think it was a brilliant move by the Democrats to back-door in a minimum wage increase with the federal unemployment "kicker" that let people stay at home and make more than when working.

And for yet another side, tech is deflationary and will also drive down...or stagnate,.. those higher labor costs in the aggregate (less workers needed can offset cost per worker).
mazag08
AG
Scimitar said:

Well, most of that (spending) has been the inflation hawk call since 2008. No doubt, at some point, we'll see real, non-government-driven (sorta) inflation and the "I was early but I was right" hawks will come out in full force.

That said, things like labor costs are sticky. I actually think it was a brilliant move by the Democrats to back-door in a minimum wage increase with the federal unemployment "kicker" that let people stay at home and make more than when working.

And for yet another side, tech is deflationary and will also drive down...or stagnate,.. those higher labor costs in the aggregate (less workers needed can offset cost per worker).
Tech is deflationary, except for microchips and everything that depends on them apparently.

Are REE's and our inability to mine and process them while relying on China also deflationary?
Scimitar
AG
mazag08 said:

Scimitar said:

Tech is deflationary, except for microchips and everything that depends on them apparently.

Are REE's and our inability to mine and process them while relying on China also deflationary?

Disagree

Look at flat screen TVs....what "old" plasmas cost vs. the latest 5K UHD (or whatever it is now) cost...when each came out and within a few years after

As for REEs, I'll point to the oil sands of Canada back in the day. No one cared about them when oil was $10.

The market has a pesky habit of curing high prices with high prices
Scimitar
AG
Even though I maintain YoY (2020 vs 2021) isn't an appropriate look, here's a good look at inflation Feb 2020-Jun 2021, in terms of sector contribution to overall CPI

Jabin
How is housing classified as a negative contribution?
evan_aggie
AG
Jabin said:

How is housing classified as a negative contribution?

Exactly. I don't need hard data to say that is a load of crap.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/12/rent-prices-are-surging-thats-ominous-news-inflation-rates/

Quote:

That makes the recent rise in rents, which comprises about a third of the total market basket, crucial to the future inflation rate. One- and two-bedroom apartment rents were up roughly 5 percent from a year ago in June, even though rents since then had plummeted in some of the nation's largest cities as residents left during lockdowns to pursue jobs elsewhere or telecommute from cheaper regions. Rents for single-family detached homes, the type most people own, were up even more 7.9 percent in April. The consumer price index, however, only reported annual rental inflation of a bit more than 2 percent in May. These larger hikes are going to start to impact the CPI as soon as existing homeowners figure out that their neighbors are getting more for their homes and start giving higher rent figures to BLS pollsters.
Scimitar
AG
You just quoted how it can be net down in a 16 month period

Edit for clarity
evan_aggie
AG
Yeah, we must be reading two different articles.
Scimitar
AG
You do realize how these comparisons work right? There's this month this year vs this month last year and then there's the total amount of change from this point in time to that point in time.

Also this,

"Housing units are not in the CPI market basket. Like most other economic series, the CPI views housing units as capital (or investment) goods and not as consumption items. Spending to purchase and improve houses and other housing units is investment and not consumption. Shelter, the service the housing units provide, is the relevant consumption item for the CPI. The cost of shelter for renter- occupied housing is rent. For an owner-occupied unit, the cost of shelter is the implicit rent that owner occupants would have to pay if they were renting their homes."

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/factsheets/owners-equivalent-rent-and-rent.pdf
evan_aggie
AG
Do you think rent prices are going up or down in the next 6-12 months?

Do you think the average rent price in the US will be at its highest level within 12 months?
Scimitar
AG
Depends where

Probably not... depends where

But selective short-term increases makes inflation not
bmks270
AG
Rents are sky rocketing most places.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Mas89 said:

Yes. But I'm not buying into " transitory ". Not when all the products are so inflated. I see it daily. No way all these different material prices go back to where they were. I'm sure we will continue massive stimulus packages and money printing going into the 22 and 24 elections but in my opinion, there are lots of balloons that will bust eventually.
Edit to add that steel and lumber prices and many related products are up 200-400 percent. Petroleum products and plastics 30-40 percent.
These are materials we purchase regularly. But I'll be glad if they all magically go back to pre COVID prices. Or should I say pre-Biden?

Lumber has crashed back down to earth recently if you haven't noticed. It's at $600/thousand BF. Steel is still way up, but it may be leveling off. There is sky high demand, but some of that may be because commercial projects and probably a lot of goods production was slowed or postponed in 2020 and you're now seeing it happening on top of what would have happened in 2021 anyway. Look at steel production worldwide. It increased for 5 years straight (16% total) until it slipped 1% in 2020. The world is playing catchup.
evan_aggie
AG
There was a supply/demand shock, but people looking at the "return" to earth are missing the fact that long term forecasts show lumber materials +40-50% higher than they've been for the last decade.

I went to HEB and a damn packet brisket was $5.99 a lb! do you know how many briskets I cooked early in the pandemic for $2.89 a lb?
jh0400
AG
bmks270 said:

Rents are sky rocketing most places.

How much of this is white collar workers fleeing high COL cities on the coasts for areas with limited rental supply?

Also, per my earlier comment, this isn't worrisome because it is a manifestation of runaway inflation but instead a further bifurcation of the economy. We're well on our way to a Work From Anywhere (WFA) class and a blue collar / gig class that exists solely to provide comfort and convenience to members of the WFA class.
Scimitar
AG
jh0400 said:

We're well on our way to a Work From Anywhere (WFA) class and a blue collar / gig class that exists solely to provide comfort and convenience to members of the WFA class.
Just tweeted out that quote...well said.
ABATTBQ11
AG
evan_aggie said:

There was a supply/demand shock, but people looking at the "return" to earth are missing the fact that long term forecasts show lumber materials +40-50% higher than they've been for the last decade.

I went to HEB and a damn packet brisket was $5.99 a lb! do you know how many briskets I cooked early in the pandemic for $2.89 a lb?

Forecasts are merely prognostications. They're not guarantees. All prices could just as easily, and I would argue will, return to what they would have been anyway once supply chains and demand are settled and back to normal.

In the world of time series forecasting, covid is arguably known as something called a shock event. They cause immediate and lasting disruption to auto correlation and moving averages within systems, but their effects fade over time. Covid is without a doubt an utterly massive shock event, but that doesn't mean its effects won't eventually fade and leave us right back on track just like any other. It has unbalanced many things, and they are currently funding their at back to equilibrium. It will take longer than after other shock events, but I have a lot of confidence it will happen.
SteveBott
AG
And some of the smartest guys in the room say it's temporary

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/powell-says-the-fed-is-still-a-ways-off-from-altering-policy-expects-inflation-to-moderate.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm
500,000ags
AG
That type of increase isn't just inflation. That type of increase signals supply/demand issues at a production-level, distribution-level, geography-based, etc.
evan_aggie
AG
Starting wages for McDonalds and Chipotle aren't going to return back to less than $15/hr.

Lumber isn't dropping back down to $200.
SteveBott
AG
Pre Covid lumber was not 200. More like 245. And there was not a retail company in my city paying minimum before Covid. Minimum was 10 but many offered 11
Scimitar
AG
Scimitar said:

evan_aggie
AG
SteveBott said:

Pre Covid lumber was not 200. More like 245. And there was not a retail company in my city paying minimum before Covid. Minimum was 10 but many offered 11

And are they offering $11 today or more?
SteveBott
AG
I dont know. I changed my eating habits in Covid and rarely eat fast food anymore. They all had signs up before the virus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.