Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,988,120 Views | 231573 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Swollen Thumb
confucius_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sitting here waiting on Israel to do whatever it is they are going to do....................
LMCane
confucius_ag said:

Sitting here waiting on Israel to do whatever it is they are going to do....................
I can't imagine that anyone actually believes Israel hitting or not hitting Iran is what makes the market move.

Every day since October 8, 2023 Iran has been striking Israel in the North. that's 192 days. to believe that some one off strike is the REAL factor behind the market falling is ridiculous.

as if during a 2 + year war in Ukraine with a nuclear power, that Israel can move the markets more than interest rates, P/E ratios, earnings reports, Elon Musk tweets.

Iran has been literally firing missiles at tankers in the Red Sea for MONTHS now.
confucius_ag
AG
sts7049 said:

Bonfire.1996 said:

How can you play this? Rocket Mortgage (RKT) will rocket higher if the 10 year bond tumbles. The 10 year bond will tumble, farther than market forces would normally push it, if the FED drops rates prematurely. If the FED drops rates prematurely, the smart people will recognize a bail out, and they will know the FED is no longer interested in inflation, but is interested in the overall financial stability of the USA. That means an eventual return to ZIRP and a Japan style fiscal policy.

RKT leaps are the play.

time to load up!
Added some 12C leaps yesterday..
Boy Named Sue
AG
Been trying a pretty simple RSI based strategy recently that seems to work well for intraday 0-2dte options on SPY. I'd love to hear thoughts and criticism from the hive, specifically on how to spot times when there's a better chance for a reversal.

On the 1-minute chart, it seems that every time the RSI goes above 70 the price drops, and every time the RSI goes below 30 the price rises. Sometimes it's only for a few minutes, and sometimes a little trend reversal occurs.

It doesn't always pay big returns, but it seems to never lose a ton of money as long as you don't stay in very long. But sometimes it'll generate big returns if there's a reversal, because puts are cheaper at 70 and calls are cheaper at 30. I've scalped some big gains that easily make up for small losses I incur if I miss the exit.

I'm still a novice and really just piddling around when I have a few minutes available and get an alert from TV that RSI is approaching the 70/30 levels.

Thoughts? Seems too simple, honestly.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

I can't imagine that anyone actually believes Israel hitting or not hitting Iran is what makes the market move.

Every day since October 8, 2023 Iran has been striking Israel in the North. that's 192 days. to believe that some one off strike is the REAL factor behind the market falling is ridiculous.

as if during a 2 + year war in Ukraine with a nuclear power, that Israel can move the markets more than interest rates, P/E ratios, earnings reports, Elon Musk tweets.

Iran has been literally firing missiles at tankers in the Red Sea for MONTHS now.
When was the last time the Ukrainians took out a set of Generals at a Russian Embassy with a Drone Strike in another territory not in Ukraine or Russia?
confucius_ag
AG
LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

You can only poke a bear so many times. Israel is going to do it on their own timeline. They are not going to telegraph their move like Iran just did.
Not saying it will be a long term thing but it will move the market in the short term but it is a catalyst none the less.
ProgN
LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

I'm glad you popped in here today because you came to mind when I was evaluating the stocks on my primary list. You previously mentioned that you're more of a buy and hold investors as opposed to active traders and I have 2 that you should do your own DD on because I think they're right up your alley.

1) ZTS -- This one isn't sexy or volatile but it is on sale imo. At it's current price I'd bet it'll return you 30%+ within 12 months and won't keep you up at night.

2) PANW -- This one is more volatile but it's a solid company that's in a Darvis box and my indicators are indicating it's about to reverse. It's also coiled tight for an explosion in one direction due to the Bollies getting real tight. It's going to bust out hard and I believe it will be to the upside. Institutions love this stock and don't forget about the HOF stock guru Pelosi invested a couple of million in calls. That's a decent insurance policy in my book.

Bonus pick:

3) POWL -- I'm hoping for $120 and will add if we have a violent correction in the macro, but I won't be surprised if it's double it's current price in 12 months.

ETA: I forgot to say that POWL has a very small float, so you'll have to stomach dramatic stock moves some days. I think they'll split the stock soon though, thus increasing their float.
Heineken-Ashi
Boy Named Sue said:

Been trying a pretty simple RSI based strategy recently that seems to work well for intraday 0-2dte options on SPY. I'd love to hear thoughts and criticism from the hive, specifically on how to spot times when there's a better chance for a reversal.

On the 1-minute chart, it seems that every time the RSI goes above 70 the price drops, and every time the RSI goes below 30 the price rises. Sometimes it's only for a few minutes, and sometimes a little trend reversal occurs.

It doesn't always pay big returns, but it seems to never lose a ton of money as long as you don't stay in very long. But sometimes it'll generate big returns if there's a reversal, because puts are cheaper at 70 and calls are cheaper at 30. I've scalped some big gains that easily make up for small losses I incur if I miss the exit.

I'm still a novice and really just piddling around when I have a few minutes available and get an alert from TV that RSI is approaching the 70/30 levels.

RSI is a decent indicator but doesn't necessarily tell you a reversal is likely by itself. In the meat of a breakout move in either direction, RSI will likely bottom or top well before the market does. It can continue to move in that direction and it can even start to bounce while the market continues it's breakout. So by itself, it can get you trapped. Couple it with MACD and wait for both to send signals. RSI bottoming and MACD turning up is a much better sign.

You're looking for divergence. An oversold reading in price coupled with oversold MACD that is starting to bounce and oversold RSI. Opposite for overbought.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
ProgN
Boy Named Sue said:

You know the rules counselor. Lawyers don't work for free.

J/K good to see you man.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why the spike?
ProgN
Boy Named Sue said:

If you remind me later tonight, then I'll give my .02. My intraday trades incorporate RSI, MACD, and Stoch. So your approach is similar to my approach. I'll tell you what works for me and you can see if that helps. I just don't have the time at the moment.
Petrino1
LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

Agreed. The Iran news and its effect on the market is non-existent. We were basically seeing weekly/daily stock market ATH's from January to the end of March of this year. Stocks were going down weeks before Iran attacked Israel. This so called "dip" is just the normal ebbs and flows of the market.

I saw this interesting statistic: Since the 1950s, the index has posted over 1,200 new highs, averaging more than 17 new highs per year more than one in every 20 trading days.

As of March 7, 2024, the S&P hit its 16th ATH of the 2024 year. I believe it has hit 3 more ATH's after that for a total of 19 for the year. The last ATH was on March 27. We are already 2 ATH's above the yearly average, and its only April.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks for the thorough analysis.

I'm currently hoping to ride the bounce up to around $40 TNA and get out. (Which seems around in line with $200 IWM.)

Figured $190 support, so I'll probably give myself a cushion and set my stop a bit below there.
Ag CPA
AG
Feel like the market is just running out of gas, with rates rising again people are content with taking profits and moving back into HYSAs and MMs for awhile.
LMCane
many thanks I will look into it!

I have been trimming in my brokerage account all the ETFs and sector trackers and moving into Toronto Bank bonds (5.8% yield) and into individual stocks.

this is only like 1-2% of entire portfolio but it seems to be overweight the best performing and high alpha makes the most sense- rather than being dragged down by DIA/ONEQ/SPY all the companies which are going to start to fall in the next few months.

I'm not sure how long JPow can keep all these balls in the air simultaneously when the dot plots are moving from six rate cuts down to one now..
Heineken-Ashi
You were dead on with the target.

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
LMCane
Petrino1 said:

LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

Agreed. The Iran news and its effect on the market is non-existent. We were basically seeing weekly/daily stock market ATH's from January to the end of March of this year. Stocks were going down weeks before Iran attacked Israel. This so called "dip" is just the normal ebbs and flows of the market.

I saw this interesting statistic: Since the 1950s, the index has posted over 1,200 new highs, averaging more than 17 new highs per year more than one in every 20 trading days.

As of March 7, 2024, the S&P hit its 16th ATH of the 2024 year. I believe it has hit 3 more ATH's after that for a total of 19 for the year. The last ATH was on March 27. We are already 2 ATH's above the yearly average, and its only April.

yes, thank you.

I believe you are 100% correct.

it is sheer laziness / ignorance even for those on CNBC to claim that: "oh the market is falling today on April 16 because Israel is getting ready for a potential strike which may or may not happen"

considering there has been a two year war with threats between nuclear powers

and a six month war in Gaza with Iran firing missiles every day for months now.

and no one claimed the market going up parabolic for NVIDIA and SuperMicro was because of the Ukraine war (which was raging every single day) and the Israel/Gaza war raging much harder 2 months ago than today.
Heineken-Ashi
Not playing it, but wouldn't be surprised to see TSM $132 after earnings tomorrow morning and then get followed with a little bounce.

Petrino1
LMCane said:

Petrino1 said:

LMCane said:

confucius_ag said:

yes, thank you.

I believe you are 100% correct.

it is sheer laziness / ignorance even for those on CNBC to claim that: "oh the market is falling today on April 16 because Israel is getting ready for a potential strike which may or may not happen"

considering there has been a two year war with threats between nuclear powers

and a six month war in Gaza with Iran firing missiles every day for months now.

and no one claimed the market going up parabolic for NVIDIA and SuperMicro was because of the Ukraine war (which was raging every single day) and the Israel/Gaza war raging much harder 2 months ago than today.
Agreed, stocks dont just keep hitting ATH's every week indefinitely, there is typically a pull back at some point, especially when one stock (NVDA) was basically carrying the entire market on its own. There wouldve been a small dip with or without the Iran/Israel conflict. This is a nothing burger in the grand scheme of things.

People forget that the S&P was down 24% from its ATH in October 2022. Now that was a nice dip lol.
Heineken-Ashi
DFS going to fill the gap down to $111 with earnings today?

texagbeliever
My look ahead scenario:
  • Spy opens at 497 / SPX below 5000
  • Day trades down to low 490s
  • Friday sees a small bounce back
  • TSLA, AAPL, GOOG, META have earnings next week. nice bounce back recovery. This also shakes out all of the put buyers on Thur/Fri.
  • Following market starts its fall.

Above is just me thinking of a narrative that would make sense given the timing. I'd be surprised with the market having a red week with big name earnings unless those are bad (which given the timing of inflation, seem unlikely). This is more thinking through how I would want to trade at the open tomorrow if that first assumption holds true. I know I'd be very tempted to go super bearish but I think it is too obvious.
flashplayer
AG
texagbeliever said:

My look ahead scenario:
  • Spy opens at 497 / SPX below 5000
  • Day trades down to low 490s
  • Friday sees a small bounce back
  • TSLA, AAPL, GOOG, META have earnings next week. nice bounce back recovery. This also shakes out all of the put buyers on Thur/Fri.
  • Following market starts its fall.

Above is just me thinking of a narrative that would make sense given the timing. I'd be surprised with the market having a red week with big name earnings unless those are bad (which given the timing of inflation, seem unlikely). This is more thinking through how I would want to trade at the open tomorrow if that first assumption holds true. I know I'd be very tempted to go super bearish but I think it is too obvious.

I am grappling with this too. The last few weeks my mindset was hold on for dear life until at least after the tech and semiconductor earnings through late April / early May and hope for a nice pre-exit bounce as I walk out the door with my bags of money.

However, things have gone darker red much quicker than I was expecting, and the repeated weak bouncebacks we have had are making me think further implosion and capitulation are imminent despite what is almost a sure thing to be stellar earnings. I have started believing the stellar earnings are already baked in to even the recently lower prices on semis and tech.

I still haven't exited my positions yet but was seriously considering doing it tomorrow if we have another red day. I don't want to miss a new bounce but I am more averse to riding a big wave down.
Heineken-Ashi
Why not reduce your risk and then buy some QQQ calls a month or two out once it starts to bounce to give you some upside exposure?

texagbeliever
I'm looking at strategy more from a call/put option trading perspective. So timing is more critical. A long position and hold is a different decision process.
texagbeliever
I'm looking at NFLX forecasted earnings of $4.5 which is $0.8 more than Oct earnings. Anyone believe the 30% increase in value for Netflix?
BaylorSpineGuy
texagbeliever said:

I'm looking at NFLX forecasted earnings of $4.5 which is $0.8 more than Oct earnings. Anyone believe the 30% increase in value for Netflix?

Can't comment on that. I did cancel my sub in January. Content is garbage. Haven't watched a NFLX series in probably almost 2 yrs.

Don't let me bias you, though. They were projecting major growth in subs last earnings call. No idea how it'll play.
BaylorSpineGuy
I'm trying to decide what to do with my ROKU and SNOW shares. Down 11% since purchasing SNOW at $168. I know their execs bought, but makes me wonder if my thesis was wrong.

Down about 9% on ROKU shares. Same dilemma. Was my thesis wrong. Based for a longtime in stable range but has lost that $60 support. Backtested the other day and couldn't hold.

Better to preserve capital? Ugh….
HoustonAg2014
AG
texagbeliever said:

Nothing makes sense these days on the streaming stocks. I think this FUBO vs the big boys will set the tone for the next (very long time) on streaming. I hope FUBO comes out on top.

Netflix cut everyone off of the "I'm on my parents Netflix" recently so we will see if the younger crowed decided to pay their own way or not.

I think streaming is about to get real interesting.
texagbeliever
Thanks for the replies, Houston & SpineGuy.

I guess Netflix is going to be the test case for Ads with streaming (small impacts to Apple & Amazon). They really rolled it out this quarter. I could see a bump in value but more interested in those subscription numbers.
Diggity
AG
Netflix has had ad supported plans for over a year now.
lobwedgephil
Heineken-Ashi said:

We have hit the upper end of my target box for bottom of BTC. Looks like halving is still a day or two away.

Target range was 48k to 59k and we hit 59k.

My main recommendation is to buy BTC. But if you don't want to and just want to trade the ETF's, know that they generally track at par minus management fees. Do your due diligence. Leveraged ETF's can seem enticing but usually include futures rolls and can have decay that underperforms actual BTC. The only ETF I am considering is GBTC. Make sure the fund you pick actually invests in BTC directly.

I would avoid ones like BITO (even if they perform well) because of things like this..

Quote:

BITO provides exposure to bitcoin returns in an ETF wrapper. The fund does not invest directly in bitcoin. The fund will invest in cash settled, front-month bitcoin futures, traded on commodity exchanges registered with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), such as the CME Futures Exchange. The value of bitcoin futures is determined by the CME Group and Crypto Facilities Bitcoin Reference Rate (CME CF BRR), which aggregates bitcoin trading activity across major global bitcoin spot trading venues during a one-hour window. The one-hour window is divided equally into twelve 5-minute segments. Each segment has a volume-weighted median (VWM). The BRR value is expressed as the arithmetic mean of the 12 VWMs. Prices are usually determined at 4:00 p.m. (London Time). The fund itself gains exposure through a wholly owned Cayman Island subsidiary.

If $59k was the bottom, upper target is $120k. If we get down to the $48k zone, $100k remains the upper target.

Below $59k next support is $57k.
Just food for thought, and everyone should decide for themselves. But the big money has bailed on GBTC since the new ones came on.

texagbeliever
You are right, I mixed that up with their increase of the ad-free plan cost combined with getting rid of password sharing. It was a bigger hubbub in Q1 2024 based on the results of a google search "netflix commercials". Don't know that i put too much stock in that.
HoustonAg2014
AG
I think (and I could be wrong) that subscription numbers will be very important this quarter. It will show if people were on the app because it was free for them through other people or if they really wanted it.

I'm not sure the IP address thing has reached everyone yet so I could be wrong. But I had heard it was coming then saw it happen…. I think you will see most people stick for a while but they need new content (good content).That will be the real question.

I'm no expert. I just report what I see. Biggest thing to happen in streaming is this lawsuit because the only live events people care about are sports.

Most tv shows if not all were filmed a long time ago so it's not really live. Sports is always live. That's the big gorilla.
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I'm trying to decide what to do with my ROKU and SNOW shares. Down 11% since purchasing SNOW at $168. I know their execs bought, but makes me wonder if my thesis was wrong.

Down about 9% on ROKU shares. Same dilemma. Was my thesis wrong. Based for a longtime in stable range but has lost that $60 support. Backtested the other day and couldn't hold.

Better to preserve capital? Ugh….
I have positions in SNOW at a higher price than you do and I'm holding and looking to add to that position. Their new CEO was employed by GOOG for something like 13 years before he joined SNOW. He was also a part of their AI division. I suspect that SNOW gave bland forward guidance last earnings call because the CEO announced his retirement and passed the torch to the new CEO. It has been beaten up but that means it's set up for them to exceed expectations in the first qtr of the new CEO. Imo, it's optics. We will find out soon enough if I'm right.

ROKU, I'd avoid. I've made a lot of money on ROKU in the past, but it's not worth the risk to me now.
M4 Benelli
Prog where you looking to add on SNOW? Think it hits 130-140?
First Page Last Page
Page 6402 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.