Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,997,942 Views | 231597 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by El_duderino
aggies4life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone in beyond meat? Up 40%+ after hours

Now 50%
AceAggie05
AG
Why are so many BioTech stocks popping off right now? A quick google search didn't reveal anything
Heineken-Ashi
aggies4life said:

Now 50%
I refuse out of principle.
South Platte
AceAggie05 said:

Why are so many BioTech stocks popping off right now? A quick google search didn't reveal anything
Probably because $30K told them to. He's a LABU maestro.
The Pilot
AG
aggies4life said:

Now 50%
I remember when they were around 100. Crazy how much they've dropped.
aggies4life
AG
Up 93% ah now
bmoochie
AG
Ranger222 said:

Ranger222 said:

I've been holding out for a long time on building a basket of stocks around CRISPR technology/biotechs, just due to timing and allowing some of these companies to get more mature, but I think now, in the early half of 2024, is a decent time to begin building. However, I like the prices that some of these are trading.

My basket currently:

CRSP
NTLA (My personal fav)
BEAM
PRME (least developed but prime editing has the largest future upside)

Could add to it:
VRTX (monster on its own, would love to accumulate at a lower price)
CRBU
EDIT

Picks and shovel plays off of it:
ILMN (liking this one right now anyway)
TXG
PACB
TWST

Caution: Biotechs have been a ROUGH sector due to money no longer being free and while some of their research programs are advanced and in clinical trials, will still need injections of cash. Could still be some downside risk here.

Damn....I could have thrown a dart at any one of these and made money. that's impressive.
aggies4life
AG
Great job! Wish I saw this when you posted. Still time to get into these?? Also - how long do you plan on holding?
El_duderino
Dang. I must've scooped up the last copy from Thrift Books for $10. Dang thing was in brand new condition as were the other 2 books mentioned on the first page of this thread
El_duderino
I'll be looking at it for tomorrows open. Very good R/R like you said, especially with it sitting right around $14.2.
Heineken-Ashi
Quote:

Beyond Meat said it was planning multiple steps to boost profits next year as the company grapples with persistent weak demand for its plant-based meat.

The El Segundo, Calif.-based company said it would cut operating expenses and cash use, expand margins by lifting prices and right-sizing its production, and take certain non-cash charges related to inventory and assets, among other actions.

Chief Executive Ethan Brown said much of the company's reset toward profitable growth is "coming into view."

"We believe these sweeping changes, together with measures we plan to pursue this year to bolster our balance sheet, will strengthen our near-term operations as we pursue our vision of being the global protein company of the future," Brown said.

Beyond Meat posted a loss of $155.1 million, or $2.40 a share, in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with a year-ago loss of $66.9 million, or $1.05 a share. Analysts polled by FactSet expected a per-share loss of 89 cents.

Beyond's sales fell 7.8%, to $73.7 million, with an increase in volumes offset by lower revenue per pound. Analysts polled by FactSet expected $66.7 million in revenue.

The company is guiding for revenue of $315 million to $345 million in 2024, compared with the $344.4 million forecast by analysts.

Beyond Meat said factors that have hurt its business are ongoing, including weaker demand for plant-based meat, inflation and higher interest rates.
Nobody wants our products. So we're going to cut costs. In turn, we expect to make money.
Talon2DSO
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Quote:

Beyond Meat said it was planning multiple steps to boost profits next year as the company grapples with persistent weak demand for its plant-based meat.

The El Segundo, Calif.-based company said it would cut operating expenses and cash use, expand margins by lifting prices and right-sizing its production, and take certain non-cash charges related to inventory and assets, among other actions.

Chief Executive Ethan Brown said much of the company's reset toward profitable growth is "coming into view."

"We believe these sweeping changes, together with measures we plan to pursue this year to bolster our balance sheet, will strengthen our near-term operations as we pursue our vision of being the global protein company of the future," Brown said.

Beyond Meat posted a loss of $155.1 million, or $2.40 a share, in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with a year-ago loss of $66.9 million, or $1.05 a share. Analysts polled by FactSet expected a per-share loss of 89 cents.

Beyond's sales fell 7.8%, to $73.7 million, with an increase in volumes offset by lower revenue per pound. Analysts polled by FactSet expected $66.7 million in revenue.

The company is guiding for revenue of $315 million to $345 million in 2024, compared with the $344.4 million forecast by analysts.

Beyond Meat said factors that have hurt its business are ongoing, including weaker demand for plant-based meat, inflation and higher interest rates.
Nobody wants our products. So we're going to cut costs. In turn, we expect to make money.

The cynic in me also believes they will also fund "meat contributes to climate change" narrative so Congress will mandate a certain percentage of non-meat products are forced to be consumed. There's certainly a move to destroy farm and Ag already.
YNWA_AG
AG
https://wes****erresources.net/news-releases/2024/02/27/wes****er-announces-25-additional-increase-in-phase-i-production-to-12500-mt-annually-while-maintaining-existing-budget/

Quote:

Centennial, CO February 27, 2024: Wes****er Resources, Inc. (NYSE American: WWR), an energy technology and battery-grade natural graphite development company ("Wes****er" or the "Company"), is announcing an additional increase in Phase I production to 12,500 mt per year of battery-grade natural graphite anode material. In November 2023, Wes****er previously announced a capacity increase from 7,500 mt to 10,000 mt per year.
During the fourth quarter of 2023 and early 2024, Wes****er worked with its third-party engineering firm and equipment manufacturers to increase design capacity of coated spherical purified graphite ("CSPG") production for Phase I of the Kellyton Graphite Processing Plant ("Kellyton Plant"). As a result, Wes****er now expects to produce 12,500 MT of CSPG annually an increase of 25 percent while remaining within the Phase I cost estimate of $271 million. "Wes****er is making great progress commercially with the signing of our first multi-year offtake agreement, and now technically by adding additional Phase I production," said Frank Bakker, Wes****er's President and CEO. "We believe the market interest in our CSPG is due in part to the recent Foreign Entity of Concern guidance requiring EV tax credit vehicles use of IRA-compliant graphite by 2025, and by new Chinese export restrictions on graphite that have reduced security of supply."
"Customer engagement and market demand for domestic CSPG remains strong following our February 5th announcement of our first multi-year offtake agreement with volumes ramping up to 10,000 mt per year," said Terence J. Cryan, Wes****er's Executive Chairman. "By increasing the production of Phase I at the Kellyton Plant to 12,500 mt per year, Wes****er is responding to the customer demand signals for 'Made in the USA' battery anode material. This 25% increase in Phase 1 plant capacity simultaneously improves the projected Kellyton Plant economics, and importantly, the inherent estimated profitability of our company. It will also aid us in securing the debt financing planned for the completion of Phase 1."
Heineken-Ashi
ACAD disappointing. Not sure if I'll bail on my shares. Will wait to see what it does premarket. The hope for that massive gap fill is fading. Maybe later this year.
Chef Elko
AG
Good news!

This reminds me, all WWR holders need to listen to this Bloomberg - Odd Lots podcast with the CEO of Novonix, a synthetic graphite manufacturer. He shed a lot of light on the graphite industry itself and the battery metals industry as a whole. He threw out some figures including a $6-8k cost per ton to manufacture and a $7-10k per ton figure they sell it for. I believe the synthetic graphite players are the ones who received a good amount of the IRA subsidies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-20/these-are-the-challenges-of-building-a-us-battery-industry?sref=HuYPILpU
Heineken-Ashi
I'm showing an RSI sell signal on SPX on weekly candles. The last 3 times I got one..

12/30/19 - 3258 SPX, got up to 3393 week of 2/17/20 and then sold off to 2191. The 2/17/20 high was a double sell signal.
1/29/18 - 2870 SPX, sold off same week to 2532 by the following week. Rebounded to 2940 September of 2018 then sold off again to 2346.
3/6/17 - 2400 SPX, sold off into the end of that month to 2322, a very innocent move before RSI rode the top in choppy fashion until the 2018 high.

Nasdaq and DOW also with weekly sell signals. Russell is only one with room to go higher and no sell signal yet.
bmoochie
AG
That was before AI. SPX $10k
Heineken-Ashi
bmoochie said:

Soaring number of Americans are now 401(k) millionaires (yahoo.com)

I'm a contrarian with stuff like this. Markets almost always turn when everyone has been convinced to look up. I think we are nearing that point.
Chef Elko
AG
This is part of the reason I think we see higher inflation prints and the fed doesn't lower rates mid year. Consumer spending will stay strong due to stock market gains and large increases in damn near all portfolios. The paper net worth figures are too juicy.
bmoochie
AG
lol I was being facetious. I think we are way overdue but trying to not have tunnel vision and miss chances now.
El_duderino
You think we pullback and gap fill all the way back down to 4400? Would be a ~12% correction
Heineken-Ashi
El_duderino said:

You think we pullback and gap fill all the way back down to 4400? Would be a ~12% correction

I could see that followed by a blowoff top into year end. That would align with the 1999-2000 fractal that we've been following.

I could also see us going straight up and topping now.

I try to remove bias, but we're at a point where despite the strength in the market, you might still be better off de-risking in the long run.

Who ends up better, the guy with paper gains up to 6k that erased quickly and it takes 15 years to recover? Because that's what happened to those who invested in the October 1999 bottom and didn't get out before the 2000 drop.

Or the guy who went to cash at 5k, placed trailing stops on all longs, and waited for 4k to re-invest?

Nobody knows what will happen. But the DCA long term guys are going to feel pain at some point. And those millions on their screen will be gone.

aggies4life
AG
Who is playing $mara and $snow earnings tomorrow?!
frankm01
Txducker said:

OA1 TexAgs book recommendation from the very first post on this thread. This book is out of print and has been expensive. I found 3 for sale under $20 this morning on ebay and this is a rare find (I bought one copy for myself). I posted the ebay search below for the book. You will notice others trying to sell the book for $249 and $1,200 on ebay.

* ISBN 9781557385970
* Book Title: Handbook of Technical Analysis : A Comprehensive Guide to Analytical Methods, Trading Systems and Technical Indicators
* Author: Darrell R. Jobman

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Handbook+of+Technical+Analysis+%3A+A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+Analytical+Methods%2C+Trading+Systems+and+Technical+Indicators+Jobman&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

If $1200 wasn't bad enough, this seller wants 4.00 for shipping.
Brewmaster
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

bmoochie said:

Soaring number of Americans are now 401(k) millionaires (yahoo.com)

I'm a contrarian with stuff like this. Markets almost always turn when everyone has been convinced to look up. I think we are nearing that point.
Amen. I saw a yahoo article today, "Barclays believes S&P could hit 6000, and soon". LOL.

I guess I'll have to look up what Cramer is saying too - probably pumping.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's nearly impossible to do what you're describing though. Studies show that trying to time the market, and missing just a couple of green days each year, can cost hundreds of thousands in the long run.

DCA'ing / time in the market will usually work out best.

Granted, I say this as I sit on ~$50k cash because I'm expecting a retracement, but considering the 5.25% APY and the fact that I'm maxing all retirement contributions, I'm not too concerned if we never get that retracement.
Brewmaster
AG
aggies4life said:

Who is playing $mara and $snow earnings tomorrow?!
I have some MARA shares, but no options, premiums were crack prices. I plan to sell before earnings if we get a nice pop in the morning.

There was also a ton of COIN flow today and then quickly after it appeared, COIN sold off. The bull in me wants to believe they're hiding a bitcoin pump but who knows.
Brewmaster
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Philip J Fry said:

With regards to the halving event, you think the price of BTC is going to go down? I'm looking at this event as the catalyst for killing off any miner who isn't operating efficiently and isn't swamped with debt. Outside of MARA, who fits this bill?
Yes, down in a consolidation type move. Not a selloff. But the miners will selloff a little harder. MARA is very well positioned. CLSK is absolutely on a tear and have overtaken RIOT. Those are the two I will be playing along with CORZ, and I've outlined my CORZ strategy many times - they have a lot to prove but the potential to be the most lucrative of all.
looking at old posts and looking into miners more. How the hell did I miss CLSK??! Look at the last 2 weeks, it went from $8 to $23!
Heineken-Ashi
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's nearly impossible to do what you're describing though. Studies show that trying to time the market, and missing just a couple of green days each year, can cost hundreds of thousands in the long run.

Granted, I say this as I sit on ~$50k cash because I'm expecting a retracement, but considering the 5.25% APY and the fact that I'm maxing all retirement contributions, I'm not too concerned if we never get that retracement.
Nobody said to time anything. It was just a thought experiment. But there are signs. I've posted about it plenty. Economic warning signs. FED warning signs. Banking warning signs. Technical warning signs. You don't have to pick the top. But if you get out before its too late, you will absolutely crush the people who hold their positions on the way down hoping for a rebound that might not come for a decade or longer.

I've been very clear about not exiting this market and waiting for support to break before jumping ship. And no, missing out on some green sessions won't matter at all when your entire portfolio falls unless you realize your gains and move your money to a cash position. You think it matters if you held NVDA from $300 to $1,000 if you look up in a year and its at $500? Not to mention, your strategy would have been DCA'ing at every level on the way up, continually raising your basis to a level that would take double the amount of DCA'ing on the way down to lower. And despite the current aura around it, NVDA will fall, as will everything at some point.

Because what you continually fail to understand is that this isn't the market and economy we had leading up to 2000, or 2008. The economic conditions we have today are rancid. The last 12 years have been fueled by government spending and a falling dollar, almost exclusively. The conditions at present are threating a long term cyclic end. How long term? Try nearly 100 years. A full debt leveraging cycle coming to a close. 2000 was a tech bubble. 2008 was a finance and real estate bubble. COVID was a pin *****. Those were symptoms. And they were rebounded with loose monetary policy that crushed the value of the dollar. They are likely to look like blips if we get the end of a long-term cycle. And this blowoff top we are likely experiencing is exactly what you would expect in the end of a cycle. 100% fueled by FED liquidity, FOMO, and strong revenue earnings on increasingly higher prices with a weakening consumer up to his tits in debt. This is ALL the bubbles.

So when you say "usually works out". You better hope this is "usually". Because if it's not, your money is going to be stuck in assets that are falling while the people in cash positions, who realized their gains while yours were just on paper, will be rising.
Brewmaster
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

how is it impossible? It's simply patience and time. You play differently until then, short swings, scalps etc, protect your gains.

Any big drop will take days to play out. The first limit down day though and the DCA guys will be ****ed. I think that is the point.

If we get a retracement of .618, do you plan to add the whole way down? if we hit 5200 and then tank, that's 3275, 50% is 2600 There will be great buying opportunities down there.

and no offense meant, I know you are a bit of a perma bull, so trying to offer different perspective.
krosch11
AG
Same sellers are on Amazon. I bought another copy for 25 bucks used like new. A few other used good condition ones out there .

The 1200 dollar one on Amazon is listed as "collectible" . What a waste
ProgN
Heineken-Ashi said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody said to time anything. It was just a thought experiment. But there are signs. I've posted about it plenty. Economic warning signs. FED warning signs. Banking warning signs. Technical warning signs. You don't have to pick the top. But if you get out before its too late, you will absolutely crush the people who hold their positions on the way down hoping for a rebound that might not come for a decade or longer.

I've been very clear about not exiting this market and waiting for support to break before jumping ship. And no, missing out on some green sessions won't matter at all when your entire portfolio falls unless you realize your gains and move your money to a cash position. You think it matters if you held NVDA from $300 to $1,000 if you look up in a year and its at $500? Not to mention, your strategy would have been DCA'ing at every level on the way up, continually raising your basis to a level that would take double the amount of DCA'ing on the way down to lower. And despite the current aura around it, NVDA will fall, as will everything at some point.

Because what you continually fail to understand is that this isn't the market and economy we had leading up to 2000, or 2008. The economic conditions we have today are rancid. The last 12 years have been fueled by government spending and a falling dollar, almost exclusively. The conditions at present are threating a long term cyclic end. How long term? Try nearly 100 years. A full debt leveraging cycle coming to a close. 2000 was a tech bubble. 2008 was a finance and real estate bubble. COVID was a pin *****. Those were symptoms. And they were rebounded with loose monetary policy that crushed the value of the dollar. They are likely to look like blips if we get the end of a long-term cycle. And this blowoff top we are likely experiencing is exactly what you would expect in the end of a cycle. 100% fueled by FED liquidity, FOMO, and strong revenue earnings on increasingly higher prices with a weakening consumer up to his tits in debt. This is ALL the bubbles.

So when you say "usually works out". You better hope this is "usually". Because if it's not, your money is going to be stuck in assets that are falling while the people in cash positions, who realized their gains while yours were just on paper, will be rising.
Very good post and I bolded the parts that are the best.

Buy and hold, DCA, is not the best way to increase your wealth rapidly but most 401Ks do not permit you to actively manage your money so it's the best available.

I, you, or anyone will never pick the top or the bottom but riding the wave and remaining nimble is my preferred choice. I do have a large cash position built up, but that doesn't mean I sit on my hands trying to predict the future. I choose my battles/opportunities and ride waves, book gains and increase my cash pile.

This market is euphoric and FOMO has retail like hungry piranhas fighting to get a bite. A lot of small investors are going to get trapped and they'll complain that it's rigged instead of learning that their emotions locked them up when great companies go on sale.

Greed keeps most from booking gains when they should and regret consumes them because they're locked up and are not able to take advantage of great stocks on sale.

I've experienced all of that and learned from my mistakes. I've learned and my discipline has profited me extremely well. I crush all mutual fund, DCA and buy and hold investor returns annually. Take this advice if wish, but never discourage others taking control of their accounts and actively putting in the time and energy to better themselves and their families. JMO
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure, you can exit all positions, go full cash, and a black swan event wipes out everyone's retirement accounts.

But it's equally if not more likely that you miss both the top and the bottom, and the market climbs long enough that you end up buying a lot of your positions for more than you sold.

I'm talking about long positions though. Index funds, ETFs, and a handful of blue chips like AAPL.

Your NVDA example is one I wouldn't plan on holding much longer anyway.
bmoochie
AG
What are your thoughts of going all cash in 401ks? I know we would never be able to time it but do you think it's worth messing with?

For context I'm 34 so I know when I retire it will overall be higher. That's how it's designed. Just curious on your thoughts.
Spaceship
AG
bmoochie said:

What are your thoughts of going all cash in 401ks? I know we would never be able to time it but do you think it's worth messing with?

For context I'm 34 so I know when I retire it will overall be higher. That's how it's designed. Just curious on your thoughts.

I'm in the same boat. My 401k is up 40% in the past year and it "feels" like a correction is coming. Im considering temporarily changing to cash/bonds too, but I'm sure if I do, the market will just keep crushing it…
First Page Last Page
Page 6336 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.