Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,871,421 Views | 227636 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by EliteZags
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Josepi said:

Question for the board about trailing stops.

I bought a pretty good amount of MARA yesterday, and before the market opened this morning I put in a trailing stop of 2% to trigger in case it went south. The stop triggered this morning, and I sold my shares. I still made a good profit, but I left quite a bit on the table.

That leads me to believe that I set my trailing stop too tight.

Where do y'all set trailing stops? Do you use percentage, or a dollar amount? Does it vary for each occasion, or do you typically stay with the same setup?

Also, why did the stop trigger? The stock never dropped by 2%. There were a few fluctuations this morning, but never a 2% drop.
I use trailing stops for exits, but I never do it BEFORE market open. Too many things happen in the first few minutes of trading. I'd avoid this in the future.

I usually use a dollar amount, and only for profitable exits after a recent unexpected good run. I set them pretty tight, as I'm already ready to exit, but don't want to give up on the possibility of a last minute run upwards.
Heineken-Ashi
Towns03 said:

Is anyone still tracking BIG? Did it break free of a down trend this morning?

Not quite yet. Held the relative area I was watching for entry, but I want to see proof first. I'm going to need it to get above $5.60, then $5.95, with out dipping back under $5.60 along the way. Do all of that and I will consider entry with stop at $5.50.

This is one that will have multipe chances to prove its back on the bull train. And there will be multiple entry opportunities before it really takes off and starts the climb to $10 and potentially as high as $13-$15 range.
Josepi
AG
Thanks. I set the trailing stop at about 8am, as I had some work stuff coming up and I knew I would be away for a while.

I'll learn from this.
joekm3
AG
At what point are you moving to bonds or cash?
Heineken-Ashi
Josepi said:

Question for the board about trailing stops.

I bought a pretty good amount of MARA yesterday, and before the market opened this morning I put in a trailing stop of 2% to trigger in case it went south. The stop triggered this morning, and I sold my shares. I still made a good profit, but I left quite a bit on the table.

That leads me to believe that I set my trailing stop too tight.

Where do y'all set trailing stops? Do you use percentage, or a dollar amount? Does it vary for each occasion, or do you typically stay with the same setup?

Also, why did the stop trigger? The stock never dropped by 2%. There were a few fluctuations this morning, but never a 2% drop.
Trailing stops should only be for very bullish uptrends where you know you won't catch a top but don't want to miss out by selling too low. And 2% is pretty tight.

This MARA move was just breaking out of a consolidation. The stop is still $16 as it would need to get above $21.25 (a 2x move of it's last up trend from the recent low) and then hold above the top of the previous uptrend to signal that something other than upward chop is happening. Between $16 and $21.25 and it can merely consolidate further. Right now it's making a classic upward retracement pattern from a major low. But it can turn bullish. This is not a trailing stop scenario.
M4 Benelli
M4 Benelli said:

Everyone keep an eye on AEHR. 52 wk low, circling the drain. This thing rockets off good news, with a high over 50. Can easily see it hit the median in short order off decent news. Everything is frothy, so it would be a set and forget, toe in the water entry. With that being said they offer a unique business that has been expanding. Fwiw

Big day on no news, grab your rocket packs.

Heini mind doing your thing with this ticker?
Heineken-Ashi
joekm3 said:

At what point are you moving to bonds or cash?
When the major indexes break supports.

SPX Supports
1. 4900 area
2. 4845
3. 4680
4. 4600

If all of those happen in a downward pattern that doesn't overlap much, I will wait for the next bounce and then raise some cash. From there..

1. 4350
2. 4100

If those happen, market is setting up for big move down. Will likely see a move to 4400-4600 hundred which would be your last chance to raise cash before big drop.

Look at 2022 and how the first move down happened. It telegraphed itself and then gave you a chance to get out with a retracement to the upside. Same thing in 2000.

It isn't until we have an initial drop breaking all supports followed by a "denial" period where the market tries to recover (last chance to get out) that you see the big drops. The bullishness has to first be broken. Until then, trying to claim a top is in can be painful.
Heineken-Ashi
Uranium correction might be underway. Potential buy the dip play on UEC incoming. Lot of work to do though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TNA still bouncing...
ProgN
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TNA still bouncing...
Ranger222
AG
lck90 said:

Cramer touting ARM as a buy at these levels... Run or?

JMO but not sure it prints double digits again for a long time. I'd imagine it'll test the 100 level at some point in the next few weeks, but I've said the same about NVDA or AMD retesting levels during their recent parabolic moves and I'm still waiting so who knows
Ranger222
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

PATH has to break the previous high. If so, target is gap fill $29 with highest being $35 probably. If it can't, a break below $22.16 will mean it is threatening to try for lower gap fill $20 with $18's as a possibility.

I'll get super excited about PATH once it clears and holds $25. That's a VWAP all the way from it's IPO
AceAggie05
AG
Dang. I really wanna pull the trigger on SMCI, but I'm afraid it's nearing it's cap. But it just keeps moving on up.
Heineken-Ashi
Stop can be moved on new MARA shares to $19.75. You don't want to see it break below for further immediate upside.

Long term shares I'd leave alone unless you can't stomach a possible move to $10-$12 in the short to mid term.
South Platte
AceAggie05 said:

Dang. I really wanna pull the trigger on SMCI, but I'm afraid it's nearing it's cap. But it just keeps moving on up.
The stocks I'm holding are doing OK, but I'm missing out on all of this SMCI, PANW, ARM, PLTR, MARA fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
S&P trying to hit $5000 this week...

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Alright i volunteered as tribute and just sold $22 calls for next week on my shares for $1.06
Y'all are welcome
AceAggie05
AG
I've got a VERY small holding in SMCI. Wishing I could put more in there, but I know that probably isn't a sound decision.
EliteZags
AG
any thoughts on CELH?

thinking of jumping in next time it wanes towards 50

would move some over from PLAY which I've been holding since low teens
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NYCB puts for lotto friday?
Philip J Fry
AG
So what's the take away? Be liberal with taking your profits here and wait for another dip?
Brewmaster
AG
What's your thoughts on SOFI boss?
Seems to fit similar setups you like, big recent volume day, little consolidation after, now pushing above $8
Heineken-Ashi
Philip J Fry said:

So what's the take away? Be liberal with taking your profits here and wait for another dip?
When did you get in and at what price?

If your shares are new, I'd take some profits here and set stop at $19.75 on the rest. If it goes higher, we're looking for $23-$23.25 for next round of profits and move stop up to $21
Heineken-Ashi
Brewmaster said:

What's your thoughts on SOFI boss?
Seems to fit similar setups you like, big recent volume day, little consolidation after, now pushing above $8
I've liked SOFI for a while but it's been taking a while. You definitely need to see over $9.50 or it might be forming a downward setup of lower highs, merely needing a lower low to engage harder. I'd have stop at $7.20 unless you got in during the $4-$5 range.

If it can break out, I've got $14-$17 as next major high.
bhanacik
AG
hit 21.25 profit exit on MARA. will watch for any retracement and possible re-entry.

Thanks HA!
bhanacik
AG
TLT getting back into low 90's slowly for possible re-entry
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm in at 18.65 on Mara and 1.67 on WULF.
EnronAg
AG
here we go..............
Heineken-Ashi
Philip J Fry said:

I'm in at 18.65 on Mara and 1.67 on WULF.
Been reading that WULF has a cash flow problem. No HODL. Growing but slow. Probably a candidate for M&A by one of the bigger ones.

If you are trying to build a long term position on MARA, you could sell half at $21.25 and get your basis to around $16 which is where our stop is before a deeper correction would take hold. You could also wait to see if it runs to $23, leaving your stop at $19.75 where this current bullish move starts to overlap and lose juice. Selling half at $23 would lower basis to near $14 on remaining.

Also CC's and put selling to lower basis
ProgN
Like Dak yells before every interception, "Here we go".

SPY 500
EnronAg
AG
ProgN said:

Like Dak yells before every interception, "Here we go".

SPY 500
I'll bet you a beer that SPX hits 5,000 first
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, that's my issue with WULF too. Just a ton of debt and they are barely turning profitable though they have more expansion coming online soon.

Catching this knife edge. If it goes too high, they'll likely sell some shares for cash flow and we'll start all over again
aggies4life
AG
what stop would you put on pltr shares right now?
Heineken-Ashi
aggies4life said:

what stop would you put on shares right now?
Depends. If it's an earnings play you don't want it dipping below the high from level below the most recent intraday (less than daily candles) high. You want a constant stairstep. You don't see stairs dip below the high of the stair you just left.

If you were in earlier for a longer position, you don't want to see it dip back into the chop zone between $14 and $22. I'd have stop on long term share at $21.75 knowing that if it crosses there you will either have an opportunity to get back in at much lower levels, or it will create a new setup to confirm bullishness allowing you to get back in then.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 6304 of 6504

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.