Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,892,569 Views | 227735 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Txducker
El_duderino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got my $325 alert set for it.

Another note, does anyone on ToS platform use custom script studies at all?
Chef Elko
AG
I'm only selling SMCI if it gets to $1000
ProgN
Well ****, AH, Blackrock announced they increased their position in POWL. They now control 12.4% of POWL. The stock jumped. They report earnings tomorrow AH. I have a suspicion they're going to have a strong report. Blackrock is not in the losing money business.

Bird Poo
AG
ProgN said:

Well ****, AH, Blackrock announced they increased their position in POWL. They now control 12.4% of POWL. The stock jumped. They report earnings tomorrow AH. I have a suspicion they're going to have a strong report. Blackrock is not in the losing money business.

Aw man I was waiting on your trigger pull!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Holla! I have way too big a position, hopefully premiums will be juiced and i can sell some calls
ProgN
Bird Poo said:

ProgN said:

Aw man I was waiting on your trigger pull!
Me too, wasn't expecting the Blackrock news AH today. I'm going to gamble and buy some shares tomorrow and play their earnings release when the market closes. It's below where I sold it and I don't see myself getting hurt. I'M BUYING SHARES, NOT OPTIONS, because I don't mind holding it if I'm wrong. I just want some exposure because if they do crush and have good forward guidance, then this thing could blow right past $105.

Like always, everyone make their own decisions because no one knows the future, except for maybe Blackrock.

I will post tomorrow when I buy and I may stagger my buys through the day depending on market conditions and my indicators on the 5m/5d intraday chart.
HoustonAg_2009
Same boat. Buying lower than my last round of selling. Thanks Prog.
nortex97
AG
Ranger222 said:

I've been holding out for a long time on building a basket of stocks around CRISPR technology/biotechs, just due to timing and allowing some of these companies to get more mature, but I think now, in the early half of 2024, is a decent time to begin building. However, I like the prices that some of these are trading.

My basket currently:

CRSP
NTLA (My personal fav)
BEAM
PRME (least developed but prime editing has the largest future upside)

Could add to it:
VRTX (monster on its own, would love to accumulate at a lower price)
CRBU
EDIT

Picks and shovel plays off of it:
ILMN (liking this one right now anyway)
TXG
PACB
TWST

Caution: Biotechs have been a ROUGH sector due to money no longer being free and while some of their research programs are advanced and in clinical trials, will still need injections of cash. Could still be some downside risk here.

This is an interesting list but I would be cautious about ILMN and as well TWST this year, fwiw. The Chinese are entering our market for sequencers (they won a big lawsuit with illumina a couple years ago) and that will depress their margins/opp moving forward. Twist had some nice run with library prep etc. but their product is frankly inferior to others and I am not hearing at all from researchers/labs that they are a preferred solution/vendor moving forward.
joekm3
AG
ProgN said:

What's your entry point on POWL?
Heineken-Ashi
With NOV threatening one more time a drop to $17-$18 level, we can potentially have the low R/R entry level we've been waiting on.
Spoony Love
AG
This is what I'm waiting for as well. If it sticks around this $19.50 level into earnings on Friday, I'll probably add a few.
ravingfans
AG
ProgN said:

I jumped in on POWL at $80.885 with a stop (mkt) at $74
also AMD at $176.95 with a stop (mkt) at $167

just small positions to get the hang of things
ProgN
joekm3 said:

ProgN said:

I'm buying first entry here 81.57, will look to add more before the close.
ravingfans
AG
ProgN said:

joekm3 said:

ProgN said:

what kind of stop are you setting?
ProgN
$81.57 but might add more before the close
M4 Benelli
Everyone keep an eye on AEHR. 52 wk low, circling the drain. This thing rockets off good news, with a high over 50. Can easily see it hit the median in short order off decent news. Everything is frothy, so it would be a set and forget, toe in the water entry. With that being said they offer a unique business that has been expanding. Fwiw
EnronAg
AG
and here comes the afternoon bulls back from lunch for the end of day meltup...here comes another SPY all time high
ProgN
ravingfans said:

ProgN said:

joekm3 said:

ProgN said:

Sorry, misread. I'm not setting a stop
ravingfans
AG
ProgN said:

ravingfans said:

ProgN said:

joekm3 said:

ProgN said:

got it--since we are maintaining the preserve our capital stance, is this an exception to the rule. Perhaps more variability than other stocks?
ProgN
Not for me, like I posted last night, if it explodes higher then I'm in it but if they whiff and drop it's a stock I don't mind holding due to their earnings growth YoY and will more than likely add more if it falls.
Heineken-Ashi
I bought 100 shares of AMD right before the bell. Had a hunch $190 would be next target. Initial down move was a little scary, but it held support and now we're off.
El_duderino
What's with the 3% drop AH?
ProgN
ravingfans said:

ProgN said:

ravingfans said:

ProgN said:

joekm3 said:

ProgN said:

got it--since we are maintaining the preserve our capital stance, is this an exception to the rule. Perhaps more variability than other stocks?
Powell Industries Announces Fiscal 2024 First Quarter (globenewswire.com)
Quote:

HOUSTON, Jan. 30, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Powell Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: POWL), a leading supplier of custom-engineered solutions for the management, control and distribution of electrical energy, today announced results for the Fiscal 2024 first quarter ended December 31, 2023. All comparisons are to the comparable period in the prior fiscal year, unless otherwise noted.

First Quarter Key Highlights:

Revenues totaled $194 million, an increase of 53%;
Gross profit of $48 million, or 24.8% of revenue, an improvement of 950 basis points;
Net Income of $24 million, or $1.98 per diluted share;
New orders totaled $198 million;
As of December 31, 2023, backlog had nearly doubled to $1.3 billion;
Cash and short-term investments as of December 31, 2023, totaled $355 million.
Brett A. Cope, Powell's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "Our first fiscal quarter was very much a continuation of the trends and strong results that we saw in our fourth quarter. Despite what is typically a seasonally slower period, we recorded $198 million of new orders which was higher sequentially by 15%. We also delivered revenue growth of 53% compared to the prior year, as we saw broad strength across most of our end market sectors. The solid revenue growth driven by the strength and quality of our backlog, coupled with terrific project execution and associated efficiency gains are translating to the improved profitability that we experienced in the quarter. Our gross margin of 24.8% was 950 basis points better than the prior year, while delivering $1.98 of earnings per diluted share in the first quarter."
Estimate was $.84 shr they reported $1.98 share

POWL SMASHED EARNINGS!!!!!
El_duderino
And here I was not buying sub $80 this morning
Heineken-Ashi
El_duderino said:

What's with the 3% drop AH?
I don't worry about it. Likely had a lot of earning players with tight stops that got shaken out on the initial move. It then started trying to turn up and was beaten back down. I accept my fate either way. I don't think this one has topped quite yet. I played this one with house money from the big move I caught last year.
HoustonAg_2009
Prog....The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Thanks for pointing out the move and the BR involvement. Of course, wish I purchased more today, but here we are!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
PEAD here we come!
My orders to sell covered calls didn't fill (2/16 100 strike at 4, then lowered to 1.5 and still didn't fill) so let's head for the moon!
Prog is the man! Wish I'd held smci...
ravingfans
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

PEAD here we come!
My orders to sell covered calls didn't fill (2/16 100 strike at 4, then lowered to 1.5 and still didn't fill) so let's head for the moon!
Prog is the man! Wish I'd held smci...
PEAD = Post-Earnings-Announcement Drift?
South Platte
If you don't follow this Stock Markets thread you're missing out. I've been selective with the companies I've purchased, but I've never lost money on a trade. I've usually sold at the right time or a little early.

Now I just have to figure out if it's a hold or trade.

Edit: Never lost money on a trade I've made as a result of a recommendation from this thread. I've lost plenty of money on garbage trades.
aggies4life
AG
For our future reference - where did you see the news about them increasing their position?
ProgN
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Wish I'd held smci...
Don't worry and be patient. It will rollover when the market does so we'll all have opportunities to buy back in and confident enough to buy a larger position in it for the ride back up. Don't allow your emotions to fomo you into bad decisions. Discipline is how you grow your accounts and outperform the indexes.
ProgN
aggies4life said:

For our future reference - where did you see the news about them increasing their position?
On Schwab. It's in the news section when you pull POWL, just scroll down.

ETA: I pull up all the stocks on my primary focus list everyday and scan the news headlines. If it looks important then I read it, anything with Blackrock in the title qualifies for that. That's also why I have a primary focus list of only 20-25 stocks and will add/remove ones as needed.
ProgN
South Platte said:

If you don't follow this Stock Markets thread you're missing out. I've been selective with the companies I've purchased, but I've never lost money on a trade. I've usually sold at the right time or a little early.

Now I just have to figure out if it's a hold or trade.

Edit: Never lost money on a trade I've made as a result of a recommendation from this thread. I've lost plenty of money on garbage trades.
FTR, If POWL hits $105+ tomorrow, then I'll probably book profits because I still think the market is about to rollover. I posted yesterday I bot 1 AMD 3/1 $150 put and it's looking like its going to reward me. It's hard not to bank that type of one day ROI.
South Platte
ProgN said:

FTR, If POWL hits $105+ tomorrow, then I'll probably book profits because I still think the market is about to rollover. I posted yesterday I bot 1 AMD 3/1 $150 put and it's looking like its going to reward me. It's hard not to bank that type of one day ROI.
Not questioning you, but seriously? This thing could run over $100 tomorrow??
ProgN
South Platte said:

ProgN said:

Not questioning you, but seriously? This thing could run over $100 tomorrow??
Yes, it's a microcap that prints money and they just smashed earnings expectations, raised their dividend (very little but still positive), and doubled their backlog. Pull up a one year chart and look what they did August 1st last year. It went from $60 to $90 the day after reporting earnings for a 50% ROI. I'm not expecting a 50% move tomorrow, but wouldn't complain if they did. I wouldn't think twice about selling it immediately.
First Page Last Page
Page 6284 of 6507

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.