Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,938,803 Views | 227804 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by I bleed maroon
joekm3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buy NOV now?
Heineken-Ashi
El_duderino said:

Looks like AMD hit the $145 mark and hopefully it goes back down for a better entry point
It's one of those tough ones where I feel pretty confident in its future, but confident enough to buy at overbought levels? Not sure. I'd like to at least see $125 again. But I cannot guarantee we will get it.
Heineken-Ashi
joekm3 said:

Buy NOV now?
That's your call. Earnings in February are a good spot to expect a catalyst. It generally doesn't move fast. With stop at $17, there's some risk buying here. But the chart still looks like a load up, so as long as under $22, it's in the buy zone.
El_duderino
Yeah I set up an alert for right around that $125 mark, but it just keeps going up
Heineken-Ashi
I like PINS with a $60 target. But I'd really like it if I could buy at $30 where the long term EMA's are and where it comes back to its volume shelf. Probably won't make the list, but will be one to watch for in the coming months.
Heineken-Ashi
TSLA is on the list. Expecting a pullback early next year to $220-$230 range. Target from there is $315-$340

Running list

OXY - Energy - O&G
SMCI - Tech - Hardware
AMD - Tech - Semiconductor
CRM - Tech - Software
CXM - Tech - Software
TLT - 20+ Year Treasury ETF
NOV - Energy - Equipment and Technology
TSLA - Consumer Discretionary - EV
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some weird movement today. That's the second sudden drop on the S&P.
El_duderino
AMZN introducing an ad/ad free tier for prime soon. Thinking it mirrors Netflix when they introduced ads?
Philip J Fry
AG
Anyone looked at WULF as a BTC miner? Interesting looking chart

Based on my very early look, their operating costs are 11.3K per bitcoin where MARA is around 18k? Currently trading at 3 dollars. I can't say I know enough about miners, but if this is true, is 20-30 dollars a share a reasonable future target?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
not weird movement. low volume, therefore easier to move if you're a big seller.
joekm3
AG
Most of my account is under management. I used $20k in a Fidelity account to learn the trade the past 6 months. I had mixed results, but the main thing I learned was that I was too impatient or at least not diligent enough to get back in at an upturn. I missed major gains by setting my loss limits at 4% loss. For example, I was in CRWD at about $160 over the summer. I stopped out and then missed the upturn. CRWD is now at $257. I plan to be more diligent this year and am following your 24 in 24. I plan to up my account to $50k. Again, this is my training. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I tried OA1's service but am not ready to commit to most of the day playing the swings.
Heineken-Ashi
Pull up the LUV chart on intraday candles. Look at the beautiful bull flag it's formed. I'm thinking $30 January calls with gap fill targets at ~$35 and ~$37. If Theta decay scares you then grab Feb.
Heineken-Ashi
joekm3 said:

Most of my account is under management. I used $20k in a Fidelity account to learn the trade the past 6 months. I had mixed results, but the main thing I learned was that I was too impatient or at least not diligent enough to get back in at an upturn. I missed major gains by setting my loss limits at 4% loss. For example, I was in CRWD at about $160 over the summer. I stopped out and then missed the upturn. CRWD is now at $257. I plan to be more diligent this year and am following your 24 in 24. I plan to up my account to $50k. Again, this is my training. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I tried OA1's service but am not ready to commit to most of the day playing the swings.
Don't EVER let yourself get FOMO after being stopped out. Stops are your way of managing your own risk. For as many that ran after a stop, there were likely others you would have been caught with your pants down had you not had them like so many traders in 2022.

I would recommend researching trailing stops. Paper trade with them until you get a feel. It's a way to manage risk without having to check in constantly.

But the real critical education comes with knowing support and resistance levels. It takes time in the market to get a real feel.

I personally don't like heavy risk when buying shares. I like setups where the reward is 30%+ with the risk at 10% or less. And I really prefer 5% risk, but it's much harder to tick levels off lows that give such low risk. So sometimes you have to let a stock build up off a low and show signs of a breakout.

Pull up the LUV chart on hourly candles. The low from today breaking is my get out zone. I don't care what happens after that, doesn't matter. The triangle bull flag setup breaks and in my mind, upside becomes lower probability. So if I'm buying shares, I buy at the open with stop set at $28.85. That's extremely low risk. But my targets are $35-$37. That's high reward compared to the risk. I'm thinking about doing options, but someone just learning might just play it with shares. And if the market opens below that stop level, you don't buy. Simple as that. Live to fight another day. There will ALWAYS be more plays.

Lastly, this is important. Not every stock is a play. When I find a setup I like, I always zoom out to longer timeframes to see what the longer term trend is. That will kill off some ideas as the longer term chart might be in a downtrend, so even short term bullishness could reverse quickly and blow up. I do look at fundamentals (though they are the least important outside of earnings plays). If markets only moved on fundamentals most stocks would go sideways between financial disclosure events. But the vast majority of stocks, even ones that end up being wildly successful, don't fit what I'm looking for. Or the risk is just too high for the level of reward.

Check out SBOW. First look at 5 min candles. That looks like a nice stup that could burst higher. But let's zoom out to daily candles. Yikes. The threat of the downtrend re-engaging is not fun for risk management. So I create an alert to go off if it makes a new low and I ignore it until then. Maybe I miss a bull run. But I'm saving my money for plays that have higher probability setups.
joekm3
AG
Thanks!
TxAG#2011
Philip J Fry said:

Based on my very early look, their operating costs are 11.3K per bitcoin where MARA is around 18k? Currently trading at 3 dollars. I can't say I know enough about miners, but if this is true, is 20-30 dollars a share a reasonable future target?

Bought WULF & SDIG today. Miner metrics don't matter nearly as much as bitcoin go up.
bmoochie
AG
Thanks for popping over. Miss you around these parts but hope you're doing well!
E
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Today's early trade called out was LULU expiring $170 calls. They hit low of $0.21 and my alert was set to the technical bounce, so chased entry to $1.72. They reached over $22!

But I was out at $10. $2200 for every $172 would have been wild. But $1000 against $172 isn't bad.

We rose above the outside bar, dropped right to my technical low intraday (ask the gang) and are waiting to see close.

ARM above $66. It can rip over $90 IMO.

ARM
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
EnronAg
AG
SPY bouncing off that $477.50 Jan'22 closing high multiple times today...only a matter of time before we blow thru that sucker and have ourselves a new AT closing high...
The Pilot
AG
Is anyone else having issues with selling via Schwab?
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
Schwab had a message saying they're having technical issues.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
bmoochie said:

Welp. Looks like it would have been good to load back up on TELL after the selloff of Charif news. Dammit
I panic sold it when it dropped to my entry point, so mad at myself rn.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
EnronAg said:

SPY bouncing off that $477.50 Jan'22 closing high multiple times today...only a matter of time before we blow thru that sucker and have ourselves a new AT closing high...

Hopefully. Bought some February puts just in case.
ProgN
P.H. Dexippus said:

EnronAg said:

Hopefully. Bought some February puts just in case.
I don't rec option plays, but I did the same today and will at the close tomorrow if we run into the close.

OK gang, my son got one of these for Christmas and it's really fun to play with, so order yourselves and/or kids one, regardless of their age.

https://a.co/d/9jiKk6t

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some more weird drops today. Seems like algos.
aggiebrad94
AG
joekm3 said:

Don't forget you can use STOP orders for Buys as well. If you place a Trailing Stop at 5% below and you sell out, place a trailing buy at 2-3% above and get the upside swing.
joekm3
AG
Thank you!
EngrAg14
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Some more weird drops today. Seems like algos.

I think we retrace to 450 in janurary and depending on earnings maybe a small bump up.
But we stay steady this week and the drop happens mid to end next week.

Not entering puts till tomorrow out to 2/09
joekm3
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Philip J Fry said:

Bought WULF & SDIG today. Miner metrics don't matter nearly as much as bitcoin go up.

WULF filling the 12/27 gap?
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah. Looks like it. Exited and waiting near the bottom of the gap to re-enter.
bmoochie
AG
Heineken - Let me know what you think of SNAP for a short term trade. Similar bull flag like LUV and its currently in a gap from May 2022. Goes up to $21.71 so almost a $5 move to be made.
Heineken-Ashi
bmoochie said:

Heineken - Let me know what you think of SNAP for a short term trade. Similar bull flag like LUV and its currently in a gap from May 2022. Goes up to $21.71 so almost a $5 move to be made.
You've got a cup following a gap fill. The flag is way too small to be reliable. I'd expect a handle to form and then an attack of the next gap at $22. The risk / reward might be good here with a tight stop, but I'd let it play out a little longer. An entry under $14 might pay off handsomly if we are lucky enough to get it.
joekm3
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Yeah. Looks like it. Exited and waiting near the bottom of the gap to re-enter.

Are you looking to swing trade or planning more long term?
Philip J Fry
AG
More long term, but didn't see why I should bag hold in the time being
Heineken-Ashi
The hardest part about trying to form a list of stocks that will do well in 2024 is that almost nothing is at a place where I'm comfortable entering with limited risk.
First Page Last Page
Page 6263 of 6509

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.