Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,171,089 Views | 232066 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FishrCoAg said:

ProgN said:

spud1910 said:

OK Prog, SMCI hanging around $280 this morning. Was this a stock you are planting or looking at trimming?
I'm planting it but others trade it and it's made a nice move. It's held up nicely this month which hasn't been a good one. If October is rough, then you can buy it back on a dip. If October is good, then I expect it to fill that huge gap above it. So there's really not a bad choice, but you have to decide for yourself.

ETA:

Super Micro CEO Charles Liang: Our growth can be very strong in the next few years (cnbc.com)

ETA2:

If you have 100 shrs, writing CC's is highly profitable. Look at the premiums available week to week, they are phat.

So is writing naked puts at prices you wouldn't mind owning it at
Absolutely, with those premiums. You could probably ring the register for a few weeks and just bank the premiums.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Keep an eye on that Baker Hughes Report this Friday. The number to look at is Oil Rigs in U.S., not gas rigs or misc rigs. 507 was last Friday's number for operating rigs and it was down 8 from the previous week. I bet we lose 3 rigs this week.
Baker Hughes

Week 9/29 = U.S. Oil Rigs = 502, Down 5,.....from Week 9/22/23 at 507
EnronAg
AG
ProgN said:

FishrCoAg said:

ProgN said:

spud1910 said:

OK Prog, SMCI hanging around $280 this morning. Was this a stock you are planting or looking at trimming?
I'm planting it but others trade it and it's made a nice move. It's held up nicely this month which hasn't been a good one. If October is rough, then you can buy it back on a dip. If October is good, then I expect it to fill that huge gap above it. So there's really not a bad choice, but you have to decide for yourself.

ETA:

Super Micro CEO Charles Liang: Our growth can be very strong in the next few years (cnbc.com)

ETA2:

If you have 100 shrs, writing CC's is highly profitable. Look at the premiums available week to week, they are phat.

Absolutely, with those premiums. You could probably ring the register for a few weeks and just bank the premiums.
it's naked if you don't have enough cash in your account to "cover" the purchase of shares...you would need margin...and I would highly advise against this strategy...

it's covered if you have the cash to purchase said shares...and this would be okay...similar to covered calls when you own the shares...

you can rip your account to shreds in the first scenario...PLEASE DON'T DO THIS (in my humble opinion)!!!
ProgN
EnronAg said:

ProgN said:

FishrCoAg said:

ProgN said:

spud1910 said:

ETA:

ETA2:

it's naked if you don't have enough cash in your account to "cover" the purchase of shares...you would need margin...and I would highly advise against this strategy...

it's covered if you have the cash to purchase said shares...and this would be okay...similar to covered calls when you own the shares...

you can rip your account to shreds in the first scenario...PLEASE DON'T DO THIS (in my humble opinion)!!!
Agreed and you can go back years on this thread and I've never recommended anyone using margin at all because it's deadly and should only be used by very experienced traders. Iirc, I've said similar versions of "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS" numerous times over the years. That is also why I don't make option recs. Everyone that's been here a long time know my recs never involve margin or options, except for naked puts (if you have the cash), or CCs.

Tl;dr: We are on the same page and looking out for everyone in the clubhouse, regardless of their trading experience.
EnronAg
AG
Agree with you 100% Prog...and wasn't trying to call anyone out...was just adding some context and my personal opinion...going forward, I would maybe say "cash covered" or "cash secured" puts...meaning, you have the cash in your account to cover the shares...to my knowledge, the "naked" distinction is designated for margin accounts...but I could be wrong...
ProgN
FishrCoAg
AG
EnronAg said:

Agree with you 100% Prog...and wasn't trying to call anyone out...was just adding some context and my personal opinion...going forward, I would maybe say "cash covered" or "cash secured" puts...meaning, you have the cash in your account to cover the shares...to my knowledge, the "naked" distinction is designated for margin accounts...but I could be wrong...

By naked I mean selling the put while not having shorted the stock. Definitely not smart to sell puts if you don't have the money to buy shares. You did notice I said selling puts at a level at which you want to buy the stock, right?
EnronAg
AG
Yes, and again I was definitely not trying to call you out...just wanted to add context from all my experiences with the "naked" designation...to my knowledge, naked is only used in a margin account...and didn't want others to sell naked options in a margin account...that is all...in your scenario, they would be designated with some form of "cash covered" put or something similar...wheel sites call them "cash secured" puts or CSP's...just wanted to put a bit of an alarm on the "naked" designation really kinda going hand in hand with margin accounts...to my knowledge, at least...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Power hour incoming?
Nice Ash
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Power hour incoming?

Power dumping…the QQQ lost ~5pts as the day progressed.
ProgN
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Power hour incoming?

I expect a weak close because it's the end of the month and Q3 and just a follow through of the negative month/qtr it's been.
ProgN
FishrCoAg said:

EnronAg said:

By naked I mean selling the put while not having shorted the stock. Definitely not smart to sell puts if you don't have the money to buy shares. You did notice I said selling puts at a level at which you want to buy the stock, right?

All this "naked" talk and the depressing market made me think of things that are much more pleasant.
She is wearing some interesting earrings.
ProgN

I think her bracelet completes the look my self.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thank 6 pound baby Jesus September is over.
Nice Ash
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hope you're not expecting much better in October…
ProgN said:

I think her bracelet completes the look my self.
Yep, and matches the necklace too.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

That lady had earrings?
bmoochie
AG
She had a bracelet?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice Ash said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hope you're not expecting much better in October…

I certainly am.
cryption
FishrCoAg
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

That lady had ears?

FIFY
spud1910
AG
Y'all aren't even sure about the jewelry, yet you are assuming gender!?!
spud1910 said:

Okay. That does it. I'm going to take one for the team and investigate this gender question that has been brought up. I am volunteering, because it's my civic duty. Now...where is she...errr....aah.....it. Yeah,...where is "it"?
SW AG80
AG
I will make a final decision. She is 100% female.
And a very feminine female at that.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
SW AG80 said:

I will make a final decision. She is 100% female.
And a very feminine female at that.
ProgN
spud1910 said:

Good point doc, so I volunteer to go in for a much closer look, just to be sure.

dreyOO
We still feeling good about SAVA? I've been nibbling on that one from time to time.
techno-ag
AG
Near 52wl.
ProgN
dreyOO said:

We still feeling good about SAVA? I've been nibbling on that one from time to time.
I'm still holding but I haven't added more in over a year. This is a hero or zero and I'll have a homerun or a nice cushion of losses to offset my other profitable trades. I have no feeling or emotions in it either way. I witnessed the devastating affects Alzheimer's has on the living when my great-grandmother died from it. I pray they can deliver what has been expected more than I care about my potential profit honestly. Nanny's mind was gone 3 years before her body ran out of fuel and I don't wish that on anyone. Matter of fact, if my son is an adult and I'm diagnosed with it and there is no treatment, then I will just say my goodbyes and checkout. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease that affects the living, not the victim. I would never have them live through what I did. Idgaf if people that judge me for saying this if they haven't walked that road, because those that have will agree.
FTAG 2000
AG
SAVA had some big insider buys last month. Took that as a positive sign.

I'm with ProgN on sentiment.
SW AG80
AG
And I do agree with that sentiment. My dad spent his last 5 years in an Alzheimer's facility. His last few months I will never speak of.

I have told my kids that if I'm diagnosed I will wonder off like an old dog, never to be seen again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I have it in my family history too, I've been seeing more and more correlation between it and diet in recent studies.

Not that I don't want a cure, but just for all those in similar situations as me, be wary of grains and other foods that cause inflammation .
southernskies
Remember when we were all over SDC? Crazy where it's gone to since. Hope nobody is still holding that one
Spoony Love
AG
Crazy intraday moves on SPY this morning. Lots of chatter to digest. October is typically volatile so be careful and quick.
First Page Last Page
Page 6225 of 6631

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.