Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,980,208 Views | 231555 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Slappy007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldarmy1 said:

oldarmy1 said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Thanks for the reply, makes sense
Let me tweet another approach I use in bear markets and paste it here.

I love doing this at these big volume days because either it will rebound well or fail. I don't want to be a bag holder long on failing stocks, so use a 50% covered call approach and use the premium from the covered calls to buy your put side protection on all 100% of a stock in a downtrend. If it keeps going down the premium on the calls will be earned into your account. The $42 puts mean you can't lose more than the small difference between premium call earned and cost of in the money puts.

If brave you can buy the shares here and wait to see if a rebound into last hour but the strategy DEMANDS you do not go into tomorrow without cover.

OA, I assume you have to cut at some point if the stock keeps trending down, correct? How do you deal with the theta decay between the March puts and April covered calls as you get close to the March put expiration?
Dan Scott
AG
On WWR, the only thing making me skeptical is how hard it was to get financing for them. They are going to accept debt terms now when they are desperate and when capital is tight. They announced their initial feasibility study and received board approval to begin construction in late 2021. You'd think there would be some interest. WWR's market cap has traded below cash value for about a year.

I need to educate myself on Inflation Reduction Act. I heard few people hyping it during CERA week and WWR citing it in their press release.
Dan Scott
AG
What triggered the sell off today. The Silicon Valley Bank news came out last night and futures opened green.
ryanhnc10
AG
Dan Scott said:

What triggered the sell off today. The Silicon Valley Bank news came out last night and futures opened green.

It says there are reports that funds are advising their clients to pull their money from SVB
oldarmy1
AG
Slappy007 said:

oldarmy1 said:

oldarmy1 said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Thanks for the reply, makes sense
Let me tweet another approach I use in bear markets and paste it here.

I love doing this at these big volume days because either it will rebound well or fail. I don't want to be a bag holder long on failing stocks, so use a 50% covered call approach and use the premium from the covered calls to buy your put side protection on all 100% of a stock in a downtrend. If it keeps going down the premium on the calls will be earned into your account. The $42 puts mean you can't lose more than the small difference between premium call earned and cost of in the money puts.

If brave you can buy the shares here and wait to see if a rebound into last hour but the strategy DEMANDS you do not go into tomorrow without cover.

OA, I assume you have to cut at some point if the stock keeps trending down, correct? How do you deal with the theta decay between the March puts and April covered calls as you get close to the March put expiration?

You are basically using a heavy downtrend period that's already occurring to either accelerate or find support, which is why you collar with a shorter term put protection. I'm this instance of JD drops to say $37 on trend the next week I'll cash in the puts and reposition to a net neutral strike to the then current price. So $5 from entry on stocks under $50 I do that and the sooner that happens the better for premium gain.
lobwedgephil
oldarmy1 said:

I know I keep harping on the H&S pattern but Bear markets ALWAYS end with a crescendo. We might hold this H&S like last time and rally back upward. But don't be thinking long-term entries right now, absent a good strategy. It WILL eventually see new lows if it follows every bear market since the 70's. That's why these patterns are great to keep in your view.

And frankly we want that because otherwise we will become locked into a long-term sideways pattern that is much more difficult for retirement investors.

Pretty good inverse pattern playing out longer timeframe. The H&S can play out on daily and only helps the symmetry on the weekly inverse pattern.

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
ryanhnc10 said:

Dan Scott said:

It says there are reports that funds are advising their clients to pull their money from SVB
Keep an eye on GTII. I don't know the finer details other than the CEO has attorney's (Wes Christian) going after naked Short sellers. Rumblings that this action could sink a few HF's. If someone knows the details please post.

Wes Christian is the attorney that is being requested by SAVA shareholders to SAVA leadership to go after SAVA naked Short sellers.

Also, the Citadel allegedly owns 5.5% of Silvergate (SI)

FWIW
oldarmy1
AG
Futures down 26. That confirms the H&S. I knew they would use the overnight to do it.
bmks270
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Dan Scott said:

There was a run on SVB (Silicon Valley bank) today. It will probably continue tomorrow as the wire transfers will be initiated tomorrow. This bank holds most of the funds for venture capital funded start ups.

I wouldn't think this would impact the wider economy though. Just the companies banking with SVB and their investors. Unless people believe it's a sign other banks are in trouble too.
Spoony Love
AG
Sounds like a recession is coming.
Dan Scott
AG
Buck Compton
AG
Dan Scott said:

Sounds like material, nonpublic information to me…..
ProgN
bmks270 said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Dan Scott said:

There was a run on SVB (Silicon Valley bank) today. It will probably continue tomorrow as the wire transfers will be initiated tomorrow. This bank holds most of the funds for venture capital funded start ups.

I wouldn't think this would impact the wider economy though. Just the companies banking with SVB and their investors. Unless people believe it's a sign other banks are in trouble too.

I've never heard of SIVB before today and just felt the pain that investor in it must be feeling, that sucks. The 52 week high is $597 and it was $275 on f'ing Tuesday, it's now at $83.

This is a great reminder to never marry a stock. I'm not looking because I'm not in it, but I bet when it was at it's high, the headlines were stellar and going to the moon. Think ROKU at $400+, NFLX $700+, even TTD at $115 (although it's still planted in accounts). Stocks are a vehicle to increase your wealth, not your soulmate.
ProgN
Dan Scott said:

Yeah, that was definitely traded with inside information. I'd be surprised if they're allowed to keep that homerun because it should've popped up at the SEC.
FTAG 2000
AG
ProgN said:

Dan Scott said:

Yeah, that was definitely traded with inside information. I'd be surprised if they're allowed to keep that homerun because it should've popped up at the SEC.
m

That's PMITA territory.
Slappy007
AG
Thanks, very helpful.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Overnight session is almost bidless
Boy Named Sue
AG
Are we all makin bank and gettin ass tomorrow with SPY and META puts, and SQQQ calls? I think so
lobwedgephil
Boy Named Sue said:

Are we all makin bank and gettin ass tomorrow with SPY and META puts, and SQQQ calls? I think so
The night is long, and you have a data point that could have this thing very green by open. But like 30k said, zero attempts by bulls so far.
Dan Scott
AG
2 year treasury down 30bps on 2 days.
oldarmy1
AG
JD earnings

Heineken-Ashi
Heineken-Ashi said:

TheCellarDoor said:

OA's APA is coiling tighter and tighter every day. I suck at charting, but if someone has it handy, it looks like something is about to give. Still a month left on the Dec' $55's.
Down to low $30's looks likely.
Took a while, but finally gaining steam. Watch out below.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
bmks270
AG
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/arch-rivals-iran-and-saudi-arabia-agree-to-revive-ties-reopen-embassies.html
Quote:

Regional foes Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to resume diplomatic relations and reopen embassies in each other's countries, both governments announced via their state media agencies.

"As a result of the talks, Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to resume diplomatic relations and re-open embassies ...within two months," Iran's news agency IRNA reported Friday.

Saudi Arabia's state Saudi Press Agency confirmed the announcement in its own statement.
FJ43
Watching for 386 and change on SPY.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Job Growtyh was 311K. Here we go
Fightin2010
AG
What were expectations?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
300K jobs added. Estimate was 225, previous 500. I guess it's a "hot" print but bad news is good news. Let's see what happens after the first move.
Bonfire1996
AG
Unemployment was up
Wage growth not as much as expected
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I used to have a strategy of buying stock of good companies in crisis. I did it successfully with Citibank in 2009, I did it with Volkswagen after the emissions scandal, and I did it with BP for deep water horizon.

I did it unsuccessfully with Tokyo electric power co. It took me 5 years to get my money back.

SIVB feels like one of these opportunities but you have to size for zero.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I used to have a strategy of buying stock of good companies in crisis. I did it successfully with Citibank in 2009, I did it with Volkswagen after the emissions scandal, and I did it with BP for deep water horizon.

I did it unsuccessfully with Tokyo electric power co. It took me 5 years to get my money back.

SIVB feels like one of these opportunities but you have to size for zero.
SVB is just one symptom of a bigger issue me thinks.

Those successful opps you mentioned were not in the teeth of several different types of financial issues with the current economy. Yes Citi - but by that point - all the Lehman's were cut loose and JPM's Dimon was bringing his checkbook to buy those banks with issues.

Blackstone is defaulting on a European CMBS Bond. Brookfield defaulted on $750M in loans for some CRE in NYC. There is more and more traction of defaults out there.

What I am focused on is the underlying collateral - what do all these have in common? Bonds. The CMBS default = bond. The $750MM in Brookfield was a security instrument. The SVB took a $2.5B credit charge on some bond losses.

These are canaries in the coal mine IMO.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The fed will not allow them to fail.
wanderer
So when you buying?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

The fed will not allow them to fail.
Agreed - which is why I would not be surprised to see an announcement on Monday that SVB was being acquired by XYZ Megacorp Bank and offloading their book onto a stronger balance sheet.

The MGMT of that bank royally effed up this entire situation by practically creating the run on their bank with the release of this news...
FTAG 2000
AG
Probably a dumb question. I know they say to fade the first move off the numbers, but is that the premarket move, or the RTH move?

First Page Last Page
Page 6014 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.