Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,027,331 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ProgN
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I love this board. So many wise people from all walks. It's good that you have accepted this Bear as one of your own. Our website has nothing like this. Rare air here, really!

I've been beyond impressed at your dedication to understanding the markets and trading. Keep posting brother.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

techno-ag
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I love this board. So many wise people from all walks. It's good that you have accepted this Bear as one of your own. Our website has nothing like this. Rare air here, really!
All are welcome. We have some Tech guys who hang out in Politics and they're pretty cool too.
BaylorSpineGuy
Futures gapped up on the open to 3900 and then have fallen like a rock to low 3840 area. Interesting start to '23….
BaylorSpineGuy
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures trapping already.

Re: housing, don't forget that because of Covid, supply is constrained which will keep prices supported.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
FJ43
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

ProgN

What's your opinion doc? This is the player on MNF a few minutes ago.
BaylorSpineGuy
ProgN said:

I didn't see it. Lemme see if I can find a video and I'll give a thought….
BaylorSpineGuy
ProgN said:

My first thoughts are this: if it happened after or is the result of a contact hit or play, I think severe TBI or upper cervical cord injury (like the Tulane player a few years ago).

If it's non-contact and he had cardiac arrest, I think about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or some other cardiac conduction problem or something - I am no heart expert in the least but those are kinda classic medical conditions seen in the setting of athletes undergoing sudden collapse.
n_touch
ProgN said:

My first guess would have been an aortic issue with the way the hit looked but with him having a pulse thats doubtful as he would have lost volume fast.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I cannot believe what I'm watching. The nicest way I can express this is to say that this is one of the most, if not the most, egregious examples of a leadership and morality failure I have ever seen. Roger Goodell is sub human.
FJ43
I can't figure out why they still have ESPN talking heads still on. Go to alternate programming for crying out loud.

ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

ProgN said:

I didn't see it. Lemme see if I can find a video and I'll give a thought….
The tweets showing the play have all been deleted. It wasn't an illegal or vicious hit. He stood up and then fell backwards. CPR started immediately. The current news is that he's intubated and in critical condition at the hospital.
ProgN
sts7049
AG
cmon man. let's not keep spreading that video around.
Eliminatus
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I cannot believe what I'm watching. The nicest way I can express this is to say that this is one of the most, if not the most, egregious examples of a leadership and morality failure I have ever seen. Roger Goodell is sub human.

To be fair, I have never seen Goodell accused of good leadership
ProgN
I asked the doc for his medical opinion and he said he hasn't seen the video. I found one that is currently still available so he could view. I replied to doc, I wasn't just posting the video for kicks.
sts7049
AG
ProgN said:

I asked the doc for his medical opinion and he said he hasn't seen the video. I found one that is currently still available so he could view. I replied to doc, I wasn't just posting the video for kicks.

how about until we know the status of the young man, we just have some patience about sharing a video in which he might have lost his life
ProgN
That's why I was directing it to the person with the best medical knowledge that posts here. The event can't be erased and I wanted his opinion. It wasn't posted in distaste. I prayed for the young man and his family immediately, did you do the same?
TheVarian
AG
Easy gentlemen, we are all wanting to get the story here. And while that tweet wasn't worded great it showed what was in question. So let's say some prayers for this young man and remain confident he will be okay.
spud1910
AG
TheVarian said:

Easy gentlemen, we are all wanting to get the story here. And while that tweet wasn't worded great it showed what was in question. So let's say some prayers for this young man and remain confident he will be okay.
Praying for this young man and those that shared the field with him tonight.
DavysApprentice
AG
Eliminatus said:

To be fair, I have never seen Goodell accused of good leadership

The game was cancelled. Not sure what was supposed to happen.

The Tua injury was horrific as well, happened on the same field and the game resumed in 20 minutes.

Praying for this man. Hoping he is OK.
Buck Compton
AG

That's a bit much.

He had to coordinate between both teams owners and coaches as well as the players union, get the info, make a decision, clear it with everyone, and within 30-45 minutes the game was officially postponed publicly. When the game was cancelled, players were already showering, so it was likely cancelled before it was publicly know. The gut reaction before knowing potential seriousness of the injury, the reaction is to keep playing.

As much as the talking heads kept saying unprecedented, it isn't. Life-threatening injuries happen in major sports. And actually, in most cases the game was continued. 1989 Malarchuk neck sliced open, 2007 Kevin Everett induced coma on the field and hypothermia treatment due to neck injury, 2008 Zednik Carotid slice. In 2014 when Rich Peverley went into A-Fib on the Stars bench, they did postpone. I'm sure there are mor examples.

Postponing was the correct call, but we don't need extra hyperbole on it. Of course the cretins are attacking Gooddell and the NFL, but since when has anyone praised him?
irish pete ag06
AG
Buck Compton said:

That's a bit much.

He had to coordinate between both teams owners and coaches as well as the players union, get the info, make a decision, clear it with everyone, and within 30-45 minutes the game was officially postponed publicly. When the game was cancelled, players were already showering, so it was likely cancelled before it was publicly know. The gut reaction before knowing potential seriousness of the injury, the reaction is to keep playing.

As much as the talking heads kept saying unprecedented, it isn't. Life-threatening injuries happen in major sports. And actually, in most cases the game was continued. 1989 Malarchuk neck sliced open, 2007 Kevin Everett induced coma on the field and hypothermia treatment due to neck injury, 2008 Zednik Carotid slice. In 2014 when Rich Peverley went into A-Fib on the Stars bench, they did postpone. I'm sure there are mor examples.

Postponing was the correct call, but we don't need extra hyperbole on it. Of course the cretins are attacking Gooddell and the NFL, but since when has anyone praised him?

The Bills and Bengals essentially forced their hand. They were told to start warming up and both coaches met and agreed to take their teams to the locker room.

Sure then the NFL cancelled once that happened. The message to get warmed up is what's insane. NFL leadership was trying to just be business as usual when this was clearly not that.
docaggie
AG
I've replied on other threads, and realize some here are not on the premium board, so I'll link this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526014/

Commotio cordis is the most likely scenario here. He tackled, fell, got up, wobbled, and then went down.

The best thing for him is prompt CPR, which he received. They also used an AED on him, implying that he had a shockable rhythm, pointing again to a cardiac rhythm problem such as described above.

Given that he had a return to spontaneous circulation and is stable though critical at the hospital, the biggest question is his neurological status. Typically this will take a couple of days to determine, as they will rest his brain with sedation to give it time before attempting to wake him.

The next question after that is whether he has some sort of condition that primed him for an arrhythmia, such as long QT syndrome, which can be present in otherwise completely healthy individuals.

Extremely rare and will be the subject of papers and in textbooks in the future.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ProgN
Thank you doc
Buck Compton
AG
Who had what information when? And when did they make those decisions? And yes, in absence of other news, no answer can be better than status quo. The medical personnel aren't exactly focused on getting info to the league office. They're focused on their patient. Just as much as people say we shouldn't say anything about Hamlin, then same goes with the league's decision. I'm not a medical expert but I am very experienced leading organizations.

Most of the talking heads and Twitter bozos have never been in a leadership position in a crisis situation. Won't stop them from flapping their lips. I've unfortunately had to deal with several serious injuries, unfortunately one fatality, and even one suicide on company property in my short time as an executive. Not in the public light for most of it, but the number of decisions that have to be made in an extremely short period of time can be overwhelming if you're not prepared. But you prioritize them, and priority number one here isn't publicly announcing the status of the game.

Now Schefter is on SVP talking about how the game doesn't matter and the league shouldn't even be thinking of that. And that you shouldn't do anything or even discuss anything until they know how he's doing.

Well if you wait until that news, then might as well cancel the season because you don't know when you get that news. So you make every resource available to help him and his family. That is priority number one, including priority before deciding on a status of the game. But you work with the teams at a high level (mostly owners and nflpa) to work out contingency plans and start laying out those options with a small team and brainstorming what can be done to account for this game. Be ready to put any of them into action depending on how things go.

A great leader already has those plans laid out before hand and on a shelf ready to be reviewed, updated to fit the specifics of a situation, and put into play. Every company should have those plans ready. Extreme weather/wildfire, serious incident involving fatality at a company facility or vehicle, non-fatality injury, cybersecurity breach, operational system failure (cough, Southwest, cough) etc… You think about these things when you are calm and not in the stress of the situation and dust them off and update every few years. Then when the stress hits you just put the plan into action. Thankfully, we do this every year.

NFL should have had that as well, even if I doubt Goodell did. I'm not saying the league office is blameless, but there's a lot we don't know. It's not even likely that the NFL passed down a decision that said you have 5 minutes to warm up without nflpa approval. In fact, it's more likely that the modus operandi in an injury is to keep playing so the team on the ground carried out that plan. Less likely that Gooddell got any direct information about his medical status.

Just a pet peeve with idiots already filling the world with their stupidity tonight. I finally turned it off in the hotel room.
Buck Compton
AG
Good background. Helpful to understand medically.
Gabster43213
What impact of the lack of election of a Speaker of the House have on the market tomorrow?
irish pete ag06
AG
I get it. And I'm all for maintaining composure in hectic and chaotic times. But all of us sitting on our couch knew this was far from status quo, so they should have clearly known that better than us.

Even if it had just been left in limbo for a while, that would have been more acceptable than "get em loose"
techno-ag
AG
NG way down tonight.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
techno-ag said:

NG way down tonight.

Probably capitulation.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Gabster43213 said:

What impact of the lack of election of a Speaker of the House have on the market tomorrow?

Zero
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
techno-ag said:

NG way down tonight.

Buy more BOIL.
jimmo
/NG
anyone remember the Wolfe Wave pattern?
First Page Last Page
Page 5910 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.