Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,980,184 Views | 231555 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
BenRev09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anybody watching IMMR? may double top here and consolidate, but has had some interesting price action since earnings
Triple_Bagger
boyz05 said:

FWIW, a good friend of mine that is in the EV industry was at one of their big conferences recently in LA. He said one of the big topics specifically was the supply of available graphite outside of China. The industry is taking notice how much of a snowball effect this will have, especially with the exponential growth the EV market is experiencing.

The timing to mine and manufacture the stuff can take years so if WWR is ahead of the game then that should be good for most of us. As long as WWR stays the course of their plans with no delays, we will start to see the fruits of our patience, I hoping after this inflationary period this will pivot on the up for years to come.

Our government is on the same page with domestic graphite production. Just hope they select WWR when they start handing out money.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R47227

Triple_Bagger
Triple_Bagger said:

boyz05 said:

FWIW, a good friend of mine that is in the EV industry was at one of their big conferences recently in LA. He said one of the big topics specifically was the supply of available graphite outside of China. The industry is taking notice how much of a snowball effect this will have, especially with the exponential growth the EV market is experiencing.

The timing to mine and manufacture the stuff can take years so if WWR is ahead of the game then that should be good for most of us. As long as WWR stays the course of their plans with no delays, we will start to see the fruits of our patience, I hoping after this inflationary period this will pivot on the up for years to come.

Our government is on the same page with domestic graphite production. Just hope they select WWR when they start handing out money.

According to USGS, the United States did not mine any natural graphite in 2021, and no mineral reserves are indicated.94 One company, Graphite One, reports plans to develop an integrated natural graphite mine and extraction facility on 28,160 acres of state lands in Alaska.95 Another company, West water Resources, reports plans to develop an integrated natural graphite mine and extraction facility on 41,965 acres of private land in Alabama.96

Imports of natural graphite during 2021 are estimated to be 53,000 metric tons, and natural graphite exports in 2021 are estimated to be 8,400 metric tons. NIR on natural graphite was calculated to be 100%. During the period 2017-2020, China was the largest supplier of U.S. natural graphite imports (33%). For 2021, China is estimated to have the highest worldwide production of natural graphite (820,000 metric tons); total global production is estimated to be 1,000,000 metric tons.99

The price of natural graphite flake, which represented 57% of imports in 2021, averaged $1,600 per ton in 2021. This was the highest price for natural graphite flake in the last five years. The lowest price in the last five years for natural graphite flake was $1,350 per ton in 2019.100

At least WWR is on our governments radar.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Hourly spy chart looks like a big ol h&s, or perhaps it's flipping the bird. Carrying a 396p into tomorrow
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Did something happen? Looks like some posts disappeared
sts7049
AG
harge57
AG
techno-ag said:

Bonfire1996 said:

New car sales unexpectedly very strong for October. Key FED gauge. FED wants to see that flat to negative to indicate waning demand. Consumers blew right through the higher rates and kept buying everything being produced.
People need to drive and there's been a shortage of new vehicles. Can't say I'm surprised.

New car sales could be a lagging indicator now with drastic changes to the purchasing model. How many vehicles were "purchased" in October that were actually ordered 6 months ago.
Diggity
AG
guess that would depend on when they book the purchase
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Well that doesn't seem great. Now they just need to withhold guidance and TIMBERRRR...
FTAG 2000
AG
sts7049 said:

YoY looks pretty bad. QoQ too.

What keyword during the earnings call is gonna shove this thing off the cliff?
Lake08
Up afterhours…

Oh well
Heineken-Ashi
TheCellarDoor said:

OA's APA is coiling tighter and tighter every day. I suck at charting, but if someone has it handy, it looks like something is about to give. Still a month left on the Dec' $55's.
Down to low $30's looks likely.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
techno-ag
AG
Diggity said:

guess that would depend on when they book the purchase
Yeah that's accounting. I imagine it has to be after they take delivery, not when the deposit was made. But it's a great point. People are still waiting on cars they ordered a long time ago.
ProgN
The number of people using credit cards to buy groceries is at an ATH. They're just trying to weather the storm but it's creating a debt bomb that will explode.
irish pete ag06
AG
I always thought after housing in 2008 that the next credit bubble would be auto and cc.
Philip J Fry
AG
wanderer said:

wanderer said:

Such a dirty stoploss candle for BOIL at 9:53 before immediately spiking

BOIL. Wow

What is it about gas that makes it so volatile? It has such a big intraday trading range.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
It is harder to store than almost all other commodities, so supply is a sensitive knob causing spot prices to fluctuate more. Demand can fluctuate more with weather than many other commodities. I think those two plus the massive amount of leveraged trading of NG would big big reasons why you see large swings of futures.
Triple_Bagger
ProgN said:

The number of people using credit cards to buy groceries is at an ATH. They're just trying to weather the storm but it's creating a debt bomb that will explode.
I don't understand the thought behind this strategy. Are people expecting a big increase in pay next year? Are they expecting the government to give out more free money?

US credit card debt is just under $1T. That's a decent little time bomb.
Triple_Bagger
Buck Compton
AG
Triple_Bagger said:

ProgN said:

I don't understand the thought behind this strategy. Are people expecting a big increase in pay next year? Are they expecting the government to give out more free money?

They don't have another "strategy". You have to feed your family, and don't have a lot of extra cash to do it. They just haven't stopped the other discretionary spending just yet.

They always sit on a knife's edge and the government's asinine reaction to COVID pushed them all the way to the tip of the blade. These are the people that spent that stimulus money at Best Buy on a new TV.
Heineken-Ashi
Triple_Bagger said:

ProgN said:

Back to "most parabolic robust bull market of all time"..

Multiple entire generations have never worked in an economy that wasn't booming. And specifically.. in an economy that wasn't in a parabolic boom coupled with tanking rates and exploding cash supply.

All that to say.. go to an average chicken wing joint where a dozen wings is now a $20 meal and be in awe at the amount of seemingly lower middle class people waiting 30 mins to spend $50 on a single week night out.

Then remember the old saying about the average person and everyone dumber than them.

The average person quite literally has no idea how to cook, budget, plan, or conserve. Their entire life has been free easy money and spend it when you got it.

You think a little inflation is going to drop them from living the exact same way they've always lived? Nah. Charge it!

Edit: Buck Compton more eloquently made the same point. Blue star him.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
BaylorSpineGuy

No capitulation in the crypto universe yet. The guy who SBF went in dry on and was actually named in a suit is still on board with more crypto….even knowing what he knows now.

This is incredible. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.
jamey
AG
Triple_Bagger said:

ProgN said:

I think its a sudden problem for many. They net X each month and for most people they just make it for bills, rent or mortgage..etc with no extra.

Suddenly it costs X + 10% inflation to live.

I know I've had to decrease our savings and add to our checking account(bills) by about $600per month this past year

And that's along with a number of cost cutting measures

Maybe in several more months people are breaking their lease, defaulting on mortgages, not paying their credit card...etc
BlueTaze
Also ironic that the bitcoin community is now demanding gov regulation as if it's their last lifeline.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I went through 200 charts tonight. Everything looks bad except Nat gas.
lobwedgephil
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I went through 200 charts tonight. Everything looks bad except Nat gas.
Switch it to a 4 hour and it will look bad as well, potentially.
Dan Scott
AG
Triple_Bagger said:

Triple_Bagger said:

boyz05 said:

According to USGS, the United States did not mine any natural graphite in 2021, and no mineral reserves are indicated.94 One company, Graphite One, reports plans to develop an integrated natural graphite mine and extraction facility on 28,160 acres of state lands in Alaska.95 Another company, West water Resources, reports plans to develop an integrated natural graphite mine and extraction facility on 41,965 acres of private land in Alabama.96

Imports of natural graphite during 2021 are estimated to be 53,000 metric tons, and natural graphite exports in 2021 are estimated to be 8,400 metric tons. NIR on natural graphite was calculated to be 100%. During the period 2017-2020, China was the largest supplier of U.S. natural graphite imports (33%). For 2021, China is estimated to have the highest worldwide production of natural graphite (820,000 metric tons); total global production is estimated to be 1,000,000 metric tons.99

The price of natural graphite flake, which represented 57% of imports in 2021, averaged $1,600 per ton in 2021. This was the highest price for natural graphite flake in the last five years. The lowest price in the last five years for natural graphite flake was $1,350 per ton in 2019.100

At least WWR is on our governments radar.

I don't know what the requirements are to receive funding but at least 3 companies have received grants to build their graphite plants. An effing Australian company building a plant in Louisiana received $220M. Mothereffing foreign companies receive government money but not a U.S. company.

Listening to the call, I wasn't super thrilled. They are short $50M and said due to volatility in capital markets, they won't meet their targets to receive financing by end of year but rather 1Q23. I was hoping for a more clear picture on financing.
Dan Scott
AG
It was nice to have somebody from Morgan Stanley on the call instead of the small shops usually on the call but I don't think they impressed the MS analyst.
techno-ag
AG
jamey said:

Triple_Bagger said:

ProgN said:

I think its a sudden problem for many. They net X each month and for most people they just make it for bills, rent or mortgage..etc with no extra.

Suddenly it costs X + 10% inflation to live.

I know I've had to decrease our savings and add to our checking account(bills) by about $600per month this past year

And that's along with a number of cost cutting measures

Maybe in several more months people are breaking their lease, defaulting on mortgages, not paying their credit card...etc

BaylorSpineGuy
Futures took a nosedive and testing the 3950 range again. Near vertical drop from 4000. H pattern in formation now.
sts7049
AG
looks like 3900 is up next
FJ43
sts7049 said:

looks like 3900 is up next

I approve this message
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

ProgN
Live: British government announces new budget after political chaos and market turmoil

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/jeremy-hunt-uk-to-announce-budget-after-political-chaos-and-market-turmoil.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

Quote:

Energy firms to face expanded windfall taxes

Hunt confirmed that from Jan. 1 until March 2028, the energy profits levy will increase from 25% to 35%, while a new temporary 45% tax will be levied on electricity generators, raising 14 billion for the Treasury next year.
I'm sure this approach will workout splendidly.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Almost ensuring that they will be importing electricity somehow? In a time when you are facing potentially the biggest energy crisis since the 70's they are massively raising taxes on their own domestic energy producers?
ProgN
Yep, this is going to hurt bigly this winter, especially if reports I've been reading about the upcoming winter are remotely accurate.
First Page Last Page
Page 5836 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.