Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,010,671 Views | 231614 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by El_duderino
topher06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loaded calls SPY, looking for inverse H&S here but I'm probably wrong. EDIT: Nope. Probably done for the day.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Market is chopping
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
irish pete ag06
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

irish pete ag06 said:

ProgN's favorite formation

Looks like one should be sagging more than the other :-)
Just asymmetrical nipples
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
topher06 said:

Loaded calls SPY, looking for inverse H&S here but I'm probably wrong.

I guess, maybe, but you enter the calls on the confirmation of the setup, not the construction of one.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I hate seeing you guys lose money.

Don't take trades between 12 and 2 eastern time.
irish pete ag06
AG
Milk... that's relevant to the chart formation I drew.
topher06
Yeah, I got out of that quick and edited post.
bmoochie
AG
Low volume lunch time or algo controls?
SpeedyAg90
AG
https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2022-10/DOE%20BIL%20Battery%20FOA-2678%20Selectee%20Fact%20Sheets%20-%201_2.pdf

Not sure if this is all the companies but WWR not on this list
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
bmoochie said:

Low volume lunch time or algo controls?

Yes. Just lower probability
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You guys need to be paying attention to bonds. TLT is collapsing.
Boban
wanderer
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Philip J Fry
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

I sold almost all of the FGEN. I bought some call spreads with part of the profits in case it does pop, but wanted to derisk

I would put a tight trailing stop on it, but morning action have been volatile. Still hoping to squeeze 22 out of it.

Excellent call. Exited this morning at 17 when I saw it trying to fill the gap down.
Heineken-Ashi
wanderer said:

TLT = Long term 20+ year bonds. Bond prices down = rates up. Rates for long term bonds going up is AWFUL news for the economy. We start moving from "well maybe things will come back down in a couple years" to "we saw the bottom and things will never again be like they were for the last 5 years, buckle up".

All talk about the FED pausing or turning doveish is purely political gaslighting. Stop believing it.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Looks like this is just the first phase of companies. I'm not sure how woke WWR is, which seems to be a deciding factor in how the DoE is allocating funds based on this press release (different DoE link than what's already been posted):

https://www.energy.gov/articles/biden-harris-administration-awards-28-billion-supercharge-us-manufacturing-batteries

"The funding announced today is the first phase of $7 billion in total provided by the President's Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to strengthen the domestic battery supply chain by supporting upstream materials processing to create the precursor materials for batteries. DOE anticipates moving quickly on additional funding opportunities to continue to fill gaps in and strengthen the domestic battery supply chain."
irish pete ag06
AG
I saw someone on twitter say this...

2008 toxic asset = subrpime mortgages
2022 toxic asset = U.S. Treasuries

Probably hyperbole but still
Chef Elko
AG
Stop scaring me, dude.
topher06
Dumping hard now.
LMCane
Heineken-Ashi said:

wanderer said:

TLT = Long term 20+ year bonds. Bond prices down = rates up. Rates for long term bonds going up is AWFUL news for the economy. We start moving from "well maybe things will come back down in a couple years" to "we saw the bottom and things will never again be like they were for the last 5 years, buckle up".

All talk about the FED pausing or turning doveish is purely political gaslighting. Stop believing it.
I know where to find the rates for bonds https://www.cnbc.com/bonds/

and I know the inverse relation between bond prices down = rate up and vice versa.

but where is the actual bond price listed?

I have also heard some "experts" claiming that it would actually be worse for the economy if the 2 year yield of 4.5 right now DECREASES.

but it would seem logical the economy is going to collapse faster if rates continue to climb.
Heineken-Ashi
LMCane said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

wanderer said:

I know where to find the rates for bonds https://www.cnbc.com/bonds/

and I know the inverse relation between bond prices down = rate up and vice versa.

but where is the actual bond price listed?

I have also heard some "experts" claiming that it would actually be worse for the economy if the 2 year yield of 4.5 right now DECREASES.

but it would seem logical the economy is going to collapse faster if rates continue to climb.
Understanding Bond Prices and Yields (investopedia.com)

Quote:

Calculating a Bond's Dollar Price
A bond's dollar price represents a percentage of the bond's principal balance, otherwise known as par value. A bond is simply a loan, after all, and the principal balance, or par value, is the loan amount.1 So, if a bond is quoted at $98.90 and you were to buy a $100,000 two-year Treasury bond, you would pay ~$98,900.

In the example above, the two-year Treasury is trading at a discount. This means it is trading at less than its par value. If it were "trading at par," its price would be 100. If it were trading at a premium, its price would be greater than 100.1 Trading at a discount means the price of the bond has declined since it was issued; it is now cheaper to buy the bond than when it was issued.

To understand discount versus premium pricing, remember that when you buy a bond, you buy them for the coupon payments. While different bonds make their coupon payments at different frequencies, the payments are typically dispersed semi-annually.1

When you buy a bond, you are entitled to the percentage of the coupon that is due from the date that the trade settles until the next coupon payment date. The previous owner of the bond is entitled to the percentage of that coupon payment from the last payment date to the trade settlement date.1

Because you will be the holder of record when the actual coupon payment is made and will receive the full coupon payment, you must pay the previous owner his or her percentage of that coupon payment at the time of trade settlement.1 In other words, the actual trade settlement amount consists of the purchase price plus accrued interest.1
The money shot

Quote:

Considering Bond Prices (Discount vs. Premium)
Why would someone pay more than a bond's par value? The answer is simple: when the coupon rate on the bond is higher than current market interest rates, the bond is more desirable. In other words, the investor will receive interest payments from a premium-priced bond that is greater than could be found in the current market environment.2

Consider an example where a bond pays a coupon of 5%. All issuances of this bond are sold at par value. Then, macroeconomic conditions in the world worsen, and the Federal Reserve begins lower the federal funds rate. By extension, many other rates begin to drop, and the prevailing rate of interest in the market now is only 2%.

Instead of settling for 2%, investors realize they can instead try to buy the 5% bond in secondary markets. However, secondary markets often price in prevailing rates. Instead of being able to buy the bonds at par value, the bond's price has become more expensive. You'll still get your 5% coupon rate; however, you'll have overpaid for the bonds and your true yield will be closer to 2%.

The same holds true for bonds priced at a discount; they are priced at a discount because the coupon rate on the bond is below current market rates.2 Because you can earn a better return simply by buying new issuances of bonds, sellers must entice buyers to buy secondary bonds by marking their securities down to a discounted price.
Understanding bonds is fundamental to understanding markets. Bonds react to the FED, yes. But that's merely because the FED directly manipulates them via forced currency injection, destruction, or playing with rates that they charge their cartel members (banks) to trade with one another. And why would one pay more or less than what banks charge each other? Hence how the FED can lead the bond market.

But at the end of the day, bonds are traded on the open market. And even with the FED manipulating supply and demand, it's still based on what buyers and sellers EXPECT. So while the FED can attempt to move it, they do not create it and they do not lead it. The FED reacts to the market which causes ripple effects within the market. But the market leads the FED. Watch the 2-year. That's what decides what the FED will do.

And right now, the FED is attempting to push the market higher to fight inflation. The 20+ year bond yields moving up is scary because that means that the FED pushing higher isn't temporary. The actual non-government buyers and sellers within the market are expecting lower bond prices and higher yields for a LONG time into the future.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Golf1
AG
With the market oversold and Netflix having the run that it did after earnings, I could see TSLA running or recovering if it does end up dropping today. There's just so much volatility right now and seems like things are more likely to go up a lot vs go down.

Still think we are in a bear market but expect the market to recover some.
GreasenUSA
AG
Golf1 said:

With the market oversold and Netflix having the run that it did after earnings, I could see TSLA running or recovering if it does end up dropping today. There's just so much volatility right now and seems like things are more likely to go up a lot vs go down.

Still think we are in a bear market but expect the market to recover some.
What leads you to believe that the market is oversold?
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Ccutamu said:

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

XOM breaking the $102.50 (some say $102.24) barrier is a clear shot to $105. Either way,...we're going. See you at $105.

Are we there yet?

Have a great day!
You selling CCs after earnings?
Lotta info hit this morn.

***Analysts updating price targets, one moved up to $114 and another to $133, both within 12 months.
***XOM Dividend - They should announce a dividend increase this quarter, I think 4 cents per quarter, 16 cents annual on top of current $0.88 annual to new annual div of $1.04. They have to be careful. This Administration has them square in the crosshairs. Any good news coming out of XOM and Brandon's goons are all over it in a negative way. I think they may announce a div increase one (1) day before earnings on 10/28. Why? There is some Govt report coming out on the 28th (I forget the importance) and this strategically spreads the good news over 2 days, lessening the chance to get vilified. Let that 28th report to carry the focus (damn, sorry I can't remember the report title name....getting old is hell) and the swirling rhetoric about he upcoming Fed Meeting Nov 1 & 2. That's my thoughts on div.
***XOM Earnings - Will be rock star status. May not be as good as historic record in Q2, but it will be close. XOM is valued at $400 billion company,...way to frickin' low. That Guyana project at low value crude is $375 billion value alone. You ready for it - XOM is really a Trillion dollar company. ....... Noted analysts have been waiting to the last minute to post earnings projections for last 4 quarters. It's a political hot potato and they don't want to appear favorable because of the Administration and their attempt to tarnish XOM. Just the way it is. The analysts earnings estimates and XOM's numbers will likely reflect "small beats", but the real numbers will be smokin' hot. The real numbers versus year-ago will be awesome and large beats. So, you have to overlook the PC-ism going on from analysts, just the way it is. ETA: I'm at $4.06 on earnings.
***Other Potpourri - Today some smart analytic group is curiously noting that the O&G sector is 4.6% weighted in DOW 30. And, suggesting it should be higher. Yeah,...should be 6%, but XOM will likely not get invited due to Brandon's focus on XOM and XOM needs a credit rating update to support a case to re-enter. Credit rating agencies are ignoring XOM,...wonder why? This Q3, XOM will build the cash war chest to over $30 billion, have great earnings, provide kickass guidance and investors will scratch their heads. Regardless, the press is picking up speed on pushing XOM in their articles. Institutions own 60% of XOM and they aren't selling. XOM is buying back $30 billion shares over 2 years (2022/2023) and that's about 1/13th of the company(was 1/12th a month ago). How long before XOM pops. I am thinking XOM will see a one day pop of $7 to $8 before the end of this calendar year. XOM and WTI,...that relationship of a +/- $3 spread is over for the time being. XOM disassociated itself from WTI. Hell, yesterday it was $17 spread and today we're at $19. XOM breakeven on crude is $41. XOM will print cash for a long time. Even if Brandon wants to fill the SPR at $67 to $72 (ha ha ha) it's a money maker for XOM.

I am going to wait until after earnings to contemplate CC's. All these late comers to XOM should begin to pile in on good news after earnings. ***BIG RED FLAG*** = Jerome Powell Meeting on Nov 1 & 2. That's a risky proposition to wait until after earnings on 10/28 with the Fed Meeting that close. ***I may shift my stance, I will update, but that's my stance now.*** Remember, Powell wants 10% unemployment and/or break the housing market and mofo is serious. Labor is the only lever he has. Heinenkandle noted in his post and I agree. This mofo ain't going doveish. I don't intend to miss the opp on CC's so I'm staying fluid because that's a cra-cra mofo in the Fed Chair. The CC's I'm looking at that work for me and my financial situation, once we get to $105 share price are, 1/29/2024 - $105's and $110's as well as the 6/21/2024 - $100's. I will not CC's my entire position. I have other financial goals I want to meet and plan to sell shares at $118 to $120. The CC's are priority one and the share selling is priority 2. If Brandon and Powell sink this market, so be it. I'll collect div's and plan accordingly. Hope this helps you.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Easy trade here. Bidding on a 3785/3780 put credit spread for $3. Not filled yet.

$300 reward, $200 risk.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Heineken- I'm glad you're here.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Easy trade here. Bidding on a 3785/3780 put credit spread for $3. Not filled yet.

$300 reward, $200 risk.

Going to cancel and revisit later.
irish pete ag06
AG

Agreed!

Brewmaster
AG

likewise! now, who is Heineken? austinAg reincarnated?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SIAP, new tax brackets for 2023.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/19/irs-here-are-the-new-income-tax-brackets-for-2023.html
irish pete ag06
AG
I feel like a hacker. I've been using "the system" that Brian Jones pitches on Twitter. I managed to copy a script and change it to where the green cloud on my screen is 30 minute 10 and 50 SMA no matter what time frame I am on.

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
WTI,....Shorts flushed.....rejected at the EIA Weekly Report release this morning and during Brandon's press conference. Me likey..
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
BREwmaster said:

likewise! now, who is Heineken? austinAg reincarnated?
I thought he was Aggie Daniel?

Am I wrong?
AgEng06
AG
I think he types way too much info to be aggiedaniel. Daniel was/is great, but he wasn't exactly wordy most of the time.
topher06
Flush up or down into Tesla earnings?
First Page Last Page
Page 5773 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.