Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,898,791 Views | 231359 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Bocephus
jwhitlock3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No I was more questioning whether I was correct with my stop loss or playing it too tight. I took shares at 1.95, so a stop at 1.80 is a tight stop, less than 8% loss. I hate setting stops on these things, but at the moment with my account bleeding small caps I wanted to be more diligent about setting a stop and sticking to it.
JCRiley09
AG
With ESPN, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and a reasonably successful streaming platform that kids live on, the company isn't going anywhere. Long term, DIS will preserver and grow.

As far as the bleeding, I'm new to analytics (and investing in general), but the weekly and monthly charts both have EMAs around 140 (200 EMA and 50 EMA respectively), so support might not arrive until then. I know a lot of folks on here seem to live and die on pointing out gaps, and it's worth mentioning that the daily and weekly have a gap that goes down to around 128.

It'll bounce back eventually and I plan on buying more shares as it falls like Triple Bagger
ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Anyone going long DIS with shares here?

Down after a bad earnings but this company always manages to reinvent itself. With possible expanding college
Football playoffs, could be more games and more viewers for ESPN. Company is a bit woke for my taste, but seems a solid company and will be even better after COVID.

Thoughts?
Minimal downside risk at this price. It would definitely be one of the main targets for money when there's a rotation out of tech.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NRD09 said:

I'm as permabull as there is, but I got bent over last time I thumbed my nose at the bicycle chart. It is just too consistent

Stupid bicycle chart. Weak opex. I got spy puts for Monday, if those don't pay (or even if they do) I'm flipping long for Santa rally
cageybee77
AG
looks like AMAT may have finished "paying" for the miss. bottoming and volume seems to be picking up.
62strat
AG
Man, AMZN giveth, then AMZN taketh away.
BaylorSpineGuy
Yeah, thanks for that. I'm gonna buy DIS come Monday.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Today was OPEX. Amazon probably provides some good entries next week.
Aggie118
AG
CEI flying AH
irish pete ag06
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Anyone going long DIS with shares here?

Down after a bad earnings but this company always manages to reinvent itself. With possible expanding college
Football playoffs, could be more games and more viewers for ESPN. Company is a bit woke for my taste, but seems a solid company and will be even better after COVID.

Thoughts?
Waiting for a higher low and any type of strength to show up. 152 is a very key level. If it loses that I can see the next 2 supports being 142 and 134. 134 is a very large area of support. If it can hold 152, I am going to take a starter on some LEAPS
irish pete ag06
AG
Speaking of sector rotation above. When does Tech cool off?

The QQQs have really diverged from the others in the last 5 months.
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Today was OPEX. Amazon probably provides some good entries next week.
AAPL sure didn't care. I played it 3 times this week. I think HP had a 163 target. It's almost there.
irish pete ag06
AG
Today may be my proudest day of day trading. I've been trying to get better day trading by playing defense first to preserve capital. The 2 days prior both were great days for my small little account with catching some good sized runners that saw my little account grow by 33% and 27% respectively.

Today was not quite so much. Most setups I took ended up being quite choppy and didn't follow through. Lots of fake outs with it being OPEX Friday. In my older days this would have wrecked me and I would have given up all the gains from the previous day.

Instead I was only red by $18 while playing 5 different tickers today. I was in and out of trades quickly. A few small losses and a couple of small wins. Capital preserved and onto the next week.
cageybee77
AG
awesome!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You need to know your stops in advance.
cageybee77
AG

I would pay for a formula that would calculate stops taking into account:

1) an individual's investor's overall risk tolerance
2) a stock's "risky-ness" (I've seen them on some websites)
3) a stock's current volatility
4) the stock's industry trends
5) the size of the trade relative to an investor's entire portfolio
6) where the stock is (oversold/undersold)
7) other relevant company stats.
8) blah blah blah.

the list above is probably garbage....but you get the idea. I've made a lot of errors setting stops (and I have gotten some right) so I could use some help, especially when I get to trading quickly during volatile times.
cageybee77
AG
VKTX. hmmmm. I might put a few $ into this craziness as a total gamble.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
agdaddy04
AG
cageybee77 said:

VKTX. hmmmm. I might put a few $ into this craziness as a total gamble.

Tell me more
cageybee77
AG
just saw this and found it interesting.

Wall Street Analysts Think Viking Therapeutics, Inc. (VKTX) Could Surge 226%: Read This Before Placing a Bet | Nasdaq
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Thanksgiving for me will be different but it used to consist of pitches of why I should "help out" family members. They get upset when my help out approach involves effort.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
cageybee77 said:

I would pay for a formula that would calculate stops taking into account:

1) an individual's investor's overall risk tolerance
2) a stock's "risky-ness" (I've seen them on some websites)
3) a stock's current volatility
4) the stock's industry trends
5) the size of the trade relative to an investor's entire portfolio
6) where the stock is (oversold/undersold)
7) other relevant company stats.
8) blah blah blah.

the list above is probably garbage....but you get the idea. I've made a lot of errors setting stops (and I have gotten some right) so I could use some help, especially when I get to trading quickly during volatile times.

Some simple rules anyone could use:

1) for options put 1-2% of your account value into a given trade. Stop loss at 50%. Set the stop when you make the trade

2) for lottos, bet 0.5% or less and be prepared for zero

3) for stocks, 5% of portfolio, set a stop below major support.

This gets talked about a lot but your reward has to exceed your risk across all your trades
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If you're playing weeklies, either play small or have rigid stop control. Most people aren't good at that.

Long calls are best 2 months out. That way you can get out when the trade is no longer valid without being totally destroyed
agdaddy04
AG
Does size of account not matter when giving the %s?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Does size of account not matter when giving the %s?

It depends on your objectives. If you had a 5K account, you'd have to bet bigger. I would do like 5% then.
bmks270
AG
Anyone ever had success with self made algorithms automatically trading for you? Something that you developed yourself, not bought.

Years ago I spent a lot of hours looking at options prices and experimenting with different buy/sell rules and found one or two methods that had totally ridiculous gains, enough to merit risking some money, but only over a few years, then no more gains. Signs of changing markets I guess. I didn't have money to experiment with then, so it was more of programming exercise for me, but now I have some cash I could just dedicate to letting something run if I found something that fit the current markets.

There is the hindsight and survivorship bias in this approach and recognizing a shift in the viability of a trading strategy in real time might not be possible.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I would love to have the time to work through creating of a trading algorithm. That sounds like a blast. I would suggest that every correlation, or factor, you include in your algorithm should have a reason why it would be included in a predictive model. Why are the ranges or limits appropriate. Why use that metric versus a similar metric. That is how you apply knowledge base and experience to multi-variant history matches in order to (hopefully) make them predictive. Otherwise you are more likely to end up relying on biased models that may match historical behavior but have limited application for prediction.

Additionally, that type of thought going into your model makes it easier to make adjustments to market changes quickly instead of needing a ton of failure data, and losing money, before you scrap and change models.
Ragoo
AG
This is already done

https://optionalpha.com/
bmks270
AG
Ragoo said:

This is already done

https://optionalpha.com/

I'm asking if anyone had any success with their own algorithms? Have you?
Ragoo
AG
I am not smart enough for that
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Folks,

I'm going through charts and most either look like crap or they're extended. Feels like a time for some caution.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Well which of the small cap/ techs look most like crap, so we can buy bargain basement before russell/pharma/Santa rally?
Think I'm reloading crwd dec17 calls in the morning and probably some more luv calls. Zm earnings tomorrow, lots of fud sentiment, could be a good call lotto opportunity
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Aggiedaniel still ducking in? I remember he had an algo
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
NRD09 said:

Well which of the small cap/ techs look most like crap, so we can buy bargain basement before russell/pharma/Santa rally?
Think I'm reloading crwd dec17 calls in the morning and probably some more luv calls. Zm earnings tomorrow, lots of fud sentiment, could be a good call lotto opportunity

Have you looked at the premium?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
On what? Zm? I have not...I'm at the beach, what I posted is pretty much the extent of my analysis at the moment
First Page Last Page
Page 4670 of 6611

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.