Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,080,417 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by El_duderino
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you own one of these, this is what happens:

Calls, you make money if the entity makes a (time dependent) move up.

Puts, you make money if the entity makes a (time dependent) move down.
ProgN
oldarmy1 said:

He has been flaunting it in my face.
I love your dad even more now.
FJ43

DNN approaching my buy zone. $1.06 now. Will wait for closer to $1
SF2004
AG
Coming up on the end of the day.

We going to have a bounce tomorrow or buy some overnight puts?
ag94whoop
AG
Ok
I will use real life portfolio examples

I own 1300 shares of TLRY average cost is about $27.80
I own 4500 shares of WWR avg cost is $7.82

How does buying puts against one of those help me when I'm this upside down? I am just trying to wrap my head around this concept
FJ43
Anyone see anything between 406.10 and 404 as potential support?
FTAG 2000
AG
FJ43 said:

Looks to be a volume shelf to 405.33 then look out below.
mazag08
AG
ag94whoop said:

Ok

How does buying puts against one of those help me when I'm this upside down? I am just trying to wrap my head around this concept
Essentially, you are buying puts in case the thing absolutely tanks. Puts react to tanking the way call buying reacts to mooning. But it costs you to buy puts, same as it would to buy calls. So OA is saying he offsets the cost by selling OTM calls. He's hedhing the downside while manipulating it to not spend any money doing so. The only thing that would hurt is if the price skyrocketed overnight and he got called out of his shares.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
My rook eyes see possible support around 405.3 on the 4 hr chart, but I could be mistaken.
McInnis 03
AG
May 10:

Just now:

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
FJ43 said:

If Irish 2.0 sees a major support on QQQ, it could slow SPY.
E
AG
oldarmy1 said:

E said:

Is it too late to sell and go away in May then rebuy at lower levels later on?

Asking for a friend...
https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0dce4d02-85c7-4fad-b03f-e3cb3ee382fa

I shoulda listened...

I am only in longer term holds and am still up "bigly" over the past year across the board thanks to NIO, SNDL, ONTX, MARA, ZOM, CIDM and DOGE....

NGL, CLOV, MBIO, WWR, DPW and UWMC are my reds
ag94whoop
AG
mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

Ok

Essentially, you are buying puts in case the thing absolutely tanks. Puts react to tanking the way call buying reacts to mooning. But it costs you to buy puts, same as it would to buy calls. So OA is saying he offsets the cost by selling OTM calls. He's hedhing the downside while manipulating it to not spend any money doing so. The only thing that would hurt is if the price skyrocketed overnight and he got called out of his shares.

But why not market sell if it hits that strike price? Then you wouldn't have the cost or haste of the puts
FJ43
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

FJ43 said:

If Irish 2.0 sees a major support on QQQ, it could slow SPY.
Never thought of that. Hold it is....
mazag08
AG
ag94whoop said:

mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

Ok

But why not market sell if it hits that strike price? Then you wouldn't have the cost or haste of the puts
If you're in aa huge hole? Because you aren't wanting to or expecting to take the loss pf shares. It's a strategy in a down period where upside is mostly out of reach.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/dont-be-fooled-by-aprils-inflation-jump-its-being-driven-by-reopening-quirks-51620847392?mod=mw_latestnews

This article explains it all. I'm going to sleep better tonight.

There's a lot of people being fooled. <laugh/cry emoticon>

<*sarc>
ag94whoop
AG
mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

Ok

If you're in aa huge hole? Because you aren't wanting to or expecting to take the loss pf shares. It's a strategy in a down period where upside is mostly out of reach.

I'm just trying to understand the difference between buying puts that cause me to sell shares below current price, or just selling them at that same price without the puts.
McInnis 03
AG
SPY, THROW THE F'ING TOWEL.
McInnis 03
AG
SPY is now firing a daily TTM_squeeze in the bearish direction.....if you're into that kind of thing. Not sure I want to see 3-5 more days of this in a row.
McInnis 03
AG
This news breaks and SPY starts to run up a bit

McInnis 03
AG
Not to spoil any bears' parade, but when you zoom out to the weekly, we've dipped down to the 10wk average, which if you look back just a tad.....we've done this quite a few times...............This may not be as scary as it seems.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
We have gone +2 ATR to -2ATR on the SPX in 3 trading sessions. That's a large move. Similar theme with NQ. I think we're close to temporarily done.

You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
rgag12
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/dont-be-fooled-by-aprils-inflation-jump-its-being-driven-by-reopening-quirks-51620847392?mod=mw_latestnews

This article explains it all. I'm going to sleep better tonight.

There's a lot of people being fooled. <laugh/cry emoticon>

<*sarc>

FJ43
ProgN
$30,000 Millionaire said:

We have gone +2 ATR to -2ATR on the SPX in 3 trading sessions. That's a large move. Similar theme with NQ. I think we're close to temporarily done.

I think futures will be down big in the morning with a possible red to green move in the cards.
BrokeAssAggie
Those TSLA puts should be looking good for you, FJ.
SF2004
AG

Sweet baby Jesus please...
McInnis 03
AG

GOOD because if we can get VIX to give up about 7 pts in the next 21 days I'll be up a cool fake $15K
mazag08
AG
ag94whoop said:

mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

mazag08 said:

ag94whoop said:

Ok

I'm just trying to understand the difference between buying puts that cause me to sell shares below current price, or just selling them at that same price without the puts.
Because you aren't expecting this to be a tank and you don't WANT to take the loss that would guarantee by selling now. It's a hedge.. meaning if this thing breaks down big, you are limiting your loss by locking in a price. But again, you are not EXPECTING for this to execute.. merely to save your ass in a **** hit the fan scenario. Selling the calls against it is merely a way to offset the cost of buying the hedge.
FJ43
Out of all trades. Popcorn time to see what happens here.
FJ43

Hoping so. Would love a move back up.
FJ43
CrazyRichAggie said:

Those TSLA puts should be looking good for you, FJ.
$5.75<$11.80. I sold below $10. Missed a second entry at mid $6s by a nickel. Live and learn.

VS Options call out by the way. She identifies some potentially good plays each day and you choose. She does alert for her entry and her scaling out or exits. Also provides what levels she sees anyway.

They are SPX traders as well.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

What do you guys think happens? I bet volatility is down tomorrow.
Ragoo
AG
I'd rather be short stock than long puts.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I took a small position in 05/21 SPY 406C. We're really oversold.
First Page Last Page
Page 3843 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.