Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,083,444 Views | 231801 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My understanding is if you are holding options on a stock and let's say earnings release AH is bad and your options will be in the ****ter in the morning then you will want to short the stock AH to offset any losses against your options.
cisgenderedAggie
D2F1D0 said:

Can someone explain this?

I know AO talked quickly in the first newbies seminar.

"Must leverage after hours trading to exploit option positions on big AH moves. Short shares against calls on big spikes, buy shares against puts on major sell offs. Effectively close position when restricted from option trading. (See AMC)"

I think what this means is using your long option holdings to play the opposite side of the movement.

Say you bought 4 call options for this week's meme stonk. The following week, when the expected move up occurs and you are ITM, you aim to sell 2 to go net free on the remaining 2. Instead of just waiting for time decay to eat premium while you aren't sure if you want to sell your net free calls, you can short sell up to 200 shares of the stock in anticipation of the movement cratering. If it happens, great! You just juiced extra cash out of your play and still have 2 free calls. If the stock runs, and your short sell is a loss, the 2 ITM calls you hold can be exercised or sold to cover your repurchase of the short sale.

I think the put is the opposite. You sold the puts and the stock craters. Instead of selling all the puts, you could hold some and buy the stock. If the price recovers, you can sell your purchase at profit along with the puts before they are OTM. If it continues to crater, your remaining puts can cover most of your loss on the stock purchase.

Someone else should confirm that I am following correctly, but it seems like just a risk mitigation strategy to juice extra cash from the trades that get posted here (or in general when you start finding your own plays). The AH movements can provide a place to juice this during times you can't trade the options but markets are being manipulated.
Ragoo
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

My understanding is if you are holding options on a stock and let's say earnings release AH is bad and your options will be in the ****ter in the morning then you will want to short the stock AH to offset any losses against your options.
opposite

If you are long a call and the price is in the money on a big move early. You cannot sell the options premarket, so you sell the shares short.

Example:
Long a call at 100
Pre-market trading is 110
The last 30 minutes before the bell the stock drifts back to 105. You lost $5 because you could not sell the option.

So:
Sell the stock short at 110
This turns into a synthetic covered call or call spread vertical. Long the shares at 100, short the shares at 110 pocket $10.
BrokeAssAggie
That's what I meant l. Maybe I worded it wrong.
HawthornAggie
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

WeBull declined me for options trading citing inconsistent investment objectives (growth...), maybe it's because I haven't funded the account yet. I emailed them to protest. Might be on to Robinhood at this rate. I did request level 5 options on a brand new account.

I guess I really am getting the $100 to invest experience.

If you end up on webull, feel free to post your referral code. I've been wanting to create a small, learning account like this as well on one of these platforms.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
VYGVF... buy it and forget about it.

Digital exchange for crypto that's a $50-75 stock in 2 years.

5x easy in 2 years.

3x users from January to December and same expected in February.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

more later. post if you want me to chart something.

QCOM and AQUA
leoj
AG
I just resubscribed to premium so I could post images. Going to try and do a lot more chart study and research/review so I can keep increasing my knowledge as well as receive feedback and constructive criticism.

So along those lines, think I have found a pretty good channel set up with some upside potential in the vein of what OA was discussing in his call with $FIVN currently. Seems ready to launch off the 8/21ema's above the $184 resistance into the top half of the channel. You can see what happened back on 12/10 as a similar setup after a shop drop from the top of the channel and losing the 50sma for a bit.

leoj
AG
This one would have been nice to catch back on 1/27-2/1 off of the 50sma. $FOUR

$FSLY ready to consolidate at the bottom of the channel and 50day to continue the move up? Believe ARK has been a buyer. Also if you want to model T it from the high of $136.l5 on 10/13 to the low of $62.2 on 10/30 which starts this channel, guess where the low was on Friday? Right at the 50% retracement from that move. Not going to clutter this up further but take a look for yourselves.

Would have caught a $100 move on this one. $FVRR

HalifaxAg
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

VYGVF... but it and forget about it.

Digital exchange for crypto that's a $50-75 stock in 2 years.

5x easy in 2 years.

3x users from January to December and same expected in February.

Their financial reporting is trending the right way, cash on hand, a real staff, exploding revenues and new customer sign-ups...can someone else look at the DD aspect and tell me if I am wrong?

The business model sounds interesting but I'm no banker/brokerage.

update: I tried the app but I was put on a waitlist for an account! the app seems better than coinbase but I couldn't experience the trading first hand, seems like the waitlist would drive customers to other apps
Ornithopter
AG
The options on it look to agree with you too - the March 19s premiums are not cheap at all.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$NGL this has probably bottomed. No real premium in the options, yet.

I will probably try an accumulation plays of buying shares, selling the 2.5C and selling the march 2.5P. If you could get $0.40 on the puts, that would put your entry at 1.90, and you could sell 2.5C against that in a further out month. Not sexy, but this is probably a no lose trade.
gougler08
AG
Silly question probably but why are some of your charts red/yellow and some red/blue?
FJ43

$NGL this has probably bottomed. No real premium in the options, yet.

I will probably try an accumulation plays of buying shares, selling the 2.5C and selling the march 2.5P. If you could get $0.40 on the puts, that would put your entry at 1.90, and you could sell 2.5C against that in a further out month. Not sexy, but this is probably a no lose trade.
Interesting find 30k. Just looking at the chart from the forum but looks like a double or maybe triple bottom Gonna check this out tomorrow. Like it and how you can really use the strategies we have been on so many.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Someone asked about FUBO. I can see something sort of like C&H or also a giant wedge.

You want to see over $53 or so for big upward movement
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
depends on the view i'm using.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
would love your opinion. I don't know if this will be like AMC, but I like energy stocks and this is a long way from ATH.
FJ43

would love your opinion. I don't know if this will be like AMC, but I like energy stocks and this is a long way from ATH.
You got it. I think first look has some potential and could get in with low risk and 'angle' in even more possibly. Mrs. FJ gave me clearance for 'hunting' and charting tomorrow. One son getting married next Friday and the other in about 5 weeks. Busy time in our house at the moment.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$WST, pretty easy to see wedge, but I like that its holding support. Probably decent R/R on selling put credit spreads
irish pete ag06
AG

Someone asked about FUBO. I can see something sort of like C&H or also a giant wedge.

You want to see over $53 or so for big upward movement
There a little lopsided but still motorboatin...
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$X this has cooled down from its short run-up. Materials needs are not over.

Decent premium selling puts or shares/covered calls, you could get entries in the 14s or get a 7.5% gain for your trouble.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$HD has a symmetrical wedge and earnings soon.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$MELI.

Argentinian e-commerce. This is the future. Daily squeeze, moving averages look good, consolidating near ATH. It's $$, though.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
If you were gonna sell puts tues on dis, dg, or hd which would you choose?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
don't sleep on $SPLK. I need to see when earnings is, but this could be a decent run into earnings. Big open gap above. Most companies use splunk in their IT/development.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I missed the move on $MCD, I suck.

$EA could take out all time highs. I would start buying this above $150, may do a small position now.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$ROKU, earnings coming up, will it get to $500?

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$LAZR, I'm in this and excited about it.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
FJ43 said:

You got it. I think first look has some potential and could get in with low risk and 'angle' in even more possibly. Mrs. FJ gave me clearance for 'hunting' and charting tomorrow. One son getting married next Friday and the other in about 5 weeks. Busy time in our house at the moment.

I know trade the price and volume action not speculation, but I'd say there's risk with any pipeline company related to this administration. Both of you are big boys and careful, but I just wanted to toss that out there. The Federal government can and will block or shutdown any pipeline project for really no reason other than just to virtue signal to their base. It seems pipelines are the red headed step child niche of the already demonized oil industry. Things can go sideways really quickly.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$QCOM - I'm not excited about, but it has a confirmed reversal. Saying differently, I don't see a trade that I would take.

$AQUA - this broke through it's 89 EMA, really bearish pattern. It's below the 50day. 200 day is about $21. I'd probably be willing to buy around there.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Interesting. Thanks for the input.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
OA - I like the nice bull flag on GILD!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If this does what I think it is going to do, I am going to call this "caldera and handle".

irish pete ag06
AG
Is this from IBKR?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
TOS
First Page Last Page
Page 3248 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.