Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,048,096 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Chef Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It sucked riding it down from the high after they were on 60 Minutes, I felt duped! Well it is China, so knock on wood, but I plan on holding my remaining 1/3 regardless of fundamentals. China wants their own Tesla so badly, they want any and everything American but built in China and ran by their own people.

Big thanks for all the great long ideas here. I'm a fairly young investor and this thread is life changing if you are willing to learn. Even as a finance grad, working in finance, investing since high school and obtaining other financial certifications, I've only scratched the surface with everything I'm learning here.

Let the winners run if you really believe in the company. If you want to sell, always know what you'll do with the money afterwards. If you don't know, it'll sit on the sidelines as you wait for a pullback that may never happen.

59 South
AG
Prognightmare said:

"Rubbish"
CheladaAg
AG
TSLA puts yolo lottos so tempting.
59 South
AG
Just checking in on the weekly charts on my big holdings... NIO and ROKU are pretty darn sexy...if you're into chart pron.
frankm01
third coast.. said:

Would there be buyers for $5 calls on a $60 stock? Seems people wouldn't even be looking at those. Genuinely curious.
TC, I think the conversation was asking if anyone was sub $5 cost basis on $NIO stock, not calls.
BrokeAssAggie
ASAN volume
ProgN
Checkout the chart on GBT and give me your opinion
corndog04
AG
Out of curiosity I wanted to compare TSLA bubble to QCOM in dot-com bubble. Week 0 is 1/1/1998 for QCOM and 2/25/19 for TSLA in this case, and then plotting relative price by week normalizing week 0 price to $1. I know nothing about relative fundamentals of qualcomm at the time nor if there is any value in this comparison.

McKinney Ag69
AG

Anyone handwringing and PMing OA1 on twitter about an option play 10 minutes in is a moron. Stop it! His track record speaks for itself.
leoj
AG
frankm01 said:

third coast.. said:

Would there be buyers for $5 calls on a $60 stock? Seems people wouldn't even be looking at those. Genuinely curious.
TC, I think the conversation was asking if anyone was sub $5 cost basis on $NIO stock, not calls.

E said he has Jan $5 calls I'm assuming he bought at an incredibly low cost basis and hung onto.
McInnis 03
AG
Never post about a good day, it catches you the next day.
ProgN
IMO, no because RH didn't exist and online brokerages were in their infancy. Now, the pool of people chasing stocks and buying them over coffee at Starbucks has grown exponentially.
McKinney Ag69
AG
59 South
AG
Prognightmare said:

Checkout the chart on GBT and give me your opinion
Looks good shorter term. Coming up on previous resistance 49. Get through that, and there's quite a bit of room with 51 gap fill first stop. Could swing back to mid 50s, but there's falling channel resistance there. I'd look for a full back here under 47 (about 46.75) for a breakout back test entry and swing it for a potential 10-15%.
E
AG
leoj said:

frankm01 said:

third coast.. said:

E said he has Jan $5 calls I'm assuming he bought at an incredibly low cost basis and hung onto.

Yup, bought 1/15/21 $5 Leaps back in sumner of 2019... I'm up bigly now
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

Rough day? 2nd half on deck go get'em!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

gougler08
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I ended up on the 1/15 840P and it's actually gone up a bit even with the stock price going up a bit too. I think I may hold over the weekend to let this ride unless we see a big dip this afternoon
frankm01
E said:

leoj said:

frankm01 said:

third coast.. said:

Yup, bought 1/15/21 $5 Leaps back in sumner of 2019... I'm up bigly now
Gotcha, I stand corrected. Thanks. Nice move, btw.
McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Rough day? 2nd half on deck go get'em!
2nd half is where I really fail so we'll probably shut it down ugly. UGLY.
E
AG
59 South said:

E said:

59 South said:

leoj said:

My god. Are any of the sub $5 holders of NIO still long?
Here. Bought a lot in my 401k average 4.66... just took a peek... 1165% Also bought some in my Roth IRA with avg 7.75.
I have a bunch 1/15 $5 calls that I plan on exercising next week... just trying to figure out what's the best way to do use it as a long term hold, but I have it in a my Robinhood account. Don't want to have to pay too much in taxes...
Now THAT'S a first world problem to have. On the bright side, it's only January so you won't actually be paying that tax for a while... or maybe you would have to send in something Q1? I hate the tax aspect of it all. If you've owned the calls over a year you could sell the calls vs exercising and only pay long term cap gains?

Yes very first world problems to have and I am very fortunate to have them! As for only paying long term cap gains I have no idea... I'm very tax dumb.

I bought these calls back in June/July 2019 so I figure I'm on the hook for a good chunk of taxes which I will prepare for. I plan to hold for a long time (or until god forbid NIO tanks hard). Do you get hit with taxes when exercising calls for shares, or only when you sell the shares/calls for profit?
oldarmy1
AG
Man that speculation of gold and silver unwinding once the election was final paid off. It filled the first gap at $21.83 on the button for a clean max gain exit after initial 50% sell and if that fails it has all the way down to $21.10 gap.

0708aggie
AG
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/053115/tax-treatment-call-put-options.asp

There you go.

If you exercise. Holding period starts the date of exercise, so you have no "gain" until you sell the stock, but you would need to hold for 1 year to get LTCG treatment.
Decay
AG
So cool.
59 South
AG
I think this is how it works:

• If you sell calls now they work just like shares, and you'd be on the hook for long term gain 15% tax.
  • If you exercise and purchase the shares at $5, you enter a new trade with cost basis of $5 + whatever you paid for them per share. If you sell between exercising and one calendar year later, you'd be on the hook for short term capital gains tax (added income so taxed at whatever your highest tax bracket is that year).
0708aggie
AG
Correct.
oldarmy1
AG
Sold $ASAN $30 Feb 19 covered calls on 50% of shares.
BearkatRunner88
AG
Why have the premiums on NET gone up so much without as much relative movement?
0708aggie
AG
I think its just catching up to FV. They didnt move that much this morning with that big jump over 81.

Thats my opinion. Obviously listen to an expert.

Or someone said hey 0708Aggie went net free, lets juice this bad boy
zag213004
AG
BearkatRunner88 said:

No idea but I approve of this
oldarmy1
AG
BearkatRunner88 said:

Because it is now underpinned versus sliding downward. Isn't that cool?
E
AG
Thanks for all the info and help guys!

Good to know that I could sell and just pay the LTCG now, or have to wait another year after exercising to get Long Term. Wish I exercised a few months earlier to shorten my current wait time, but my plan was to keep these hopefully for a few years and watch NIO become the next TSLA
McKinney Ag69
AG
E
AG
0708aggie said:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/053115/tax-treatment-call-put-options.asp

There you go.

If you exercise. Holding period starts the date of exercise, so you have no "gain" until you sell the stock, but you would need to hold for 1 year to get LTCG treatment.

Great read
Rice and Fries
Anyone have any good Pot ETFs to recommend?
BearkatRunner88
AG
Challenger 17 said:

When OA responds to your question on the board with a tweet...

First Page Last Page
Page 2721 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.