Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,236,773 Views | 225114 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sold my 100c for 9.5 on Tuesday
ProgN
Quote:

More cuts to 401(k) matches are coming
Today 11:47 AM ET (MarketWatch)
Print
By Kimberly Blanton

Suspending matching contributions has become somewhat of a recession tradition

To conserve cash, some employers are suspending contributions to their workers' 401(k) accounts. And if this downturn plays out like previous recessions, more will follow.

The handful of employers announcing suspensions in recent weeks include travel companies and retailers hit first and hardest by shrinking consumer demand, including Amtrak, Marriott Vacations Worldwide (MAR), the travel company Sabre, Macy's (M), Bassett Furniture Industries (BSET), Haverty Furniture Cos (HVT), and La-Z-Boy (LZB).

Tenet Healthcare (THC) and a physician practice in Boston on the front lines of providing expensive coronavirus care have also suspended their matches. Employees, not surprisingly, are unhappy with these moves. An emergency room doctor told the Boston Globe (https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/metro/coronavirus-rages-doctors-hit-with-cuts-compensation/) that his organization's decision comes as he is "working huge extra hours trying to scrape together [personal protective equipment] and otherwise brace for COVID-19."

Read: Congress has doubled the amount you can borrow from your 401(k) -- but there's a hidden danger (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congress-has-doubled-the-amount-you-can-borrow-from-your-401k-but-theres-a-hidden-danger-2020-04-06)

Employers are required to give their workers a 30-day notice and cannot stop the match prior to the 30-day period.

Suspending matching contributions has become somewhat of a recession tradition. In the months following the September 2008 market crash, more than 200 major companies rushed to do so, according to the Center for Retirement Research (https://crr.bc.edu/briefs/why-did-some-employers-suspend-their-401k-match/). The firms' primary financial motivation was easing an immediate cash-flow constraint -- not a concern about profits -- the researchers found.

But cutting 401(k) contributions may be a small price to pay for mitigating layoffs, said Megan Gorman, a managing partner with Chequers Financial Management in San Francisco. "It might be a stopgap to help save the business in the long run," she said. A typical employer matches 50% of employee contributions up to 6% of their salaries.
ProgN
La Bamba
AG
Cuomo must have puts expiring tomorrow cause Market tanked the minute he put that out.
Shiner Bock
market feels so overbought right now, closed most positions, will wait for a pull back
Brewmaster
AG
2.5mil share volume bar on SNSS
TChaney
Carlo4
AG
I wonder if Cuomo's announcement will be the push the end of the bear market rally.
ProgN
Carlo4 said:

I wonder if Cuomo's announcement will be the push the end of the bear market rally.
I think what Abbott says tomorrow at his presser carries more weight for the market. No one expected NY, NJ etc to open at the beginning of May.
La Bamba
AG
Pretty crazy

J_Landes89
AG
Who on here subscribes to Manic Trading?

I see it's $149 a month, I think it is worth trying....

Their calls lately (from private twitter to subscribers) have been on fire....

Anyone with a recommendation for or against?
BB675
AG
Those in CHWY, do you anticipate the stock to continue an upward trend?
ProgN
Jizzle89 said:

Who on here subscribes to Manic Trading?

I see it's $149 a month, I think it is worth trying....

Their calls lately (from private twitter to subscribers) have been on fire....

Anyone with a recommendation for or against?
BrewMaster is a paying member IIRC, you might want to find him.
gvine07
AG
Prognightmare said:

Carlo4 said:

I think what Abbott says tomorrow at his presser carries more weight for the market. No one expected NY, NJ etc to open at the beginning of May.

New York is passed its peak, Texas is projected to be 2 weeks out from our peak. Don't expect it to be back to normal in Texas soon
RGRAg1/75
AG
gvine07 said:

Prognightmare said:

Carlo4 said:

New York is passed its peak, Texas is projected to be 2 weeks out from our peak. Don't expect it to be back to normal in Texas soon

We're always two weeks out from peak. Just my humble observation.
Jevertson
AG
Is LUV a buy now or do y'all think it has lower to go?
gougler08
AG
gvine07 said:

Prognightmare said:

Carlo4 said:

That model for Texas just continues to move out each time it updates...they've got no ****ing clue
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
Ok... I'm playing around with thinkorswim using paper money. Someone give me a recent option they are in on to try out...
ryanhnc10
AG
Let's see if this SPY 276 area still holds
ProgN
AgEng06 said:

Ok... I'm playing around with thinkorswim using paper money. Someone give me a recent option they are in on to try out...
Buy the 5/15 150c on ROKU. That one will be fun to watch.
jbeck3487
AG
I use it and recommend it. Just make sure you know it entails watching pretty closely. Also, make sure you create your own goals and stick to trading them.

It's not an educational service. They just provide their trades.
ProgN
gvine07 said:

Prognightmare said:

Carlo4 said:

I'm expecting Abbott to announce partial opening of all business on May 1st.
AgEng06
AG
Done. So now I can monitor it, and the P/L I see will update as the price moves, correct?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
ProgN
affirmative
62strat
AG
RoyalOak00 said:

Just picked up 100 shares. Will buy more if it dips post earnings report on 4/24.
I just picked up 160 as well at $31.

Long term hold for me.
AgEng06
AG
Since I have you here... after I placed that, it was marked as "filled". I assumed it would stay as "working" since the date is so far out. What does filled mean in this situation?
AnyOtherName
AG
Thoughts on EAT (Brinker International) as a long term hold? Bought 200 shares at 14.90 yesterday. Figured that it will turn at some point and open up once people start going out to eat.
Touchless
AG
It just means you 'own' it. You put in an order to buy it and once the order completes, it says the order was filled.
ProgN
It just means that your order was filled and you own the option, it's no longer working. When you sell to close it, it will go into working. Essentially means you own it.
Ragoo
AG
AgEng06 said:

make an array of 4-5 tickers. SPY and 4 stocks you like or have long term faith in. High tickers

Buy 1 call and put option at the money, $2, $4, $6, $10 wide or whatever delta makes sense to you.
4/24, 5/1, 5/8, 5/15

Then watch them fluctuate.
AgEng06
AG
Got it.

So I can "sell to close" at any point along the way, if I want to take the profits (or cut the losses)?
ProgN
Yep
La Bamba
AG
SPY saved at 276 again. Ridiculous.
First Page Last Page
Page 1329 of 6432

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.