Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,029,858 Views | 224265 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ProgN
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You see that volume flood bounce us 50+ points right at 43850?
pacecar02
yup, so we have resistance and the low has been/is being tested
oldarmy1
AG
pacecar02 said:

Support. We have support that held for now and then Trump news on signing the Omnibus bill spurred the markets upward.
rcannaday
AG
Surprised not a lot of talk about Libor... Libor issue for many corporates is going to be interesting...
oldarmy1
AG
pacecar02 said:

Sorry about that Pace....you might be saying we tested major support....it held and now are bumping against intraday resistance? If thats what you meant then absolutely.
pacecar02
That's what I meant, mixed the terms
leoj
AG
Look out below
FriscoKid
AG
Care to call the next level of support? Maybe you already did.
oldarmy1
AG
FriscoKid said:

Care to call the next level of support? Maybe you already did.

I can give estimated educated best guess once I plug in all the data points this weekend but I think We're looking at more than 1000 points if we don't rally above support Monday.

Major support becomes major resistance once violated 2 days.
leoj
AG
Damn
FriscoKid
AG
Looks like a pretty strong move right now.
FriscoKid
AG
oldarmy1 said:

pacecar02 said:

Support. We have support that held for now and then Trump news on signing the Omnibus bill spurred the markets upward.
Yeah, I was watching that too. I think the DOW moved about 100 points?
oldarmy1
AG
FriscoKid said:

oldarmy1 said:

pacecar02 said:

Those blips that melt away are so ridiculous aren't they.

At any rate......when it was said that macro wedge break was gonna be a directional signal.

Here ya go! All aboard the pain train. Had some big gains off the failure, largest 320% on the SPX Put, and held them all on the major support break. Don't fight the tape.
FriscoKid
AG
oldarmy1 said:

FriscoKid said:

oldarmy1 said:

pacecar02 said:

Those blips that melt away are so ridiculous aren't they.

At any rate......when it was said that macro wedge break was gonna be a directional signal.

Here ya go! All aboard the pain train. Had some big gains off the failure, largest 320% on the SPX Put, and held them all on the major support break. Don't fight the tape.
How else are you going to take out the tight stops?
oldarmy1
AG
Indeed.
leoj
AG
So I take it we can expect further losses next week? Lots of stocks starting to look pretty appealing.
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

So I take it we can expect further losses next week? Lots of stocks starting to look pretty appealing.
You have 1 day to get back above support. You trade options? Risking $200 to leverage 1000 shares sure makes a lot of sense if you are thinking the markets aren't done short term.

Sometimes when sentiment is all sell its time to buy. We still see a lot of people saying they are long. Then there's these contributors who are strongly on the sell side.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/SPX/technicals/
Post removed:
by user
FriscoKid
AG
I'm probably going to key off of Asia and Europe. If they continue selling Sunday night I think it's a pretty good bet we will follow. Hope there is an entry point pre-market.
Ranger222
AG
My number is 2461
oldarmy1
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

S&P closed at 2588. 200 day moving average is at 2585 and February low is 2% lower at 2532. I think consensus opinion is a lower open Monday, test the lows and then bounce. We are starting to get pretty oversold here so I think a bounce soon is probable. However I think odds are something else happens first like either we knife straight through the lows for a few days and then bounce or we have a small bounce Monday or Tuesday and everyone thinks we had a successful test of the lows but that bounce is sold quickly and aggressively before a more meaningful bounce takes place. Consensus is we hold 200 day moving average/ February lows and the consensus is typically wrong.

If we hold below the 200 day moving average/February lows for more than a few days, the odds of a deeper correction or possible bear market increase significantly IMO and it's long overdue.
We are right at 10% correction and the above post is a good one. Anything flash down Monday is irrelevant if we end up back above the orange. Above the green would be bullish trade-wise. But should the correction turn into another leg down then it will not be coming back anytime short-term IMO. Major support becomes resistance once violated with a close below it.

In the program trading era I have seen repeating volume charts multiple times. Right now I'm watching the blue ovals and note the arrows pointing to the increasing volumes as the initial leg down hits. The first selloff saw a second larger volume day occur as new lows hit. I'll be on early watch for that repeating pattern Monday.

Historically, the above posters scenario of a bloody open recovery back above support is spot on. If we were to have deep deep futures Sunday night I would be an overnight buyer of futures (again - we've discussed why traders should have 24/7 access to futures trading). Conversely, if we are anywhwere close to Friday's close at the open and head lower I'm not expecting it to come back. Obviously volume will dictate my actions on what we're seeing.

If a deeper correction does occur I see just above 22k DOW as the target. A 50% retracement of a short 13 month 8500 DOW move wouldn't surprise me in the least, nor should it buy and hold investors. It would naturally end in panic selling so I could see flash selling actually taking us close to 21k over a few days in that scenario. I know one thing, I would have 100% of my finances, negotiable instruments and even corporate reserves ready to push into such an opportunity.

I will say that the sideways action mentioned earlier on is a best case scenario into the fall elections IMO. I would be shocked to see markets break to new highs into those, so all those who love to point out incorrect posts can bookmark this statement.

I didn't include a scenario for an actual bear market because where are the indicators for that? Consumer confidence low? Nope. Inflation? Nope. Bond yields more attractive? Nope. Economic growth slowing? Nope. Profits shrinking? Nope. On and on and on those can go. Granted that 50% retracement scenario would be loudly (and proudly by the MSM and Dems) proclaimed as a bear market, and while technically I suppose it would be I would not treat it as a bear market due to the macro's domestically and globally.

Premium
AG
rcannaday said:

Surprised not a lot of talk about Libor... Libor issue for many corporates is going to be interesting...

Go on...
oldarmy1
AG
Futures up 187 DOW and 19.74 S&P.
FriscoKid
AG
Asia is really tame for now too. I'll be interested to see what Europe does in a few hours.

Looks good so far.
oldarmy1
AG
China and U.S. having trade negotiation talks.
Autos and Semiconductor stocks will make big runs if successful.

A big gap up off retest takes us back to sideways markets, although I must admit if China is serious about talks and concrete changes occur you will have the necessary powder keg for an explosion higher.

Having spent time in China with manufacturing wood flooring, and seeing how their economy operates any significant concessions would create an unsustainable labor environment.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Don't even get me started on the semiconductor assembly sites....
leoj
AG
Unsustainable, how so?
cgh1999
AG
GE broke below $13 - how far does it go?
FriscoKid
AG
It's just really hard to compete if you don't use places like China for electronics assembly. Even the IC fabs. IC vendors can sell me a cheaper chip because they have fabs overseas. A trade war (America only manufacturing) would cripple our economy.
FriscoKid
AG
I'm not in any trades today. For fun, I bet we close between flat and +100 on the DOW.
(+78)

It's still a bearish chart to me and this bump didn't break out of the trend lines IMO.

Edit: guess not. Solid
tailgatetimer10
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/26/china-offers-to-buy-more-us-semiconductors-to-cut-trade-surplus-ft.html

Sometimes its nice to get lucky off of these news. SOXL up around 10.5%
oldarmy1
AG
Down 1400 last week - up 700 today. That's worth paying attention to. Fill that gap 24655 on the DOW and 2710 on the S&P. That's still a lot of upside on a sideways trend. Markets take a breather next couple of days buy the dips.
FriscoKid
AG
I don't trust it. I'm sure you are right though. There is a nice reversal pattern, but I guess I really am a Bear at heart.
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
oldarmy1
AG
Anyone seeing this rumor floating around about gold/silver to back the dollar? Spot prices have been jumping last week and gold stocks are GG and other gold stocks broke out of multi-week resistance today.
claym711
AG
Zerohedge eh?
First Page Last Page
Page 93 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.