Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,102,992 Views | 224581 Replies | Last: 5 sec ago by Brian Earl Spilner
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
panduh bear said:

I've enjoyed playing the swings on ONTX after these dilutions. Usually at least .05 to be made on any shares if you can wait a week and sometimes a lot more.

OA was right though, something big was coming .

Wrong way though
leoj
AG
That stock has made a mint for people in the last month. Unless you were short for some reason lol
Brewmaster
AG
I'm holding ontx, this is fake news, the positive pr should come before long. Still way undervalued
Brewmaster
AG
any of you in VBIV?
Ranger222
AG
What are some trends in the markets people are looking at to start 2020?

Have heard a lot about energy and materials to start 2020 to play catch-up with the rest of the market....have thought about potentially adding XOM and SLB at these levels to my IRA but maybe that is foolish, not sure.

One chart I really like is Magellan Midstream....this is the monthly chart and forming a nice wedge with a bunch of Feb 65C bought over the last couple of days.

Other is healthcare...think there will be some consolidation in the gene therapy space. Still looking over individual names but the science is becoming more solid here. I'm looking at companies with different vectors (AAV viruses) that will allow the gene editing tools to get into the cells first...delivery will be huge here for treatment effectiveness.

AgShaun00
AG
BREw told me HP mentioned BE for energy and HP overall is energy is a strong play LT for 2020.

I got into BE today
oldarmy1
AG
Using the monthly charts......I love that!
gougler08
AG
BREwmaster said:

I'm holding ontx, this is fake news, the positive pr should come before long. Still way undervalued
I lowered my base a bit with this dip, we'll see if the big money knew something longer term or not
YNWA_AG
AG
My aunt is a senior finance professor for the mba program at rice and has gone to a lot of investing lectures in NYC over the past few weeks. One of her big takeaways was that oil is undervalued. Renewable energy is much further away from ever making a big impact on the energy market. For example, all the battery's produced at the new Tesla factory wouldn't be able to power the entire US for even 1 minute.
khaos288
AG
YNWA_AG said:

My aunt is a senior finance professor for the mba program at rice and has gone to a lot of investing lectures in NYC over the past few weeks. One of her big takeaways was that oil is undervalued. Renewable energy is much further away from ever making a big impact on the energy market. For example, all the battery's produced at the new Tesla factory wouldn't be able to power the entire US for even 1 minute.
I'd be much more interested in how long the wind/solar capacity of the country could power it. A small battery producing company doesn't really move the needle of my opinion when looking at renewables.

I do know that renewables are vastly hyped at the moment, but I definitely want to know how big the gap is before I went to spend cash on traditional stuff.
gig em 02
khaos288 said:

YNWA_AG said:

I'd be much more interested in how long the wind/solar capacity of the country could power it. A small battery producing company doesn't really move the needle of my opinion when looking at renewables.

I do know that renewables are vastly hyped at the moment, but I definitely want to know how big the gap is before I went to spend cash on traditional stuff.

Is that 1 minute under today's consumption or 1 minute of more efficient energy use with batteries reducing peak usage inefficiencies?
YNWA_AG
AG
She mentioned more about that, but I don't remember the specifics like the Tesla example.
YNWA_AG
AG
Today's total energy consumption.
fightintxag13
AG
Just to add to this discussion here, my brother works for a large power generation company. The original company he started with was TXU but has merged with larger companies. Coal generation is still a very large part of what they currently use, but he told me with the R & D that's going on with batteries right now, coal plants will be almost completely dead in the next 15 years because renewables will replace them. Also, he's very far from a tree hugger. He just says that's where the industry is heading.
khaos288
AG
YNWA_AG said:

She mentioned more about that, but I don't remember the specifics like the Tesla example.
Darn ok, thanks for the info regardless.
khaos288
AG
fightintxag13 said:

Just to add to this discussion here, my brother works for a large power generation company. The original company he started with was TXU but has merged with larger companies. Coal generation is still a very large part of what they currently use, but he told me with the R & D that's going on with batteries right now, coal plants will be almost completely dead in the next 15 years because renewables will replace them. Also, he's very far from a tree hugger. He just says that's where the industry is heading.
Yeah I wasn't an engineering major, but I took a class in college about the future of energy as an elective. Back then it was a 25 year timeline for renewables to start taking over traditional. Sounds like that timeline is right about on track.
khkman22
AG
oldarmy1 said:

JNPR has just sat above its 3 day resistance for two days now. If I were a betting man I would say that big money is holding it until the new year, which likely means Monday due to the cheap weekly options. If you want a high/risk reward trade then buy 100 JNPR Jan 17th $26 calls for a total investment of $1100. Leverage 10k shares with that with as close to a guarantee that if it does hit $25 it will be $26 shortly after.
A little confused on this tweet and the subsequent tweet. Are you expecting big money to sell around Monday at the latest? Wouldn't that cause a drop? What do you mean by volume crush (as it relates to both tweets)?
gig em 02
YNWA_AG said:

Today's total energy consumption.

Thanks. I know the inefficiency during peak energy use is a killer, but I don't know what those numbers actually look like.
oldarmy1
AG
If energy and related stocks are going to have a catch up then I also like CLF for a run past $10. Feb 21 $10 calls are not a bad premium last day of 2019.

Chart shows a cup with handle formed
IrishTxAggie
AG
AAPL making a late move
59 South
AG
Oilfield service stocks are something to keep an eye on (OIH). It's a sector that has been destroyed for the past few years but is showing signs of stabilizing and hopefully recovery after bankruptcies and consolidations. I avoid it simply because I'm already too exposed to it by being in the industry, but I can say that things seem to be fairly stable lately and backlogs are improving, for industry leaders anyways.

I'm also watching AMZN closely. It has lagged this year and could catch up if macro stays strong. It's been in a huge Darvis box for the past couple of years and consolidating since the huge run up that ended mid 2018. Could see some profit taking in the likes of AAPL and MSFT and others with rotation back to AMZN.

Disclosure: I work in oilfield services and am long AMZN. Ha!
ryanhnc10
AG
Pure speculation, but I think at least a few of the marijuana stocks have a solid comeback in 2020
oldarmy1
AG
Like I wrote this article. Didn't see his first one he spoke about from $22, but it was about the time I was posting to buy and hold it. Note the "accelerating" verbiage. Now where did we hear that yesterday?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4314614-5-reasons-jd-com-will-accelerate-rise
oldarmy1
AG
Volume on TRNX....what level of madness is this?!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Not unfathomable that he lurks here and straight up wrote those articles based on your posts.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Pure speculation, but I think at least a few of the marijuana stocks have a solid comeback in 2020

PYX is getting exciting these last few days. I'm net free on $12.5 May calls now, we'll see what happens
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
All this talk about energy stocks as well as the Iraqi embassy being protested convinced me to pick up some Feb $1 CHK lottos for a nickel. I hate the company but when it pops it pops big!
oldarmy1
AG
2500 Jan 3rd $320 SPY Put purchase just clicked off at 64 cents
Tumble Weed
oldarmy1 said:

Like I wrote this article. Didn't see his first one he spoke about from $22, but it was about the time I was posting to buy and hold it. Note the "accelerating" verbiage. Now where did we hear that yesterday?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4314614-5-reasons-jd-com-will-accelerate-rise
2.4 M views on this thread.

I have seen the texags effect on one stock that I trade. I think that more than a few traders read the posts looking for an inside scoop.

Happy New Year's all. May 2020 make all of our wallets fat! Roaring 20s here we come!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Lots of money coming back into the market AH. Thursday has a good setup.
khaos288
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Lots of money coming back into the market AH. Thursday has a good setup.

Good. I'm holding small calls in fb, roku, Amzn, and nflx
ToddyHill
AG
What a difference a year makes. I'm definitely more upbeat than I was one year ago.
skoal_man12
AG
Ugh. Still not sure how to start. Getting hung up on day trading, macro trading, etc.
Gunna put some more effort into learning this week while I'm off. Any recommendations on simulators?
khaos288
AG
skoal_man12 said:

Ugh. Still not sure how to start. Getting hung up on day trading, macro trading, etc.
Gunna put some more effort into learning this week while I'm off. Any recommendations on simulators?
TD ameritrade has a great papertrading option on their live platform.

Spend a month on that trading stocks, following this thread, and reading up where ever you can.

Then get a twitter and follow as many accounts as you like, and burn your money up
Cartographer
Question for the board:
Would y'all be willing to contribute to a separate trading plan/strategy thread if it were created? I've been putting together plays and strategies and testing them but I'd like to get feedback on them from anyone willing to give input.

But that could get dense and would probably clog up this thread with replies, thus taking space from good discussion about actual ideas and plays.

Thoughts? Would you want to contribute?

Happy New Year everyone!
First Page Last Page
Page 877 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.