Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,106,710 Views | 224617 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by bmoochie
Ranger222
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And.....ROKU down 20% AH from weak Q1 guidance
gougler08
AG
What caused the late tumble in the Dow today?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Ouch, rough swing for any of you guys in it.

Revenue/user up 48%
Hours streamed up 55%
Guidance down by 12 to 2 million for the quarter but guided up for the year..

Seems like an over sell--but it feels like if there's anything less than expectations you'll get a sell off in the current market
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ranger222 said:

Took profits on that ROKU trade this morning ahead of the ER.

Nice call...
Ignatius_of_Silesia
Ranger222 said:

I think it will be above 50 again within a month. They have been very conservative in their guidance thus far. I'm still way up although I bought another chunk at 50 today. I firmly believe this company has a great future. I have two roku tv's and several devices because they just make streaming so convenient. The future looks bright.
K_P
AG
What makes the product superior to Apple TV
Ignatius_of_Silesia
I don't know anything about Apple tv. I do know everything involving Apple costs 3 times as much as it's competitors. That being said I'm invested in Apple as well. They get more of the stupid money.
corndog04
AG
Presley said:

Price. I've got a 4k/HDR roku streaming stick that costs less than half the cost of an Apple TV. There is zero content or features for Apple TV that I'm interested in that I can't also get on Roku. On the contrary, Apple has slacked on getting content the other mainstream boxes are getting (such as not even getting Amazon Prime Video until late last year). The stick works well enough for me to not desire an upgrade, but even the premium Roku boxes are priced well under an Apple TV and are on par at worst.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Presley said:

The better comparison would be to the prime stick or Google Chromecast
tailgatetimer10
AG
The only issue I have with Roku (and I've owned and used prime sticks and Chromecast) is Amazon and Google have integration with their voice assistants. It's extremely handy. Not to mention my prime sticks are smooth operating vs my Roku which is jumpy.

I also wonder if smart TVs are taking any of this business. Roku mentioned their bigger growth was not in their hardware
Ragoo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

The only issue I have with Roku (and I've owned and used prime sticks and Chromecast) is Amazon and Google have integration with their voice assistants. It's extremely handy. Not to mention my prime sticks are smooth operating vs my Roku which is jumpy.

I also wonder if smart TVs are taking any of this business. Roku mentioned their bigger growth was not in their hardware
roku and chromecast are not comparable, you can stop there. Chromecast is a reimaging dongle, you are casting from a device onto your TV via their dongle. Roku is very similar to apple TV or firestick in that is has all of the applications built in. Roku is building their dongle platform into smart TVs.
K_P
AG
are they partnered with the content providers? vudu was one i remember. it seems like the real money is in content
tailgatetimer10
AG
I agree they function completely differently, however they are comparable as they both accomplish an end goal of content on your TV. When I was originally researching buying my first stick years ago, I read plenty of articles comparing the 3.

I'm trying to learn more about the roku business, that's all.

We can take it elsewhere though sense this is a general stock thread which has been helpful for me to learn.
Ragoo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I agree they function completely differently, however they are comparable as they both accomplish an end goal of content on your TV. When I was originally researching buying my first stick years ago, I read plenty of articles comparing the 3.

I'm trying to learn more about the roku business, that's all.

We can take it elsewhere though sense this is a general stock thread which has been helpful for me to learn.
With Roku, Fire, and apple tv the content is independent to the device. With Chromecast you must have a secondary piece of hardware like an iphone or computer, etc to cast the content to the TV. I believe the others have a more "OnDemand" programming approach. ROKU may even have some DVR type capabilities since that is their CEOs background.
Ranger222
AG
Ignatius_of_Silesia said:

Ranger222 said:

I think it will be above 50 again within a month. They have been very conservative in their guidance thus far. I'm still way up although I bought another chunk at 50 today. I firmly believe this company has a great future. I have two roku tv's and several devices because they just make streaming so convenient. The future looks bright.

Not sure about a month, but we'll get there again. I think the stock will see 30's before 50. That will be a great position to add or start. Will be back then.
pfo
AG
My one comment on ROKU is there are lots of other device/gizmo makers so competition is stiff and may get stiffer. The actual owners and developers of content, like Netflix, seem like the better bet to me.

Diggity
AG
well Netflix having 30X's the market cap would agree with you.

The issue with content providers is that content is pretty damn expensive to produce and there's a ton of new competition. It's also very hit and miss. For every Stranger Things, there's a lot that never move the needle.

It's also expensive to license content unless you want non-stop reruns of Perfect Strangers.
Bonfire1996
AG
I read an article about roku that would make anyone steer clear of the stock for at least the next six months.

The biggest takeaway was the number of insider shares that are able to be sold after a 6 month restriction ends. It is a shocking number of shares all with ridiculously low cost basis. There is going to be enormous selling pressure on top of a stock with a stupid PE multiple.

For me to get in, I have to know what Anthony Wood's next idea is.
oldarmy1
AG
Headed back to the U.S. Today. Markets behaved right in line with analytic and technical marks. Mid-channel resistance gave us a week of consolidation holding above lower support levels. Traders renterered trades on red days and now wait to see if we push through back towards upper band range as we discussed.

Energy is the best beaten down bottom turnaround opportunity. CHK made a big jump yesterday to lead the way. All boats rose with the low oil reserve tide, I.e. SN, SWN, etc
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo said:

Ranger222 said:

Currently in a small amount of 4/20 50c for ROKU. Expecting it will move past the 50 MA prior to earnings on the 21st and take profits before earnings.

I like them longterm too -- I suspect they will eventually be bought out at some point
sold ROKU puts this morning. $42 strike expires next Friday for $3.70 per each. If it takes a dip below $42 I am in Roku at $38.30.
bought to close my open contracts at $0.35 per each share. Walked away with $3.35/share. Not a huge win but a win none-the-less..
Bonfire1996
AG
Nice run at the end. Closed right at the top end of the mid channel. Monday will be interesting. Either break back above or trend down to continue sideways motion.
what say you
OA, so are you saying this is a good time to buy companies like SN?
oldarmy1
AG
what say you said:

Yes, although SN specifically reports earnings Monday so be ready for some volitilaty. I would buy on any weakness and have zero hesitancy in averaging down if we get any further drop.

CHK under $3 would be an easy decision. I personally acquired a large position and took some off the table premarket when up 21 more cents. But I bought it back when we lost that entire 21 cent move.
Joseph Parrish
AG
oldarmy1 said:

what say you said:

Yes, although SN specifically reports earnings Monday so be ready for some volitilaty. I would buy on any weakness and have zero hesitancy in averaging down if we get any further drop.

CHK under $3 would be an easy decision. I personally acquired a large position and took some off the table premarket when up 21 more cents. But I bought it back when we lost that entire 21 cent move.
I def plan on buying if it drops.
oldarmy1
AG
When I ask for people to post stocks with a heavy volume spike for everyone to see and decide about entering for a trade or the long haul? CHK just had one. I think it will come back under $3 and maybe as low as into the $2.75 mark but do not be fooled. You want a stock that just screamed "buy me" and you will end up making a good ROI? CHK just rang the dinner bell.

oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Here's where we are, in the simplest terms possible. We reached the mid-channel (orange) between the upper resistance (red) and bottom support (green). As I posted I would do on the day trading thread yesterday, I lightened my trades into the close today because we reached the mid-channel mark on the button.

Weekend update:
How about that mid-line resistance? For those who don't believe/watch/understand the 50% retracement rule - study it and use it on macro, day trading, trading....whatever because its real and backed by historical proof. Markets bounced off the support and made it to the mid-channel resistance almost to the decimal point. We then bounced off and traded around and below it the full week before peaking above the mid-channel mark on Friday's late rally.

Therefore we look for confirmation move above the mid-channel early next week and, should we get that, the mark I would pay attention to is the initial gap down (circled) as the resistance point. Markets LOVE to fill gaps - EVEN IF THE DIRECTION FILLED ULTIMATELY FAILS. They love to fill the gaps. Why? I don't know - no one knows, other than the common sense explanation that trend will move to resistance levels.

But who cares why? TRADE IT - USE IT. Just like Major Support, Upper Resistance and Mid-Channel. USE those and make a fortune while all those "experts" are making their mundane analysis.

So we have an easily identifiable Cup and handle formed (pictured). I drew a short green line showing the bounce off of the mid-channel selling on its first bounce off day and then when we came down to that level a 2nd time mid-week note that we held that mark with slightly increased trade volume. That told us there was committment to hold that mark and the bears quickly abated their attempt making for an easy move back to, and now, above the mid-channel mark.

Hope this continues to provide clarity.

oldarmy1
AG
Futures bright green triple digits on the DOW and double digits on S&P. Thanks for playing "You can't time the markets but you can time, and manage, your trades".

Upper channel resistance test here we come.
gougler08
AG
I think I've learned more about the stock markets from this thread over the past 2 weeks than I ever have watching at CNBC, etc
tailgatetimer10
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Futures bright green triple digits on the DOW and double digits on S&P. Thanks for playing "You can't time the markets but you can time, and manage, your trades".

When everything is trading with the market, should a disciplined trader take some profits at the upper resistance, or does it depend on how it trades approaching the high.
oldarmy1
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

oldarmy1 said:

When everything is trading with the market, should a disciplined trader take some profits at the upper resistance, or does it depend on how it trades approaching the high.
Anywhere between now and as we approach resistance mark. Pigs get fed - Hogs get slaughtered.

And we don't have a firm resistance mark at this point, but we will once we see where it tops out (or breaks it eliminating the resistance as nothing but short term consolidation).

Only caution mark for traders is if we were to reverse and lose that mid-channel mark, because it generally would be now considered short term support.
HoustonAg2014
AG
I went all in on Apple and Amazon a couple weeks ago on the drop. Wish I was older and had more money but if there was ever an opportunity to buy a dip and go bargain shopping, that was it...
HoustonAg2014
AG
And that is a thanks to you btw oldarmy1!

I asked you about support and resistance on the day trading thread on 2/13. Amazon was at $1,345 currently $1,518. Apple was at $157 now at $177.
oldarmy1
AG
Sorry - was doing some trades but wanted to further clarify my shorter post on when to exit trades.

The reason I posted a general statement on when to sell is because it depends on a wide variety of factors. What was the target when entered? Where is the resistance for that particular stock or market? Do you see further move above resistance? Tons of factors to consider.

EXAMPLE: One I had posted that had broken out of a Darvis Box (sideways range bound period) just as the market sell off hit is SWKS. I posted entering that on the pull back was a good trade because it likely would resume its breakout. It has. So buying on the pullback between $99 and $101 (as market posts were being made about finding support) was an easy decision.

Stocks/Markets breaking out of a technical Darvis Box tend to run up. So I take a dual strategy approach instead of selling 100% of the shares here at $109+ I sold 5k shares (50% of my holdings) and am selling $110 covered calls at $3 into late March. The straight sale nets me $7.27/share from entry). The covered calls net me $112 per share if the stock moves above that by expiration OR it lowers my holding cost per share by $3 if we go sideways or lower.

As for the chart. See the left arrow signal of the breakout? See that it was racing higher but reversed on the huge selloff in the markets. Then see the arrow on the right side showing disciplined entry based on broader market posts about reversal. And now the obvious recovery and continuation of the breakout has sent it trending well above the initial breakout signal. These are the kind of trades that I target above all others.

62strat
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I went all in on Apple and Amazon a couple weeks ago on the drop. Wish I was older and had more money but if there was ever an opportunity to buy a dip and go bargain shopping, that was it...
When I bought amzn, it was at an all time high. (exactly 1 year ago today)

It's gone up 80% since then.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.