Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,031,064 Views | 224269 Replies | Last: 26 sec ago by JobSecurity
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man. Now we just need to launch some missiles at Houthi or Iranian targets to really get some volatility going..
george1992
leoj said:

Man. Now we just need to launch some missiles at Houthi or Iranian targets to really get some volatility going..
Wouldn't hurt to have a stray missile hit that facility again either. I'd do a lot better with $80 barrels of oil than the little money I could make with some volatility of the stock market.
ProgN
docaggie
AG
That twitter account has put out a few dozen similar M&A announcements, all of which haven't been announced or even hinted at.
It's about as credible as tu claiming to be DBU
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ProgN
I'm not in OSTK. I just posted it without comment because several posters are.
docaggie
AG
Prognightmare said:

I'm not in OSTK. I just posted it without comment because several posters are.
Yeah, I'm just amazed that they can post like that without getting smacked down.

Edit: Turns out the link in every one of their posts today lead to the exact same article pumping a stock I've never heard of.
Class of 1998;
Husband of an Aggie, Class of 1999;
Father to future Class of 2029 and 2031
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
so apparently these "drone strikes" on the saudi refinery were actually 9 iran-supplied missiles taking out 50% of Saudi's processing capacity for the near future? That makes this bigger than just an oil price spike and I really don't know what I'm doing and have several positions amounting to a lot of money (for me) that may benefit from this, so I'm begging advice from anyone who cares to give it on how I should play this event? Here are my positions and thoughts:

~$3500 in USOU as of yesterday. There's gonna be a panic and spike and whatever, but if the Saudi oil doesn't come back online pretty quick we're gonna see big EIA draws for multiple weeks, which makes me think this could really go through the roof over a several week period. I may sell half monday and hold the rest to see what it's gonna do. I assume it's gonna get higher than my $24 sell order I placed when I opened the position so I need to cancel that, any idea how to predict what the price on an ETF like this is going to be based on commodity price? Am I better off watching the action in the first few hours Mon to pick an exit?

$8kish in BA. Bought after the initial 737 max crashes, averaged down once or twice at subsequent dips, finally up a couple percent as of last week. Plan was always to sell once it got to pre-max prices but the dividends are nice. If things get real tense in the middle east all the defense stocks are gonna go crazy right? Again this makes me feel like I'll be better off not selling right away if we get a spike.

1500 shares SWN, they aren't reallly much of an oil stock but will probably get a bump from an oil spike. Sell the excitement or stick with my original plan to hold until winter and better gas prices?

couple grand in tvix, I usually buy whenever it seems low and scalp 15% or so whenever stuff goes crazy. Between this and the fed cutting rates (or not) next week, are we going to see a serious volatility event or are things just going to go crazy for a couple hours Monday?

TIA
Brewmaster
AG
Pick up a few shares Monday morning, buy me a beer later. All shares loaned out/ shorted are closing out positions or buying in Monday. Pps is about to skyrocket.
ProgN

Quote:

Abqaiq, in the kingdom's eastern province, is the world's largest oil processing facility and crude oil stabilization plant with a processing capacity of more than 7 million barrels per day (bpd). Khurais is the second largest oil field in the country with a capacity to pump around 1.5 million bpd.
Saturday's attack is the biggest on Saudi oil infrastructure since Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

"Oil prices will surely spike on the news of the attacks when markets open on Sunday," Joseph McMonigle, an energy analyst at Hedgeye Research and former chief of staff at the U.S. Department of Energy, wrote in a client note. "In our view, there is almost no geopolitical risk priced into oil markets that are focused solely on the macro and trade narratives."

If the Saudis maintain closure of half its production, it would impact nearly 5 million barrels of crude production a day, roughly 5% of the world's daily oil production. In August, Saudi Arabia produced 9.85 million bpd, according to the latest figures from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Saudi Aramco President and CEO Amin Nasser said no one was hurt in the attacks and emergency crews have contained the fires and brought the situation under control.
What Riyadh has called a terrorist attack on its state oil giant, Saudi Aramco, is also likely to unsettle future shareholders and market participants ahead of the company's highly anticipated initial public offering (IPO).

"Very hard to overstate the seriousness of the attacks, especially on Abqaiq. It is the nerve center of the country's energy infrastructure," Helima Croft, global head of commodity strategy at RBC Capital Markets, told CNBC on Saturday. "Even if exports resume in the next 24 to 48 hours, the image of invulnerability has been erased."
george1992
There are some oil ETFs to try to play the potential short term spike in oil prices. I will be looking at USO, UWT and OILU for potential overreactions that can produce some short term profits.

There are also some inverse oil ETFs that will trade opposite the price of oil. These are DWT, SCO and OILD.

You can get burned very easily trying to make money off volatility but I will be watching closely once premarket trading begins. Going to be a fun one.
La Bamba
AG
BREwmaster said:

Pick up a few shares Monday morning, buy me a beer later. All shares loaned out/ shorted are closing out positions or buying in Monday. Pps is about to skyrocket.
Alright Brew, I'm very close on jumping in on the OSTK train Monday morning. Let me make sure I understand the bull thesis here with help from yourself and some of the others on here after doing some weekend research.

The Background: On July 30th the company announces a dividend to be awarded to OSTK shareholders in the form of Digital Series A-1 shares at a ratio of 1:10 (1 digital share for every 10 shares of common OSTK stock). The record date is September 23rd, 2019. On August 8th they announced their Q2 results and showed an improvement in profitability, increasing the stock price on the August 9th trading day. It quickly sold off thereafter until this past week of September 9th when the stock started flying.

Now, if this dividend is treated as a normal cash dividend, any shorts holding through the record date are on the hook to pay the dividend to the brokerages. My understanding is that there was uncertainty as to how the SEC would treat a "digital dividend" as opposed to a normal dividend. My questions below:

1). Have we heard anything official from the SEC, Nasdaq, OSTK with regards to the mechanics of shorts holding thru record date of a digital dividend? Will they have to pay the brokerages if positions are not closed?
2). What is the short float/interest of OSTK as we speak? Has retail and/or the institutions not already covered given the huge climb this week? Did the float increase towards the end of the week expecting a pullback?
3). Why is there a thought that brokerages will force shorts to call in? There has been talk that they won't want to administer the digital dividend while also dealing with a large short float out there. But why is this and is this a credible thesis?

Apologies for the questions but this case is a bit unique. It is also far past my current understanding of the market and market forces so good learning opportunity plus a chance to make some cash.
Brewmaster
AG
Forgive me, typing on the phone, but I'll hopefully hit them all...

SEC has signed off on the digital dividend, just like a cash or property div. Don't believe Twitter trolls, there are a few, but also a growing vocal group that speak the facts.
@DXNCRA is a great follow, with several great posts on how it's going down...
I believe the short float has been decreasing, but still a surprising number in, don't have the numbers in front of me. They must close positions or buy stock before the 23rd and many brokers are forcing it sooner. Schwab already has, as have a couple others. Naked shorts are believed to be a high number as well, just more fuel for the fire as it squeezes.
Options $ limit (max if you will) has increased for this week, calls are popular.
I think the big $ and funds shorting it will buy in and place calls to max profit.
Vanguard and others have increased their holdings in it recently, VG by 30%, another fund by close to 300%.
JPMorgan is still holding 10% (of Total shares!)
PayPal traffic for OSTK is thru the roof, October earnings call is going to surprise a lot of people...related, they are not fire-saling the retail now. @pfouge is my source on the web analytics there, ecommerce guru...

I think in time we'll see markets go digital/ blockchain. Its the future, 100% accountability on shares and ostk and tzero hold the patents. Shorts are healthy in the market, but not to the point of naked shorting and shorting a company into the ground with shares that don't exist.

I'm @Rudder32 on Twitter if you want to see my likes, retweets on OSTK. Do your DD on it. I'm not a daytrader, play landscape architect during the day and check stocks in my breaks. If you do go in, set tight stops and let er rip!

ProgN
ProgN
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Thanks for the updates prog...does a 15% jump in oil really mean a 45% jump in a 3x leveraged etf like usou?
ProgN
Not completely sure but you'll be happy if you're on the right side of that trade.
ProgN
Ragoo
AG
Gave you a follow.
CheladaAg
AG
Futures are dropping...sentiment from last week was a leg up but I don't think it's happening. Expect a big red day tomorrow except for energy stocks of course.
ProgN
boyz05 said:

Futures are dropping...sentiment from last week was a leg up but I don't think it's happening. Expect a big red day tomorrow except for energy stocks of course.
I was expecting a down week after the fed drops rate 25 basis points anyway. However, if things do get choppy this incident could give the fed cover to cut 50.
spud1910
AG
Followed as well.
gougler08
AG
boyz05 said:

Have come back quite a bit since last night to only down 10 now
IrishTxAggie
AG
Some of our darlings are up huge this morning. CHK, WLL, OXY, etc.. All O&G stocks are going to run today!
La Bamba
AG
OSTK getting hammered pre market.
mrad85
AG
La Bamba said:

I consider that a buying opportunity!
AgShaun00
AG
mrad85 said:

La Bamba said:

shorts trying to manipulate last minute?
Rice and Fries
$SDRL & $CHK, up in the green baby
La Bamba
AG
AgShaun00 said:

mrad85 said:

La Bamba said:

shorts trying to manipulate last minute?
And it quickly turned green
ProgN
Quote:

Podcast: Robinhood Might Have New Competition -- Barrons.com
5:00 am ET September 16, 2019 (Dow Jones) Print
Three numbers to start your day:

Zero is How Much Stock Trades Could cost

-- on Square's Cash app. Square Inc (SQ) is a payments company, widely known for its sleek, white swipe terminals.

Now, its Cash app offers services like check depositing, peer-to-peer transfers and bank transfers -- and reportedly, the company is looking into adding a stock trading service. Bloomberg reports that the company is already testing the feature with employees and has created a video for internal use.

. Bloomberg reports that the company is already testing the feature with employees and has created a video for internal use.Such a trading app, would put the company in direct competition with the startup Robinhood and other trading apps.
For you SQ investors and Robinhood traders.
Aggie_2463
AG
RIG - Go baby go
ProgN
Aggie_2463 said:

RIG - Go baby go
You better watch for when Saudi says they'll be back online for full production. I'm looking at adding to my RIG puts.
Aggie_2463
AG
Prognightmare said:

Aggie_2463 said:

RIG - Go baby go
You better watch for when Saudi says they'll be back online for full production. I'm looking at adding to my RIG puts.
I'm in long term just trying to get back to even, I'm a bag holder at $7.
ProgN
aggiedaniel06
AG
You should get there this week!
ProgN
WLL
First Page Last Page
Page 739 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.