Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,120,813 Views | 224620 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by ProgN
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$150-200 gets ya 10 PBI call options representing 1000 underlying shares strike price $16
oldarmy1
AG
I just did a test purchase at 13 cents filled to get a read on it for anyone interested. All of mine are at 10 cents, so not a significant difference.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

$150-200 gets ya 10 PBI call options representing 1000 underlying shares strike price $16
Thats the DECEMBER $16 strikes...apologies
DDSO
AG
Thanks for all you do oldarmy. I am new to all of this but really enjoy following the thread.
oldarmy1
AG
Parrish and others in oil sector stocks - here is a great read with graph on the prospects for your stocks.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4022488-trump-victory-good-oil-investments-futures-say
pfo
AG
oldarmy1 and others please give me some long term hold stock ideas. I had built a 27% cash position and would like to put some of it to work.

Here are some stocks I was thinking about too I would like your comments on:

BMY Bristol Myers
BBT Bank
HHC Howard Hughes Corp
PYPL PayPal

The infrastructure stocks like Vulcan (VMC) seem too expensive to me now and the defense contractors look expensive too. I missed the boat on those except XYL Xylem.

A stock I continue to recommend is LVS Las Vegas Sands on any pullback

oldarmy1
AG
I speculated on Obamacare being shelved/augmented with private healthcare as a signal to take positions across a bunch of crushed Medical Therapeutics stocks and those have jumped significantly, so I've already taken some off the table but will buy dips, as they come. Top 5 are EDGE, FATE, GILD, EBS, PTC

As posted I like the buy to hold PBI based on a complete change in fundamentals for office equipment, support and services. It also has a nice gap down that once it breaks upward would magnet in for the initial climb. I love getting "covered up" from entry price with an identified gap. I have loaded a lot of shares as posted and even added a few hundred calls out to December that would further speed the strategy of "planting" it as a net free holding.

Financial stocks are going to be eventual big winners, especially if Dodd Frank gets adjusted.

This OPEC announcement that they see oil price guidance being cut $20 hit the oil sector but has anyone ever trusted OPEC? I think energy will actually outperform, due to their still relatively low PE valuations. I've been having fun with Joseph's SN stock. Everyone knows the KMI posted from $16. Going into the traditionally lower oil period the covered call strategy should continue on pure oil stocks. Entry opportunities should be available sometime through the next 2 months.

I still like TWTR. It was a big part of a winning election strategy and businesses are scrambling to find the secret sauce for monetizing it fully. They'll get there but it most likely gets bought out before realizing its full potential. Either way - you win.

NVDA (Disclaimer - a net free holding) is going to continue to grow. They are about to do a victory lap over AMD and dominate market share. Cyber Security technology should be a holding in portfolios. FEYE appears to be waking up with some volume signals kicking in.
3rd and 2
AG
Damn I sold all my NVDA the morning after earnings.
SlackerAg
AG
LVS & NVDA are still in my system's buy list. Among its chip companies, Cirrus Logic (CRUS) is the cheapest.
oldarmy1
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

It traded over 50M shares Friday, so unless it pushes above $90 for a "magnet" pull to 100 Monday move should meet resistance for a pullback.
oldarmy1
AG
SlackerAg said:

LVS & NVDA are still in my system's buy list. Among its chip companies, Cirrus Logic (CRUS) is the cheapest.
CRUS chart is heavenly for a continued trend higher, as is LVS. LVS hit April 11th/May24th resistance. That's why it rebuffed with a down day Friday. As long as that doesn't turn into a massive H&S pattern by breaking through resistance the trend would be upward for a good ride.
pfo
AG
Many thanks for y'all's thoughtful suggestions. Some very good ideas and a nice mix. I will add these to my watch list. I also agree on cyber security and my long time holding there is Checkpoint.
oldarmy1
AG
TastyTrade tells you why this market has been the most difficult to sort out than ever. Validates the sectors we're focusing on as well.

oldarmy1
AG
DOW 18900...The big round 19k magnet rule is in play.
oldarmy1
AG
Was going to post on the thread discussion on GPRO but can't locate it. It looks to have found major support and with the holidays coming will get a bump higher. I'd prefer options over tying up capital on a stock like that.

Fish around the Dec. 30 $12.50 strikes that have a wide spread .05 x .40, to see you can get a fill at .15 or .20. Leveraging 1000 shares for $150 - $200 make a ton more sense than tying up over $10k for shares trading on potential major support. If it loses this support you're out a whopping $200.
3rd and 2
AG
Should I get out of AMZN or stay in? It's free falling now it seems.
oldarmy1
AG

Should I get out of AMZN or stay in? It's free falling now it seems.
AMZN has a volume spike peg Nov 10th and AMZN is holding above that mark meaning a probably bounce is coming. AMZN isn't going to suddenly lose its market share so no way I'd dump it if you held through this pullback.

Now realize that at some point the markets will take a breather and if AMZN hasn't bounced by then you can expect a flat chart with volume coming in any time it presses the Nov 10th low. It really ran ahead of the markets and is consolidating.

Another thing people can do is look at what the markets would have pushed up to had they mirrored the AMZN rally because that would be a good leading indicator for the markets eventual pullback/consolidation.
pfo
AG
Deluth Trading (DLTH) is on an outrageous roll. Chartists and others who like stocks going straight up might want to take a look They use funny ads to sell lumberjack shirts and Buck Naked Underware to rednecks like me.

pfo
AG
Are any of our technical guys by their computer. I'm on mobile but was wondering if this move by Intrexon (XON) constituted a breakout. They are the biotech genetically modified organism company and own the self limiting mosquitoes that kill Zika and Dengy infected mosquitoes.
Dan Scott
AG
Dollar and interest rates in rally board. I can see low number of mortgage applications spooking the market.
FTAC2011
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Was going to post on the thread discussion on GPRO but can't locate it. It looks to have found major support and with the holidays coming will get a bump higher. I'd prefer options over tying up capital on a stock like that.

Fish around the Dec. 30 $12.50 strikes that have a wide spread .05 x .40, to see you can get a fill at .15 or .20. Leveraging 1000 shares for $150 - $200 make a ton more sense than tying up over $10k for shares trading on potential major support. If it loses this support you're out a whopping $200.

Hey old army, rookie here. Thanks for all the information you are willing to share. Would you mind dumbing this down for an unseasoned option trader?

In this scenario.. From what I understand you are buying the options to trade that stock on or before 12/30 at $12.50? And you are paying anywhere between .05-.40 per share for that option? So for 10 options or 1000 shares you would pay $50-$400.

Then you hope that GPRO goes above that 12.50 before or on 12/30 so you can execute your options at that 12.50 strike price?

If it does then what happens? You buy all those shares @12.50 (plus original option investment) then turn around and sell immediately for profit?

Thanks in advance for explaining this
Ragoo
AG
FTAC2011 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Hey old army, rookie here. Thanks for all the information you are willing to share. Would you mind dumbing this down for an unseasoned option trader?

In this scenario.. From what I understand you are buying the options to trade that stock on or before 12/30 at $12.50? And you are paying anywhere between .05-.40 per share for that option? So for 10 options or 1000 shares you would pay $50-$400.

Then you hope that GPRO goes above that 12.50 before or on 12/30 so you can execute your options at that 12.50 strike price?

If it does then what happens? You buy all those shares @12.50 (plus original option investment) then turn around and sell immediately for profit?

What he is doing is buying the option to purchase 1000 shares of gpro at a strike price of $12.50 at an expiration date of 12/30. if the stock is above $12.50 he could buy then. but what he is really doing is going to sell those options to someone else if the price gets up near $12.50. Making double, triple or quadruple his initial option buy in.
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

FTAC2011 said:

oldarmy1 said:

What he is doing is buying the option to purchase 1000 shares of gpro at a strike price of $12.50 at an expiration date of 12/30. if the stock is above $12.50 he could buy then. but what he is really doing is going to sell those options to someone else if the price gets up near $12.50. Making double, triple or quadruple his initial option buy in.
This. An option is called an option because it gives you lots of options.

Many people simply trade options. That means lets say you buy it at $.10 or $10/100 shares. for that $12.50 December strike. There is a time decay built in to options so naturally the farther away the expiration the more value/speculation you have in pricing it. That also means the sooner a move upwards the higher that option price will rise. The closer we get to expiration the more significant the move required in the stock becomes. That's why I always sell up to half the options I buy on any initial "pop" of the shares. A stock can stair step slowly up yet stay under $12.50 and time decay sucks the value out of the option price.

So I need (am looking for) a coming bounce of the shares when taking an option position.
FTAC2011
AG
Thanks ragoo and old army.
Ragoo
AG
A strategy that olarmy mentions often is selling calls against shares you already own. For instance, say you have shares in a company you like, have faith in and really no interest in selling. You can sell out of the money covered calls 1-2-3 months out and pocket the premium. The only issue is you have to find the price where it is worth it to you. Where you would feel comfortable selling if for some reason the price spikes and you get called out.

This strategy is also bearish in nature in that it lowers your cost basis and gives you some "cushion" to the down side if the price were to drop.
oldarmy1
AG
Yeah, Parrish is on his 3rd round of covered calls against SN. I imagine he can weigh in on the strategy. Being the "House" is fun!
redsox34
AG
would some cheap .11 puts 18 days out with a strike of $18 be a good hedge on BAC with their ~20% increase since november? I would expect it to begin reverting back to it's mean within the 18 day window. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
oldarmy1
AG
redsox34 said:

would some cheap .11 puts 18 days out with a strike of $18 be a good hedge on BAC with their ~20% increase since november? I would expect it to begin reverting back to it's mean within the 18 day window. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I like a dime on stocks around $20 if you are up over $2. With their report you should be able to maybe jump up closer to $19 for the same dime if the stock opens up like its trading right now. Don't get caught watching it though. If this is your strategy get your bid in and get the Put in place immediately.
Joseph Parrish
AG
So I basically got tired of seeing my gains from the stock go away. I choose mainly oil and gas stocks because I know that industry. That's what I work in. I bought more oil stocks this year when we hit $27/bbl than all of my 8 years prior. I picked some stocks I liked, but the one I picked mainly was SN. I'm very good friends with the COO there. I used to work with the guy, and he's the smartest guy I've ever worked with. I also knew that they had hedged their production, so they'd have a steady revenue stream for the year. I'm long on oil and I don't want to lose the shares, but it was also frustrating to see gains disappear. It's pretty easy to identify where you've been peaking. For a while $9.00 was close to the resistance top, then it was $8.00, most recently it was $7.00. Getting the premiums from the shares has allowed me to be able to buy more shares to do more covered calls. So I sell covered calls on half of my shares while I leave the other half alone in case the stock takes off.

Only playing with half of my shares also gives me the ability to sell another covered call if it shoots up to a new resistance level after I have another covered call in play. That hasn't happened to me yet, but it's still an option.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1
AG
Several have asked about PBI on messages. I am posting a stock at the very onset of my accumulation of a large long position. Most postings have been about break out stocks and trading shorter term.

I'm giving you a stock that is a brand new holding that I see as benefiting from the election results next year. Should markets continue pushing higher short term then I do expect it to fill that last gap back up to $17.50 area. Any flash below the trend line would present a further buy by me just as the orange circles show the quick correction back into trend, as well as a short term trend wave reversal. I want enough shares so that I can apply a $17 strike covered call strategy beginning above $17.25 (cause gap fills are not always an exact science), thus providing excellent leverage on the overall trade.

As always my goal will be to "plant" PBI as another long position "net free", meaning I take my initial capital out of the stock, by selling no more than 50% of shares. That % is usually able to be reduced due to covered call and call option strategies. As posted, beyond accumulating shares I also have placed a call option position of $16 strike on Dec. 16th expiration for a dime. Those reached $.30 cents on the recent move higher and I held off selling. I am looking for that initial gap move by Dec. 16th and those options would be easily $1.00-$1.50, depending on how much of a move towards filing the gap occurs.

I also note that the only gap not filled on the charted trend line was the May 3rd gap down open. Every other gap on this chart was filled. While all of the other stocks are great and the meat of trading we can follow this stock as a study from inception.

Hope this helps - and this is not an endorsement or advice for buying PBI.

oldarmy1
AG

Don't look at it. I've been on that boat before too and felt like drowning myself.
SlackerAg
AG
Just bought ELLI with strong support at $86.41 (with fundamentals).
Expect quick gap up to $99.00 for potential 14% upside.

PeekingDuck
AG
Would someone mind explaining the gap between RDS-A and RDS-B shares. I realize the dividends are taxed in a different place, and one can only deduct a certain percentage off taxes for the foreign credit, but is this gap created due to institutional investors being more able to trade RDS-B due to the 0% london dividend tax vs. the 15% hague tax?

Beyond that, they are equivalent shares, from what I understand. Voting rights, maybe?
oldarmy1
AG
Nice find Slacker. I'm gonna trade options on a positive post 30 minute DOW open. Thanks!
First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.