Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,516,586 Views | 223266 Replies | Last: 54 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Ernest Tucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edited, apologies for the frustration post on free advice.
oldarmy1
AG
Comanche_Ag
AG
AMZN wants no part of the rally today. It will be interesting to see if it remains a predictor or loses that trend.
redsox34
AG
Any thoughts on CSU? Seems to be forming a high volume bottom.

Wrong emoticon
Ernest Tucker
AG
redsox34
AG
brd79 said:

Let's not start this again, please.
Ernest Tucker
AG
redsox34 said:

brd79 said:

Let's not start this again, please.

You're right, self edited
bmks270
AG
So Oldarmy, you don't look at fundamentals at all anymore? Like Peter Lynch approach on earnings etc?
oldarmy1
AG
bmks270 said:

So Oldarmy, you don't look at fundamentals at all anymore? Like Peter Lynch approach on earnings etc?
Argh.....Political period is over and unwinding so most certainly fundamentals come into focus.
oldarmy1
AG
Not going to direct this to any one poster but a CAUTION was placed on the board at DOW 15500 on a day that ended at 14479.

401k's exiting there who saw the bull signal post yesterday and decided to re-enter a portion of their 401k at close would have re-entered 89 points higher than they exited. EIGHY NINE points in a period of high uncertainty where I openly said the reason for caution is I don't know which way it breaks.

Today it's 200 points from exit and if we hold above former resistance highs into tomorrows first hour then that resistance actually becomes support. So we're talking about less than 100 to a couple of 100 points of safety during uncertainty. Uncertainty, by its definition, means I don't know.

We're not looking for praise around here; we're looking at capital preservation and monetization strategies.
oldarmy1
AG
DOW & S&P have remained under all time highs and pulled back from highs. S&P right at the Sept. 8th Caution post.

BMKS, fundamentals are still subjected to euphoric political unwinding. These markets could easily reverse because we haven't hit any new highs on either market.

How do I post this reality of factual data without being targeted?
Ernest Tucker
AG
oldarmy1 said:

DOW & S&P have remained under all time highs and pulled back from highs. S&P right at the Sept. 8th Caution post.

BMKS, fundamentals are still subjected to euphoric political unwinding. These markets could easily reverse because we haven't hit any new highs on either market.

How do I post this reality of factual data without being targeted?

no more targeting , y'all have a good thing going here, won't derail it
pfo
AG
It seems odd to me almost all the Silicon Valley stocks are getting crushed. I know they are mostly huge liberals but Amazon wouldn't sell less stuff if Trump revives the America's economy. Qualcomm wouldn't get less royalties on their smartphone chips. I see where Tesla/Solar City won't get subsidies and unleashing American energy will keep oil and nat gas cheap making solar even less economic but people wouldn't use Google or Facebook less....would they?

Any thoughts?
3rd and 2
AG
pfo said:

It seems odd to me almost all the Silicon Valley stocks are getting crushed. I know they are mostly huge liberals but Amazon wouldn't sell less stuff if Trump revives the America's economy. Qualcomm wouldn't get less royalties on their smartphone chips. I see where Tesla/Solar City won't get subsidies and unleashing American energy will keep oil and nat gas cheap making solar even less economic but people wouldn't use Google or Facebook less....would they?

Any thoughts?
The liberals are selling all their FANG stocks and running to their safe spaces. I am heavily invested in Amazon and NVidia and am getting killed. If I had cash, I'd double down on Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Google stocks as they're super cheap. Trump isn't going to shut down Netflix no matter what the panicking liberals say.
SlackerAg
AG
^ Probably the tech sector is overreacting to the impact of chip exports and/or H1-B visas for foreign engineering talent to fuel their growth.
Bonfire1996
AG
SlackerAg said:

^ Probably the tech sector is overreacting to the impact of chip exports and/or H1-B visas for foreign engineering talent to fuel their growth.
This. They have been cutting their professional personnel costs in half with the H1B1 Visa programs.
oldarmy1
AG
Here's where we are. Note the S&P "flashed" above the resistance but has since come back under. DOW is in new high territory (not charted) and will need to hold above that through first hour trading tomorrow:

Burdizzo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Spaceship said:

How do big bank stocks typically react to rising interest rates? Do they gain based on the anticipated higher revenue, or do they retract fearing reduced public lending as rates climb? Thanks.
UP

I have been getting alerts of XLF hitting new 52-week high
bmks270
AG
Bonfire 1996 said:

SlackerAg said:

This. They have been cutting their professional personnel costs in half with the H1B1 Visa programs.

And it's wrong and they should be getting killed. They lie about it, oh we need STEM not enough, mean while they lay off Americans and there are tons of qualified American STEM workers out there to do it. I wouldn't be as angry about it if they didn't lie about it. Just say they need lower cost labor.
jh0400
AG
bmks270 said:

Bonfire 1996 said:

SlackerAg said:

And it's wrong and they should be getting killed. They lie about it, oh we need STEM not enough, mean while they lay off Americans and there are tons of qualified American STEM workers out there to do it. I wouldn't be as angry about it if they didn't lie about it. Just say they need lower cost labor.

There are plenty of Americans that want to code. There are very few that want to field support requests, and that is our problem when it comes to hiring. We've got no problem hiring coders, but there aren't enough Americans interested in the work for us to be able to not outsource some of our support functions.
SlackerAg
AG
^ Agreed. I'm in tech & it's definitely a cost-cutting measure. Another problem is that companies treat coding as a "lower priority" than hardware -- this will backfire as vulnerabilities become a problem when security is outsourced.
oldarmy1
AG
Burdizzo said:

oldarmy1 said:

Spaceship said:

How do big bank stocks typically react to rising interest rates? Do they gain based on the anticipated higher revenue, or do they retract fearing reduced public lending as rates climb? Thanks.
UP

BAC has several Call Option advisories out there just now.
cgh1999
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Burdizzo said:

oldarmy1 said:

Spaceship said:

UP

I'm holding five December $12 strike call. My cost basis is just under four dollars each. What are your thoughts? I'm leaving heavily towards exercising them.
One Tooth Man
oldarmy1 said:

Burdizzo said:

oldarmy1 said:

Spaceship said:

UP

What are they saying? BAC is one of my trades.
claym711
AG
Very interesting rotation from tech to financials today. I get industrials and materials and healthcare. Not sure I get the tech rotation to financials.

GS up like 15% since election....perhaps potential Trump deregulation
jh0400
AG
claym711 said:

Very interesting rotation from tech to financials today. I get industrials and materials and healthcare. Not sure I get the tech rotation to financials.

GS up like 15% since election....perhaps potential Trump deregulation

It's a bet on higher interest rates by way of economic growth / change in fiscal policy.
k&aj07
AG
NVDA up 15% after hours in regards to earnings report
3rd and 2
AG
k&aj07 said:

NVDA up 15% after hours in regards to earnings report
I'm so happy. That'll make up a bit for AMZN taking a huge poop on my portfolio.
oldarmy1
AG
Markets pullback tomorrow I pick up more PBI. Pitney Bowes missed on earnings and had a mediocre guidance call (I listened). However, one of their concerns was the lack of new businesses which is a core component of their products and services.

Enter the Donald. Cutting Corporate taxes and unleashing entrepreneurs to open businesses. You can see the volume support that came in on the gap down miss. It peaked above short term resistance today but if markets pullback I expect it to potentially move to recent lows, even flashing below it should the pullback be a larger one).

Wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with revised guidance in January. The CEO purchased shares (non-gift categorized) in the last week, for the first time this year.

FTAC2011
AG
So are you going to buy and hold?

Does their success depend on trump following through with his corporate tax break promises?
oldarmy1
AG
FTAC2011 said:

So are you going to buy and hold?

Does their success depend on trump following through with his corporate tax break promises?
Based on technicals its a buy on weakness, so I am buying plenty and would be applying a covered call strategy against portions of the shares above $16 while waiting for a reality in corporate tax rate reduction. With a Republican controlled government the odds are high on that happening.
FTAC2011
AG
Thanks for your quick response
aggie_fan13
AG
AAPL down 106 this morning but as of now its taking a 2 point bump back up to 108
oldarmy1
AG
18600 on DOW should be support on any larger pullback, after breaking to all-time highs. The S&P is still within the channel. AMZN gap still looms and it hasn't performed well on the rally. However, it looks like it has found support, so you options traders could look at 760 strike calls into the close.
oldarmy1
AG
http://www.futuresmag.com/2015/05/15/darvas-box-trading-21st-century-blueprint

Read up on a classic technical pattern - Darvis Box based on moving averages and other fundamentals and technicals. The DOW and S&P have it formed and the DOW broke above it which would be the signal to enter on pullback for a move upward. So no need to be concerned over timing the market to the day. This indicator is saying as long as their is no major piercing back into the box formed then we go higher.

First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.