Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,062,373 Views | 224389 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
59 South
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jmcfar_98 said:

Just keep following OA1's advice and you'll have that $25,000 balance in no time.

I funded a Robinhood account a while back just to play around and learn options. In the past couple of weeks my balance has gone from $800 to $5300 following OA's recs.

I'm holding weekly TWTR 40s overnight from $.23 this morning and 5/17's from $.61. (20% of contracts bought were the weeklies)

I'll sell the weekly's in the morning to avoid the day trade and maybe some of the May's as well.

It seems like peak price on these great news gappers seems to occur in the first 30 minutes the day after the news. Maybe we can call it the "morning after rule"???
Unnecessary Deafness
AG
I'd be curious what the total number of unique visitors this thread gets each day.
E
AG
Nicely done sir!

As of today, with trading only stocks from TA tips the last month or so, I've gained back all of what I lost on my own earlier in the year not knowing what I was doing.

Thanks guys!
AgShaun00
AG
oldarmy1 said:

there is a big feud between trump and jack on the Q thread. Talking about suppressing conservatives and pushing liberal. Curious about this.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Anything out of Jack is lip service. They won't change *****
Beerosch
AG
Just got into this thread the last few weeks. All this is so fascinating. Thanks OA for sharing your knowledge. The last few weeks has been a great learning experience for me.
oldarmy1
AG
59 South said:

jmcfar_98 said:

Just keep following OA1's advice and you'll have that $25,000 balance in no time.

I funded a Robinhood account a while back just to play around and learn options. In the past couple of weeks my balance has gone from $800 to $5300 following OA's recs.

I'm holding weekly TWTR 40s overnight from $.23 this morning and 5/17's from $.61. (20% of contracts bought were the weeklies)

I'll sell the weekly's in the morning to avoid the day trade and maybe some of the May's as well.

It seems like peak price on these great news gappers seems to occur in the first 30 minutes the day after the news. Maybe we can call it the "morning after rule"???
Holy smokes that's fantastic! That represents a 662% ROI....

Hope TWTR spikes into the opening for you in the morning!
oldarmy1
AG
Ranger222 said:

Lots of euphoria today and FOMO going around....usually a good day to trim positions before the eventual rug pull.

Finally in the green on those Jan 20 TWTR 70 C....barely.

Here is a earnings trade for tomorrow morning -- took a handful of Thermo Fisher TMO May 290 C for $1. Has traded higher 8 of last 9 earnings.
I tried and tried but got zero fills on TMO. Hope they blow out earnings in the morning for ya!
oldarmy1
AG
Did anyone make a move on OSTK calls? I didn't at this point but gonna watch it.
docaggie
AG
Yeah, my Robinhood account is on perpetual "I'm gonna tell on you if you make one more day trade" mode.
So I have to adapt to holding overnight.
It's okay. Most days I don't have time to actively monitor for the best pop in price anyway.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie_2463
AG
I have been just buying stocks in an IRA, but may open up an account to play these options. I really don't understand what is being said most of the time, but it's probably because I haven't exactly tried to buy any options.

I am assuming it works like this:

Stock is $5, and the call options for $5.50 is $0.50 per option through 5/15. If I buy 100 of them, and the stock starts going up my call value starts increasing to say $1 per? If I sell all 100 then I basically doubled my money?

What happens if 5/15 rolls around and they expire, do I take a complete loss?
leoj
AG
Forget what I said about the semis...

Texas Instruments (NASDAQ:TXN) erases its post-earnings gains and drops 2.3% after the earnings call.

CFO Rafael Lizardi says that typical cyclical downturns have about four to five quarters of Y/Y declines and TI just completed its second shrinking quarter

LRCX reports tomorrow after the bell
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
You're correct. Each call option entitles you buy 100 shares of the underlying issue at the strike price. So your $0.50 example is $50 per contract (100 shares). If you sell prior to expiration, you net the difference between current price and your basis. There are many nuisances such as volatility, time decay, etc. which require attention. And, yes if the issue is not in the money at expiration and you take no action it is a 100% loss.
oldarmy1
AG
gotsand said:

You're correct. Each call option entitles you buy 100 shares of the underlying issue at the strike price. So your $0.50 example is $50 per contract (100 shares). If you sell prior to expiration, you net the difference between current price and your basis. There are many nuisances such as volatility, time decay, etc. which require attention. And, yes if the issue is not in the money at expiration and you take no action it is a 100% loss.

And, depending on platform used, if options are even as much as a penny in the money you can get shares assigned. Caution there!

Read TastyTrade and other books/Resources people have posted on here.

But DO NOT under any circumstances open a trade of 100 options. My average option trade is 120 after 27 years. My largest option trade has been 750.

What I would open a Robinhood account with options added on. While you are reading up on learning the ins and outs buy 2 (TWO) options. That's leveraging 200 shares but it's not important.

What you want to do is experience the movements in premium, feel premium decay as the maturity date approaches. If the options get up over 50% then sell 1. Then make sure as you watch the other one you stop loss if it deteriorates to half your purchase price. Net effect of that is no loss.

And if it never moves upward sell both at 50% of investment. It really doesn't matter win or lose because the big picture is getting a healthy understanding, and respect, for option trading.

Make sense?
spud1910
AG
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you all for the knowledge shared here.
docaggie
AG
What he said.

I moved to Robinhood so I could do only a contract or two at a time while I gain experience and not get crippled with fees while doing so.

And I think I'm going to move to his suggestion of two contracts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
E
AG
This is what I'm doing in regards to the Robinhood account
leoj
AG
oldarmy1 said:

NVDA has plenty of upside above $200 IMO. Creeping up to resistance. A $200 call out 2 weeks minimum look solid. More expensive so I am always prepared to trade any pullback with additional options that are then sold when regaining any losses on initial entries. Sometimes you get a spike past your offset and just smile.

Came across this

Quote:

Nice close above 38.2% retracement in $NVDA today.
STILL $101 below ATH & $11 below big gap fill.
So I added a little more in 2 accounts.
Aggie_2463
AG
Yeah I didn't realize 100 shares was 1 option. I planned on starting small buying 1-2 and seeing how it worked. Thanks for all the help.
leoj
AG
Quote:

JUST IN: White House says U.S. Trade Rep. and Treasury Secretary will travel to Beijing for continued trade talks starting April 30 and China's Vice Premier will lead a delegation to Washington on May 8. cnbc.com
Aggie09Derek
AG
TD Ameritrade lowered my rate again on request - now paying $4 a transaction.
tramaro1
AG
spud1910 said:

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you all for the knowledge shared here.

Shameless plug, but if you want to sign up use my code and we'll both get a free stock:
http://share.robinhood.com/scottt54

Robinhood is nice bc you can only buy a couple options and not be hit with fees.
dlp3719
AG
After hours was a bit ugly on NVDA. We'll see where it opens but fair chance you can buy better tomorrow morning.
leoj
AG
For sure. Txn could lead smh down. If earnings beat estimates and we see consensus yoy growth by 4q for the sector I don't things will get too bad though.
cslifer
How do you guys feel about UNH? I bought the big dip they had they other day and sold today for a 10.5% gain. I am strongly considering buying in again next time Bernie runs his mouth and causes a dip. I think the company is strong but politics scare me, especially heading into the election cycle.
I guess my question is do you see it as a buy and hold or more of a day trading stock?
dlp3719
AG
I'm about half way thru the Handbook of Technical Analysis (linked on first page). There is a big section devoted to Stochastics. Does anyone use them?
oldarmy1
AG
Let's talk macro-status. The v bottom has had so many easy money trades and it's sad to see that period drawing to an end.

Once we reach new highs we lose the left side analystics, so to speak. No V, no resistance markers,etc. There is open space on the left side of charts. That makes things so much more challenging.

Frankly, everyone on here should be hoping we have a correction to fill that 2836 gap. Why? Because the markets WILL hit an all-time new high. That means any pull back from here become easy trade opportunities. ROKU was such a trade most recently.

Unfortunately, while some individual stocks will always be moving downward faster I think we only get consolidation drifts.

Still, regardless of how the new highs play out we have a lot of individual breakouts we'll see.

Figured I'd post ramblings of what things rumble around in my noggin.

oldarmy1
AG
dlp3719 said:

I'm about half way thru the Handbook of Technical Analysis (linked on first page). There is a big section devoted to Stochastics. Does anyone use them?

Yes!
leoj
AG
I'm just starting reading it after having it for months.
Seven Costanza
AG
The markets seem to hate uncertainty and one would expect that we will likely have plenty of it during next year's election, given that one of the candidates will have radical ideas about economic policy. When do you think we will start to see this uncertainty affecting the markets?
jakal0722
OA - I really want to contribute but am not well versed in technical analysis.

My thought was picking a certain range of stock ($20-$30 price was my initial idea) and focus on patterns and post anything that I see that might have heavy up or down trends or haramis. Would this be of assistance? I have time but still a ways to go before I trust my tech analysis.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Seven Costanza said:

The markets seem to hate uncertainty and one would expect that we will likely have plenty of it during next year's election, given that one of the candidates will have radical ideas about economic policy. When do you think we will start to see this uncertainty affecting the markets?

Not until after Democrats declare their high sultan. Even then, if the market keeps humming, unseating Trump will be virtually impossible.
Ragoo
AG
dlp3719 said:

i use the keltner channel.

I am not very active right now due to work but follow along and make trades in my head to reason check.

Edit: right now it looks like a 20/3 channel well defines current price action across many tickers.
oldarmy1
AG
jakal0722 said:

OA - I really want to contribute but am not well versed in technical analysis.

My thought was picking a certain range of stock ($20-$30 price was my initial idea) and focus on patterns and post anything that I see that might have heavy up or down trends or haramis. Would this be of assistance? I have time but still a ways to go before I trust my tech analysis.
If you can post charts with these that would be best. I can view a chart and can "cull" just on a quick 30 second review, to get to that one that presents opportunity.
jakal0722
Sounds good! I liked the trend of AAON that seems to hold within very clear boundaries on the highs and lows. It seems to be halfway up right now but could be nice to watch.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DYMlXvJ

First Page Last Page
Page 479 of 6412

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.