Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,103,143 Views | 224581 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing matters unless the democrats take the senate, so not sure why all the concern.
spud1910
AG
Thanks for the offer, but I have been on Robinhood since last summer. My first option experience was OA's recommendation on INTC a few weeks ago.
ProgN
Post removed:
by user
ProgN
True, but it looks like the ante has been upped.
FrioAg 00
AG
As the competing offer goes up, shareholders will worry more and more about a class action suit for choosing a lower offer

Anything more than a 15% premium can usually be considered a hostile situation
IrishTxAggie
AG
That's $11/share more than CVX and I wonder if it includes the breakup fee if Anadarko goes with OXY over CVX now.
oldarmy1
AG
Likely closing out OKTA today.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Quick question to those of you with stars:

Does subscribing allow you to track a thread (like this one) and get email notification of all posts to that thread, or does it give you a single notification of a new post then leave you alone until you log in?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
OA,

Thoughts on APPL puts once it hits the top of this ascending channel (could be soon)? Based on past history, the consolidation within the channel to the lower trend can take multiple weeks. I would want to wait for a red candle at the upper trendline.
cgh1999
AG
If chevron loses out on anadarko, are there other players in the Permian they may target?
oldarmy1
AG
Once we break all-time highs on S&P anything can happen. Since it was obviously the last top resistance line we might break it and then pull back or power thru with a celebratory rally. The likely historical pattern is break new highs, quick moderate pullback (bear trap) and then shoot upward.

Lot of analytics go out the window, so it's a wait and see. But I do enter a few Puts just to test the waters around last all-time highs.
IrishTxAggie
AG
PXD
CheladaAg
AG
How in the heck is BA up premarket with the mass of bad news?
docaggie
AG
Seems to me that it's because the bad news didn't come out of nowhere, revenue was on target, and the losses associated with the MAX line are going to be spread out over the life of the MAX line of aircraft - 8 to 9 years or so for that billion $ loss. Plus they have several billion in cash. That means a lot of institutional money is flowing in with the intention of holding it long.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jakal0722
Any reason why an imgur isn't embedding as an image?
Ragoo
AG
cgh1999 said:

If chevron loses out on anadarko, are there other players in the Permian they may target?
my guess is that cvx targeted Apc because both are focused in the Delaware basin.
IrishTxAggie
AG
That's why PXD would be another strong target for them if they stay in shopping mode.
Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

jakal0722 said:

OA - I really want to contribute but am not well versed in technical analysis.

My thought was picking a certain range of stock ($20-$30 price was my initial idea) and focus on patterns and post anything that I see that might have heavy up or down trends or haramis. Would this be of assistance? I have time but still a ways to go before I trust my tech analysis.
If you can post charts with these that would be best. I can view a chart and can "cull" just on a quick 30 second review, to get to that one that presents opportunity.
OA, I have a question about where you view your charts at?

I normally have mine set up for the Daily with 1 minute intervals to watch the volume and then I follow along with the RSI and SS to check the momentum. But I've noticed that the charts you post (going back to the bullish Harami I called out yesterday) are on a day by day volume.

Which do you think is more beneficial for an initial review?

Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

That's why PXD would be another strong target for them if they stay in shopping mode.
i don't think pxd has as strong a footprint in the Delaware but I am not fully aware of positioning.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Initial review (for me) is always on the daily charts.

You'll get whipsawed to no end using nothing but the 1-min bars.
tramaro1
AG
I have a couple questions for my fellow smart investing Ags. I want to start buying some stocks for my kids and hope that when they are older the stocks will have matured nicely. I wish my parents would have bought some AAPL or AMZN stock for me when I was a kid. I know hindsight is 20/20 and you never know if something is going to take off like those companies at the time.

But my question is what are some good stocks that you are buying for your kids?
Also how did you buy those stocks for your kids, a Guardian account or Custodial account?
Ragoo
AG
gotsand said:

Initial review (for me) is always on the daily charts.

You'll get whipsawed to no end using nothing but the 1-min bars.
inusually start on the 2min chart and review outward to the 15 minute
Rice and Fries
tramaro1 said:

I have a couple questions for my fellow smart investing Ags. I want to start buying some stocks for my kids and hope that when they are older the stocks will have matured nicely. I wish my parents would have bought some AAPL or AMZN stock for me when I was a kid. I know hindsight is 20/20 and you never know if something is going to take off like those companies at the time.

But my question is what are some good stocks that you are buying for your kids?
Also how did you buy those stocks for your kids, a Guardian account or Custodial account?
HSY, DIS, BRK/B, VOO, anything that is broad based (VOO) that will allow you diversity and not over-exposed. Or ones that are staples and/or pay dividends and have long track records.

I don't have any chit'lins yet, but I learned a lot from my father and my mom's boss. He was teaching his grandkids how to buy stocks and learn smart money management. He would open accounts for them and teach them how the stock market would work and let them buy stocks in companies they liked (under armor, starbucks, etc.) and then sit down with them to review.

Biggest advice is buying for long term holds and time-lines. Teach them time in market > timing the market. If you don't want to have as active management and aren't sure, there is nothing wrong with buying shares of a total stock market fund or s&p 500 fund every month. Dollar cost averaging is a great way to beat the market long term.
Ragoo
AG
If you are looking 10+ years just buy them some SPY or IWM. Companies come and go.
khkman22
AG
gotsand said:

Quick question to those of you with stars:

Does subscribing allow you to track a thread (like this one) and get email notification of all posts to that thread, or does it give you a single notification of a new post then leave you alone until you log in?
One, two or three stars, doesn't matter, you have a watchlist icon when logged in that tells you how many threads you are watching have activity since you last viewed it. If you start or reply to a thread, it is automatically in your watchlist. You can add other threads you haven't posted on manually. After 2-3 weeks of inactivity, the thread drops off the watchlist unless you save it.

Also, for threads not on a watchlist, it still displays how many new posts are on that thread since you last viewed it while you are on the individual forum page.

You don't get individual emails, but as long as you are logged in, you will see the blue watchlist notification for any new post on any watchlisted thread.
JobSecurity
AG
From OAs posts yesterday I'm watching for continuation on CSCO if markets move higher and confirmation of reversal on GILD.
02skiag
AG
MOMO calls up 350%. I tried for a half hour to actually buy them at the end of day yesterday and finally got some.
mrad85
AG
Ok, I'm in uncharted territory for me now. Bought my first option. MOMO 5/17 - same as OA. We'll see how this plays out.
02skiag
AG
Well now it's back down again...
IrishTxAggie
AG
02skiag said:

Well now it's back down again...
Options are Craps of the stock market... Up big one moment and then gone within the time it takes to roll some dice.
oldarmy1
AG
FEYE approaching $16. with 3 weeks remaining a push today could get us to the money. It's a day I will sell.

CSCO engaged with move above 3 day highs. Get that sucker fully engaged!
mrad85
AG
For any of my RH brethren. I have my RH account linked to ya hoo Finance, but I don't see that the options I have show up. Is there something I am missing?

It's easier for me to look at the screen rather than my phone
khkman22
AG
oldarmy1 said:

FEYE approaching $16. with 3 weeks remaining a push today could get us to the money. It's a day I will sell.

CSCO engaged with move above 3 day highs. Get that sucker fully engaged!
Would you go with 5/17 $60 or 5/10 $57.5? 5/17 has the earnings volatility built in, but wondering if the higher strike is still a better play or not. Currently seeing $.49 for 5/10 and $.41 for 5/17.
leoj
AG
RH has full desktop functionality now
First Page Last Page
Page 480 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.