Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,522,375 Views | 223304 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ProgN
WestTexAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldarmy1 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

oldarmy1 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Meh, profit taking hit

Me too on CSX
Why we went out to 15th. I'm confident it will break that and pay bigger than a 65% ROI today

In OA1, I believe
I bet yesterday you were like "what is this dog stock!" Ha!

I posted the option yesterday on Twitter. If I put it there I am 100% locked in on it being a winner. I don't usually post my exits on Twitter for obvious reasons.

Ha I was, but then I looked into it a bit.
I'm still figuring out the balance between being patient and taking profits.

So far, I'm about 2-6 on win/loss. It's a learning process
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
oldarmy1
AG
I was aggressive on that potential magnet move knowing if it flashed on that $1.65 would haver gotten filled. The day isn't over but it has a 5 daily rolling bottom showing upward opportunity.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Trump about to speak about shutdown. Should be interesting...
oldarmy1
AG
How would you guys handle ROKU here. We have the obvious Cup & Handle. The last one was smaller and after a cross pattern it failed. Well this is a larger cup and handle and today we look like we're going to have the cross pattern.

So what to do when you have no hedge at this time and own the shares from $26.35 on the large order with an average $28.12 having bought on the way down? You know IU hedged it with covered calls on the day it pushed $45 but those expired so I am not willing to go non-hedged into the weekend. This is a test. What would you do?

clobby
AG
buy some puts
oldarmy1
AG
clobby said:

buy some puts
Strikes and date?
Colt98
AG
Am I wrong in thinking ROKU will test 45?? I was thinking about feb 45 calls. I bought the stock a little under 30 a few weeks ago. Missed CC last time it hit 45. Was thinking on waiting until it got back up there to do CC, but now I thing it will pop over 45 if it gets there..
Colt98
AG
Your talking hedge I'd buy at the money feb puts?? Basically same strategy as writing the CC on the stock I own... Right???
khkman22
AG
oldarmy1 said:

What would you do?
Wait for you to tell us?
oldarmy1
AG
Colt98 said:

Your talking hedge I'd buy at the money feb puts?? Basically same strategy as writing the CC on the stock I own... Right???
Close. Started buying Feb 1st 41.50's at 75 cents. Need ROKU to go up some sitting at bid 68 cents hidden as well
deadbq03
AG
I'm an idiot, but if I held Roku right now, I'd sell Feb 15 $42 calls for 3.40ish and call it good.
oldarmy1
AG
Got piddly fills so far including a 68 now at 65 bid. Apply an advanced algorithm that will lower or raise to a cap in conjunction with stock movement. So it is lowering the bid as ROKU moves upward but if the ask hits a predetermined mark it will take it.
Ragoo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

How would you guys handle ROKU here. We have the obvious Cup & Handle. The last one was smaller and after a cross pattern it failed. Well this is a larger cup and handle and today we look like we're going to have the cross pattern.

So what to do when you have no hedge at this time and own the shares from $26.35 on the large order with an average $28.12 having bought on the way down? You know IU hedged it with covered calls on the day it pushed $45 but those expired so I am not willing to go non-hedged into the weekend. This is a test. What would you do?

i sold a covered call at 42 on 90% and will likely get called out.

I am okay with that. I will still own a couple hundred shares. But ready to acquire more diversification.
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

i sold a covered call at 42 on 90% and will likely get called out.

I am okay with that. I will still own a couple hundred shares. But ready to acquire more diversification.
You deserve that huge win!
oldarmy1
AG
Never look a good profit in the mouth but that TWTR weekly is now above 40 cents. I usually hang on to 25% but just didn't like how it was responding.
oldarmy1
AG
So far markets have absorbed fairly decent profit taking volume in the 2nd half of the session. I hope they are looking down at the prices they sold at this time next week.
YNWA_AG
AG
Are you making any plays on V? Last week you mention possibly loading for 2/1.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Lovely h pattern day continues after a brief battle around the gap fill.

I bought JD calls due to the volume increase on this last move down to $21.80 area. Went with the $22.50 weekly at 24 cents. I also bought V $140 calls against my $135 Puts due to its coming down below $138. That's a good sandwhich for whichever way the markets trend this week.
I never bought the large Visa Call because it never reached my target to do so. Sorry, this buy of the $140 Calls was buried in JD minutia, although I was trading a quasi spread at that point.

oldarmy1
AG
NVDA staying on trend shakes off the -4 to be green and hit a new high on the trend off bottom
oldarmy1
AG
NIO at $6.66 again.

Helluva move satan.
oldarmy1
AG
OLED from $92's to $102's in 3 days. If markets get settled out OLED will make a big move upward. Since its a planted holding I trade options on it and the ROI's have been +130% every time. So many stocks I trade I can't post them all.
oldarmy1
AG
DOCU testing days highs.
khkman22
AG
The volume the last two days on SUM are the two lowest since July. Yesterday was not that much lower than some days here and there since that time, but does light volume two days in a row signal anything in general? Or possibly in this specific situation?
Ragoo
AG
Decided to roll them up and out for more premium.

I have now sold the covered calls out to 2/8 @$44 strike.
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

We need to educate more fully on this; especially to those who think when you enter a covered call you will miss potential larger gains.
Ragoo
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

We need to educate more fully on this; especially to those who think when you enter a covered call you will miss potential larger gains.
just riding the wave up.

I had to buy my original call back at a 3x loss. But when I sold the new call out two weeks I took in a higher premium than where I originally sold.

I could have been called out at $42 tomorrow or now $44 in two weeks. If the later the roll gained me an additional ~$2,000.
oldarmy1
AG
For those who followed re-entering SPOT calls a couple of days ago I am NOT closing them out today. It just had a nice breakout of the days trend and it is approaching breakout on the macro technicals.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

oldarmy1 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Sold all my $22.5 weeklies when it popped to $.4. I've burned myself on options not being more didciplined and trying to turn a new leaf.
Daily award winner for non-greedy decision making goes to IrishTXAggie. I held mine and received an added whopping 3 cents but if the selloff had hit before that last push upward I would have been exiting well below 40 cents chasing the bid.

Well done!

I watched it go to .4 and thought "I can get just a little more", then it went down. Then I set a limit sell of .33 and got it, thinking "well, I got a little at least". Then I watched in anguish as it went up to .43.

One of these days I'll get a hang of it. I'm still hanging on to SPOT calls cause I was dumb and didn't sell when I had a chance.
Yeah when I posted exiting on SPOT when it goes green know that I'm hitting the exit button. I have bought back SPOT calls Feb 1 $135 strikes an hour ago.
oldarmy1
AG
Profit taking spikes taking most stocks well off their days highs. Need to hold 2660
oldarmy1
AG
When we planted CRON we expected it to go "high"er. I'd say that was a winner. That said, Piper J raising its target from $40 to $60 is criminal.
deadbq03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

For poors like me, I generally eat too much on trade commission for rolling to be profitable (trading in singles most of the time). Buying back and reselling means two more premiums which usually means it's not worth it.

As for the concern about missing larger gains - I'm willing to accept that loss because the way I'm doing it, I get nice downside protection by hunting for good premiums on ITM calls and then doing a buy/write. And I don't have to waste my time/emotions brooding over every market move. I make a deal at a premium I like and call it good.

Take your ROKU example... Back when you asked the question, you could've bought it for 43.5, sold a Feb 15 $42 for maybe 3.40 (bid was 3.35) and been downside protected to nearly $40. Upside profit loss mark was above $46. Annualized gains if it executed on the 15th would be north of 90%.
oldarmy1
AG
Does Robinhood allow roll over options? Man if I were starting out or working with lower capital I'd only use Robinhood. The thought of free trades and options trades is crazy, and my options costs are the lowest in the marketplace - other than free.
clobby
AG
https://share.robinhood.com/colbyc132

I use Robin hood because I only deal with a few contracts at a time. I found out the hard way trying to sell one option on TD.
khkman22
AG
deadbq03 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

For poors like me, I generally eat too much on trade commission for rolling to be profitable (trading in singles most of the time). Buying back and reselling means two more premiums which usually means it's not worth it.

As for the concern about missing larger gains - I'm willing to accept that loss because the way I'm doing it, I get nice downside protection by hunting for good premiums on ITM calls and then doing a buy/write. And I don't have to waste my time/emotions brooding over every market move. I make a deal at a premium I like and call it good.

Take your ROKU example... Back when you asked the question, you could've bought it for 43.5, sold a Feb 15 $42 for maybe 3.40 (bid was 3.35) and been downside protected to nearly $40. Upside profit loss mark was above $46. Annualized gains if it executed on the 15th would be north of 90%.
I'm not saying it is superior to whatever platform you're using, and there are some things I don't like about it, but Tastyworks is only $1 opening commission and no commission for closing. That's per leg, so if you are doing a vertical, it's $2 per overall trade, and $4 for an iron condor. But when you can enter and exit a trade for $1 as opposed to $15-20 on other platforms, it's really good for beginners and those with lower bankrolls I think.

Edit: That's $1/contract, so $.01/share. If you bought or sold 10 contracts, it would be $10.
leoj
AG
They do not have automated rolling mechanisms, no. They did put in straddles and strangles. I think eventually they will add even more options utilities into the app. But yeah right now it's pretty manual, nothing like a tasty works.
First Page Last Page
Page 364 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.