Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,084,840 Views | 224455 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prognightmare said:

If anyone is interested. Jim Cramer is about to show an interview with Tim Cook (AAPL CEO) on Mad Money on CNBC.

Buying puts in the morning now!
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

Prognightmare said:

If anyone is interested. Jim Cramer is about to show an interview with Tim Cook (AAPL CEO) on Mad Money on CNBC.

Buying puts in the morning now!
Smartass, but I respect that.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Is there a chart on Cramer's historical hit rate?
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

Is there a chart on Cramer's historical hit rate?
Probably, but I will always remember he told everyone to get out of stocks in Oct-Nov of 2008. He was adamant about that and If you did and even went short it really paid off. He also had Doug Cass (I think) on his show in March or April of 2009 and he called it a generational low and to buy good companies. Cass, or whoever he was, called to absolute bottom of that bloodbath.
Ragoo
AG
SPY was on a pretty defined rising wedge for most of the day. Break down?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Was too young for that.
ProgN
Unfortunately, I wasn't.
badharambe
AG
favorite cramer clips:

^^ texags doesn't want to recognize the timestamp to get to the juicy part.

^^ Bear Stearns was at $62 dollars ( March 11, 2008 ) and on March 16, Bear Stearns signed a merger w/ JP Morgan Chase of $2/ share but eventually 10$/share was agreed upon.

tramaro1
AG
OA1, looking at CX calls out till July are relatively cheap for $7-8 strike price. Would this be a good play if you are expecting it to pop in the summer or would you suggest just buying the shares?
johnson2012
AG
What I've learned from oa1:

1. Buy shares
2. Sell covered called
3.???
4. Profit

Somewhere in there you mix in puts and it doubles your money again.
oldarmy1
AG
tramaro1 said:

OA1, looking at CX calls out till July are relatively cheap for $7-8 strike price. Would this be a good play if you are expecting it to pop in the summer or would you suggest just buying the shares?
Can't say on timing, only that I like the sector as a turnaround story. There will likely be some kind of initial "pop"
once resistance is broken and it catches eyes on momentum. I like the shares because of the entry and then on any pop I can sell covered calls on the premium burst. It could just ease its way upward, through typical ups and downs, eliminating any premium upside as well.
oldarmy1
AG
johnson2012 said:

What I've learned from oa1:

1. Buy shares
2. Sell covered called
3.???
4. Profit

Somewhere in there you mix in puts and it doubles your money again.
1) Buy a ton of shares in times of turmoil, on volume.
2) Sell % of shares on flash recovery "V" bottom when approaching the last level pre-flash. (generally 25%)
3) Sell 25% on major mover short squeeze stocks (Posted selling 50% of $45 ROKU pre-market yesterday) and covered calls on up to 75% of shares on approaching previous resistance marks
4) Look for laggards that came off "V" bottom but haven't broken out (Did I pound the table enough on JD last 2 days????????? Can lead a horse to water but you gotta pull the trigger!)
5) Buy Puts using no more than 10% of your profits. i.e. NFLX is up $40 from entry so if you bought 1k shares you spend up to $4000 of your $40k profit in protective and opportunity Puts) Opoportunity means like ROKU yesterday posted buying Puts at the open above $44 and it dropped below $40 to buy 75% shares against those for risk free trade that made another $1. Puts used as hedges aren't to achieve a double, although ROKU's happened to do more than that yesterday - they are to take advantage of momentum when you don't want to exit shares that you either want to hold long term or that momentum might continue the move, easily overtaking the small hedge paid.
6) On and on and on strategies go to $$$$$$

And this is why I don't post on threads where someone is literally asking for a 5% annual cash out. I'd rather die.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Did anyone besides OA1 and myself get in on MAXR? Just sold half of my $7.5 Feb calls and holding the other half net free now.
oldarmy1
AG
First 2 services with option call alerts on JD. Average of those are to buy the January 18th $25 strikes
oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Did anyone besides OA1 and myself get in on MAXR? Just sold half of my $7.5 Feb calls and holding the other half net free now.
I sold 75% and a tip of the hat for the alert!!!
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

First 2 services with option call alerts on JD. Average of those are to buy the January 18th $25 strikes
It bumped right off that 24ish resistance the first time, lets see if we can get through
oldarmy1
AG
tramaro1 said:

Now I wish I had just said "YES!"

That said - the spread on the options makes it tough to buy calls on a stock edging upwards.
clobby
SW AG80
AG
What do you see over the 12-18 months for ROKU now that Apple is no longer in the picture for buying ROKU?
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

Kicking myself kinda. I was going to jump in, but decided to cost average down on my CHK position. So Its been a bit of a lose - win I guess?

oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

p.s. I nearly always sell 75% when an option pays a 100% ROI in less than 24 hrs.
0708aggie
AG
I got in and am in the process of taking profits. Thanks for the tip.

And out. I'll take a 19.1% gain for a 1 day hold any day.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Eyeing options on SMART Global ($SGH) now with my MAXR proceeds. Barely missed earnings and is taking a very unfair beating due to a slightly down guidance. Just bounced off of it's 52wk low.
oldarmy1
AG
Anatomy of a selloff flash down. First, I want to be clear that I am not claiming to have "timed the market". The first flash down you see big volume build into the accelerated selloff. Then note the day the bottom occurred volume was much lower. While there were no huge buyers (they had been buying the day before) that signaled there was no big selling going on - a tale-tale giveaway that the flash down was a worthwhile entry.

I had posted my plan was to buy when 2500 got broken with 25% of all sidelined cash. I did so and posted at the same time that I would put an additional 50% of cash in at 2350. But we got the bounce and you see the points of 25% exit and covered calls fairly clearly on that initial bounce.

But we lost 2500 decidedly and flashed down to my 2350 mark for the big entry of cash. That mark was my personal algorithm buy-in point. Again, not that I timed the market but I accurately assessed my entry point. Note that BABA did not (I like to view it as COULD NOT) break its 2500 low. A SURE sign of buying strength. Funny that my 25% buys and 50% buys were nearly identical. Not so funny is the huge cash cow being able to "double dip" profits via two flash entries that further reduced any kind of downside risk whatsoever. You will also look across most stocks and they also did not hit new lows. Some didn't even reach the previous 2500 lows but I STILL enter the 50% cash. Important to note.

oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Eyeing options on SMART Global ($SGH) now with my MAXR proceeds. Barely missed earnings and is taking a very unfair beating due to a slightly down guidance. Just bounced off of it's 52wk low.
Only gotten 14 filled at 60 cents for Jan 18th $25 strike. I have 50 order entered so 36 more potential. I will place a stop loss at 45 cents.
johnson2012
AG
This is why OA1 (and other smart folks on here) are awesome. Giving tips and going above and beyond to explain "why".
IrishTxAggie
AG
oldarmy1 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Only gotten 14 filled at 60 cents for Jan 18th $25 strike. I have 50 order entered so 36 more potential. I will place a stop loss at 45 cents.
Looks like it's trying to find support at around $22.75
Señor Chang
AG
Noob options question - How are the price increments determined? Roku has options in .50 increments (38.50, 39.00, 39.50), but SGH is in $5 increments ($25, $30, $35).
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
It's usually a function of the current stock price and length of contract (edit: and liquidity)
IrishTxAggie
AG
Something to mull over... Bezos is getting a divorce. Been married for 25 years. Amazon was founded 24 years ago. AFTER he got married. Not sure about prenup. Could be interesting if it gets dirty over money.
oldarmy1
AG
Seor Chang said:

Noob options question - How are the price increments determined? Roku has options in .50 increments (38.50, 39.00, 39.50), but SGH is in $5 increments ($25, $30, $35).
Activity
oldarmy1
AG
Yup and I got all my fills so lets ride!
oldarmy1
AG
There comes some good volume on SGH
oldarmy1
AG
SW AG80 said:

What do you see over the 12-18 months for ROKU now that Apple is no longer in the picture for buying ROKU?
I think good luck catching ROKU's base and technology. Notice its giving ROKU a lift verses trouble.
oldarmy1
AG
Intraday cup and handle on JD....maybe continuation climb ahead?
First Page Last Page
Page 345 of 6414

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.