Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,101,697 Views | 224567 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by I bleed maroon
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oldarmy1 said:

There comes some good volume on SGH
SGH continuation volume giving it a nice move upward.
TexDill15
AG
What platform do you recommend for noobs to use?? I have been following for a about a month and think its time to get a little skin in the game.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TexDill15 said:

What platform do you recommend for noobs to use?? I have been following for a about a month and think its time to get a little skin in the game.
Robinhood is good for noobs. Trades are free and you can do everything off of your phone.

Shameless plug:
http://share.robinhood.com/colinb132
oldarmy1
AG
TexDill15 said:

Go free with Robinhood. Get someone's referral link so each of you get a free share.
oldarmy1
AG
Markets invited short sellers in and smacked them again.
AggiePeeps06
AG
I'm relatively new to trading as well and use Robinhood because it's user friendly and free (no commissions). Use this link to sign up and we'll both get a free stock. https://share.robinhood.com/toddp180
oldarmy1
AG
ALGN Whoop!
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

ALGN Whoop!
Do you think that's the reversal signal to head back up to gap fill around 300?
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

Something to mull over... Bezos is getting a divorce. Been married for 25 years. Amazon was founded 24 years ago. AFTER he got married. Not sure about prenup. Could be interesting if it gets dirty over money.
I doubt they would make a public announcement about their separation if they already hadn't agreed upon divorce settlements. Bezos is normally a very calculated person
leoj
AG
I always miss the robinhood link posting opportunity
TexDill15
AG
I appreciate the offers for robinhood. I will probably use Irish's link because he came in first for the suggestion by a minute.
oldarmy1
AG
gougler08 said:

oldarmy1 said:

ALGN Whoop!
I do
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

I always miss the robinhood link posting opportunity
Put it in your signature???
traveler1
AG
MAXR tip was a good one. Currently up 12+% on the stock plus some covered calls.

AMD is presenting at CES right now. Could be a fun day.
leoj
AG
Good point. I'm on mobile so I never even see them
badharambe
AG
Robinhood is a great place to start. Just note that "it's free" is a great moniker to say you are probably getting front-run by HFT. I use it, just don't be fooled by "free" and if you don't know what HFT is, here's a start,

Besides that, I use TDAmeritrade for pretty charts and study tools, while Interactive Brokers is my favorite for cheap(er) trades.
oldarmy1
AG
Use only limit orders on Robinhood. Heck any platform.
IrishTxAggie
AG
AVEO in a holding pattern today. CEO presents at JPM Healthcare Conference at 4PM Pacific.
oldarmy1
AG
NIO with the wake up call.

Cup and handle on markets followed through with wedges upward again. Shorts getting pressed. Sometimes these short squeeze moves end with a blowout upside day. Would love to see a huge long candle on the S&P for easy decisions.
oldarmy1
AG
Selling the VIX Put options. Appreciate the 2350 spike markets!!!
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

gougler08 said:

oldarmy1 said:

ALGN Whoop!
I do
Glad to have your agreement...bought in at 202, so let's go baby
ProgN
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3421827-bulls-defend-roku-ad-opportunity

Quote:

Bulls defend Roku ad opportunity
Jan. 9, 2019 12:34 PM ET|About: Roku Inc. (ROKU)|By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor
An eventful trading week for Roku (ROKU +1.4%) continues, today with more positive movement after the company met with analysts at this week's CES conference.

RBC's Mark Mahaney is sticking by an Outperform rating and the stance that the company is one of the best plays on ad-supported streaming. Company CFO Steve Louden reiterated ad revenue growth has been consistent even among volatile results in the Platform segment, Mahaney says.

He has a $70 price target, implying 68% upside.

Needham's Laura Martin warns, however, that Roku is guiding for zero EBITDA this year, down from a previous $25M, in part from paying rent for two headquarters for part of this year and part of 2020, until an old HQ lease ends. Despite a deal with Best Buy, she notes four of the top five televisions sold through Amazon are Roku sets. (h/t Bloomberg)

Shares jumped earlier this week off strong metrics, and then dropped after Citron Research threw cold water on the stock.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I don't know how in the hell Citron gets away with their *****
ProgN
Agreed, they got slammed in the comments on those tweets. Some screenshot the one they deleted and said they were sending it to the SEC and SDNY
FHUAggie
Noob trying to learn and apply fundamental terms here...but am I correct it saying it looks like NFLX is consolidating?

And if so, ideally, the next move we'd hope to see would be a lot of volume? Or at least a new support level formed?
badharambe
AG
with the markets trending upwards due to hints of progress during the trade talks, and official news of the results coming out tonight, I'm anticipating a market pop and potential sell the news scenario yet again.

One key level I'll be watching is around the 50-day moving average (SPX ~2640), which coincides rather nicely with resistance tracing back to mid-November AND ~2640 is the 50% retracement mark.

just my two cents, we will see what ACTUALLY happens, if we even get to this level.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Might be easier if you switched to the candlestick graph
FHUAggie
IrishTxAggie said:

Might be easier if you switched to the candlestick graph
Yeah definitely, I appreciate the insight. I'm working working on desktop right now and, surprisingly (unless I'm blind as a bat and just overlooked it), they don't have candlestick charts in the web app, only on mobile. I'll get on that shortly though.

Thank you!
ProgN
For you AMZN traders:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/jp-morgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-talks-amazon-at-jpm-2019-private-dinner.html
Quote:

J.P. Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon hosted a private dinner for pharmaceutical executives on Sunday night, ahead of the bank's health-care conference in San Francisco. There was one company not in attendance that received a lot of attention: Amazon.

About 25 industry leaders attended from companies including Eli Lilly, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, along with some of the J.P. Morgan's investment bankers, according to two people with knowledge of the event who asked not to be named because it was private.

Dimon gave some details around what he hopes to accomplish through the bank's health partnership, announced last year, with Amazon and Berkshire Hathaway.

He told the room, "We are not happy with health-care costs and want to help," the people said. It's a theme that's gained resonance in Washington, D.C., with President Trump and politicians from both sides of the aisle calling for drug makers to lower prices.

Dimon was peppered with additional questions about Amazon and its ambitions in the health-care market, after the e-retailer purchased online pharmacy PillPack last year. Amazon also has plans for delivering medical supplies, and the company has reportedly been experimenting in areas like electronic medical records and telemedicine.
ProgN
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/fed-can-afford-to-be-patient-about-future-rate-hikes-fomc-minutes-show.html
Quote:

Federal Reserve officials acknowledged that the policy path ahead is "less clear" after approving an interest rate hike at their most recent meeting.

Minutes released from the Federal Open Market Committee gathering in December showed the rate hike came with reluctance from a few members who thought the lack of inflationary pressures argued against the case for another increase.

Officials at the meeting agreed that "some further gradual increases" in the benchmark funds rate would be appropriate. What that would translate to in practical terms, though, became less clear for a central bank that only a few months earlier was pointing to four hikes in 2019.

The minutes noted that the low-inflationary backdrop means the Fed can "afford to be patient about further policy firming."

The Fed hiked its benchmark rate a quarter point to a range of 2.25 percent to 2 percent, the fourth increase in the year and the ninth since policy normalization began in December 2015.

"With an increase in the target range at this meeting, the federal funds rate would be at or close to the lower end of the range of estimates of the longer-run neutral interest rate, and participants expressed that recent developments, including the volatility in financial markets and the increased concerns about global growth, made the appropriate extent and timing of future policy firming less clear than earlier," the meeting summary stated.

The indecision was reflected in rate forecasts among individual members. Officials cut their expected moves this year from four to two, citing a range of concerns about growth and volatility in the financial markets.

"Concerns over escalating trade tensions, global growth prospects, and the sustainability of corporate earnings growth were among the factors that appeared to contribute to a significant drop in U.S. equity prices," the minutes said.

The misgivings about future policy came before recent public statements from Fed officials echoing a softening course.

Fed Chairman Jero
J_Landes89
AG
Watched all of that... have never been so lost.
ProgN
Prognightmare said:

FWIW:
Quote:

On CNBC's "Fast Money Halftime Report", Jon Najarian spoke about an unusually high options activity in Square Inc (NYSE: SQ). He said options traders were buying the January 63 calls on Tuesday. Around 4,500 contracts were traded and this was the second trading session in a row with heavy volume as around 3,000 contracts were traded on Monday. Najarian bought calls in the name and he is planning to hold them for 10 days.

He has also noticed some options activity in VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSE: GDX). Options traders were buying upside calls in the name. These calls are expiring next week and around 8,000 contracts were traded. Najarian followed the trade and he is planning to hold the position for 10 days.

I should have piggybacked this trade. Damn
oldarmy1
AG
Pretty good red candle on the S&P. Hit a support level for day traders entry.

I have 100% of all sells completed and covered calls in place, so have zero care what the markets do short term.
ProgN
ROKU is trading right at 1 million shares every 15 minutes.
oldarmy1
AG
Jizzle89 said:

Watched all of that... have never been so lost.
Allow me to translate: "We screwed the pooch raising rates with zero inflationary indicators. This in turn tanked the stock markets and we got our butts kicked over the holidays looking like talent from Enron. So now we are apologizing without actually apologizing via double speak about being patient on rate hikes.

About sums it up?

First Page Last Page
Page 346 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.