Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,521,508 Views | 223304 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by ProgN
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

2350 GMT - Samsung just projected much-weaker-than-consensus 4Q results, including an 11% drop in revenue, as smartphone demand has cooled globally and and memory-chip prices seem to have hit a near-term peak. The warning also follows Apple's downbeat sales view last week. The South Korean electronics giant was anticipated to log a 4% sales decline last quarter, according to FactSet. Meanwhile, Samsung said operating profit will dive nearly 30% from a year earlier. Consensus for earnings before interest and taxes was for a 10% decline. The update comes as investors have been cool on Samsung shares for months. They've fallen almost 30% since the company's stock split at the start of May, on Friday hitting their latest 2-year low. But Samsung bounced 3.5% yesterday, its best session in 2 months. (kevin.kingsbury@wsj.com; @kevinkingsbury)
This can't help but hopefully it won't be too bad.
oldarmy1
AG
Prognightmare said:

OA, what's your take on MU? Do you think their inventory problems have been priced in?
I think its hit its low but that doesn't mean its headed higher for now. I'd be selling covered calls on the waves.
ProgN
Thank you sir!
DRE06
AG
snowmnag970 said:

What do you all think of Valero ($VLO)?

It looks to me like it's a bit too low and should move higher. They have a low PEG ratio and strong EPS the last few years.

Valero (and other refiners) have been the beneficiary of great refining margins over the past few years. Those have collapsed. Gasoline crack (value of turning oil into gasoline) is basically $0.
aggiedaniel06
AG
I have been following AMD for a while. Took a large stock position in late 2017 when it was around $13 and sold in 2018 for $23 on it massive run up.

Ever since it crashed back to below $20, I have been playing options. Buying calls on large pullback days. I bought some Jan $18 calls last Thursday for $0.78 and sold today for $2.0. This is CES week with Lisa Su speaking on Wednesday. If markets hold up the next couple of days, I expect AMD to test $22 by Wednesday.

2019 is an inflection point for AMD. This is the year where we find out if Ryzen, Epyc and all their other products rolled out last year have been taking market share from INTC and NVDA. If that is indeed the case and margins are good, AMD should be generating a solid profit. If that's the case AMD to $40 by 2020. Of course this is contingent on the broader state of the markets.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Lisa speaks at CES Wednesday as a key note speaker. I'd keep an eye out
oldarmy1
AG
We are getting close to that 2575 area I had posted as a likely pause after smacking the shorts upside their heads. No gaps as mentioned so that mark is volume buy/sell analytics based.
oldarmy1
AG
ROKU planned sales filled at $45 on short squeeze momentum. Hoping it presses into open so I can lay covered calls on a significant portion of 401k/SEP shares.

Also will buy a $42 Put if above $45 out to next Friday. Thank you ROKU!
oldarmy1
AG
NVDA target reached to sell 25% of buys. Will watvh how markets handle 2575 area for determining covered calls or letting rest run on market momentum. Would automatically sell covered calls on flash up over $150.

Best January ROI's in 11 years.
oldarmy1
AG
Don't tell me I sold the exact top on ROKU! Really want a push above $45 during market hours strategically.
gougler08
AG
Why couldn't my damn employee stock come in last week so I could flip to ROKU...may look at SUM instead now
FJB
AG
I grabbed some CX
oldarmy1
AG
Heads up other planned 25% sells. GILD $71 target. SQ $65, FMC $80, BABA $148

Reminder 1st 25% buys were at 2500 with 50% of total dollars entered at 2350. I am taking 25% off of the TOTAL dollars entered and will decide between covered calls and PUTS as market reacts to 2575.
oldarmy1
AG
And to the PM on JD I don't have a sell scheduled on it until $25, and that likely opt to be a $24 covered call out a month to achieve close to $27+ if exercised.

JD could run hard past $30 on a solid China deal. BABA would be at $175 in the same move.

NiO is just edging higher which is fine because basing is solid for long term trending. It will be $8+ in China deal.

oldarmy1
AG
Another of the big 5 2350 buys was V @ $121. I just sold Jan 25 strike $135 @ $5 to achieve targeted $143 on 50% of holdings OR further reduce my $121 entries down to $116.
ProgN
Blew out of my ROKU calls I bought at the close yesterday when SPX hit 2575. Thanks OA!
oldarmy1
AG
Prognightmare said:

Blew out of my ROKU calls I bought at the close yesterday when SPX hit 2575. Thanks OA!

Whoop!!!
ProgN
With profit taking going on in ROKU right now, where is a good re-entry price?
oldarmy1
AG
I went $40 on ROKU puts on the open and they are almost in the money. Selling 75% of those in the quick 41% profit!
clobby
AG
CHK squeeze might be on the way
IrishTxAggie
AG
Came across this... MAXR is a falling hard, but I think it has a bit of upside potential. They lost full control of a ~$150MM satellite that accounts for only about ~4% of their annual revenue, but has taken over a 50% hit on their stock price in two days. They also had the satellite insured. Their books don't look awful either. Am I missing something here?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/07/why-maxar-technologies-stock-plummeted-315-today.aspx

http://investor.maxar.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2018/Maxar-Technologies-reports-third-quarter-2018-results-declares-quarterly-dividend/default.aspx
oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Came across this... MAXR is a falling hard, but I think it has a bit of upside potential. They lost full control of a ~$150MM satellite that accounts for only about ~4% of their annual revenue, but has taken over a 50% hit on their stock price in two days. They also had the satellite insured. Their books don't look awful either. Am I missing something here?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/07/why-maxar-technologies-stock-plummeted-315-today.aspx

http://investor.maxar.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2018/Maxar-Technologies-reports-third-quarter-2018-results-declares-quarterly-dividend/default.aspx

I see nothing else but have no time to dig deeper. That said I am selling naked Puts $5 Feb 15 strikes @ $1

Great 2 day volume and bunch of downgrade geniuses encouraged me.
Rice and Fries
IrishTxAggie said:

The delta between their enterprise value and the market cap is ridiculous. Not to mention their forward yield is projecting to be around 20% based of the $5.40/share price.
oldarmy1
oldarmy1
AG
Sorry stupid mobile. Tried to post buying ROKU in dip below $40 against remaining Puts for no risk trade. Taking a pure dollar on those now
oldarmy1
AG
Won't buy ROKU against the PUTs 2nd time. Holding looking for $37.

2575 area pretty spot on resistance. Poked through it quick retreat, couldn't reach it in 2nd attempt and now looking like an attempt for a gap fill.

Remember the upside down trend days just like downside up trend days on correction.

spud1910
AG
OA, thoughts on citron's roku report?
oldarmy1
AG
You get your covered calls in on MU?

I don't have time to post every covered call but we talked about it after hours yesterday and with 2575 being hit I would think people automatically sold covered calls up there at $34.75.

Now here is what I do when you nail entries on covered calls and get a fast retreat. Look for the last 30 minutes yesterday to get filled and buy back 50% of the covered calls at a nice capture gain right here.
ProgN
spud1910 said:

OA, thoughts on citron's roku report?

Quote:

The stock surged 25 percent the day before after releasing early Q4 viewership numbers that beat analyst expectations. Roku, which offers streaming players and TV models that allow customers to stream content from various services, also announced Monday that Westinghouse Electronics would license Roku's TV software. Even Citron initially was positive on the news, saying in a tweet that it had originally gone long on Roku at $35 per share.

But on Tuesday, Citron said in the tweet it has "to recognize when the story has changed. APPLE TEAMING UP WITH SAMSUNG., ROKU CEO selling last week, and short interest at lows. Risk/reward no longer there. Expect big retracement."

Apple and Samsung, typically fierce rivals, surprised the public by announcing a deal on Sunday to offer Apple services on Samsung devices. As part of the deal, some Samsung smart TVs will be able to access movie and TV content through iTunes, giving customers another streaming alternative to Roku. Customers will also be able to send content to their TV screens through AirPlay 2 on iPhone and iPad, according to the announcement Sunday.
I believe Citron is FOS.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Looking forward, California utilities will be an interesting one. The S&P just cut PG&E's credit rating to junk as it appears their in deep **** for the wildfires. I wonder if PG&E is too big to fail in California and the state will bail them out. They're on the hook for over $30 billion from what I've seen.
oldarmy1
AG
And know that just because we got a bounce down off that 2575 doesn't mean thw market is done with upside.

Consolidation is a GOOD thing along the way. The fact that we get to make money via other tools during that consolidation is why money managers sleep at night.
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

Looking forward, California utilities will be an interesting one. The S&P just cut PG&E's credit rating to junk as it appears their in deep **** for the wildfires. I wonder if PG&E is too big to fail in California and the state will bail them out. They're on the hook for over $30 billion from what I've seen.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-08/a-pg-e-bankruptcy-would-leave-power-giant-in-turmoil-for-years

With so many better stocks on sale I wouldn't take the risk of PG&E on with so much uncertainty. JMO
oldarmy1
AG
I think Citron is making me more great gains on PUTs and going to make my covered calls decay premium ahead of plan.

Did they just wake up and figure out others plans? This isn't new info.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Prognightmare said:

IrishTxAggie said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-08/a-pg-e-bankruptcy-would-leave-power-giant-in-turmoil-for-years

With so many better stocks on sale I wouldn't take the risk of PG&E on with so much uncertainty. JMO
I don't think California can afford for them to go into bankruptcy. There was a ruling in their favor a while back that allowed them to pass their wildfire costs on to their consumers. I'm not touching it, just will be interesting as it all shakes out.
ProgN
If the FEB 15 ROKU calls hit .50 for 50 strike, then I'll buy some of those today. Their earnings are on Feb 18 and I bet they run up into those earnings.
First Page Last Page
Page 343 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.