Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,116,777 Views | 224619 Replies | Last: 54 min ago by oldarmy1
UpstateAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would you go after calls before close today on either for next week? Maybe 50 for ROKU?
ProgN
UpstateAg said:

Would you go after calls before close today on either for next week? Maybe 50 for ROKU?
Well we do have one HELL of a gap to fill on the way back up.
UpstateAg
AG
Maybe high 70s for square. Seems to bounce between 73 and 79.xx.
oldarmy1
AG
About a 80% likelihood that even if ROKU is going lower it will retrace to $47+ tomorrow.

Decent option risk om weeklies but have to be quick and decisive buying on a down move at bid into close.
oldarmy1
AG
Sitting at 35 cents on those. Might not get filled.
ProgN
Quote:

Roku finds defenders as stock plunges toward worst day on record
12:59 pm ET November 8, 2018 (MarketWatch)

By Emily Bary

Analysts aren't concerned by disappointing third-quarter platform metrics

Shares of Roku Inc. were on track Thursday for their largest single-day percentage drop since the company went public after it missed expectations on a few key financial metrics, but analysts are as upbeat as ever about the company's prospects.

Roku (ROKU) on Wednesday beat top- and bottom-line estimates (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/roku-stock-plunges-after-earnings-beat-weak-profit-forecast-2018-11-07) with its third-quarter results, though the company's platform revenue of $100.1 million came up about $3 million shy of the FactSet consensus. Roku's platform segment, which includes advertising and licensing revenues, is a fast-growing business that's of keen interest to investors.

The company also reported $4.56 in average revenue per user, which represented a slight deceleration and came as a disappointment to some investors.

Shares are currently down 18.5% in Thursday's session. A drop of more than 17.7% at the close would constitute Roku's worst one-day stock performance. The company has been public since September of 2017.

See also: Square shares dip as earnings beat, but December forecast comes up short (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/square-shares-dip-after-earnings-beat-but-december-forecast-that-comes-up-short-2018-11-07)

Needham analyst Laura Martin defended the stock after earnings, writing that platform revenue was impacted by "lumpy" factors and that the metric doesn't reflect the overall health of Roku's ad business. She also argued that average revenue per user is being affected by the growth of the Roku Channel, a curated, ad-supported hub for content.

The Roku Channel has given Roku greater access to ad inventory, according to Martin, though it's changed the way the company approaches ad revenues. Prior to the Roku Channel's emergence, the company sold ads at a lower cost but kept all of the revenue, she said. Now, Roku has a larger ad inventory and charges more for spots, but shares revenue with the content owner.

This suggests higher overall revenue and earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization but lower average revenue per user, Martin said. She rates the stock a buy with an $85 price target (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/roku-stock-gains-after-needham-boosts-target-to-85-2018-10-01).

William Blair analyst Ralph Schackart called Thursday's selloff an "overreaction" given encouraging momentum across Roku's business, and he echoed some of Martin's thoughts regarding chief investor concerns.

"Management indicated that this quarter, video ad sales more than doubled, and have been consistently strong for several quarters," he wrote. "Content distribution, which includes revenue sharing from SVOD [streaming video on demand] and TVOD [TV on demand] purchases on the platform, is a little lumpier due to revenue recognition and grew closer to account growth."

Schackart has an outperform rating on the stock.
UpstateAg
AG
Crap. Just got one 50C for next week filled at my bid.
oldarmy1
AG
They just announced black friday deals. Ok
UpstateAg
AG
You mean, today was Black Friday on ROKU stock, AMIRITE??? (Terrible joke, I'll see myself out)
ProgN
oldarmy1 said:

They just announced black friday deals. Ok
Who?
khkman22
AG
Maybe DBX earnings will help lead a reversal tomorrow.
ProgN
IrishTXAggie is in timeout but he just PM'd me. DBX beat and is moving up in the AH.
khkman22
AG
Prognightmare said:

IrishTXAggie is in timeout but he just PM'd me. DBX beat and is moving up in the AH.
That's kind of why I posted that...
ProgN
Very good my friend, but DBX isn't big enough to switch market momentum. I'm in SQ and ROKU, so I hope I'm wrong.
khkman22
AG
Prognightmare said:

Very good my friend, but DBX isn't big enough to switch market momentum. I'm in SQ and ROKU, so I hope I'm wrong.
Don't disagree, but lately up is down so who knows what will cause movement one way or the other. Technically I'm not in ROKU unless my options get called, which I wouldn't necessarily mind, but would rather just take the premiums and move on right now. So it's also some wishful thinking on my part.
ProgN
I'm with you my friend and I wasn't attacking you. I'm just frustrated with the price action in stocks that actually beat earnings yesterday, yet were punished more than I've seen stocks that totally whiff on earnings. Just frustration on my part, sorry.
khkman22
AG
No offense taken. You're way ahead of me in technical knowledge. I'm just looking for anything to turn around my other tech holdings as well.
ProgN
gougler08
AG
The Fed just needs to keep its mouth closed
ProgN
gougler08 said:

The Fed just needs to keep its mouth closed
Agreed, rates are going up too fast.IMO
oldarmy1
AG
JD retest of 52 week low? That would be a surprise.
UpstateAg
AG
I'm ready for some more leaps into 2020 and beyond with JD. China is just getting lower and lower and it's going to go vertical one day

ETA, confided Herman with that soon owl thing.
ProgN
UpstateAg said:

I'm ready for some more leaps into 2020 and beyond with JD. China is just getting lower and lower and it's going to go vertical one day..... as CTH says......"soon"
Coach Tom Herman? Well he is Mensa and all.
UpstateAg
AG
This thing.
?cid=4bf119fc5be591a74d49646459b90735

Practically indistinguishable
oldarmy1
AG
That S&P gap at 2757 area looms if this gets momentum.
UpstateAg
AG
ROKU trying to rebound.
Señor Chang
AG
SN is down big today, almost 20%.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Seor Chang said:

SN is down big today, almost 20%.
They're headed for Chapter 11.
ProgN
Welcome back my friend.
oldarmy1
AG
NIO would be rocking if markets had any stability. Look at it
IrishTxAggie
AG
Prognightmare said:

Welcome back my friend.
It'll be short lived most likely... I'm still stirring the pot over in Premium.
gougler08
AG
UpstateAg said:

ROKU trying to rebound.
Bounced off that 43.50 line just like in late July/early August...hope it can hold as resistance this time as well
UpstateAg
AG
Apparently I ruffled feathers Saturday too...
ProgN
Which thread?
ProgN
gougler08 said:

UpstateAg said:

ROKU trying to rebound.
Bounced off that 43.50 line just like in late July/early August...hope it can hold as resistance this time as well
It's down over 25 % in 2 days after BEATING earnings.
First Page Last Page
Page 291 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.