Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,057,512 Views | 231702 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
59 South
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
topher06 said:

Anyone else feel like the people who have been predicting a pullback since spy300 are just upset they've sat in cash this whole time? Or even worse... puts.

Yup. Why anyone fights the trend up or down blows my mind
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
p-townag
AG
59 South said:

topher06 said:

Anyone else feel like the people who have been predicting a pullback since spy300 are just upset they've sat in cash this whole time? Or even worse... puts.

Yup. Why anyone fights the trend up or down blows my mind

Agreed. The only constant the stock market has shown since it's inception is stable long term growth despite short term volatility.

That COULD change, I guess, but anything besides the constant buying and holding of stocks and index funds is an expensive gamble in my opinion.
MaroonDynasty
I have had a small position in CBAY for a month and noticed that they filed a confidential treatment order with the SEC, do any of you have an idea of why they would do that?

Thanks in advance.
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

ETSY is on sale. Hoping into some 9/18 verticals.
what makes you think this isn't just trying to catch a falling knife?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This week was a pretty good week. Exited FB and Microsoft too early, and escaped AAPL with a small loss. Overall, can't complain.
Ragoo
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

This week was a pretty good week. Exited FB and Microsoft too early, and escaped AAPL with a small loss. Overall, can't complain.
two things I learned this week:
1) be patient with entry
2) enter with the intent to hold thru expiration
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I had set a trailing stop for a couple of these that were firmly in profit and closing in on my target while I couldn't monitor for the entire trading day. I set the stop too tightly and I ended up getting ejected. I may just not set stops and be willing to risk 100%.
Ragoo
AG
I am trading vertical spreads. So the real money comes in the theta decay on Friday. It is tough not to just take the 50% max profit winner at close on Thursday though.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I am there on NVDA and ZM at the moment. Both sides are ITM but the collective package is worth nothing while you wait for decay. In hindsight, I'm asking myself why I didn't just stick with one leg.
Ragoo
AG
One legs use more capital and risk. The vertical allows me to get into the trade for the same number of contracts at a lower cost and therefore more confidence to let the trade play out. Very happy to hit Singles, doubles and triples and not trying to hit grand slams only to strikeout.

I am usually buying at the money, even in the money so I am buying intrinsic value and less time value.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Man this is exactly what I've been struggling with lately. I've only been doing vertical spreads a couple weeks and i feel like when they win they blow through my sold call strike and I'd have been way better off just buying a call, i have to keep reminding myself that preservation of capital is the name of the game and I'm running a marathon not a sprint. Spreads vs yolos trying to beat myself into being a smarter investor

Who's selling crwd 120 weekly puts with me on Monday!?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Ragoo said:

One legs use more capital and risk. The vertical allows me to get into the trade for the same number of contracts at a lower cost and therefore more confidence to let the trade play out. Very happy to hit Singles, doubles and triples and not trying to hit grand slams only to strikeout.

I am usually buying at the money, even in the money so I am buying intrinsic value and less time value.
Of course. I don't go for home runs, but they occasionally happen. I occasionally also lay the goose egg, and it sucks, but it's normally from a news event or something beyond my control. Sometimes I screw up and forget to roll something or hold too long when theta decay sets in. I set targets to scale in and scale out. To your strategy, it is easy to set it and forget it for max gain.

Unfortunately, when my normal work routine starts again post COVID, I won't be able to do anything but once a day monitoring. This is more of a problem where I don't want to get assigned. I do not want to inadvertently buy (or sell) 100 shares of Amazon. Strategy has to match what you have time for.
I bleed maroon
AG
I did well on two SPXL strangles this week. I unwind them piecemeal, so it's too early to evaluate results, but I'll be a decent bit ahead on both sets.
Bretton Gekko
The Fed must create inflation to 'outgrow' the massive debt this economy just took on. With that will come a new set of problems. They've now abandoned full employment initiative (because they can't bring back many of the jobs lost( and are going all in on inflation (because they have to).

AAPL's market cap is nearly 100% is the Russel. Market cap to DGP is highest modern reading ever, by far. Forward PE is about to break dot com levels. We are having 1% intraday movements at ATH levels. VIX is is at its highest level while at ATHs since before dotcom era.

This won't end well. This time is not different.
KT 90
AG

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
So how do we play it? It's not a bear market where we short all rips (is it?!), vix keeps climbing so tough/expensive to buy tvix or vxx calls. Do we just go heavy gold/silver/bitcoin?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
NRD09 said:

So how do we play it? It's not a bear market where we short all rips (is it?!), vix keeps climbing so tough/expensive to buy tvix or vxx calls. Do we just go heavy gold/silver/bitcoin?

The Vix is not high. I paid $500 for 5 VXX 27C this week.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ok maybe i need to reevaluate, vix goes flat for a couple days and i buy vxx calls, sell for an easy double on the inevitable spy btfd/vix spike, rinse repeat, but i need to remember when i bailed on tvix at like $40 and it promptly ran up to $1k. Maybe i need to start averaging into tvix again then not bail at the first little pop, if the big reckoning is really coming
ProgN
NRD09 said:

Go with OA 1/2021 $8 SPXS calls. They're cheaper and a good hedge.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
If you want a dose of reality, take a look at the SPX/NDX weekly and monthly charts, or even the daily. We are a staggering distance away from the 5EMA and 21 EMA. For Nasdaq, on the daily, a 21 EMA reconnect is a 600 point dump.

We haven't had a red candle on the weekly in over 4 months. If you look at the recent historicals, 5 months tends to be the upper maximum before some type of sell-off happens. I don't think this is going to persist another 3 months before there is some type of pull back.
Maedan86
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

KT 90 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

MARA on a nice run but she's got a lot a ground to make up...

Are we expecting this to eventually get back to the $4 to $5 range where it had been? Or just a lotto stock and who knows?

I got in when it was cheap and went net free on the runup to $5+ previously. Then actually added a little more before ti took a plunge.

I am hanging on to try and recovery my losses. I didn't get in that cheap...

I got back in today....hoping that BTC climbs back to 12K
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Awesome thanks guys
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

ETSY is on sale. Hoping into some 9/18 verticals.
what makes you think this isn't just trying to catch a falling knife?

I might be.

But I like how each time the weekly chart comes back to the 8wk ema it runs from it. It touched off this week.
FishrCoAg
AG
Looking for ROKU advice. Own it at 98, with 9/18 strike 130 calls sold against it. Buy them back and take the loss, roll them out, or ??
Ragoo
AG
I have mine cover at $160 out to 9/18/2022. Got me $50+ in premium. Basically banked a yearly return on the shares with the premium. Don't need to worry about the stock. Break even in $210 or so.
Rice and Fries
$30,000 Millionaire said:

If you want a dose of reality, take a look at the SPX/NDX weekly and monthly charts, or even the daily. We are a staggering distance away from the 5EMA and 21 EMA. For Nasdaq, on the daily, a 21 EMA reconnect is a 600 point dump.

We haven't had a red candle on the weekly in over 4 months. If you look at the recent historicals, 5 months tends to be the upper maximum before some type of sell-off happens. I don't think this is going to persist another 3 months before there is some type of pull back.

Not with the election around the corner. That's going to cause blips for sure.
Bretton Gekko
The inflation initiative will force cash into the market (tons of cash has been on the sidelines). Everything is going to keep getting more expensive.

BTFD, at least until the mortgage deferments and bail outs start to expire.
wanderer
aggiedaniel06 said:

For all you budding butterflies.

Highest Gamma for AAPL 8/28 expiry

SPY 350
MSFT 225

FYI:
APPL closed at 499.23
SPY closed at 350.58
MSFT closed at 228.91

Is it always this easy to pin?? I'm going to guess no, but that's some really interesting data.
McInnis 03
AG
wanderer said:

aggiedaniel06 said:

For all you budding butterflies.

Highest Gamma for AAPL 8/28 expiry

SPY 350
MSFT 225

FYI:
APPL closed at 499.23
SPY closed at 350.58
MSFT closed at 228.91

Is it always this easy to pin?? I'm going to guess no, but that's some really interesting data.

Aapl at the close was algo chaos. They wanted 500 or just below
Brewmaster
AG
topher06 said:

Yeah, don't fight the trend. However with vix curling up still, multiple days in a row, it's not a question of if we pullback, but when...and if I post something that suggests a pullback, it is a kind reminder to all here to hedge.
As HP says, volatility is cheap (cheap hedge). SPXS calls work too.

Instead of losing money on a pullback, how bout we make some - Yes please moar!
Brewmaster
AG
HustlerAggie
BREwmaster said:

topher06 said:

Yeah, don't fight the trend. However with vix curling up still, multiple days in a row, it's not a question of if we pullback, but when...and if I post something that suggests a pullback, it is a kind reminder to all here to hedge.
As HP says, volatility is cheap (cheap hedge). SPXS calls work too.

Instead of losing money on a pullback, how bout we make some - Yes please moar!
Yeah, VIX curve and SKEW both looking really bad. I pulled back significantly at close on Thursday. Missed some gains on Friday, but it was worth it to be largely out and safe. Especially wasn't going to leave it in there heading into the weekend.

Threw some at UVXY just in case.
Hustle Harder
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BREwmaster said:

Should those of us holding a lot of OSTK be concerned?
backintexas2013
AG
Possibly this?

It's old news but it was retweeted so just guessing
Brewmaster
AG
Marc says in the thread he's very bullish on the whole $OSTK tree. The next shoe to drop is more brokers carrying $OSTKO and $TZROP... along with SEC approval. He's hinting at something big that most folks aren't privy to - no idea what, but very bullish.
First Page Last Page
Page 2103 of 6621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.