Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,269,170 Views | 225230 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by agdaddy04
pfo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do we have any gamers on the board who have insight into the best electronic gaming companies to invest in now?

This week's Barron's headline story is about gaming, including it moving into the cloud, faster streaming speeds, esports and how buying "in game" features adds meaningfully to the bottom line of the companies that own the game.

I would appreciate the board's thoughts, insights and recommendations.

Thank you
leoj
AG
EA and Activision/Blizzard are the two largest gaming companies.
Bonfire1996
AG
TTWO
Take two interactive is the hot name now and will be for a while. They have a major game coming out in a couple months that has been anticipated for nearly five years. But I wouldn't focus on the game makers, they will be hit or miss.

The hardware producers will be where it's at. Sony and Nvidia will be two of the biggest winners long term from video game revenue.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Yeah, games are largely used to sell consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, etc), so I think betting on that is safer than better on a particular game.
leoj
AG
Yes, but smaller parts of their total revenue are for gaming systems so you have to think about the other segments of their business as well. Then for cloud and streaming Amazon owns twitch, so gaming related business is a drop in the bucket as far as the valuation of the whole company.
tailgatetimer10
AG
AMD builds processors for Xbox, PlayStation, gaming PCs and now coming up on the server world if you're wanting to go that route
pfo
AG
I really appreciate yalls thoughts and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

This Barron's article predicts gaming moves to the cloud with streaming and also predicts this will hurt hardware makers.

Do any of y'all have any favorite games you play and maybe buy "in game" weapons etc. for?

Maybe buying a small basket of Tencent, Take Two, Activision and EA Sports would be the way to go.

Does anybody here think gaming gets less popular or more popular in the future?

While typing this I got to thinking that if somebody started a college league it might be big! Would y'all watch the Aggies beat the sips in esports?
Joseph Parrish
AG
pfo said:

I really appreciate yalls thoughts and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

This Barron's article predicts gaming moves to the cloud with streaming and also predicts this will hurt hardware makers.

Do any of y'all have any favorite games you play and maybe buy "in game" weapons etc. for?

Maybe buying a small basket of Tencent, Take Two, Activision and EA Sports would be the way to go.

Does anybody here think gaming gets less popular or more popular in the future?

While typing this I got to thinking that if somebody started a college league it might be big! Would y'all watch the Aggies beat the sips in esports?

Don't forget to look at mobile gaming. Everybody's got a cell phone.
TheVarian
AG
PUBG/Fortnite
leoj
AG
Just read a couple articles on MOMO, anyone else taken a look? China social media in the streaming/online dating space. Low forward PE for a growth stock.
gougler08
AG
Green again this morning
gougler08
AG
NFLX up another 2.5% premarket
Ranger222
AG
I don't think you could go wrong with a basket of EA/ATVI/TTWO for the future. Each are a little different and have their own nice qualities about them. EA is interesting in the fact that I have read a lot of rumors about a potential buyout from Microsoft. I personally like ATVI the best as they have huge brands like Call of Duty and Overwatch, both of which are entering that competitive gaming space, but they also have brands like Candy Crush and numerous other mobile games that drive profit from in-game purchases. Take Two on the other hand puts out just stellar projects like NBA 2K every year as well as Grand Theft Auto and this fall Red Dead Redemption. Even 5 years after its release, GTA is TTWO's biggest money maker from their ability to increase the lifespan of the title and letting online gameplay continue to be a money maker for them.

Yes there is also the hardware play -- take a look at HEAR
leoj
AG
I feel like a broken record but dear god amd.
Aggie09Derek
AG
aggielax48
AG
What's the thought on CRON? I've doubled, thinking I might sell half and ride it out. But my position isn't that big so torn on gambling.
CDub06
AG
Are y'all gobbling up more shares of BBOX at this discount?
gougler08
AG
EXEL seems to be hitting resistance around 18.25, need that to break through for my call and for OA put sale

If TWTR can settle over the upper resistance it was hitting (around 34.65) then it could be prime for a break out this week

JD once again off that lower 31 resistance line on Friday and bounces 3% today
ProgN
Does anyone else think we might sell off on profit taking after the NAFTA announcement? The markets may have already priced it in and the indexes have had a nice 4-5 days. Thoughts?
gougler08
AG
We've bucked the wave trend it seems, but filling the gap back down from today probably makes sense
leoj
AG
I know most people in this thread are of the opinion you never hurt yourself taking profits on options. But looking at amd and possibly being up almost 400% when I got out at 60% is making me want to grab a six pack
IrishTxAggie
AG
Well i guess it will be Natty instead of Shiner now...
gougler08
leoj
AG
Lol. Insult to injury
Ranger222
AG
Prognightmare said:

Does anyone else think we might sell off on profit taking after the NAFTA announcement? The markets may have already priced it in and the indexes have had a nice 4-5 days. Thoughts?
Yes, I've looked in most of my profits this morning. Preparing for a (healthy) market pullback.

This is what I see -- SPY extended at the top of this channel. Of course we could keep going, but my thought is we base for a bit before continuing higher.

One note of optimism -- a lot of the hedgies are returning to work this week and next from summer vacation. Most of the hedge funds are ~ -1% on the year from what I have read. They could push this up to make up some ground.

gougler08
AG
Or TWTR will just run today...
ProgN
Thanks Ranger
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I just took a good bit of BBOX at $1.22. Willing to turn it quick on a spike or hold for a while. But I'm in either way.
pfo
AG
TWTR's 50 Day moving average is 36.60, so a close over that with big volume would be a technical buy.
pfo
AG
Thanks for the board's recommendations on gaming stocks. I bought Tencent. China has put a lid on online gaming which hurts Tencent and has hurt the stock. But i'm guessing it won't be that way forever and Tencent serves what will be the biggest population on the planet and their affluence is rapidly growing. It is not a technical buy.

Activision Blizzard appears to be the best company but it's so damn expensive. Take Two (TTWO) looks the best technically and I'm thinking about adding a small position in it.

Thanks again to the board.
PPAag06
AG
Anybody have access to Pacer Monitor and want to read through a case for me? I'm expecting something large out of it and will welcome a phone call to discuss. PM me.
gougler08
AG
NFLX has given it all back
UpstateAg
AG
So has DBX. It's the same every day: pre-lunch green, the market eats at Chipotle, and just craps all over itself back to where it started.
ProgN
IMO, the markets are about to reverse on profit taking.
ToddyHill
AG
I'm not a gamer, but in my opinion, owning NVDA would qualify.
First Page Last Page
Page 203 of 6436

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.