Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,076,528 Views | 224428 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by El_duderino
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is it that BBOX puts out good news and it's bck under to where it was last week?
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Trying to sell $17 EXEL naked Puts at $0.45. Checked 10 for temperature interest down to 42 cents and got filled. Want $0.45 but need it to lose $18 on early market negativity.
I went ahead and bought a $21 EXEL call for Oct 19th for $0.45
leoj
AG
Tgt
oldarmy1
AG
gougler08 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Trying to sell $17 EXEL naked Puts at $0.45. Checked 10 for temperature interest down to 42 cents and got filled. Want $0.45 but need it to lose $18 on early market negativity.
I went ahead and bought a $21 EXEL call for Oct 19th for $0.45

I got 27 Puts sold at the $0.45 and then the early temp check 10 at 42 cents.
oldarmy1
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

How is it that BBOX puts out good news and it's bck under to where it was last week?

Short sellers saw lack of volume and momentum on news and piled on. That's why it just stair-stepped all the way down. News good but majority of it is still in the "show me" phase. Shorts also know its 3 months until next quarterly so it would take a surprise announcement on something like that large contract expanding to move ot with any volume.

They still need to bust a quarter under their new strategy.
BT1395
AG
Hoping you options geniuses can help out a novice...

I own 125 shares of Lowe's (LOW) which just popped today on a decent earnings report. I'm not as optimistic about their future as some are and wouldn't mind selling now, but am also ok to hold for a bit (don't think it's going to drop significantly). It is currently trading at $107.

Should I sell a covered call contract that I would be happy selling at if called? For example, a Jan 18, 2019 Call @ $110 is going for $5.00. I would be happy to pocket the $500 and give someone the right to buy my shares @ $110 if they exercise. If they don't and the shares drop to say $90, then at least I softened the blow a bit. Am I looking at this right? Or is there a better way to play this?

Many thanks for the insight and help!
Ragoo
AG
BT1395 said:

I own 125 shares of Lowe's (LOW) which just popped today on a decent earnings report. I'm not as optimistic about their future as some are and wouldn't mind selling now, but am also ok to hold for a bit (don't think it's going to drop significantly). It is currently trading at $107.

Should I sell a covered call contract that I would be happy selling at if called? For example, a Jan 18, 2019 Call @ $110 is going for $5.00. I would be happy to pocket the $500 and give someone the right to buy my shares @ $110 if they exercise. If they don't and the shares drop to say $90, then at least I softened the blow a bit. Am I looking at this right? Or is there a better way to play this?

is the 149 days worth $1,000 of upside and infinite risk? Is the $1,000 upside worth buying puts to reduce your risk making the difference $750 or so?
BT1395
AG
Ragoo said:

BT1395 said:

is the 149 days worth $1,000 of upside and infinite risk? Is the $1,000 upside worth buying puts to reduce your risk making the difference $750 or so?
Sadly, I'm already lost...

Are you asking if the proceeds I would receive from selling the call ($500) are worth it for me to forego any potential upside beyond the strike price (i.e. if the stock flies up to $200 for some reason and I miss the party)? If that's what you're asking, then I'm ok with that because I don't see it running that hot anytime soon.

Is that the risk you're referring to?
Ragoo
AG
The risk is if the price drops in price. The upside would be capped at $110 +$5 per share. Are you willing to tie up your $13000 for 150 days for the potential of $1000? Other option is sell today and put the money somewhere else.
UpstateAg
AG
Selling a covered call is not unlimited risk. His risk is limited: the stock goes to 0, he loses the stock price but at least gains the premium. If the stock price at expiration is below his strike price, then it expires worthless and he gains the premium.
UpstateAg
AG
If you don't sitting on your hands and waiting until expiration, it's a great way to reduce your average price/share, or make a profit that you'd find acceptable (based on your strike price).
Ragoo
AG
UpstateAg said:

Selling a covered call is not unlimited risk. His risk is limited: the stock goes to 0, he loses the stock price but at least gains the premium. If the stock price at expiration is below his strike price, then it expires worthless and he gains the premium.
i know how the covered call works. I used the words I did to illustrate that the downside risk is greater than the upside gain. Is the limited gain worth the downside risk?

I am not selling covered positions out 150 days.
Ragoo
AG
UpstateAg said:

If you don't sitting on your hands and waiting until expiration, it's a great way to reduce your average price/share, or make a profit that you'd find acceptable (based on your strike price).
he call sell the same option out 4 weeks, collect $1/share and repeat every month, or slide with the movement of the stock instead of locking in for that long of a duration.
pfo
AG
Our markets are giving the middle finger to Mueller and the democrats!

leoj
AG
If anyone wants to check out a quality company on sale right now because of the trade issues, LEA is down 5%.

JD dropping
gougler08
AG
leoj said:

If anyone wants to check out a quality company on sale right now because of the trade issues, LEA is down 5%.

JD dropping

I'm just not biding my time til it goes below $32 to pick up some calls or buy more shares
UpstateAg
AG
Jd leaps were 1.30 last week
leoj
AG
You read the article in the New Yorker on JD? I'm probably just going to start a long position now and sit back for the next 5-10 years. Chinese middle class growth is going to be insane.
gougler08
AG
leoj said:

You read the article in the New Yorker on JD? I'm probably just going to start a long position now and sit back for the next 5-10 years. Chinese middle class growth is going to be insane.
Didn't read the article, but I'm long on JD and will probably just use this as an opportunity to lower my cost base some more
BT1395
AG
Many thanks for the help and thoughts!
beerad12man
AG
So in layman's terms for Bbox. Sell now, buy before the next quarter?
gougler08
AG
leoj said:

Really cool article and just has me buying in more on JD...went ahead and just scooped up some more shares now
oldarmy1
AG
beerad12man said:

So in layman's terms for Bbox. Sell now, buy before the next quarter?

If you have small positions its dealers choice. Only thing is if news of expanding the large contract hits then that would have lasting pop versus the pump and dump we saw.

Think its oversold right here and should have at least a bounce move back to $1.70 area. And everyone knows my play when buying more down here to sell on bounce. My long holdings are now at a $0.92 cents mark. I need a couple more good bounces and I'll have a net free holding.

On these small ones you should always have your target core holdings and your tradeable holdings that reduce net share price.

As posted I've used a combination of that and selling covered calls in my quest for net free status.
Gator2_01
AG
If you wanted to try the covered call, I'd sell the Oct19 110C for $1.65 and set a GTC close order for $0.80. If you get called out you win, if you buy-to-close the option at half price you resell the 30 delta call 45-60 days out.

edit: verbiage
beerad12man
AG
Thanks! Very appreciated.
leoj
AG
My thoughts exactly.
BT1395
AG
Thanks, Gator!
oldarmy1
AG
One of you chip gurus talk to me about AMAT.

Technicals on chart are saying caution for a breakdown after 3 days bounce off $43 area and now 4th day closing low at $43.

Not a breakdown if course...yet. So is it a buy or sell? Would you buy a $41 Aug 31 Put in case it breaks down? You know how fast initial drops can be when losing support. 15 cents is cheap if it breaks down.

Its also a cheap backstop if I enter shares. We have 7 red candles. Largest volume 8/17 was a failed reversal attempt. Another negative technical.

So talk fundamentals to me. Buy or Sell?
oldarmy1
AG
Anyone get in on GLD and GG 8/16 post? GLD up over $2 from entry. GG up 55 cents.

Would it be worthwhile to have a "pound the table" trade post on stocks I'm trading as quick swings?

I mean I don't know what else I could do with DBX coverage as it was basing around $27. A $1.50 move on a $27 buy beats the S&P this year. Not a bad 3-4 day trade.

News yesterday killed its momentum and I exited calls and sold $27 covered calls against the traded shares in case post IPO lock-up creates the typical volatility.

Someone PM'd me about impact of lockup. There is no hard rule but this article is timely for anyone in it or who wants to watch it tomorrow for potential entry on a volatile spike down.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4201042-dropbox-inc-play-lockup-expiration
oldarmy1
AG
RRTS news. I had asked the CFO if they had any options lining up for restructuring their debt now that they are showing a $2B yearly revenue track. He said there was a potential group who has been buying into the company stock and that might be fruitful.

Well they signed an official NDA to receive all numbers. RRTS has the revenue and is positioned well. They need to get on top of their debt now. If this develops into an offered plan get ready.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1164105/000110465918053207/0001104659-18-053207-index.htm
gougler08
AG
I love that OA has enough clout to just chat with the CFO
Señor Chang
AG
If I understand correctly, they are planning to issue new equity to pay down debt?
oldarmy1
AG
gougler08 said:

I love that OA has enough clout to just chat with the CFO

Took 13 days first time. It ain't a red carpet most times.
oldarmy1
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

gougler08 said:

Also, did SN finally find its bottom at 2.40?
That's about where I bought more shares.

Now Joseph. Did you sell a chunk at $2.90.

Joseph and I chatted when it hit $2.40 and he bought a wad there. My input was to buy it there and sell it at $2.90.

These are additional shares not his core. At any rate 50 cents on $2.40 in 4 days is heavenly gift level success.
Joseph Parrish
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Joseph Parrish said:

gougler08 said:

Also, did SN finally find its bottom at 2.40?
That's about where I bought more shares.

Now Joseph. Did you sell a chunk at $2.90.

Joseph and I chatted when it hit $2.40 and he bought a wad there. My input was to buy it there and sell it at $2.90.

These are additional shares not his core. At any rate 50 cents on $2.40 in 4 days is heavenly gift level success.
Yeah, it definitely helped the hit from the free fall earlier.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.