Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,062,659 Views | 224390 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by McInnis 03
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aston04 said:

Prognightmare said:

Trump says he will ban TikTok through executive action as soon as Saturday

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/trump-says-he-will-ban-tiktok-through-executive-action-as-soon-as-saturday.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard
and Facebook is coming out with a copy of it .. starting to skyrocket ..
I trust Zuck about as much as I trust the CCP.
jj9000
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Be careful. Market is very extended. 160%+ market cap to GDP.

The biggest bubble in history.

Mindful advice in your post.

What has happened to every other bubble in history, going back to Tulips?

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Why is that a bad metric? I think Warren Buffet uses it. Some of these tech companies are way over their 200MA. Q2 P/E is going to be really high when all the results are in.
McInnis 03
AG
MSFT buying tiktok?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Grown Pear
AG
I have been slowly starting to get a little FOMO sitting on about 35% cash. But our country is in a much more "open" environment than it has been and I keep seeing places deserted and empty. Tech may be doing great but from your other everyday companies I do not think these 3rd Qtr earnings will be the hopeful improvement many are expecting.
ProgN
Next earnings period is October and the election looms after that, so October could be really dicey.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Grown Pear said:

I have been slowly starting to get a little FOMO sitting on about 35% cash. But our country is in a much more "open" environment than it has been and I keep seeing places deserted and empty. Tech may be doing great but from your other everyday companies I do not think these 3rd Qtr earnings will be the hopeful improvement many are expecting.
I keep saying this but it will eventually impact tech. There could be a general anti trust fear when it becomes apparent Democrats will win house, senate, White House.

Microsoft - B2B
Apple - reliant on consumer. All their growth was Mac and iPad. Will that continue?
Google - advertising
Facebook - advertising
Netflix - need new content eventually
Amazon - unstoppable, only risk is anti trust.

The non FANG stocks actually benefit the most.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
ACHV had a 20:1 reverse split so it wasn't actually up 2000%.
gvine07
AG
https://www.statista.com/chart/9218/apples-services-revenue/?utm_source=Statista+Global&utm_campaign=bed8c5a1e7-All_InfographTicker_daily_COM_PM_KW27_2020_Th_COPY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_afecd219f5-bed8c5a1e7-303265949

Apple's services business is growing. Apple Music has a nice growth curve.

But I would expect products to go down with the economy. Still much bigger than services.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Kudos to AAPL for diversifying. I am a shareholder since 2007. I bought my first tranch sub $100 before the original split, if you can believe that!

I think they're over extended at current prices.
Philip J Fry
AG
jj9000 said:

Can you tell me when it'll burst? Should I sell all my stock now and buy gold until then?
Proposition Joe
I mean none of us know for sure (except maybe oldarmy1), but i dont see how anyone predicts this market wont continually be propped up until November.

Not wanting this to turn political, but I think the status of people's 401Ks is the biggest feather still in the President's cap and he'll be damned if he doesnt inject that horse full of PEDs even if it means a post-November collapse.
WoMD

Kudos to AAPL for diversifying. I am a shareholder since 2007. I bought my first tranch sub $100 before the original split, if you can believe that!

Absolutely. Another thought, perhaps incorrect, is that if they're doing this well right now while considered relatively stagnant on product sales, they should have plenty of room for growth down the line once they release some of their big projects within the next few years that aren't named iPhone. Assuming one of these (augmented reality, glasses, and the biggest being the Apple car project), hits big then who's to say the limit? If they get a foothold into even one of these areas, and they see any sort of success with it, then I can't see this train slowing down. With apples reputation, and ability to fund stupidly huge projects, I could see their car project (even though little is actually known about it with certainty) being bigger than anything they currently offer. For instance, what if they try to out-Tesla Tesla in terms of turning the automotive industry upside down, and create a better self driving technology than currently exists? Thoughts?

Or maybe their secretive car project will just turn out to be a smart cup holder. It really could go either way.
khaos288
AG
WoMD said:

Absolutely. Another thought, perhaps incorrect, is that if they're doing this well right now while considered relatively stagnant on product sales, they should have plenty of room for growth down the line once they release some of their big projects within the next few years that aren't named iPhone. Assuming one of these (augmented reality, glasses, and the biggest being the Apple car project), hits big then who's to say the limit? If they get a foothold into even one of these areas, and they see any sort of success with it, then I can't see this train slowing down. With apples reputation, and ability to fund stupidly huge projects, I could see their car project (even though little is actually known about it with certainty) being bigger than anything they currently offer. For instance, what if they try to out-Tesla Tesla in terms of turning the automotive industry upside down, and create a better self driving technology than currently exists? Thoughts?

Or maybe their secretive car project will just turn out to be a smart cup holder. It really could go either way.

Boutique Apple cars would be an insane growth opportunity for them. I could easily see their design team making a very hyped and well executed product. 100% electric, and as futuristic as possible. They could really fly.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Lol ya thats why I edited. I misread it waking up this morning. Good catch though!
WoMD
khaos288 said:

WoMD said:

Boutique Apple cars would be an insane growth opportunity for them. I could easily see their design team making a very hyped and well executed product. 100% electric, and as futuristic as possible. They could really fly.

Exactly. And they always take existing ideas, but then make them into the best, and market them as if no other options come close. Throw their label on it, and it won't matter what it will cost. It will be a status symbol, like the iphones first were, and what Tesla currently is.

I admit, I'd buy one if it's well executed. Maybe sell some of this Apple stock to pay for it in cash after it doubles again...
khaos288
AG
WoMD said:

khaos288 said:

WoMD said:

Exactly. And they always take existing ideas, but then make them into the best, and market them as if no other options come close. Throw their label on it, and it won't matter what it will cost. It will be a status symbol, like the iphones first were, and what Tesla currently is.

I admit, I'd buy one if it's well executed. Maybe sell some of this Apple stock to pay for it in cash after it doubles again...

Yep. If they take it on, it will be a success. They'll undoubtedly put tons of r&d and testing into it. As long as they realize cars need to marry practicality more than phones (I.e. battery life matters way more when you can get stranded bc of it), then they'll have tons of success.

And like you said, it'll be a status symbol. Tons of people with Tesla's or Porsche suvs would buy one in a heart beat. There's a huge market for them.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
My #1 concern with Apple is innovation.
txaggie_08
AG
Philip J Fry said:

jj9000 said:

Can you tell me when it'll burst? Should I sell all my stock now and buy gold until then?

If this is serious, no one can tell you that. Especially in this climate. There's so much manipulation going on with the virus and an election upcoming it's hard to know where the market is headed. The Fed seems unwilling to allow it to fall much at all, and Tech seems to continue to lead the way.
jj9000
AG
Philip J Fry said:

jj9000 said:

I suppose you could if you chose to.

Or, you could start excessively purchasing on margin, and I'll remind you when it bursts.

It's your money.
Cartographer
So apple will deliver the flying car? Count me in.
WoMD
panduh bear said:

So apple will deliver the flying car? Count me in.

And we would've had it already if not for that damn covid. Now we have to wait until 2021.

Worst year ever!
Philip J Fry
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Philip J Fry said:

jj9000 said:

If this is serious, no one can tell you that. Especially in this climate. There's so much manipulation going on with the virus and an election upcoming it's hard to know where the market is headed. The Fed seems unwilling to allow it to fall much at all, and Tech seems to continue to lead the way.

Somewhat serious. With all the fed pumping, one would think that something would have to give at some point. Curious to know how much liquidity a good strategy in this case is. I don't buy on margin either, just as a personal choice.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Nobody knows what will happen. I don't think the market should be where it is, yet it's here. Granted, that's because of like 5 stocks. Something curious happened on Friday, which is we closed up meaningfully with a low advance / decline rate. Most of the gains were concentrated in a handful of stocks. For the portion of my portfolio that I use for swing trades and speculating, I went flat at 2:30 on Friday. Yeah I missed out on a crazy FOMO rally into close, but so what.

Specific to Apple, my belief is that it will continue to run until market conditions indicate otherwise (election, China, currency concerns, fed eases support, whatever). The 4:1 split will suck in a lot of retail investors. Investors view Apple as worthy of their trust as a safe haven for retaining value. Until that changes, doubt we see much downward pressure. If you want to go long, do it, just set stops. If you want to play options, steal premium by selling puts.
McInnis 03
AG
BTC just popped $12k

Edit: my bad....it's at 119xx
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
AgsnFly
AG
jj9000 said:

This is the biggest bubble in history? Your joking right. The Dutch Tulip bubble saw 99% loss in asset value. Then there is the Japan real estate in the 80s and the Nikkei crash. The dot com bubble burst resulted in a 80% decline in the Nasdaq. The US housing crash. And there are more.
Today 52% of the SPX is trading above their 200d moving average and 72% for the NDX. This is not extreme. Forward multiples are definitely expanded but investors are paying for strong growth and the companies that are helping drive the indexes higher are indeed delivering.
This market could see a healthy retracement on really bad news but the biggest bubble ever? That would require the mother of all black swans.
fooz
McInnis 03 said:

BTC just popped $12k

Edit: my bad....it's at 119xx
I need it to pull back before it runs so I can get back in MARA.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Maybe I should ask on CRYPTO also, but if MARA is riding the mining coattails of Bitcoin, what entity is riding the mining coattails of Ethereum? Wouldn't that have similar results and maybe a more efficient/affordable buy in since MARA is probably opening up above $3 Monday morning?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
AgsnFly said:

jj9000 said:

This is the biggest bubble in history? Your joking right. The Dutch Tulip bubble saw 99% loss in asset value. Then there is the Japan real estate in the 80s and the Nikkei crash. The dot com bubble burst resulted in a 80% decline in the Nasdaq. The US housing crash. And there are more.
Today 52% of the SPX is trading above their 200d moving average and 72% for the NDX. This is not extreme. Forward multiples are definitely expanded but investors are paying for strong growth and the companies that are helping drive the indexes higher are indeed delivering.
This market could see a healthy retracement on really bad news but the biggest bubble ever? That would require the mother of all black swans.

Three Gorges Dam in China....
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Maybe I should ask on CRYPTO also, but if MARA is riding the mining coattails of Bitcoin, what entity is riding the mining coattails of Ethereum? Wouldn't that have similar results and maybe a more efficient/affordable buy in since MARA is probably opening up above $3 Monday morning?
I think I spoke too soon. Looks like there's a bit of a sell off going on with Crypto rn. Hopefully just a small set back *fingers crossed*.
Philip J Fry
AG
Thoughts on RADA?

Still getting my feet wet in technical trading, but doesn't this mean it's potentially near a breakout?
TecRecAg
AG
It's late so I don't want to research but really curious what they did at the beginning of the year to warrant that volume, relatively.

Looks like it hates 6.75. If you see a close above that, might be good to hop on board.

Are you wanting shares or options?
Philip J Fry
AG
Shares at this point.
McInnis 03
AG
From $12k to $11k in the same session. Btc is volatile

B&I Key:
First Page Last Page
Page 1963 of 6412

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.