Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,107,217 Views | 224618 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
Bretton Gekko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am short ES tonight, looking for 3192 test. Unlikely again to see a breakout close tomorrow and more likely to see a test lower
ProgN
FunkyKO said:

Whoops hit reply to you. My bad

Nflx also protected 3q subscribers on the way light side . Street was excepting 6.5 million subscribers while nflx said 2.5 million.

That is why it's dropping. They exploded with eyeballs due to stay at home but that has dissipated. Like mentioned by 30K M, you can't miss on any metric with that kind of pe. The forecast of slower new subs will hurt them.
SMM48
AG
Could be a terrible sandbag.
jsap
McInnis 03 said:

The original purchase was a vertical spread long 300P, short 279P for September monthly expiry.

As SPY has jostled, it's been up, so the 279P has dropped significantly a couple times. When it gets to a point we've oscillated on (ie: SPY 322) I buy them back. Then I resell them when we take a dive. It's not super lucrative but it's a gain for me. I've done this 2 times. Right now I am waiting for a dive to sell them again.

I've kept the 300P the whole time as I can't sell naked puts without cash security due to this being in my ROTH IRA. Yes, the 300P's oscillate too, but the theta is very low right now with them being so far out. I'll make a decision on them in the coming weeks. If the PCall ratio gets back to .85 or so, I'll dump them, or if they double in price I'll dump them.

With all that being said, I'm probably not the best guy to be taking strategy from.
Thanks for the explanation. I think you're one of the more knowledgeable posters here.

So on your initial purchase, do you do two separate trades? A buy to open on 300p and a sell to open on 279p?

Could you also explain the .85 pcall ratio? I'm assuming .85 put call ratio means bearish sentiment which would raise your 300p premium?
SMM48
AG
Could choose cash settlement if available
Brewmaster
AG
Bretton Gekko said:

I am short ES tonight, looking for 3192 test. Unlikely again to see a breakout close tomorrow and more likely to see a test lower
thanks for posting. you sound like a certain poster that used to post here under different name? rhymes with hay?
you guys need to give up F16! she's like a really crazy girlfriend!
SMM48
AG
Jb hunt beat. Good sign
McInnis 03
AG
jeromePOWell said:

Paging McInnis -

Thinking about using this recent down tick to get some deals on some LEAP options, looking at NET - could get in the $40 Jan 21 C for $585, then sell calls over the next several months, the premium would pay you back the $585 pretty quickly taking a couple relatively safe out of the money sells over the life of the contract.

Does your brokerage have any specific language in their terms that if assigned they will exercise the LEAP to fill my assignment? My one concern is if it does go to the moon on me and the system doesn't have logic built in I'd want to have a lot of cash sitting in there for assignment insurance.

Care to join me for the ride?

On an exercise I believe you have three days to resolve the claim so you can choose how you resolve your obligations.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
McInnis 03
AG
jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

The original purchase was a vertical spread long 300P, short 279P for September monthly expiry.

As SPY has jostled, it's been up, so the 279P has dropped significantly a couple times. When it gets to a point we've oscillated on (ie: SPY 322) I buy them back. Then I resell them when we take a dive. It's not super lucrative but it's a gain for me. I've done this 2 times. Right now I am waiting for a dive to sell them again.

I've kept the 300P the whole time as I can't sell naked puts without cash security due to this being in my ROTH IRA. Yes, the 300P's oscillate too, but the theta is very low right now with them being so far out. I'll make a decision on them in the coming weeks. If the PCall ratio gets back to .85 or so, I'll dump them, or if they double in price I'll dump them.

With all that being said, I'm probably not the best guy to be taking strategy from.
Thanks for the explanation. I think you're one of the more knowledgeable posters here.

So on your initial purchase, do you do two separate trades? A buy to open on 300p and a sell to open on 279p?

Could you also explain the .85 pcall ratio? I'm assuming .85 put call ratio means bearish sentiment which would raise your 300p premium?

I got some numbers mixed on that in haste.

A) my opening transaction was to buy the 300/279 verticals in one transaction

B) I buy longer term (60-90 days) protection when 10day sma of pcall is .75 or less. Close when your value goes to your target (2x) or escape when pcall 10 day sma reaches > 1. (Those were my number mess ups)
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
Section B above is a work in progress due to the Fed being so disruptive

B&I Key:
Touchless
AG
How far out do you sell the $279s? If the $300s you bought are say September or October maybe, do you sell the $279s like a month out from expiration or so (ex. sell on 7/1 with expiration of 7/31)?

lol...nevermind. I should have read the next 10 posts or so first.
McInnis 03
AG
Touchless said:

How far out do you sell the $279s? If the $300s you bought are say September or October maybe, do you sell the $279s like a month out from expiration or so (ex. sell on 7/1 with expiration of 7/31)?

lol...nevermind. I should have read the next 10 posts or so first.

Same date. These are vertical spreads

B&I Key:
khaos288
AG
Do you guys prefer to sell weekly calls a few points above, or long term calls at a bigger strike?

I can make 2.82 on a 12/28 48c for xom, and cash the dividend. Or I could make .45 a week at a 2-3 dollar weekly strike.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
If I sell longer term calls I usually do it pretty far OTM. If nothing more than to avoid the daily mental ass kicking while you're sitting there with capital tied up watching ROKU ascend into equities heaven.
gougler08
AG
I'm more on the 1 week to 1 month range for most covered calls. If it explodes then I'll just roll it like I did with NIO last week
khaos288
AG
Nice. I think the weeklies are the way to go. Triple the premium, and that's enough to deal with the headache.
McInnis 03
AG
khaos288 said:

Do you guys prefer to sell weekly calls a few points above, or long term calls at a bigger strike?

I can make 2.82 on a 12/28 48c for xom, and cash the dividend. Or I could make .45 a week at a 2-3 dollar weekly strike.

With dividend stocks don't be surprised if you get exercised early if someone wants to snake your div

B&I Key:
Grown Pear
AG
khaos288 said:

For a stock like XOM I usually look at week of or a week out and personally go further out of the money if I'd prefer to hold the stock. I'm ok collecting a smaller premium (an example would be 0.10 for the 48 call next Friday. That would be a 10% rise in 6 days to get exercised. Not always how I go but that's the overall idea. I'm usually a decent bit otm and get .20-.30 per contract for a week out let's say. Plus the hopeful dividend and it really adds up
khaos288
AG
Grown Pear said:

khaos288 said:

For a stock like XOM I usually look at week of or a week out and personally go further out of the money if I'd prefer to hold the stock. I'm ok collecting a smaller premium (an example would be 0.10 for the 48 call next Friday. That would be a 10% rise in 6 days to get exercised. Not always how I go but that's the overall idea. I'm usually a decent bit otm and get .20-.30 per contract for a week out let's say. Plus the hopeful dividend and it really adds up

Yeah I think that's a good call. .10 every week is 520 a year, and in 100 shares that's 11.75% return yearly before mentioning dividend. That's almost 20% return with a very conservative holding.
Boat Shoes
AG
TecRecAg
AG
Locked and loaded.
AgEng06
AG
YOLO
Pignorant
AG
PTI July 17 covered calls expiring tomorrow.
gig em 02
Boat Shoes said:

whats the play here i need a 50,000 bagger
gougler08
AG
Pignorant said:

PTI July 17 covered calls expiring tomorrow.

And?
gougler08
AG
Seems like it would be to hop in early assuming no gap up and then have a real tight stop. I may gamble with 1 call
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Opex week. Could be interesting.
Ranger222
AG
Mentioned FEAC as an idea several months back...already 20% return on this and now rumors of what the acquisition might be...really interesting

TecRecAg
AG
What strike are you thinking? 1550 seems obtainable if it really is going to blow up.
AGSmith
AG
I sold my T 7/17 30c today. I got stopped out after it ran up today. Made 30% on my first true option trade
ProgN
Ranger, congrats on your move to tOSU. We wish you a very prosperous future. Don't forget about us and check in from time to time sir.
TecRecAg
AG
Bullish tweet of the night

AgsnFly
AG
YNWA_AG said:

What hedges do y'all have in place or looking at?

I almost always have puts on either the spx or ndx, for simplicity's sake (maybe several other names that protect very large gains and avoid large tax consequences if stopped out). I lean higher beta stocks so not the best hedge overall. I spend a lot of money on this protection which is realized as option trading losses and which are partially offset set via selling upside Vol. It is more painful in this current high Vol environment but over the long run it averages out. I try to think of many of my long term equity holdings as physical assets such as real estate and business interests, where I spend large sums of money buying insurance products. This comparison help me compartmentalize the trade as insurance vs speculation; where I never tolerate losses. Not sure this is useful to you or even the soundest approach but it helps me sleep more soundly.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Ranger222 said:

Mentioned FEAC as an idea several months back...already 20% return on this and now rumors of what the acquisition might be...really interesting

I like it. Got in just over 10 a couple months ago.

ETA: thanks for bringing the idea to the board when you did. I think it will turn out well!
Brewmaster
AG
gougler08 said:

Seems like it would be to hop in early assuming no gap up and then have a real tight stop. I may gamble with 1 call
watch it for a bit first... this is OPEX, after the last run, everyone and their grandmother wants to bank on a TSLA call. I highly doubt it runs tomorrow. They want to crush premium.
First Page Last Page
Page 1901 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.