Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,023,511 Views | 224209 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by ProgN
Rice and Fries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgEng06 said:

Rice and Fries said:

Just bought a longterm AMZN leap. Bezos take the wheel.
Which one? Premiums are crazy!
I went with $4500 strike. It's in my Roth, and I'm just gonna ride the wave up, with a strict stop loss set at $5750. I also own 5 shares of AMZN in the same account, so I sold two of those to help fund the purchase.

Edit: Guess it's not a leap, but its the Jan 2021 call
AGSmith
AG
What is considered to be a normal/tight trailing stop for an options trade?
AgEng06
AG
Got it. Any AMZN leap is wayyy too rich for my trading accounts.
TecRecAg
AG
I'm not sure I have the best answer for that. I rarely use trailing stops as I typically will only put them on when I buy something that expires the same day and I'm expecting a huge ramp up.

Normally I have a stop limit that I will manually change if the price starts to run up.
TecRecAg
AG
I'm in the same boat. Those leaps are insane. Well, maybe not insane as they will most likely make you money.
I bleed maroon
AG
AGSmith said:

What is considered to be a normal/tight trailing stop for an options trade?
That's a personal decision. If you have a position that's up 65% currently, you may want to ensure you gain at least 50%, so you set a stop (or trailing stop, which I prefer) at that price. If it never executes, you're still riding the upwave. However, it's a great tool to enforce trading discipline, and remove some emotion from the equation. I have found it works best if you place trailing stops on a portion of your position (half?).

Just food for thought.
I bleed maroon
AG
Oh - and with respect to your question on "how tight", I would say 10-15% is pretty tight for options, as they're traded pretty thinly.
TecRecAg
AG
Roulette play of the day..

PINS 7/10 25.5P.

Pray for me. Ha.
BIMS O1
AG
Made my first option trade and bought some ROKU $128 7/31 calls a week ago. Made 50% in a day and felt good. Now I am looking at those and seeing they are trading for what would have been a 500% gain or more. Oh well. Live and learn, and hard to be too upset with 50% positive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TecRecAg
AG
Congrats on profit! Never forget, profit is profit.

Don't let this situation foul you up. ROKU is a special beast that just seems to run and run. You won't have that with a lot of other tickers.

I would say, one thing to account for is time. 7/31 is a long ways out for options trading.
fightintxag13
AG
I love this idea, but I'm too lol poor to play with you.
Proposition Joe
McInnis 03 said:

#PennyStock

In at $0.019 out at $0.024 -- thanks McInnis!
mavsfan4ever
AG
In taxable accounts, how do y'all determine whether to keep stocks over a year or not. For instance, I'm up big on Amazon and Roku this year. I feel like I should just keep them for at least a year to get the lower tax rate because, on average, I'll make more from the better tax rate than selling when they are high and locking in profits.

Obviously, they could fall and do away with all of my profits before the end of the year. But in the long run, when factoring in all of the trades, I feel like keeping them over a year is the more +EV play.

Am I looking at anything wrong? This may be a better question for the swing trade thread.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

In taxable accounts, how do y'all determine whether to keep stocks over a year or not. For instance, I'm up big on Amazon and Roku this year. I feel like I should just keep them for at least a year to get the lower tax rate because, on average, I'll make more from the better tax rate than selling when they are high and locking in profits.

Obviously, they could fall and do away with all of my profits before the end of the year. But in the long run, when factoring in all of the trades, I feel like keeping them over a year is the more +EV play.

Am I looking at anything wrong? This may be a better question for the swing trade thread.
Just depends on your goals.

Personally I'm holding AMZN for as long as I can but that's because I don't have any use for the funds in the short term (<5 years). If you think you'll need the money from your brokerage account anytime in the near future (especially in the next calendar year), I can see the logic of taking the profits. Otherwise, why sell? What is stopping AMZN in the next 5 years? 10? 20? I'll be acquiring as much as I can for the foreseeable future.
TecRecAg
AG
Out already?! This is the next ZEST!

Ok maybe not. But I think I'm going to hold mine and see what happens.
TecRecAg
AG
If you're holding shares in AMZN or ROKU you should do nothing but buy dips. Don't sell. Ever.
59 South
AG
TecRecAg said:

If you're holding shares in AMZN or ROKU you should do nothing but buy dips. Don't sell. Ever.
Yep. I have AMZN in taxable and never plan to sell. I have way too much ROKU in non taxable retirement so I'll probably sell at least some at some point if it gets super extended above all time highs. But would buy it back on dips. I wouldn't sell if it was in taxable most likely. Just too much long term upside.
Bird Poo
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Try to go net free. Just sell what you put into your initial purchase and let the rest of the shares ride for the long term. You are only taxed on the profits. Great way to preserve capital and lower tax exposure.
HoustonAg2014
AG
TecRecAg said:

You are going to call me crazy but my whole retirement is riding on these 2 stocks. Wish I had the laugh/cry emoji.
cptthunder
Smart or not Im doing the same thing with my monthly gambling money on this one
HoustonAg2014
AG
AGSmith said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

I am so happy with Roku this week but also need it to take a lunch break and end the day at 159.99... I don't want to miss the train on this run... Sold calls at $160 after the initial move yesterday past $145 and it just can't stop won't stop.

I'm debating buying them back but its a 500% loss. Or I just hope it doesn't run too far on Monday and I can buy the shares back.
You could always roll the call out and up
See this is the stuff I need to learn... I think there is a roll button on Fidelity so I assume if I roll it I just do whatever price will cover my loss?

Ex. If my call is down $4k i would roll it forward and lets say next weeks 180 calls will pay me $4k so it will wash out?
gougler08
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

AGSmith said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

I am so happy with Roku this week but also need it to take a lunch break and end the day at 159.99... I don't want to miss the train on this run... Sold calls at $160 after the initial move yesterday past $145 and it just can't stop won't stop.

I'm debating buying them back but its a 500% loss. Or I just hope it doesn't run too far on Monday and I can buy the shares back.
See this is the stuff I need to learn... I think there is a roll button on Fidelity so I assume if I roll it I just do whatever price will cover my loss?

Ex. If my call is down $4k i would roll it forward and lets say next weeks 180 calls will pay me $4k so it will wash out?

Generally yes, but you are also getting $20 more per share in this instance so even if you only got $3k for the call next week, you'd still be way ahead
59 South
AG
Yo, ROKU (from 44) and NIO (from 4.66) were calculated max risk in my retirement accts and have now become by far my 2 largest holdings by dollar amount. I am letting them run because the upside is worth it imo and I have seen no technical reason to sell either. I'm mentally prepared for it if they retreat and I have to sell because I knew the risk and am ok with it. When the price action says to sell I will sell.
TecRecAg
AG
Sell a ROKU and buy you laugh/cry emoji.

Treat yo self.
TecRecAg
AG
Flat day. Out of everything daily. Next stop 7/17!

AMD 60C
SAVE 17.5C
T 30C

Grandparents have the kids and the wife is off today. I'm out! Y'all be safe!
HoustonAg2014
AG
59 South said:

Yo, ROKU (from 44) and NIO (from 4.66) were calculated max risk in my retirement accts and have now become by far my 2 largest holdings by dollar amount. I am letting them run because the upside is worth it imo and I have seen no technical reason to sell either. I'm mentally prepared for it if they retreat and I have to sell because I knew the risk and am ok with it. When the price action says to sell I will sell.
I LOVE hearing this. I've been called crazy and maybe I am. I went all in Amazon in my roth 27 shares average cost at $1,100 and buy any really big dips about 3 years ago... Roku is a new one for me as of Feb. but I have done a lot of research since and believe it will be a high flyer long term or get bought by someone to keep up in the streaming wars.

My mentality is I can swing to have a huge nest egg for retirement and have a shot to retire early or I can miss and... well I will probably work until I am dead. But I am 28 years old so I have 30-40 years to build back up so it was worth the risk for me.

Your charts have really given me confidence btw. I've believed in the product but to finally see some sort of technicals behind it is always settling.
HoustonAg2014
AG
gougler08 said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

AGSmith said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Generally yes, but you are also getting $20 more per share in this instance so even if you only got $3k for the call next week, you'd still be way ahead
Thank you that is exactly what I needed.
Mr President Elect
AG
Took a few weeks off after a bloodbath of a week and really making bad decisions (selling at lows and buying at highs). Awesome to open up my portfolio and see some BABA 240's and ROKU 130's and NIO stock.

Bought some PFE calls today, anything else the board is on that is at a good price? Just don't say MOMO.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Just depends on your goals.

Personally I'm holding AMZN for as long as I can but that's because I don't have any use for the funds in the short term (<5 years). If you think you'll need the money from your brokerage account anytime in the near future (especially in the next calendar year), I can see the logic of taking the profits. Otherwise, why sell? What is stopping AMZN in the next 5 years? 10? 20? I'll be acquiring as much as I can for the foreseeable future.
My only concern is to make the most +EV play in the long run, which means I'm not worried about a certain trade not working out. I want to make the most +EV decision when considering all of my hundreds/thousands of trades over the upcoming years. I'm also not worried about risk on a single trade. I don't need the money and won't be pulling it out. I basically treat my taxable account like another retirement account. If I sold anything, I would just invest it in something else.

AMZN and ROKU are probably bad examples for my question because I agree that those are long term holds.

But in general, no matter what the stocks are, isn't it better in the long run to hold them for over 1 year, as opposed to selling after 3-4 months to lock in profit? You would have to be very confident in your trading abilities to make up for the increase in taxes. I don't see most people being able to beat the tax rate in the long run. I see holding for 1 year as opposed to under 1 year as basically getting a free 10-15% on your money.

I'm not a day trader, so it seems like holding for over a year is the smart play, even if I "feel" like a certain stock is at its peak.

So hypothetically, If I buy stock ABC and it goes up 80% over 5 months, I think it's likely smart to keep it for over a year even if I feel like it may be at its peak. In the long run over hundreds/thousands of trades, I think the tax benefit (plus the chance that the stock could keep rising) outweighs the possible benefit of selling at the stock's peak and reinvesting the money into something else. It seems like the investor would have to be very good about selling at the top and using that money in another +EV investment in order to beat the increased tax rate.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything from the tax side of things. Sorry for the rambling.
HoustonAg2014
AG
My 2 cents is that it is better to take your gains than risk depleting them.

Ex.
1) You take that 80% and pay your effective tax rate on those gains.
2) The stock pulls back to 40% gain and you pay 15% on those gains.
3) You hold and it keeps going up and you pay 15% whenever you decide to pull.

To me it depends on your individual tax rate and if you are comfortable taking an 80% gain or letting it ride and it becoming a loss or a no gain.

I had a point in time where my short term tax rate was lower than the 15% long term capital gains lol... I still think unless you are at the highest end of the tax bracket, it isn't worth holding long term in a trading account but I know people who will debate that all day and night long.
McInnis 03
AG
tamu2009 said:

Thank you for that reminder, still new to this one.

In this case, if I sold the call for $1 and it's trading at .2 close to expiry, I basically make the $80 (100 sell - 20 buy back) because in theory the time value reduces the value of the option even if it comes closer to being ITM.
Yup!
AgsnFly
AG
gougler08 said:

So for those in TTOO (or just bought like me), you call sell the Jul 2.50 covered call for $0.05 to just scalp a little cash or if somehow there's news and it runs to 2.50 you just get the $1.20/share

Seems like an easy win/win

With the stock at 1.40 you could alternatively sell the 2.5 put for 1.20 and have the same trade.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
made money on tesla again today.
McInnis 03
AG
no real move on GILD

McInnis 03
AG
AGSmith said:

I got options authorization last week, but was slammed at work this week, so I finally made my first 2 options buys this morning...

T 7/17 30C and PFE 9/18 35C
I sell covered calls on T. Be wary, she moves very slow, and lately it's been trending downward.
First Page Last Page
Page 1871 of 6406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.