Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,517,252 Views | 223271 Replies | Last: 46 sec ago by EnronAg
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GLUU on the uptick again.
McInnis 03
AG
Freaking OSTK is crazy.

BTW, I see lots of the OSTK lovers on twitter RT'ing every time VOATZ comes up. Apparently Overstock wholly owns a blockchain mobile voting application that's starting to get traction in some municipalities.
AGSmith
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

AGSmith said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

I am so happy with Roku this week but also need it to take a lunch break and end the day at 159.99... I don't want to miss the train on this run... Sold calls at $160 after the initial move yesterday past $145 and it just can't stop won't stop.

I'm debating buying them back but its a 500% loss. Or I just hope it doesn't run too far on Monday and I can buy the shares back.
You could always roll the call out and up
See this is the stuff I need to learn... I think there is a roll button on Fidelity so I assume if I roll it I just do whatever price will cover my loss?

Ex. If my call is down $4k i would roll it forward and lets say next weeks 180 calls will pay me $4k so it will wash out?
Yes, it's under the multi-leg options tab. You can play around with different combinations and it will show you the net debit/credit for the trade
I bleed maroon
AG
Quote:

Your charts have really given me confidence btw. I've believed in the product but to finally see some sort of technicals behind it is always settling.
There's probably not a good time for this, and it's bound to be unpopular, but here goes:

1. Don't confuse chartism and technical analysis with science. It's more like voodoo than science. I'll have to start a separate thread to flesh out my thoughts for those who want to argue (I don't want to derail this great thread). Short story, it's built on the fallacy that the past predicts the future.

2. This thread is VERY valuable, don't get me wrong:

- It's great for active traders (in fact, I think the title should be changed to Stock Markets - Active Traders")

- It's great for trading strategies (use of option combinations is especially useful, for more experienced traders). If you're just starting out, you should not pursue most of these if you don't understand the risks.

- It's great for uncovering stocks with hidden value (bull or bear case), for people to conduct further research

- It's great for highlighting momentum plays, and how to exploit market emotion

3. I acknowledge that enough people currently pursue charting or TA that it in effect creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, where emotion drives action (and you CAN make money on this).

I just want to note that this thread is not a primer in investing - it's an active trader's discussion. Carry on...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

My 2 cents is that it is better to take your gains than risk depleting them.

Ex.
1) You take that 80% and pay your effective tax rate on those gains.
2) The stock pulls back to 40% gain and you pay 15% on those gains.
3) You hold and it keeps going up and you pay 15% whenever you decide to pull.

To me it depends on your individual tax rate and if you are comfortable taking an 80% gain or letting it ride and it becoming a loss or a no gain.

I had a point in time where my short term tax rate was lower than the 15% long term capital gains lol... I still think unless you are at the highest end of the tax bracket, it isn't worth holding long term in a trading account but I know people who will debate that all day and night long.

I get this viewpoint. But if someone is in a high tax bracket, then that 80% gain immediately becomes a 52-54% gain post taxes. Whereas, if you hold it for greater than 1 year, it is a 66-68% gain post taxes. So keeping it for a year gives you another 20-25% gain.

Unless you know for certain that the stock will drop (which i don't kid myself into thinking I have this kind of knowledge and can time the market on any stocks), it seems like keeping all stocks over a year would be beneficial.

Obviously the above doesn't apply to day trading type of plays becuase day traders are constantly putting that money back into play and believe their ROI will do away with any tax concerns.
khaos288
AG
Got 100$ back in premium on amd Calls today and just bought to close. Ended up losing 1.02 for each call but Gaining 394$ per 100 shares this week.
thirdcoast
AG
I think many here build long term investment positions with short term TA option trading.
I bleed maroon
AG
thirdcoast said:

I think many here build long term investment positions with short term TA option trading.
Totally agree. I am the same. I am just a little concerned when I see new investors thinking this is what the "stock markets" are all about.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Quote:

Your charts have really given me confidence btw. I've believed in the product but to finally see some sort of technicals behind it is always settling.
There's probably not a good time for this, and it's bound to be unpopular, but here goes:

1. Don't confuse chartism and technical analysis with science. It's more like voodoo than science. I'll have to start a separate thread to flesh out my thoughts for those who want to argue (I don't want to derail this great thread). Short story, it's built on the fallacy that the past predicts the future.

- It's great for active traders (in fact, I think the title should be changed to Stock Markets - Active Traders")

- It's great for trading strategies (use of option combinations is especially useful, for more experienced traders). If you're just starting out, you should not pursue most of these if you don't understand the risks.

- It's great for uncovering stocks with hidden value (bull or bear case), for people to conduct further research

3. I acknowledge that enough people currently pursue charting or TA that it in effect creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, where emotion drives action (and you CAN make money on this).

I just want to note that this thread is not a primer in investing - it's an active trader's discussion. Carry on...
Quote:

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel! This is a trading thread where trading and market chatter occurs.

gougler08
AG
LADR with a strong hammer forming after a bad run the last few weeks, look for short term reversal
Ragoo
AG
I bleed maroon said:

thirdcoast said:

Totally agree. I am the same. I am just a little concerned when I see new investors thinking this is what the "stock markets" are all about.
what exactly are the stock markets all about?
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Ragoo said:

I bleed maroon said:

thirdcoast said:

Cartographer
Y'all don't get it confused.

Every type of trade is discussed and executed in this thread.

Shorts, longs, every option under the sun, long term holds, and Retirement investing.

Much like most folks here we only discriminate against trolls.
Barty Dont Hedge
Ragoo said:

I bleed maroon said:

thirdcoast said:

Degenerate gambling!!!
59 South
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Quote:

No comment, but I do assume you already know that the technical analysis debate is probably more polarized than the mask/no mask debate and has been going on for decades... can you start a new thread to have a debate so we can all risk getting permabans?

PS: This is a joke and I'm not taking a jab at ya!!!! I get a little hesitant to post things sometimes because things can get a bit uptight here from time to time. I am a very jovial person in 'real life' so I hope that translates here.
Ragoo
AG
You guys must be doing a lot of NFLX and chill
TecRecAg
AG
I couldn't stay away. Seeing some really good flow on AAPL 380P for today so I hopped back in...
TecRecAg
AG
Not going to play this one but for you whales, seeing good flow on V Sept 205's
krosch11
AG
get out of my head
krosch11
AG
CADE looking similarly on the hourly. The two Ive been watching the last few days
Grown Pear
AG
TecRecAg said:

I couldn't stay away. Seeing some really good flow on AAPL 380P for today so I hopped back in...
Does this mean you're feeling AAPL is peaking a bit and may see pull back?

I've been way overexposed to AAPL and have been trying to exit some of my position selling covered calls since $100/share ago. Strikes have been well placed not getting called on them but had to buy back a couple times. I'm in at the $380 strike now and will be pleased exiting here trying not to get greedy... but I'm also greedy at the same time and don't want to miss out on more huge run up! lol
ProgN
TecRecAg said:

TecRec coming back in the thread on a Friday.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
TSLA. this is utter insanity, but yay.
I bleed maroon
AG
Quote:

No comment, but I do assume you already know that the technical analysis debate is probably more polarized than the mask/no mask debate and has been going on for decades... can you start a new thread to have a debate so we can all risk getting permabans?

PS: This is a joke and I'm not taking a jab at ya!!!! I get a little hesitant to post things sometimes because things can get a bit uptight here from time to time. I am a very jovial person in 'real life' so I hope that translates here.
Totally agree about this being on a separate thread - you'll see I noted that same thing upfront in my message. I think a good healthy debate on TA might be fun!

No offense taken whatsoever, and I'm not uptight, either.

To answer the question above re: "what are the stock markets", my reply is that it provides ownership access to a company's assets and earnings without being involved in the day-to-day activities of the company.
TecRecAg
AG
Damn right. AAPL was a terrible play should have stayed away.

I did do something just now that I've never done before. Bought a 710 when I meant to buy a 717. .

So I'm a big GNUS fan right now..
thirdcoast
AG
I bleed maroon said:

thirdcoast said:

A) You can't change thread titles on texags, but the first sentence in OP says it's a "trading thread with daily market chatter."

B) Yes, mostly trade setups, but I find great stock market insights mixed in as well. I got at least 3 awesome book recs here, that are teaching me a ton about stock market. But I would be interested in following the TA debate on another thread.
UpstateAg
AG
Swing trades are the longest things most of us buy on here. Unless you got roku at 35 in December 2018.
Grown Pear
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Ex.

To me it depends on your individual tax rate and if you are comfortable taking an 80% gain or letting it ride and it becoming a loss or a no gain.

I had a point in time where my short term tax rate was lower than the 15% long term capital gains lol... I still think unless you are at the highest end of the tax bracket, it isn't worth holding long term in a trading account but I know people who will debate that all day and night long.

I get this viewpoint. But if someone is in a high tax bracket, then that 80% gain immediately becomes a 52-54% gain post taxes. Whereas, if you hold it for greater than 1 year, it is a 66-68% gain post taxes. So keeping it for a year gives you another 20-25% gain.

Unless you know for certain that the stock will drop (which i don't kid myself into thinking I have this kind of knowledge and can time the market on any stocks), it seems like keeping all stocks over a year would be beneficial.

Obviously the above doesn't apply to day trading type of plays becuase day traders are constantly putting that money back into play and believe their ROI will do away with any tax concerns.
You gotta be mindful of taxes as they are a very real part of one's net return. But you have to be careful to not to let tax consequences be the main determinant on your investment decision too. Don't let the tail wag the dog. The problem at the heart of it is we don't know what the stock price is going to do in the future. I've been caught many a times waiting for my holdings to turn long-term to take advantage of the reduced taxes just to watch the market and/or individual stock go the wrong way and my gain gets reduced dramatically.

It's an extremely "dependent" question & answer

Historically my income can see pretty significant swings so I've been very cognizant to take advantage of my "down" years or to purposefully time certain income events or deductions. Religiously use those down years to rollover 401k/ira funds into my Roth and sometimes capture some stock gains and increase my cost basis knowing my taxable income level will be very different in the future. Part of it is a game and this is a fun game.
AGSmith
AG
What GNUS 7/17 did you intend to play?
Proposition Joe
So which way we headed heading into the weekend gentlemen?
McInnis 03
AG
WTF happened to FSLY
george1992
McInnis 03 said:

WTF happened to FSLY
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/fastly-fsly-stock-analyst-downgrades?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo
fightintxag13
AG
george1992 said:

McInnis 03 said:

WTF happened to FSLY
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/fastly-fsly-stock-analyst-downgrades?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo
They should probably take a look at TSLA next if that's their reasoning for the downgrade.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Grown Pear said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Aggiesincebirth said:

Ex.

The problem at the heart of it is we don't know what the stock price is going to do in the future.

Thanks for the response. The above statement from your post is why I feel like the smart play for me is to probably hold for cap gains treatment. The stock could go up or down. If it goes up, then I get those gains plus the cap gains tax rate. If it goes down, I still may be better off getting the cap gains tax rate (even considering the amount it went down). And there will be times when it goes down far enough that the cap gains rate doesn't overcome the drop.

So my thinking is that in the long run and on average I'll be better off just waiting and getting the cap gains treatment. But many different variables can easily change that strategy for different individuals.
cptthunder
WallyWorld is trying to break 130 for the 2nd time today
Come on....
Any thoughts on where this could go if it manages to break? ive looked at the chart and cant seem to make heads or tails of and channels of the sort
First Page Last Page
Page 1872 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.