Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,083,625 Views | 224441 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Spoony Love
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0708aggie said:

Today is just not my day. Got in CHK right at the bell at 4.41. Down AH to 4.26

I see no news on CHK. Has to be big shorts. With all the volume today something is coming. Hopefully to the upside. Stock looked like a pump and dump today. Really crazy and unusual.
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

Worst trading day of the year for me. Made big bets that in hindsight were not a good idea, obviously. Now I am long twtr!

RDS with poor earnings yesterday plus the blood red on TWTR made this week pretty damn bad for me too

Here's to next week!
Ragoo
AG
gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

Worst trading day of the year for me. Made big bets that in hindsight were not a good idea, obviously. Now I am long twtr!

RDS with poor earnings yesterday plus the blood red on TWTR made this week pretty damn bad for me too

Here's to next week!
only paper losses until you sell
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

Here's to next week!
only paper losses until you sell

Yep, we both have plenty of time
badharambe
AG
Grabbed TVIX long in 37's in case we see more blood in the coming week.
GasAg90
First I appreciate the great advice from multiple folks- I have learned a lot.

Second, with my limited experience, I am somewhat concerned about the recent weeks as the market went up but the volume didn't seem to be there. Technically, this looks poor from my experience. On the other hand the economy seems to be rocking and rolling- despite the trade war.

My father told me when I was young to never underestimate the power of the power of the American economy, and I believe that. But considering everything available, I'd love to hear the various sages opinions for the next 6 -12 months of the major markets.
59 South
AG
I think short term in the next week or two we are going down 2-3%. I think medium term like you're asking about, it will be up and down essentially sideways with greater risk of a big move down than a big move up. Big move defined as 10% ish. That's all just educated guess at this point given recent market behavior. It just seems like the markets are a little spooked and looking for a sell off. Great news seems to equal a little move up, and not good news (or a random Trump tweet) seems to equal a big move down.

Any further out than that long term is just throwing darts at a dart board!
Ragoo
AG
I now own in total 700 shares of twitter at an embarrassingly bad basis. Time to start sellers my covered calls into that basis to reduce that basis until it picks up more upward momentum.
PPAag06
AG
Can you post your strategies (as you go) so we can see how you methodically reduce basis?
Ragoo
AG
Sure next week when I formulate a real strategy after seeing how twtr reacts following the weekend.
oldarmy1
AG
I want to be positive on posting what I am going to post. If people are going to ignore the technicals then you're going to get crushed trading. Fundamentals and a host of other factors are great for buy and hold forever investing, but NOT nearly as relevant to short term technicals when trading.

We spoke to the macro technical wave. These waves have been showing a rising wedge but catching the exact top is impossible. Yet post after post was given about the potential wave top represented now as it looks to have begun yesterday.

The thing I want to stress is that if a wave was going to happen the markets were clearly approaching the top of that channel. This is why I was posting hedges, exits and stops. When trading you can't afford to sit and see if a macro technical becomes confirmed because the initial drop is brutal to recent positions.

Either place a strong hedge (frankly only if profits in the trade you entered are enough to cover the hedge) or get out.

If we want to talk investing versus trading we can do so but this thread became a trading thread and trading means planned entry, strategy for exit or hedging around strict discipline.

Ok, enough of that. Here is the channel we've been trading. Taking new positions above the mid-line would be higher risk than taking positions around the lower channel. This means stops should be tighter. I also mentioned buying Puts, some hedge and others just straight Puts. There is nothing more enjoyable than buying a Put like TWTR and having it come all the way into the money. Complete and total risk free strategies are presented when those cheap options pay off.

You can do the same looking at waves for a specific stock, if the lower wave projection strikes are low cost. I generally never pay over 15 cents ($15/option) for this strategy. But I only need 20% of them to hit for it to be a solid strategy. And occassionally I get a gift of some kind of bad news that sends shares tanking. I'd even be happy breaking even on some of the waves because its all about using the market tools available to present lower risk opportunities.

So Monday will be a key day in wave analysis. We could have a throw away day trading higher but not breaking Friday's high. Don't be fooled if that happens. If it develops that way then you get an opportunity to reduce exposure and get some hedges in place. Tuesday would become the pivot day. I believe you'll see a clear break back down on volume. We would need to see a new high to keep any talk of breaking these waves.

SlackerAg
AG
Dumping TWTR on dead-cat-bounce & NFLX.
ranchag04
AG
Your a little late...most did that last several days...username checks out
TheBiggerEvent
AG
CHK ahead of earning this week, we thinking good news?
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

I believe First Data momentum points to blow out earnings. Lot of close expiration call options at $24 strikes. Wouldn't be covered calls that far out of the money.

Take it for what its worth. Reports before market on 30th.

If you went in on FDC $24 strikes the stock touched $24 premarket and is up $1.18 currently.

Pay day!
oldarmy1
AG
FDC raised guidance on earnings call giving quick jump from $23.80 to $24.10. Options in the money at open would be nice premium pop.
oldarmy1
AG
$24.24

Also, of oil stocks recover after the sell off add NE
gougler08
AG
Futures slightly up...let's see if it holds today
UpstateAg
AG
LADR is down. Not a bad spot to jump in.
tailgatetimer10
AG
AMD approaching 20 a share
gougler08
AG
What's driving NFLX down today? TWTR also down big again but I assume that is still from earnings on Friday
pacecar02
just wanted to say my amzn earnings play turned out to be a loser

could have closed for a small profit early or rolled it

waited to see if it would come around and decided just to get out, felt it was likely to head lower down

my other play with the same expiration more than covered my losses, but lessons learned
oldarmy1
AG
CHK shorts still active but a 800k minute spike punched it through some resistance. See if that sets the stage for some punishment.
gougler08
AG
JD and TWTR testing major resistance around $35 and $32 respectively
oldarmy1
AG
MS is lagging the rest of financials move today due to it being post dividend from Friday.

I see it basing on the selling, finding its support and popping over the next week to join other financials. Going $52.50 mid August strikes mid 30 cents
jtmoney03
AG
Got a quick 134% on some 8/3 BAC $31.50 calls I bought on Friday. Feel like I'm starting to get the hang of options finally.
ranchag04
AG
What is the deal on JD? Everything I have read on it seems positive.
oldarmy1
AG
See that TWTR major support mark bounce?

I jumped in on the volume spike $32.25 but bought the $32 Put in the bounce move since right now the initial bounce is a day trade one.

Net neutral on shares gain up to $32.75 since options were 50 cents and gain on shares 50 cents.

Not one to hang out unprotected on stocks tumbling.
gougler08
AG
Bout to try it again
oldarmy1
AG
Sept S&P Futures pointing to lower market outlook.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Hope no one is in HMNY. It's a goner
oldarmy1
AG
Watched MS for gap fill to get completed and bought those options at 32 cents. Now its up to the market.
oldarmy1
AG
NE up 30 cents and right up at resistance.

Listening to an oil guru I've known since Chicago Mercantile days and he thinks oil challenges $100 by Spring

Obviously that would mean all these oil stocks that have been consolidating from initial moves off their lows would be big winners.
gougler08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Hope no one is in HMNY. It's a goner
From over 9000 a share to gone in a year, wow
oldarmy1
AG
NFLX lost major support 342 and free falling.

FANG stocks should be heavily leveraged if staying in them. So glad I rotated out!
First Page Last Page
Page 176 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.