Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,102,835 Views | 224576 Replies | Last: 3 sec ago by Brian Earl Spilner
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rumor that amd's new gpu will be out before the new consoles and their top gpu will be better than NVDA 2080ti. Would be huge for amd's gpu division.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-Big-Navi-RDNA2-set-to-hit-PC-before-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-make-it-to-market-likely-beats-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti.467921.0.html
khaos288
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Rumor that amd's new gpu will be out before the new consoles and their top gpu will be better than NVDA 2080ti. Would be huge for amd's gpu division.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-Big-Navi-RDNA2-set-to-hit-PC-before-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-make-it-to-market-likely-beats-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti.467921.0.html

Any idea what their business split between retail and corporate is?
0708aggie
AG
Stxag. Oxy at 22.30 AH. FML
McInnis 03
AG
astroaggie13 said:

I saw some of yall posting about the TTM Squeeze. I have also picked up on that through some learnings online and wrote some custom scripts in TOS to find some in a squeeze. I narrowed my scan down to find stocks that are currently in a daily squeeze for 6 days (not yet fired) and also in a squeeze on the weekly. Here's what it turned up in looking at some larger market cap stocks that looked worthy of additional eyes. Please give me some feedback on what you see further into these charts and any other advice you have while working with the TTM _Squeeze feature. I have learned so much from this board, I appreciate all of the help yall are giving us new folks (and having the patience!).

AMD
Daily Chart: 9 day Squeeze with no defined momentum, SMA 20/50/100/200 stacked upward trajectory
Weekly Chart: 6 week Squeeze with upward momentum, SMA 20/50/100/200 stacked upward trajectory

KR Kroger
Daily Chart: 7 day Squeeze with slight downward momentum, SMA 20/50/100/200 stacked upward trajectory
Weekly Chart: 2 week squeeze with slight downward momentum, SMA 50, 100,200 converged for a decision point?

So...... I like the thought....I scan similarly and am still fine tuning my parameters to find the right setups.

I think what you'll see is that the nested squeeze by itself isn't necessarily the indicator you want to act on. When you have so many squeezes over the time frames you may be finding a stock that is simply going sideways with no real momentum with no moves in sight. There are plenty out there like this that are range bound.

What I try to look for is something that has had some trajectory and then has stopped for a breath. Akin to a track runner racing a 100m race and is in between their next race taking a breather.

A few notes on the squeeze:
- Length of squeeze is irrelevant, a 1 dot squeeze can move harder than an 8 dot squeeze and vice versa.
- Not all squeezes are big moves, but many big moves result from squeezes.
- average length of a squeeze firing is about 6 time periods
- before acting on a squeeze, note the higher time frames first. If the weekly is firing bull, beware taking a 5m bear. If daily is firing bear, beware taking a 15m bull. The bigger time squeezes usually minimize opposing shorter time squeezes. That being said, if they align then they might indicate a good move.

As for the two you pointed out, they look like longer term consolidation squeezes to me and I don't see actionable play from them, but this is just my read for my trades.

Good luck!

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
oldarmy1
AG
Yes. And you have ability write covered calls if needed?
McInnis 03
AG
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
Aggies1322
AG
Also, aren't we looking for stocks that are above their 21 EMA to go long and under 21 EMA to go short? I believe that is what John Carter said, if I'm not mistaken.
FishrCoAg
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Yes. And you have ability write covered calls if needed?

Yes that's my plan. Hoping for a bit of a run up before I write the calls. Thanks
Mr President Elect
AG
Does anyone know how much more run OIS has? I have a few more 6/19 calls that are at 9x, but wonder if I should start adding some more at later expiration?
Brewmaster
AG
McInnis 03 said:

was waiting for this! looking forward to a red monday got some ammo for calls.
McInnis 03
AG
Aggies1322 said:

Also, aren't we looking for stocks that are above their 21 EMA to go long and under 21 EMA to go short? I believe that is what John Carter said, if I'm not mistaken.

I think it is dependent on the specific setup but for reversion to mean and especially propulsion plays he suggests such.

B&I Key:
astroaggie13
AG
Thanks McInnis.

"That being said, if they align then they might indicate a good move." - that's what I was kind of looking for with the nested squeeze scan.

Sounds like I need to reduce the length of time in the squeeze in my scan and see what results come up. Are there any other filters you have been trying to add on top of your squeeze scans?
Gig em Stros
McInnis 03
AG
Haven't had too much success yet with squeeze scans. But perhaps combining a squeeze scan with ema crossovers in the recent past could be productive? I've never been much for thinking in lines of code or such!

B&I Key:
astroaggie13
AG
Well I am an engineer/coder, so I am trying to use what's in my toolbelt to help my trading. If you think of anything you would like to try I can look into how to make it happen.
Gig em Stros
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
12thMan86
AG
12thMan86 said:

FishrCoAg said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

So y'all asked yesterday if I started to hedge a fall with long put butterflies to advise. Here's one I just bought.

SPX
JUL 17
1 BUY TO OPEN 2920 PUT
2 SELL TO OPEN 2900 PUT
1 BUT TO OPEN 2880 PUT

Risk $.30
Max Profit (if SPX 2900 on JUL 17) $20

I'm also entering bids for a 29Jun put butterfly for 3065/3050/3035 at $.35 and 17Jun same strikes $.45

They have not yet filled.

These all likely expire worthless, but that's why it's a hedge.
remember, these don't max out unless the center strike is hit right at the end of the day on expiration.
I feel like I'm missing something. Isn't the risk 20.30 if it closes at 2880 at expiration? NVM. I suck at math today
Nope your risk is simply the debit paid. The best way to play butterflies, especially ones that are not wide ( the wider the wings, the better chance you have to catch more...but they are more expensive) is to sell them when you've made 3 to 10 times your money and not try to "pin" or max out the trade. I've f'd myself a few times doing that.

The other thing that gets you is getting to the puts you sold, the center strike. If we woke up on Monday and the market was at 2900, you'd think " damn I just hit it". But in reality those center strike puts you sold would still have a lot of life. The trade would make money, probably 4x. But cashing out at 1.20 is not cashing out at 20 bucks.

The way I like to play flies is short term. I put on a 2960/3000/3040 for 1.40 for Friday next week. Will it hit? Prolly not. But if we get back to the mean (21 ema) next week between Wednesday and Friday, that will be a nice hit. I had a zoom fly that I put on Monday for 2.30. 220-240-260. 240 was the expected move per TOS. YESTERDAY when zoom was 225 I sold it for 5.30. I could have waited and chance that I get more today, but that would have not been a good call. I took the 2.5x and moved on. ZM closed around 210 I think. If it's back up to 23o or so tomorrow I'll be pissed but I just Take base hits.

Some of the simpler trading guys like to use butterfly's at earnings. Say for example it's Thursday. Apple announces after hours. It's currently trading at 225. And the expected move is 15 bucks, you just don't know which way. Remember, the expected move is based on current volatility, and IS NOT an exact science.
So why not create a 230-240-250 butterfly that expires tomorrow? You want to see those center strikes lose value fast? Do a one day trade! That trade would probably cost a buck and you could make 10. If you wake up the next day and apple is at 240, the fly is probably worth 4 or 5 bucks and you have to decide if you want to hold on to it until the afternoon to make the full 10. I'll usually watch them and tr to get as much as I can, but I don't get greedy. Like with Zoom yesterday. Most of those big ballers on simpler will buy 5 or 10. Then you can leg out to get some free trades working. I have pinned a few in the last 30 mins and it's glorious. I'm a gambling mo fo and sometimes a guy with 30 yrs experience that teaches will use his insight to guess a direction on a mon, wed, or Friday afternoon on SPX. They usually are 8 to 10:1. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. So you place the butterfly trade at 2 ish pm and you can let it CASH SETTLE. You don't have to close anything and it doesn't count as a day trade! With the volatility he usually does them 15-20 wide and will place the sold strikes where there is high open interest on both the put and call side at a certain number. Nice round numbers are common. Like 3000. It's crazy how it works.

Y'all should look into selling credit spreads and buying back for less. Takes advantage of theta decay and volatility. I typically do them at or slightly in the money and while the usually pay 1:1 or 3:2, my hit rate is pretty solid. Using that same Apple example, if you think Apple is going to 235 by next Friday. Sell the 225/220 credit spread for 2.60. That money goes in your account, and your risk is the spread with minus your credit, or 2.40. Instead of selling a naked put, you are selling a put and buying a cheaper put for insurance. If you want to make more, widen the spread. As long as Apple closes above 225 at expiration, you keep the credit. I usually buy them back when I've made 80% of the max profit, or in this case around .50. So sell for 2.60, buy back for .50. All day long. Did it on crowdstrike today. Sold 90/85 PCS ON Monday for 2.80. Bought back today for .40. 2.40 overall profit. However If APPLE is at 235, you just let it expire worthless and keep it ALL!

Think the market is going to drop but don't want to pay up for SPY PUTS? Look at what a call credit spread costs that's ITM. You can probably sell a 305/310 ccs for 3 or 3.50 right now. Total guess I'm not in front of computer. But your max risk is 1.50. 4 of those would put up to 1400 bucks in your pocket for $600 risk. If the market keeps going up, maybe you have to buy it back for MORE than you paid, but you'd won't get smoked like owning a straight up put that's going against you. I see a lot of guys buy way OTM calls and outs on here. It works great with it moves your way, but if it doesn't, you can get smokes in a hurry. Theta positive if you can!

I was going to answer that in two sentences and now look at this crap!

Sorry for the rant. I love this stuff! Good night and Gig em!

found several minor mistakes. Vodka!

ProgN
I'm home. There were no issues downtown and everyone was cordial towards everyone. There was a heavy police presence, but I honestly don't think that was the reason. Everyone was nice and respectful.
BrokeAssAggie
Good to hear!
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Aggies1322
AG
After watching another video on squeezes, John Carter discusses hourly squeezes being a couple day trade. He also mentioned that as long as the daily and hourly charts were in alignment (bonus for weekly) - then it is a good trade to take. So I ran an hourly scan and saw LULU ended the day in an hourly squeeze. The daily is on an up trend and so is the weekly.

I am wondering if that would be a trade that y'all would recommend?

Also, sorry for all of the questions. I am trying to collect as much knowledge as I can.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
https://apple.news/A2kabo7lRQce-KDRyE-MqiA

I knew it! Sad thing is just like positive vaccine news, once the gains show up, they aren't given up. Wouldn't it be something to see an island reversal?
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

I'm home. There were no issues downtown and everyone was cordial towards everyone. There was a heavy police presence, but I honestly don't think that was the reason. Everyone was nice and respectful.

America. F yeah.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

https://apple.news/A2kabo7lRQce-KDRyE-MqiA

I knew it! Sad thing is just like positive vaccine news, once the gains show up, they aren't given up. Wouldn't it be something to see an island reversal?

Wait'll the markets chew that up, spy 350 Monday!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I think lulu just started earnings runup early, i wouldn't bet on a squeeze happening now
Aggies1322
AG
Honestly though, will that even have an effect on the market? All the other bad jobs numbers didnt.
leoj
AG
This is crazy. Curious how much of this ends up as a % of oi and volume.

Ok not exactly an answer, but some context.

IrishTxAggie
AG

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Iraq is cool and all, but is Russia playing ball?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Bad news...Spy 350...i was being facetious
Square Pair
AG
Anyone in COTY? Thoughts?

9%+ yield and to my unlearned eye is at a bottom. Wait to see if trend up? Looters gonna want to look nice for court appearances.
Brewmaster
AG
12thMan86 said:

12thMan86 said:

FishrCoAg said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

So y'all asked yesterday if I started to hedge a fall with long put butterflies
remember, these don't max out unless the center strike is hit right at the end of the day on expiration.
I feel like I'm missing something. Isn't the risk 20.30 if it closes at 2880 at expiration? NVM. I suck at math today
Nope your risk is simply the debit paid. The best way to play butterflies, especially ones that are not wide ( the wider the wings, the better chance you have to catch more...but they are more expensive) is to sell them when you've made 3 to 10 times your money and not try to "pin" or max out the trade. I've f'd myself a few times doing that.

The other thing that gets you is getting to the puts you sold, the center strike. If we woke up on Monday and the market was at 2900, you'd think " damn I just hit it". But in reality those center strike puts you sold would still have a lot of life. The trade would make money, probably 4x. But cashing out at 1.20 is not cashing out at 20 bucks.

The way I like to play flies is short term. I put on a 2960/3000/3040 for 1.40 for Friday next week. Will it hit? Prolly not. But if we get back to the mean (21 ema) next week between Wednesday and Friday, that will be a nice hit. I had a zoom fly that I put on Monday for 2.30. 220-240-260. 240 was the expected move per TOS. YESTERDAY when zoom was 225 I sold it for 5.30. I could have waited and chance that I get more today, but that would have not been a good call. I took the 2.5x and moved on. ZM closed around 210 I think. If it's back up to 23o or so tomorrow I'll be pissed but I just Take base hits.

Some of the simpler trading guys like to use butterfly's at earnings. Say for example it's Thursday. Apple announces after hours. It's currently trading at 225. And the expected move is 15 bucks, you just don't know which way. Remember, the expected move is based on current volatility, and IS NOT an exact science.
So why not create a 230-240-250 butterfly that expires tomorrow? You want to see those center strikes lose value fast? Do a one day trade! That trade would probably cost a buck and you could make 10. If you wake up the next day and apple is at 240, the fly is probably worth 4 or 5 bucks and you have to decide if you want to hold on to it until the afternoon to make the full 10. I'll usually watch them and tr to get as much as I can, but I don't get greedy. Like with Zoom yesterday. Most of those big ballers on simpler will buy 5 or 10. Then you can leg out to get some free trades working. I have pinned a few in the last 30 mins and it's glorious. I'm a gambling mo fo and sometimes a guy with 30 yrs experience that teaches will use his insight to guess a direction on a mon, wed, or Friday afternoon on SPX. They usually are 8 to 10:1. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. So you place the butterfly trade at 2 ish pm and you can let it CASH SETTLE. You don't have to close anything and it doesn't count as a day trade! With the volatility he usually does them 15-20 wide and will place the sold strikes where there is high open interest on both the put and call side at a certain number. Nice round numbers are common. Like 3000. It's crazy how it works.

Y'all should look into selling credit spreads and buying back for less. Takes advantage of theta decay and volatility. I typically do them at or slightly in the money and while the usually pay 1:1 or 3:2, my hit rate is pretty solid. Using that same Apple example, if you think Apple is going to 235 by next Friday. Sell the 225/220 credit spread for 2.60. That money goes in your account, and your risk is the spread with minus your credit, or 2.40. Instead of selling a naked put, you are selling a put and buying a cheaper put for insurance. If you want to make more, widen the spread. As long as Apple closes above 225 at expiration, you keep the credit. I usually buy them back when I've made 80% of the max profit, or in this case around .50. So sell for 2.60, buy back for .50. All day long. Did it on crowdstrike today. Sold 90/85 PCS ON Monday for 2.80. Bought back today for .40. 2.40 overall profit. However If APPLE is at 235, you just let it expire worthless and keep it ALL!

Think the market is going to drop but don't want to pay up for SPY PUTS? Look at what a call credit spread costs that's ITM. You can probably sell a 305/310 ccs for 3 or 3.50 right now. Total guess I'm not in front of computer. But your max risk is 1.50. 4 of those would put up to 1400 bucks in your pocket for $600 risk. If the market keeps going up, maybe you have to buy it back for MORE than you paid, but you'd won't get smoked like owning a straight up put that's going against you. I see a lot of guys buy way OTM calls and outs on here. It works great with it moves your way, but if it doesn't, you can get smokes in a hurry. Theta positive if you can!

I was going to answer that in two sentences and now look at this crap!

Sorry for the rant. I love this stuff! Good night and Gig em!

found several minor mistakes. Vodka!

Brilliant post! I'm just getting into spreads, ran a spread on BA on Friday b/c I didn't want to fork over big bucks for the calls. The spread smashed it and I banked a 4x trade on it

Interesting on the SPY credit spread in the money, so you're basically using it like a put? if SPY dips when you sell it, it's a money maker.
leoj
AG
texagbeliever
IrishTxAggie said:

So your saying my 8c MRO $7 options that expire in july might be a little green come monday. They are only up 700% now (sadly I only bought 20 of them).
McInnis 03
AG
leoj said:

This is crazy. Curious how much of this ends up as a % of oi and volume.

Ok not exactly an answer, but some context.

Eventually the MMs will come for this....just don't know when. Flash sale, grab cheap calls, resume rally

B&I Key:
AGSmith
AG
Need opinions on several recent moves...

I sold the RUBI Sept 10c (covered) for 80 yesterday. I have an open buy order to close it at 15 if the stock pulls back. In at 4.99

I'm looking at AAL 6/19 20c (1.94 yesterday close) or 22c (1.32). I made 50 off the 6/5 19c yesterday afternoon, so my basis is now 10.56. Should I be looking at 6/12s?

I bought PLAY at 14.09 and immediately sold a 6/12 14.5c last Tuesday not knowing it was going to go crazy. Is it worth it to pay 230 to roll up and out to a 6/19 18.5c?
First Page Last Page
Page 1701 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.