Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,994,442 Views | 224168 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
Old Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I moved my 401k allocation to cash when DOW was around 16k, i'm just planning on leaving it there for the time being.

So you missed out on 12.5% + dividends?
bmks270
AG
quote:
Haven't read the book, but the idea that unforeseen, or unforseeable, events are reason that no investment method works, is simply stupid.

Well, halfway through the book and there hasn't been any talk about investment methods.
claym711
AG
GS results and stock response are interesting.
aggieland09
AG
Anybody calling the top? I too took to the sidelines early and missed out on recent gains.
Southside AG
AG
I was thinking of piecing small increments back in slowly as a way of re-entry. Is this a good strategy or is it best to stay on the sideline because perception is a hard fall is coming?
DRE06
AG
quote:
I was thinking of piecing small increments back in slowly as a way of re-entry. Is this a good strategy or is it best to stay on the sideline because perception is a hard fall is coming?

Perception has been that a heard gal has been coming since 2011 following the 2008 crash.

Look at a 2 year, 5 year, 10 year, 20 year, and 30 year chart. But and hold in quality companies paying dividends works.
Ragoo
AG
LVS down big after weak Q2 guidance, will be watching this one for a re-entry
Joseph Parrish
AG
Oil stocks still creeping up. I like this.
claym711
AG
Bad earnings and guidance on the street.
Dan Scott
AG
Looks like it's time to go short again. Market leaders topped out.
Muy
AG
quote:
quote:
I moved my 401k allocation to cash when DOW was around 16k, i'm just planning on leaving it there for the time being.

So you missed out on 12.5% + dividends?

The old buy high, sell low strategy?
Southside AG
AG
Got out around the conversation on page 5 of this thread. I was convinced the channel top was around 17,000 but saw more downside than up so I got out.
claym711
AG
When the largest company in the market bombs and the market shrugs it off....
Pasquale Liucci
AG
I was out at 2046 or so on the SP500 in my 401k. Still holding some stocks covering sold call positions in my brokerage.
claym711
AG
TWTR got wrecked.
Post removed:
by user
Dan Scott
AG
Friday XOM will report its worst quarter in almost 20 years. It's gonna be ugly
claym711
AG
Market is going to shrug it off. BOJ decision, GDP slowed growth, APPL - all did nothing. Although volume is pretty low
claym711
AG
Oldarmy sure disappeared...
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
He posted a while back that he was leaving the country.

You would be wise to stop trying to catch him in an error or wrong prediction. He has been a very successful businessman, selling companies for a bunch of money and now investing with said money. He travels, a lot, gives back, and trades nearly full time while Stateside. Further, he hasn't been wrong. He correctly predicted where this upside would go to and be choppy, in the 17,500 range, which it has been for weeks. He did this while the DOW was firmly established below 17,000. He also said he would post when the top was reached, he hasn't posted that yet.
claym711
AG
You're awfully sensitive. Not sure where you got the impression I was trying to catch him. Just keeping the thread active.
Post removed:
by user
Woody2006
AG
quote:
quote:

You would be wise to stop trying to catch him in an error or wrong prediction. He has been a very successful businessman, selling companies for a bunch of money and now investing with said money. He travels, a lot, gives back, and trades nearly full time while Stateside. Further, he hasn't been wrong. He correctly predicted where this upside would go to and be choppy, in the 17,500 range, which it has been for weeks. He did this while the DOW was firmly established below 17,000. He also said he would post when the top was reached, he hasn't posted that yet.
Hasn't prevented him from posting on the R&P board about how evolution isn't real.

Don't get me wrong... this has nothing to do with his ability to call markets. He may well be the best swing trader on the planet for all I know. I'm guessing the reason he hasn't posted yet is that he's not ready to call the top. While I think there is every possibility downside volatility will return, I would never attempt to make predictions regarding short-term market movements.

I actually think it's to his credit that he didn't call a top over the past month. It would have been an easy call after the run-up we've had.
Joseph Parrish
AG
quote:
quote:

You would be wise to stop trying to catch him in an error or wrong prediction.
You are reading a lot into that Bonfire. I think people are more curious about what oldarmy has to say. Nowhere in that post does he say that oldarmy is wrong. I'm not playing the same game as you guys are with stocks, but even I appreciate the input from him.
El Chupacabra
Anyone want to risk a little for a decent return over the next 4 weeks

Office Depot ODP

Stock is at about 6.10
May 5 calls are at about 1.65 (huge bid ask spread)
Buy stock at 6.10, sell call at 1.65. If you get assigned at 5, you clear .55. You're risking 500 to make 55.
claym711
AG
Good call Jake!
oldarmy1
AG
Well hello. I'm back and would still be surprised to see us break out to new highs but that's why they call it a market. I can only give you confirmation when it's reversed and there are over half of my indicators still needing to hit. Heaven help us if we have, in essence, a double top to pair against that double bottom.

Common sense at these levels would be to position short/puts on up days above 18k and that's all I've done. However, I cover/sell those puts on a day like today simply because I have no pure signal of a top. As long as you get days like today to take profits then you can keep repeating the strategy with profit protection and an extremely easy exit point, that being the markets breaking to new highs. Otherwise we wait for confirmation of a reversal and then short/buy puts with high confidence that they will be pure winners.

I have a data set that runs every weekend and will share some of those points of impact this weekend, if I have time.

Happy trading!
Dr. Faustus
AG
Watchlisted
oldarmy1
AG
p.s. I am a full fledged, unapologetic young earth creationist. While that neither helps nor hinders my financial studies I believe science to be the study of God's amazing design. Man's desire to want to know how we came to be is a noble cause. I simply think the Universe was created perfectly ticking over a 6 day period. This leaves a never ending debate over evidence, which can most certainly be used to hypothesize a million "what if" scenarios but it does not eliminate the possibility that the extrapolation of what that evidence might have required to reach point A is 100% fact. I always enjoy the 100 foot candle analogy whereby you discover it burning. You calculate with great accuracy the burn rates, materials making up the candle, external variables of oxygen, etc. You take all of that and science would be able to state how tall the candle would have been 100, 1000, 1M years ago.. But it wouldn't explain when it was lit and if the conditions had remained static over that period. You can see the scientist publishing studies showing scientifically how this candle was formed "x" years ago. Then the candle maker shows up and says I just lit it 6 days ago. The science wasn't flawed - the extrapolation is simply incorrect due to an alternate reality. It's not magic. It might not even be what the purest characterized as "fair". It simply is what it is as far as I'm concerned.

Sir Issac Newton had a working model of the then known planetary system. One day an agnostic visited him and in amazement upon seeing the working model asked Newton who made it. Newton quipped "Nobody". The man became put off and asked Newton again and received the same reply. Visibly upset the man challenged Newton by saying of course someone made it and I demand to know who! Newton stated, and I'm paraphrasing: You believe that this tiny representation of a much larger work must have a designer yet you doubt that the original has neither a design nor a maker!

I think he was onto something. The clock was formed perfectly ticking and, while I enjoy and respect the sciences, they are forever going to miss the mark when trying to see beyond the clocks start date.

http://www3.gettysburg.edu/~tshannon/hist106web/site6/sir_isaac_newton.htm

I'll not use this forum to debate the topic, and I find it queer that anyone would seek to make a point about my beliefs on a finance forum. Headed off to dinner singing "Let it go! Let it go!...

Woody2006
AG
Was pointing out you were currently posting. But you're right, that subject should have been left on R&P.
claym711
AG
Would love to see a huge pullback in apple like we had a few years ago the last time everyone thought their growth was done. Headwinds in China will prob give that opportunity. There is still a ton of high end smart phone growth to be had in China, and later India. The 6 plus was the last obvious record sales catalyst. There isn't an obvious iPhone next iteration that will be that catalyst right now.
Post removed:
by user
oldarmy1
AG
Intraday reversal into the close.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.