Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,030,918 Views | 224268 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by bmoochie
12thMan86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

on my own, NOT Bruce in my trading room...I just put on 2 x SPX 2940/2935 for .35. 70 to make 1000. Could be totally wrong, but my support levels are telling me its possible. Lotto from hell. Lets do this!

PUT Debit spread, breakeven SPX has to drop below 2939.65
in it for $20 to go to $500. Not sure I see a flush coming, but crazier things happen.
LOL was looking like it wanted to flush, and as soon as I hit send, F You !!! I was thinking of doing a 2955 butterfly for cheap as well. That may have been the play.

Gotta throw a chip out!!
McInnis 03
AG
12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

on my own, NOT Bruce in my trading room...I just put on 2 x SPX 2940/2935 for .35. 70 to make 1000. Could be totally wrong, but my support levels are telling me its possible. Lotto from hell. Lets do this!

in it for $20 to go to $500. Not sure I see a flush coming, but crazier things happen.
LOL was looking like it wanted to flush, and as soon as I hit send, F You !!! I was thinking of doing a 2955 butterfly for cheap as well. That may have been the play.

Gotta throw a chip out!!
You're about to hate yourself lol
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
oldarmy1
AG
Target on V Calls is $2.50

That is TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS and only $9 away now
McInnis 03
AG
12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Gotta throw a chip out!!
Care to tell me what that Fly would have been worth?????

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
12thMan86
AG
12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Gotta throw a chip out!!
The 2955 fly, 5 wide, was the play. could have bought for .80 to win 5. Just didn't have the risk reward. I also figured the market would sell off into a 3 day weekend. That fly would have been worth 4.55 if cash closed.

WRONG on direction !!! Not the first time and damn sure not the last
gougler08
AG
MOMO at 3 year lows...
12thMan86
AG
McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Gotta throw a chip out!!
Care to tell me what that Fly would have been worth?????

It was a 5 wide for .80 that closed at 4.55. You really need to do them 10 wide with all the volatility we have, but then they cost more. Bigger Net, better chance of profit, costs more
tlepoC
AG
When China news came out I cut my NIO immediately and bought puts on MOMO. Wish I had bought puts and cut the MOMO. Couldn't do that for some reason.
claym711
AG
?itok=EDhR8dOA

You can chart the velocity/momentum of the rally against the Fed pump. The further it tapers, the slower we gonna move
McInnis 03
AG
Aggies1322 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Bought Jun 5th V $200 calls.

What premium did you get those at?

B&I Key:
cisgenderedAggie
gotsand said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Ok professor. The only way I learn is to do. So i'm trying to execute your teachings from yesterday on TLRY.

Open book:

Bought 9.5p's (for today) yesterday on the spike at 10+
This morning bought shares at 9.35 to cover the puts in whole.
Bought 10c's (for today) at the same time.

Now I'm seeing if we get a spike to sell covered calls on the shares that I'd sell at 9.5c for today.

My head is about to explode, and I'm sure my P/L will be next to 0 on this whole thing but unless I do it, I won't learn, and $10 stocks are better to learn on than $295 etfs.
F'ing A. I'm never doing this again. I'm in a spaghetti knot of fish line that I can't seem to untangle now.
Here you go.

**Hey look TLRY spiked and topped, let's model T this for tomorrow.
BUY TLRY 9.5p (.60) x2 **initial put buy
BUY 200 TLRY (9.38) x200 **lets be like OA, let's buy against those puts!
BUY TLRY 10c (.24) x2 **I think OA buys calls here, let's try that
SELL TLRY 10c .09 x2 **Oh man, these calls are worthless as this goes down, bail out!
SELL TLRY 9.5c .30 x2 **So if I sell a call here, I'm protected both up and down...right?! that seems like a good thing.
BUY TLRY 10c (.30) x2 **Wait, if I turn this into a debit spread I'll be good to go! (only, pay attn, this isn't what creates a vertical debit spread)
SELL TLRY 9.87 x200 **Heh heh, I don't need THESE anymore, goodbye stock!
BUY TLRY 10c (.15) x5 **Might as well grab some of these on this pump and scalp
SELL TLRY 10c .17 x5 **2cents, yeah baby!
SELL TLRY 10P .19 x2 **Wait..... THAT'S NOT A DEBIT SPREAD!!! I need a way to get stock to cover these short calls!! *panic*
BUY 200 TLRY (10.037) **Oh crap, those aren't in the money, I'm not covered if this closes above 10, BUY STOCK!
BUY TLRY 10p (.19) **F this, I'm out. Close it all. Buy to close the puts
BUY TLRY 10p (.21) **I'm filling this hell or high water.
BUY TLRY 9.5C (.60) x2 **Don't care, bailing out, I'm not staying on the Titanic
SELL TLRY 9.5P .03 x2 **You f'ers are worth a measely 3cents at this moment and I do NOT care, get out, the way you came in, GET OUT.
sELL 10c .24 x2 **Hey, a little profit, don't care, you leave too.
SELL 200 TLRY 10.0201 **out, out, OUT.

Final tally ($113.38)
Commissions (Ameritrade won this round)
Lessons learned? Priceless.

Hope that's a retirement account, or tax time is going to be a blast for you (or your CPA).

Mine is taxable
McInnis 03
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

gotsand said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Ok professor. The only way I learn is to do. So i'm trying to execute your teachings from yesterday on TLRY.

Open book:

Now I'm seeing if we get a spike to sell covered calls on the shares that I'd sell at 9.5c for today.

My head is about to explode, and I'm sure my P/L will be next to 0 on this whole thing but unless I do it, I won't learn, and $10 stocks are better to learn on than $295 etfs.
F'ing A. I'm never doing this again. I'm in a spaghetti knot of fish line that I can't seem to untangle now.
Here you go.

SELL TLRY 10c .09 x2 **Oh man, these calls are worthless as this goes down, bail out!
SELL TLRY 9.5c .30 x2 **So if I sell a call here, I'm protected both up and down...right?! that seems like a good thing.
BUY TLRY 10c (.30) x2 **Wait, if I turn this into a debit spread I'll be good to go! (only, pay attn, this isn't what creates a vertical debit spread)
SELL TLRY 10P .19 x2 **Wait..... THAT'S NOT A DEBIT SPREAD!!! I need a way to get stock to cover these short calls!! *panic*
BUY 200 TLRY (10.037) **Oh crap, those aren't in the money, I'm not covered if this closes above 10, BUY STOCK!
BUY TLRY 9.5C (.60) x2 **Don't care, bailing out, I'm not staying on the Titanic
SELL TLRY 9.5P .03 x2 **You f'ers are worth a measely 3cents at this moment and I do NOT care, get out, the way you came in, GET OUT.

Final tally ($113.38)

Hope that's a retirement account, or tax time is going to be a blast for you (or your CPA).

Mine is taxable
There is no chance in hell yours is as convoluted as mine though.

B&I Key:
Boat Shoes
AG
McInnis 03 said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

gotsand said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Open book:

Here you go.

Final tally ($113.38)

Mine is taxable
There is no chance in hell yours is as convoluted as mine though.

This will be my first year filing with a large number of options trades. How do you guys handle it? Can TD Ameritrade successfully dump my history into Turbo Tax or am I in for a surprise?
cisgenderedAggie
Only because I haven't been buying puts.
UpstateAg
AG
You can usually upload it. I've done it the last few years without a problem with TurboTax
cisgenderedAggie
I started making a spreadsheet to track my performance against a single underlying asset. All the info is there, I just need to figure out how to calculate cost and gain/loss correctly. I'm generally assuming that I owe up to 50% of the gains, so hoping the tax liability isn't as bad as assumed.

I've been reading that the brokers don't provide you nice and neat (and legal) forms, but this is my first time too...
oldarmy1
AG
We need an engulfing candle on ROKU Tuesday, to light the fuse on the $110's.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. Don't be too safe - there's been way too much of that for weeks!
Brewmaster
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Bought Jun 5th V $200 calls.
got in on this just before the bell

2 buck fifty target - listen to the man!
BrokeAssAggie
Talon2DSO
AG
Am I in trouble?

I had a 295.50p that expired today and I couldn't sell it in time. What happens?
khaos288
AG
Misread. Below is right
UpstateAg
AG
If you bought it, it expires worthless. And I'm guessing you have restrictions that won't let you sell naked puts.
BrokeAssAggie
Talon2DSO said:

Am I in trouble?

I had a 295.50p that expired today and I couldn't sell it in time. What happens?

FBI will be at your door any minute
Talon2DSO
AG
What if it was a call?
AGSmith
AG
I can go into my brokerage account portal and see my tax realized gain/loss schedule for the year at any time. They even account for wash sales if they occur.
Boat Shoes
AG
AGSmith said:

I can go into my brokerage account portal and see my tax schedule for the year at any time. They even account for wash sales if they occur.
Who is your broker?
AGSmith
AG
SPY closed at 295.44, so if you were long a 5/22 295.5 call, then it would expire worthless
AGSmith
AG
Fidelity
gougler08
AG
AGSmith said:

Fidelity
Yeah it's really nice...shows the +/- on all options/stocks traded for the year and includes the wash sales.

Also learned that on my example from a few weeks ago, selling stocks for a loss and then selling puts does constitute a wash sale, but only for the premium you get. So if you sell for a $5k loss and then turn around a sell puts out a month for $2k, you still get to count a $3k loss

Good learning there
texagbeliever
Talon2DSO said:

What if it was a call?

If you dont know if it was a call or put, maybe dont trade options?
BrokeAssAggie
Where do our access that info? Can you do it on the App?
AGSmith
AG
I can't find it on the app. If you login to the desktop portal, go to account positions and click on Closed Positions in the upper left.
BrokeAssAggie
AGSmith
AG
If you click on Option Summary, there's a "Tax Info (Year to Date)" tab on the left that includes gain/loss plus dividends and capital gains distributions
McInnis 03
AG
If you are unsure what you're doing (yes I know how that sounds coming from me) with options, learn first then come back. If you make a bad move on SPY you could be in the hook for $29500 per contract, or SPX add another decimal.

My foray into OA's complexities was on a $10 stock with 2 contracts in play. Much smaller peanuts that I could handle.

B&I Key:
First Page Last Page
Page 1594 of 6408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.