Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,098,209 Views | 224554 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
Dobre casy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

oldarmy1 said:

Not sure how many of you have access or comfort level with shorting against calls but if you hold BJ call options into earnings you need to be up and at your computer ahead of earnings. If you get a major spike say $35+ then when you see it topping you short against your $30 Puts. Two reasons. The calls will lose premium value built up in earnings at the open tomorrow. Secondly you lock in $5+ gains on some or all for a nice win. I hardly ever carry a naked call into earnings and do not short a good portion of equivalent shares on a pop.

For beginners, a call gives you the right (the option) to buy BJ at $30/share. So if BJ is at $35, say, then you can short it and then use your call option to buy the shares at $30. BUT, no need to do so if the stock comes back down. In fact, I will sell the call on the open if the shares shorted are up $1+ over my short entry.

Looks like this. Say BJ opens at $34 after a $35 spike.

$30 Call opens at $4 in the money plus there would be maybe $0.40 premium so sell calls for $4.40 at the open. Now you have a short position up $1 and can cover if you see $35, or cover for an extra $1 and be done. But if you get some more downside then you are in command. You must have a good system and you must be deliberate for all of these strategies.

Want to try, but not sure I'm clear. You are saying to do this?

- am already long $30c today
- at open, if BJ spikes, STO $30c? This leaves me with an open long and an open short, but not a 0 position.

Wouldn't that be the same as sell to close?
Holding long $30 call

BJ spikes to $35 overnight, sell equivalent shares (100) short at $35.

BJ opens at $34, sell Long $30 calls to close for $4.40. At this time, short is up $1.
topher06
Twitter trying for $32
McInnis 03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Not sure how many of you have access or comfort level with shorting against calls but if you hold BJ call options into earnings you need to be up and at your computer ahead of earnings. If you get a major spike say $35+ then when you see it topping you short against your $30 Puts. Two reasons. The calls will lose premium value built up in earnings at the open tomorrow. Secondly you lock in $5+ gains on some or all for a nice win. I hardly ever carry a naked call into earnings and do not short a good portion of equivalent shares on a pop.

For beginners, a call gives you the right (the option) to buy BJ at $30/share. So if BJ is at $35, say, then you can short it and then use your call option to buy the shares at $30. BUT, no need to do so if the stock comes back down. In fact, I will sell the call on the open if the shares shorted are up $1+ over my short entry.

$30 Call opens at $4 in the money plus there would be maybe $0.40 premium so sell calls for $4.40 at the open. Now you have a short position up $1 and can cover if you see $35, or cover for an extra $1 and be done. But if you get some more downside then you are in command. You must have a good system and you must be deliberate for all of these strategies.
Am I the only one who has to read stuff like this 4 times for it to start to compute?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
TecRecAg
AG
I read it once and got a concussion.
oldarmy1
AG
topher06 said:

Twitter trying for $32
Got it
stxag8
AG
All I heard was my calls would be worth 4
Spaceship
AG
Whoa what just happened to DIS?
oldarmy1
AG
There's your $2.35 on TWTR.....whew - off the hook
oldarmy1
AG
Spaceship said:

Look at SPY
Andy07
AG
Spaceship said:

I finally ditched my 5/22 110 Calls earlier today so its taking off again
Pignorant
AG
Absolute rocket ship!
McInnis 03
AG
Spaceship said:

Rocket ship.

Oh, and username checks out lol
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
cisgenderedAggie
Dobre casy said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

oldarmy1 said:

- at open, if BJ spikes, STO $30c? This leaves me with an open long and an open short, but not a 0 position.

Holding long $30 call

BJ opens at $34, sell Long $30 calls to close for $4.40. At this time, short is up $1.

Wow. That seems crazy risky, but if I have the calls I guess it's covered. So when you sell the call, you then buy the shares back and net the $550?

Do you have to trade after hours or just leave the short open with a $35 limit? I've never shorted shares.
Dddfff
AG
Any chance AMZN resistance at $2,500 can turn into support?
tramaro1
AG
Spaceship said:

Disney, Seaworld Shares Spike To Session High As Traders Circulate Word Companies, Universal To Present Florida Reopening Plans To Task Force Thurs.
BZ Wire
claym711
AG
Longed the dip back to open, seeing some evidence we are going to gap the resistance.
McInnis 03
AG

B&I Key:
Swollen Thumb
AG
Thinking of taking a flyer on this. There are 2 tickers. FEAC are ordinary shares and FEAC/U are redeemable units. Dumb question, but can someone explain which would be preferable?
oldarmy1
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

Dobre casy said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

oldarmy1 said:

Holding long $30 call

Wow. That seems crazy risky, but if I have the calls I guess it's covered. So when you sell the call, you then buy the shares back and net the $550?

Do you have to trade after hours or just leave the short open with a $35 limit? I've never shorted shares.
Then don't start with this hypothetical. Start with a straight short just like entering a straight long. So many only trade one side of a two sided market. There's a reason the average yearly gain on a stock is done over less than 42 days a year. Think about that.
McInnis 03
AG
OA1: What rhymes with Dis....ney?
Mc: I dunno, what?
OA1: Model.....T.

B&I Key:
leoj
AG
$22mil put down on FB 9/18 190 calls.

call flow all day long for this week and next, 240 and 245 strikes.
Proposition Joe
A lot of people liking FB to run
ProgN
OverSeas AG said:

So spreads are Level III options not Level II, so I cannot try those. I have to "apply" for the next level.

This made me think of the guys playing D&D in the fishbowl at the common area of Aston Hall.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
gig em 02
claym711 said:

Longed the dip back to open, seeing some evidence we are going to gap the resistance.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DIS just shot up.
topher06
If Disney is opening I'm just gonna assume almost everything is open next week.
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

OA1: What rhymes with Dis....ney?
Mc: I dunno, what?
OA1: Model.....T.

B&I Key:
oldarmy1
AG
TWTR coming towards filling the upper ask mark.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Thanks! I did some digging into the IPO announcements for both the original units and subsequently, the common stock. It answered my question (I think). Each unit (FEAC/U) consist of one share of common stock (FEAC) plus 1/4 of one warrant to purchase one share of common stock (FEAC) at an exercise price of $11.50 per share.

I'm just looking to throw a little fun money at this given their track record, so will keep it simple with the common shares.
stxag8
AG
NTNX moving
topher06
Hopefully you held onto a few contracts?
Spaceship
AG
BJ not headed in the right direction for a pre-earnings flash
cjo03
AG
TChaney said:

OverSeas AG said:

TChaney said:

I would like to point out HBI has some higher than usual option call volume today.

As I predicted (but I said December) now that things are opening up, some people's lack of toilet paper during "The Wuhan" stay at home order has probably led to a surge in underwear sales.

(mostly farther out July and later 12 cheap calls)
that line of thinking never occurred to me, but is sort of interesting in a weird sort of 12 year old boy kind of way.
My sense of humor and mental state has regressed significantly these past few months.

HBI also owns the Champion brand which is trendy right now.
BrokeAssAggie
Spaceship said:

BJ not headed in the right direction for a pre-earnings flash

It's been moving up and down all day? Seems fitting to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 1573 of 6416

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.