Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,057,830 Views | 224351 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by PeekingDuck
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jtmoney03 said:

Prognightmare said:

McInnis 03 said:

Honestly I have no clue, that did catch me off guard but I imagine it's the way he can insure subscribers are getting access to the private feed
It's to make sure that you're not stealing his charts and passing it off as your own. Just protecting his IP.

It is a bit ironic though, because that is exactly what he did before he started his pay service a few months back. His posted trades and commentary were almost verbatim what another pay service was doing. I was tracking both for a week or two and they were at times seconds or minutes behind the service some guys and I at work use. Just spot checking a few the last couple days and he seems to have figured some of it out for himself, but there are a lot of similarities in what he posts. Obviously these guys are all chasing the big names who move in big swings to make the option money, but they are still similar enough in timing that I question if he is still following some of the other services and passing as his own.

It is possible that's a partnership behind the scenes. Manic is actually two guys who post trades (not sure about that, but just trying to assume positive intent.)
WestTexAg12
AG
khaos288 said:

AgEng06 said:

Awesome. How much cash do you need to really take advantage of his stuff?

I started my options trading this year with around 2k. Would only buy 1-2 contracts instead of the min suggestion of 4. I grew that to almost 8 now.

I 100% use money that I expect to lose, otherwise the options game is too much heartache. Yesterday I bought some calls seconds before the gild news and 400$ evaporated in 45 seconds.

I started with $3,000 in my TDA cash account on Apr 6.

I'm up to $11,300 today and I never had more than 50% of my account total tied up at once.

I missed some big ones and made some mistakes. I looked back and should be up to about $20,000. For example, I would catch a trade late and still buy in 5-10% above his alert price, and sell 5-10% below exit price. But there were also times where I did better also. Most recently, I got all out of SHOP at 300% and could have waited a bit longer to get 500%.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Only thing I find is that I'm way too distracted at work lol
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
ProgN
jtmoney03 said:

Prognightmare said:

McInnis 03 said:

Honestly I have no clue, that did catch me off guard but I imagine it's the way he can insure subscribers are getting access to the private feed
It's to make sure that you're not stealing his charts and passing it off as your own. Just protecting his IP.

It is a bit ironic though, because that is exactly what he did before he started his pay service a few months back. His posted trades and commentary were almost verbatim what another pay service was doing. I was tracking both for a week or two and they were at times seconds or minutes behind the service some guys and I at work use. Just spot checking a few the last couple days and he seems to have figured some of it out for himself, but there are a lot of similarities in what he posts. Obviously these guys are all chasing the big names who move in big swings to make the option money, but they are still similar enough in timing that I question if he is still following some of the other services and passing as his own.
I have a feeling some of theses services are actually the same person. Like GMC and Chevy, same truck just different name plate. Gives the illusion of competition.
khaos288
AG
Oh I have no doubt about this one. There's at least a handful that are run by the same people with just varying levels of risk or different delivery types. Trying to hit one big in popularity or like you said feign competition
claym711
AG

Very good stuff here.
Red Rover
AG
Prognightmare said:

I have a feeling some of theses services are actually the same person. Like GMC and Chevy, same truck just different name plate.

What? Next you'll tell me Santa Clause isn't real???

So does the intel stock behavior cause anyone to change their approach when it comes to playing earnings? They beat expectations but the lack of guidance seemed to still push them down. Or do you see that as an outlier since rumors of AAPL using in-house chips in the future might have made lack of guidance worse for intel than other companies.

Are you more inclined to take smaller profits a few days before instead of waiting for a bigger profit percentage needed to go net free? Does this make you more inclined to focus on shorting companies you think will underperform rather finding companies you think could over perform and get a good rip?
claym711
AG
How much are you guys paying for these twitter/info streams?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
OverSeas AG
AG
ProgN
Red Rover said:

Prognightmare said:

I have a feeling some of theses services are actually the same person. Like GMC and Chevy, same truck just different name plate.

What? Next you'll tell me Santa Clause isn't real???

So does the intel stock behavior cause anyone to change their approach when it comes to playing earnings? They beat expectations but the lack of guidance seemed to still push them down. Or do you see that as an outlier since rumors of AAPL using in-house chips in the future might have made lack of guidance worse for intel than other companies.

Are you more inclined to take smaller profits a few days before instead of waiting for a bigger profit percentage needed to go net free? Does this make you more inclined to focus on shorting companies you think will underperform rather finding companies you think could over perform and get a good rip?
I'm not huge fans of earnings plays in a normal environment but especially not what we have right now. I had a small position in DFS prior to earnings but added to it after they released because it looks good. I think it hits $40+ next week and I'll be out.

Earnings moves are going to be hard to predict this cycle. With their pre-announcement last week I do expect ROKU to close in on $145-150 prior to their earnings release though.
ProgN
OverSeas AG said:

"With that said, it is recommended that all option traders have cash accounts and not margin accounts."

That is in the ManicTrading material. Is that saying you should be using your cash and not margin to trade options, since things can move fast and you can get a margin call you were not expecting?

Do you guys use cash or your margin? I was told using margin will help keep you out of good faith violations.

I think that's to avoid being labeled a pattern day trader but I could be wrong. Someone else here will know.
OverSeas AG
AG
jh0400
AG
It may have something to do with the account size of his customer base. If you're well over $25k I don't see why you would care about being a PDT with a margin account.
ProgN
True, but I think a lot of people with small accounts subscribe in the hope of becoming a big account and this protects them from getting flagged. Like I said, I don't worry about it and don't know the fine print, so I could be way off base.
Grown Pear
AG
So if you want to be able to freely trade as many times as you want without worry of PDT or good faith violations affecting anything, what should you choose? Cash vs. Margin... certain minimum balance at all times? For example, with Fidelity.
AgEng06
AG
I was about to ask the same. I think a margin acct with $25k is the optimum solution.

After that, a cash account with enough excess to cover any losses. (Maybe only invest 50% of the account and keep the extra as a cushion.)
jtmoney03
AG
I have a lot to answer here this morning lol.

First off on the question above. Anything under $25K, you'll want a Cash account. This allows you to only trade on settled funds. With the big brokerages, that is usually overnight with options trades to settle up. You can trade with anything you have available.

Margin accounts, allow you to trade unsettled funds. Similar to what you see in RH where they make that money from the sale of an option immediately available.

It's not really the 4 day trades in rolling five that gets you marked as PDT, it's the margin account under $25K that does it. Always deal with Cash accounts and you can trade to your heart's desire.
AgEng06
AG
Follow-up: will TDA allow you to have 2 accounts, a margin acct and a cash acct?
jtmoney03
AG
khaos288 said:

Oh I have no doubt about this one. There's at least a handful that are run by the same people with just varying levels of risk or different delivery types. Trying to hit one big in popularity or like you said feign competition

Yep, I totally agree about this. Addressing you and Prog here because you both have similar thoughts around this. I really do want to assume all is right, but Manic for sure was posting the service I use as his own for at least a couple weeks before he started charging. I did a little more research on his posts last night on his public Twitter and I do think he has figured out some models for himself. He has certainly targeted stocks that my guy hasn't recently. Good for him too, he figured out a way to get paid.
Grown Pear
AG
Also, his website says a few places that they have "a combined 12 years experience" and I was like, I don't know if I'm all that impressed by that. Is it like 2 guys that have 6 years on average? Or say, 24 guys with only 6 months....
jtmoney03
AG
Good question, I'm not sure. My gut says yes. I have cash accounts at Fidelity and TDA. I still have a few dollars tied up at RH, but switched to the other two after the fiasco in March. I'm liking TDA/TOS a lot more than Fidelity, as Fidelity mobile is a little clunky to me. Mainly that when you follow these services, they pick strikes a lot of time that are further out than the default 10 Fidelity uses. When you change it, it doesn't save for the next time and it's wasted time trying to enter a trade after they post. TOS does, so I'm on their platform a lot more during the day.
Proposition Joe
There's no reason to believe the stock picking sites are any different than the sports picking sites. Same guys run multiple sites, the ones that fail get forgotten about, the ones that succeed you capitalize on them. Rinse, repeat.

You could start in January and give out 60 different picks on 12 different accounts. In March take the 7-8 winners and give out different picks on those. In May take the 3-4 winners and give out different picks on those. In June take the 1-2 winners and give out different picks on those. In August you've got an account with 8 months of winning history.

At least with the sports picking sites you could make a case that there was a limit to the amount of capital one could realistically get down based on outs and limits.

With these online brokerages willing to take large sums of money, then it all really comes back to -- if these were sure-fire, consistent winners, why wouldn't these guys just unload more of their winnings into their picks rather than charge $100/month and take the time to service all their customers?
jtmoney03
AG
Totally agree here, too!
ProgN
Who was the other account you followed first? List twitter handle if they're on there please.

@Trendspider is a very informative follow as well.
jtmoney03
AG
Posting to you and OverSeas here. We follow the guy behind smartertrading411.com. His name is Sam. He is hands down the cockiest sumbeech I've ever come across in my life, but he's pretty good at what he does. He is not infallible though, as it's clear from the crazy drops a few weeks ago that his models do not play out as well on the way down as they do on the way up. He had lots of misses and grasping during that time. He does everything on news and his fair value of an option price through his own algos and models. He'll also play only the big movers, TSLA, AMZN, APPL, SPX, GOOGL, TTD, SHOP, ROKU, BA...stocks like that. That's why I love this thread so much is that there is plenty of money to be made on the much smaller movers that OA and Irish and others post. Premiums on those big movers get a lot crazier a lot faster and price a lot of people out.
jtmoney03
AG
Prognightmare said:

Who was the other account you followed first? List twitter handle if they're on there please.

@Trendspider is a very informative follow as well.

Public is @smartertrader
Private is @smarter411
Grown Pear
AG
Not saying these in particular are "scams" but yes that's a very common thing that occurs, and has for quite some time.

As for your last thought, same could be said for those that write books or do whatever instead of just putting their money where their mouth is. I don't think it should be an either or... or necessarily viewed completely negative. I would much rather continue trading with a portion of my money and develop another recurring revenue stream alongside with that. Especially if I'm blasting out what trades I'm making b/c that only helps me. Hire someone to blast that out on twitter and sign people up and respond to emails. And i'm making 100-150 per month from who knows how many people? That's a no-brainer source of income with virtually ZERO risk involved.
jtmoney03
AG
claym711 said:

How much are you guys paying for these twitter/info streams?

I'm in it with 3 other guys at work and we are on his lowest subscription for just trades he makes and posts to private Twitter. $199/month so $50 for me. That is made with the first trade I follow each month.
ProgN
Thanks
jtmoney03
AG
The crazy thing about Sam...he's making metric sheet tons of money on his trades. But he also wakes up on the first of each month with a minimum of $315K (Almost 4M a year...insane) in his account because he has 1,579 following him. I know there are at least 400 in chat, so that is another $200 a month for that. And there are at least 75 or so on his morning calls, which is a cool $999/month. Stupid money before he makes his first trade.
jtmoney03
AG
Anyone following Manic's service have a follower count? Just interested to see how well he's doing.
McInnis 03
AG
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
McInnis 03
AG
Oops, should have read before posting. Thanks!
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
jtmoney03 said:

Posting to you and OverSeas here. We follow the guy behind smartertrading411.com. His name is Sam. He is hands down the cockiest sumbeech I've ever come across in my life, but he's pretty good at what he does. He is not infallible though, as it's clear from the crazy drops a few weeks ago that his models do not play out as well on the way down as they do on the way up. He had lots of misses and grasping during that time. He does everything on news and his fair value of an option price through his own algos and models. He'll also play only the big movers, TSLA, AMZN, APPL, SPX, GOOGL, TTD, SHOP, ROKU, BA...stocks like that. That's why I love this thread so much is that there is plenty of money to be made on the much smaller movers that OA and Irish and others post. Premiums on those big movers get a lot crazier a lot faster and price a lot of people out.

Wait, this guy isn't cocky!!

B&I Key:
jtmoney03
AG
Exxxxacttlyyy!

He has some really hot sports opinions on the Cowboys too, lol.
First Page Last Page
Page 1393 of 6411

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.