Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,000,774 Views | 224169 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Brian Earl Spilner
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How are y'all playing the US - DPRK Summit in the market?

I'm thinking TWTR could see a solid boost (basically increase on the amazing run its had) depending on what Trump tweets. What other movers could you see? Just some fodder to mull over.
leoj
AG
CHK too
gougler08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

How are y'all playing the US - DPRK Summit in the market?

I'm thinking TWTR could see a solid boost (basically increase on the amazing run its had) depending on what Trump tweets. What other movers could you see? Just some fodder to mull over.
I went in on Friday at TWTR with a combo of OA's thoughts (mentioned he's targeting $65 as his watch point) + all of the summit info
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

CHK too
YESSIR! And out trifecta SN also challenging a breakout trend.

Need to bust the $5 on CHK too. I need $5.40 on SWN to plant it for net free. Already planted both SN and CHK so let the bulls run!

gougler08
AG
Got in too late to buy these at your entry points and was hoping they were coming back down
Bird Poo
AG
gougler08 said:

Got in too late to buy these at your entry points and was hoping they were coming back down
Me too.
clobby
AG
AMD
oldarmy1
AG
Markets are above the mid-channel!
oldarmy1
AG
CSCO is looking good on the charts for a gap fill move close to $45.
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo said:

Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

well, i've made my first seemingly bad trade. sold put options in BBY last week for a high premium with a high IV. This week the price has slipped below my strike and then massive sell off this AM. I rolled these put options out 3 more weeks, collected another $0.34 in premium credit and bought myself some more time for the stock to come back up or for theta to help me out.

Puts me in the trade longer than I really want but I can stay in the trade and hopefully not lose. Depending on how this works out I can roll again in the future collect more premium and again and again until hopefully the premium collected offsets what I have to pay to get out of the trade and I walk away without losing money.
When you have some time would you mind writing up the rolled option strategy? I've kept the posts to simple buy call/put options, along with some covered call strategies, but the rolling stratgy is key to success.
I sold to open Put options at a strike and collected premium. I think $2.70 per share. They expire tomorrow and with the action in the stock price i would have had to purchase the shares at a price MUCH higher than current value. Effectively this would have closed my option position and I would own the shares at a cost basis of Strike - $2.70 which still puts me upside down on the trade.

So, I bought the options back at current market value, and sold the same put, same strike out another 3 weeks with a total net credit to me of $0.34. So now my breakeven is Strike - $3.04. Still upside down to current market value of the underlying, but if we see the sell off stabilize and price comes back up I can still potentially close the trade out at break even. I may even be able to keep kicking the can down the road until my total in premium collected is enough that i can hold to expiration or buy the puts back cheaper than my total premium.

Note: i would not have rolled the options another 3 weeks if I also did not receive a net credit.
update here, still riding this one.

Lesson here is to manage position size. i thought this was going to be a winner at earnings so I went "all in". Sold 5 contracts @ $78 strike for a handsome premium. Then the stock tanked. After rolling out 2 more weeks my break even on the underlying is $74.48 so headed in the right direction. Options expire next week and I have not been assigned yet, so hopefully a good sign especially if the price keeps moving up. Note: I do not want to get assigned.

Since I am trading cash secured instead of on margin I have been on the sideline riding this one out. :/ I might need to change that but also change strategy to selling put credit spreads or short bullish credit spreads they are also called.

A credit spread acts the same as selling a naked put, which is what i have been doing, but you are also buying a further out of the money put to offset risk. Sell a put, buy a put capping your downside risk.
come on BBY, almost back to even on the trade. Put options expire this friday, if I can close out before expiration with a profit I will take it and run.
oldarmy1
AG
SWiNg
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo - You have the aid of a wonderful gap to get you whole. I'd target $74.45 as your take it and run mark with Friday expiration.
tramaro1
AG
Thoughts on BPMX?
what say you
have we hit resistance on CHK at $5.00 again or do we push through?
johnson2012
AG
tramaro1 said:

Thoughts on BPMX?

Oldarmy1 brought it up a page or two back. Marked his entry at below .24
pacecar02
North Korea summit bounce today?
no sig
leoj
AG
Twitter keeps killing it
Joseph Parrish
AG
SN up 5% early this morning. Maybe we can push closer to that $5 mark.
Pignorant
AG
JP Morgan raised TWTR price target from $39 to $50.
gougler08
AG
Pignorant said:

World Cup starts Thursday, will be interesting to see if that sends it up higher
IrishTxAggie
AG
Thoughts on CXO? Took a hell of a beating this past month, but it appears they're on the way back up/
oldarmy1
AG
Pignorant said:

I was TWTR when TWTR wasn't kewl.

And that target is too low. Amateurs!
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Pignorant said:

Glad I took your advice (even if it was only at $41 and not earlier as you suggested)...I'll set my target up near yours now too
oldarmy1
AG
gougler08 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Pignorant said:

Glad I took your advice (even if it was only at $41 and not earlier as you suggested)...I'll set my target up near yours now too
Excellent. It has two big gap ups and at least one of those will fill. If the markets have a negative wave again that 2nd gap would close. If you are thinking longball don't sweat it. If you are trading it then a June 15th covered call of the $43 gets you $1.45. If called out the stock will be back to below $43 on its ebbs and flows after a double gap up.

You can see the stock has mostly green day candles. The resistance was defeated leading to the trending move. Then you had shorts thinking it was ripe for the picking after the huge volume spike day and thats why you have the lone red candle. They sucked those poor people in and then busted another move using their covering action to spike it onward and upward.

gougler08
AG
Thanks as always
gougler08
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

SN up 5% early this morning. Maybe we can push closer to that $5 mark.
$4.50 still seems to be a resistance as we're down almost 2% for the day now
Bird Poo
AG
oldarmy1, et al.,

What are your thoughts on DBX? I just opened a long position on them since their customer base is rapidly growing. They kind of remind me of the first few years of Netflix, but for cloud storage.

what say you
how are y'all playing the upcoming OPEC meeting? getting out beforehand or letting it ride?

I felt uneasy so I cashed out this afternoon and will look to see what comes after the meetings. I hope this isn't the wrong move.
gougler08
AG
I'm only in on RDS/A (work for them) in terms of O&G right now, so I'll probably just let it ride since the dividend will help cover any losses.

Selfishly, I'm hoping that the news of the meeting sends SN/CHK/SWN back down a bit so I can get in on them
what say you
me too, now that I cashed out. here's hoping
leoj
AG
T won with no conditions.
Bonfire1996
AG
Tomorrow could be a monster day if China comes out in support of deal progress with NORKs.
oldarmy1
AG
Semiconductors recharged today.

Ragoo - Your BBY looks solid to move on up.
Ragoo
AG
At this point I am going to let it go to expiration. Might not get back to 78 which is my strike but if I get assigned will ride the current momentum.
oldarmy1
AG
OneNightW said:

oldarmy1, et al.,

What are your thoughts on DBX? I just opened a long position on them since their customer base is rapidly growing. They kind of remind me of the first few years of Netflix, but for cloud storage.

Educate me. You have a recommended link?
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.