Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,106,575 Views | 224616 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
jtmoney03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for furthering my understanding of them. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it!
Ragoo
AG
I encourage you to subscribe to the Option Alpha podcast and to watch the Step Up to options series on TastyWorks. You can get a free app for TastyWorks and the videos are all there.
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

I encourage you to subscribe to the Option Alpha podcast and to watch the Step Up to options series on TastyWorks. You can get a free app for TastyWorks and the videos are all there.
Agree on all counts except for sometimes trading options over stocks. There is no single answer to right or wrong use of straight options.

It is WHEN you buy the options and WHEN you sell the options that make the strategy viable. Through this sideways period my ROI on straight call options is 172%. Buying options when a stock (or the markets - my largest returns were on straight SPX options purchased on retests) are at major support, if it holds the bounce is more immediate and the option premium.

If that major support breaks unless you have set stop losses your losses are going to be in the thousands. If I had an option I have limited my loss to hundreds. Again - it's WHEN you enter and even when entering an option you should have a pre-determined stop loss.

oldarmy1
AG
SWN - wanna see whats going on? Minute chart shows the resistance is hit with volume every single attempt. Either we have a short seller or someone who bought the farm content to dump each time it reaches these levels. That's a pure of a chart as you can get on seeing whats up. I hope its a short seller because when it breaks they become the fuel for a overinflated move.

tailgatetimer10
AG
Would a 5.5 call 3 or 4 weeks out be A good decision considering this?
Ragoo
AG
Agree.

You can also synthetically go LONG a stock purchasing an ITM option.

By doing this your risk is lower and you use less capital to enter the "long" position.
gougler08
AG
Ranger222 said:

appreciate it oldarmy. I'm just soaking in everyone's input on this thread.

by the way your old friend GILD is looking nice.....a lot of action in August 75 C today.

Few other charts I'm watching --

Mercadolibre looks ready for a massive move up. Almost broke out today.

Entered FedEx as it broke out of this box today

and of course AMD this week, if it closes, breaking out of a 15 month consolidation.

Mercadolibre down 7+% today...time to jump in?
oldarmy1
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I would wait until a clear break to $5 and pay the little extra premium versus entering a straight options at resistance that is holding.

Ragoo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

a 5.5 call on SWN expiring 29 days is $0.10 per share or $10 per contract. From today's level that is a 13% move in the underlying just to have the opportunity to purchase shares at $5.50. Makes no sense to me. This trade has a 15% PoP at expiration.

You could buy the 4.5 call that currently has $0.36 of intrinsic value and $0.16 in extrinsic. The delta is 73 so for every dollar movement you only realize $0.73 in profit. This has a 36% PoP at expiration.

If you think the stock is going up buy the underlying long and sell the coveted call for the 0.10 @ 5.5 and an 84% PoP.
pfo
AG
Docusign (DOCU) with a nice beat on earnings and they raised guidance as well. Stock up over 6% after hours. I typically don't buy IPO's but bit in this one due to the shear volume of business out there they could capture.

I'm in BPMX at .25 cents on Old Army's support call. My cosmetic dermatologist buddy originally told me about the stock and he loves their new drug. But remember, this company has no money and needs to find a stratigic partner quickly before they go broke first. Very very risky stock. I'l probably lose all my money on it but if it works, it could really work.

Take a look at EVH (Evolent Health) if you want to see revenue numbers exploding. They sell cost control software as a service to hospitals, pharmacies, doctors etc. I bought this stock 6 months ago and put it in the lockbox. Could something go wrong? Of course. If they don't sign up 15 new clients each month the stock will go down, but it's a great business so I took a shot. It was up again today with a weak Nasdaq. So very good relative strength. I really like this stock.
Ranger222
AG

I love when stocks follow their trendlines. Its so satisfying for me in a weird way. Meli has a fake out breakout yesterday, but closed below the breakout line. I almost entered yesterday, but I'm much more cautious now waiting for confirmation, requiring the stock the close above the trendline. So today we got the big red engulfing candle. However, it closed the day at the support level it has maintained for six months. Thus, it remains on my watchlist with no action taken yet.

Also watch that black line seen just below the red line -- that is a longterm trendline the stock has held since Feb 2016 when it started this run at $90. It may want to touch that in the next few days - couple weeks before rocketing up. It hasn't touched it since late October 2017.

AMD had a big red day today and finished with a bearish engulfing candle. A few months ago I would have panicked sold my positions I just entered in earlier in the week, but I'm expecting AMD to re-test its previous resistance, maybe tomorrow and even into next Monday before getting back on the upward trend. If not in yet, I'd be looking to buy at $14.5 I've been trying to practice only buying half positions on these breakouts, and expect to buy the rest on test of previous resistance - support. The whole semiconductor sector SMH was weak today as money rotated out of tech and into energy.
SnowboardAg
AG
Bullish engulfing on CPB with a potential gap fill down the road. May be something to keep an eye on, even though I'm not a fan of the industry.

oldarmy1
AG
pfo said:

I'm in BPMX at .25 cents on Old Army's support call. My cosmetic dermatologist buddy originally told me about the stock and he loves their new drug. But remember, this company has no money and needs to find a stratigic partner quickly before they go broke first. Very very risky stock. I'l probably lose all my money on it but if it works, it could really work.

BPMX at 28 cents premarket. up 11%
johnson2012
AG
That's what I like to see. I made it in at a .2408 average. Thanks for the suggestion OA
leoj
AG
Amd down 2% premarket
oldarmy1
AG
leoj said:

Amd down 2% premarket
AMD perfectly filled that 2nd gap up on June 1st and will now fill the gap down from the open today. That's when we'll see what AMD has going on trend. Check Ranger's chart for a good reference on breakup/breakdown narrowing wedge. Nowhere to hide.

AMD is a daytraders dream. Check the 2 gap ups that perfectly filled. Then after filling that 2nd lower gap it quickly reversed and closed the mornings opening gap down. I even traded that 2nd gap fill with daily call options and just closed them for 34% gain. Extent of my day trading.

gougler08
AG
What do y'all think about AMAT if it goes down to the 48-49 range?
SnowboardAg
AG
AMAT is really in a wedge pattern:
- higher lows at support
- lower highs at resistance.

I would want to see a breakout to the upside (confirmed with volume) in the neighborhood of 53. Otherwise, it's just playing between 50 and 53 until a sign is shown which way the market is going.

Sorry, can't post a pic of the chart.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
leoj said:

Wow. You just buying calls?

Re: TWTR - buying calls and going long, son.
WestTexAg12
AG
OA1,

What do you think of OKTA calls right now?

I'm looking at the July 20 calls for strike price of $55 for $1.60.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

leoj said:

Twitter going to hit a ceiling eventually?
Not anytime soon. Trend with ebbs and flows to $65 is where I'm targeting.
Got in at $41...hope your ceiling of $65 is accurate
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo said:

oldarmy1 said:

Ragoo said:

well, i've made my first seemingly bad trade. sold put options in BBY last week for a high premium with a high IV. This week the price has slipped below my strike and then massive sell off this AM. I rolled these put options out 3 more weeks, collected another $0.34 in premium credit and bought myself some more time for the stock to come back up or for theta to help me out.

Puts me in the trade longer than I really want but I can stay in the trade and hopefully not lose. Depending on how this works out I can roll again in the future collect more premium and again and again until hopefully the premium collected offsets what I have to pay to get out of the trade and I walk away without losing money.
When you have some time would you mind writing up the rolled option strategy? I've kept the posts to simple buy call/put options, along with some covered call strategies, but the rolling stratgy is key to success.
I sold to open Put options at a strike and collected premium. I think $2.70 per share. They expire tomorrow and with the action in the stock price i would have had to purchase the shares at a price MUCH higher than current value. Effectively this would have closed my option position and I would own the shares at a cost basis of Strike - $2.70 which still puts me upside down on the trade.

So, I bought the options back at current market value, and sold the same put, same strike out another 3 weeks with a total net credit to me of $0.34. So now my breakeven is Strike - $3.04. Still upside down to current market value of the underlying, but if we see the sell off stabilize and price comes back up I can still potentially close the trade out at break even. I may even be able to keep kicking the can down the road until my total in premium collected is enough that i can hold to expiration or buy the puts back cheaper than my total premium.

Note: i would not have rolled the options another 3 weeks if I also did not receive a net credit.
update here, still riding this one.

Lesson here is to manage position size. i thought this was going to be a winner at earnings so I went "all in". Sold 5 contracts @ $78 strike for a handsome premium. Then the stock tanked. After rolling out 2 more weeks my break even on the underlying is $74.48 so headed in the right direction. Options expire next week and I have not been assigned yet, so hopefully a good sign especially if the price keeps moving up. Note: I do not want to get assigned.

Since I am trading cash secured instead of on margin I have been on the sideline riding this one out. :/ I might need to change that but also change strategy to selling put credit spreads or short bullish credit spreads they are also called.

A credit spread acts the same as selling a naked put, which is what i have been doing, but you are also buying a further out of the money put to offset risk. Sell a put, buy a put capping your downside risk.
leoj
AG
Not a bad week
IrishTxAggie
AG
Took a position in NKTR at $52.70. I think it got way oversold this week.
oldarmy1
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

OA1,

Yo WestTexasAg...apologies for missing this. Let me look at the stock and get you my take this weekend.
Ragoo
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

OA1,

seeing a 25% PoP

IrishTxAggie
AG
Side note:

What app is that?
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Side note:

What app is that?
https://tastyworks.com/
https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/
SlackerAg
AG
The Big Short this week:
Tapestry (TPR), which owns Kate Spade.
The brand goes into toilet with more upcoming news.
Bonfire1996
AG
SlackerAg said:

The Big Short this week:

what news?
SlackerAg
AG
From Q thread. Spade involved with child trafficking thru charity.
gougler08
AG
SlackerAg said:

From Q thread. Spade involved with child trafficking thru charity.
Oh lord, the Q thread stuff is getting to the B&I board now?
Ragoo
AG
SlackerAg said:

The Big Short this week:

TPR is up 2.3% premarket
oldarmy1
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

OA1,

Didn't gleen a lot from reading on OKTA. Technically the huge volume last 4 days is hard to read. If its a pullback on continued trend then entering calls right now as it sinks towards the previous breakout makes sense. You get better premium price buying as it sinks in.
oldarmy1
AG
SWN approaching $5
First Page Last Page
Page 138 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.