Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,101,092 Views | 224562 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by jagvocate
jbeck3487
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a little late getting my order in after the Manic alert and missed the purchase by .02. 2 dollars potentially costly me hundreds.
TV Casualty
AG
Fightin2010 said:

Any thoughts on Carvana? I had the thought yesterday that this model could be the future of car buying like it is with mattresses and of course it's up 20% today....

I saw one of their delivery trucks on the road for the first time yesterday. I have never looked into their service. I just assumed it was a more expensive way of buying a car than going to the dealer.
khaos288
AG
jbeck3487 said:

I was a little late getting my order in after the Manic alert and missed the purchase by .02. 2 dollars potentially costly me hundreds.

Damn! I got mine to fill right at close for the 1.8. Hopefully it holds! I've had so many damn surprise expenses this year. I could use a nice little win.
jbeck3487
AG
You might want to look at a PS60 subscription. Great educational service that teaches you about day trading channels.
CSTXAg92
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Does anyone know how to apply Fibonacci lines in Fidelity Trader Pro. I can find all sorts of indicators, but I can't find that. is it known by another name?
It's in the Drawing menu.
Grown Pear
AG
This sounds miserable.

Clearly there's a lot of other factors but Emotion plays a critical role in determining whether your investments will be successful or not. The more emotion you bring to the table the worse decisions you will make. That's why the vast majority of retail investors are highly unsuccessful. They have no plan, no discipline, but lots of emotion.

My advice is you need to understand what you're wanting to accomplish and then tailor your investing strategy around that.
*Are you wanting to put money in the market to grow it for a future goal (grow net worth, make a purchase, retirement)?
*Or are you wanting to make short term profits within the day/week, get in get out and have made some money?

There's different strategies to accomplish each with different amounts of activity and energy levels. It sounds to me like you're wanting to dabble in the market and make a quick buck or two. In that case, spend the time investing in yourself, in learning about this and read through this thread, and getting a feel for what someone is looking at buying/selling and WHY they're wanting to do that.

ETA - this takes time to learn and understand (by that I mean what you're really wanting to accomplish, the why, and then reading about strategies and trying to understand and then keep learning on top of that. It's not an overnight process. Learn from your mistakes, learn from others mistakes and if you do that you'll be better for it in the long run. This recent experience of yours key in point. Remember that feeling and what you were doing or not doing... then as you learn more, look back and know you don't want to be at that place again.
Aggietaco
AG
Aggies75455 said:

Good thing I sold my ROKU shares at 88.00
Right there with you. Sold most of mine at the downturn late last month and only held onto a random 12 shares.
Ragoo
AG
I've got ROKU shares that I am upside down on. Have covered call in place on 1200 shares at 140.
Brewmaster
AG
Aggietaco said:

Aggies75455 said:

Good thing I sold my ROKU shares at 88.00
Right there with you. Sold most of mine at the downturn late last month and only held onto a random 12 shares.
sold all of mine last week and would do it all over again if I had to. It's a super volatile stock. They could drop it to 80 next week if they want to. There will definitely be another opportunity in.
AnyOtherName
AG
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yeah I am wanting to make a quick buck right now like most and work my way into a long position eventually for retirement. I know I have a lot of learning to do. I am spending more time staring at these stocks go up in town waiting to pull the trigger when in reality I should be reading up on everything. I think FOMO ("fear of missing out") is keeping me glued to the screen. I missed out over the last 10 years and feel like I have a major opportunity to not do that for the next decade. Guess I am hoping to win the lottery is what it comes down to and yet I don't really know how to pick the numbers.

I know I am capable of learning this stuff, just need to land on learning platform and have much lower expectations. Thanks again!
AnyOtherName
AG
jbeck3487 said:

You might want to look at a PS60 subscription. Great educational service that teaches you about day trading channels.
I will look into it. I have seen some others on here that live by it. Thanks for the advice!
Rice and Fries
AnyOtherName said:

jbeck3487 said:

I will look into it. I have seen some others on here that live by it. Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone else use Access A Trader?

I think it would be beneficial to learn more, at least I would get something for my money vs what I lose with options. It's only 1-2% of my total nest egg, but I've never been able to generate consistent returns, or rather...returns consistently. Just a few carpet baggers (mostly all are losers) across the months.
FrontPorchAg
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

I've got ROKU shares that I am upside down on. Have covered call in place on 1200 shares at 140.

I sold a July 17 put at 130 a while back...that should be decently up now so will have to see if I want to but it back or hold it
Exsurge Domine
Mtn_Guide said:

Did I miss something or is he looking at the premium for selling puts?
Rice and Fries
Mtn_Guide said:

Too bad the volume sucks on that stock....
GreasenUSA
AG
Found this point of view interesting re: DIS

Disney's 50M Streaming Subscribers No Reason To Celebrate: Here's Why

• 40% business from parks
  • 40% business from media and studios
  • 10% from streaming

The first two are all but shut down, and the third is unprofitable.
Brewmaster
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Found this point of view interesting re: DIS

Disney's 50M Streaming Subscribers No Reason To Celebrate: Here's Why

• 40% business from parks
  • 40% business from media and studios
  • 10% from streaming

The first two are all but shut down, and the third is unprofitable.

meh, sounds like they're short DIS. This is all very temporary stuff for DIS.
GreasenUSA
AG
It's pretty much the same thing I've been saying when people on this thread think Disney+ is a huge boon currently. NFLX is still in much better shape for that portion of the business. Disney+ just simply isn't good enough yet.
Grown Pear
AG
Perfect. You've identified short term goal and wanting to make quick profit. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Pay attention to this thread and ask questions of people so you learn from it.

I would caution you to just blindly throw money in on random things at random times and hoping for the best. That is THE single quickest way to lose money.

This is a crazy market and there's no silver bullet to make a 100% profit overnight. A thought (and you don't have to take it!) May be to focus on either an Industry or a few Companies that you really like, or already know about. From there get an understanding of where they are at and what the short term and near future outlooks are for them. And not just "stock price", but trying to get and idea of what drives the underlying value.

You got this just be patient!
Grown Pear
AG
GreasenUSA said:

It's pretty much the same thing I've been saying when people on this thread think Disney+ is a huge boon currently. NFLX is still in much better shape for that portion of the business. Disney+ just simply isn't good enough yet.

See that's where I differ. I view this as DIS branching out and diversifying their revenue stream and there's a huge market to grow that from 10% which is going to drive the future growth of their valuations.

Where was Amazons web services years ago and where will it be going forward??
GreasenUSA
AG
Grown Pear said:

GreasenUSA said:

See that's where I differ. I view this as DIS branching out and diversifying their revenue stream and there's a huge market to grow that from 10% which is going to drive the future growth of their valuations.

Where was Amazons web services years ago and where will it be going forward??
Yes, I agree over the long term. DIS is not going away, and is only going to become more of a beast. In the short term, there could be trouble.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Problem for DIS currently is that their new revenue stream from Disney+ is about their only one right now. They're bleeding money on just about everything else in their portfolio currently. NFLX revenue stream is their only one. DIS diversified portfolio is hurting them right now
Aggies1322
AG
What are the odds we retest the lows in the next couple of weeks? All of the technical analysis I watched last week said they expected it, was curious if that has changed?
Grown Pear
AG
Totally agree on the two posts above. Short term-wise, which I have to keep reminding myself this thread is focused on!! Lol

Long term that's where I love seeing stocks being beating up bc Of short term issues.
Ragoo
AG
GreasenUSA said:

disney+ should be straight free cash flow for DIS. They own all of the content and presumably profited off of it originally. They just pay server space and maintenance of that content. Should be a homer in for them. How is it not profitable?
BB675
AG
Thoughts on BLPH and ICD tomorrow? They look poised for a breakout with the after hour volume.
Exsurge Domine
I'm adding some of you dudes on twitter
jbeck3487
AG
I would recommend it. I don't follow all the pivots they post (mainly because I don't have to capital). I use it more for option plays (like Irish though I'm sure he is much better at it). I has also made me extremely better about recognizing supply and demand zones, which is important to understand why a stock does or doesn't move or how much it will (likely) move.
FrontPorchAg
GreasenUSA said:

I don't think anyone thought it was going to make Disney. I think the celebration surrounding D+ is:
1) Increased cash flow helps with liquidity through the shutdown
2) Many of these subscribers will stick around long after the parks reopen.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
CSTXAg92
AG
Aggies1322 said:

What are the odds we retest the lows in the next couple of weeks? All of the technical analysis I watched last week said they expected it, was curious if that has changed?
Great video posted by La Bamba that you can watch for some perspective on this very topic...

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2721405/replies/56359658
IrishTxAggie
AG
Weren't their marketing and implementation costs something like a billion? Also, they're creating content specifically for Disney+ around Marvel and Star Wars and the production costs on that stuff has to be pretty high I imagine if they intend to keep the graphics and cinematography on par with the other productions.
iluvpoker
Aggies1322 said:

I don't think we retest the lows again. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Fed has too much firepower. I'm hoping for S&P 2500 to buy more.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The fed can only shoot so much at what will essentially amount to 2-2.5 months of an economic halt for an economy built around consumption.
khkman22
AG
What are thoughts on the shutdown negatively affecting Disney+ in one year?

Without the shutdown, it's possible people would have watched a few movies a month and sort of stretch out their viewing. Now it's possible that people will binge watch and watch all the movies they care about before their year subscription ends.

I would think most people signing up still have a cable or streaming subscription of some sort that likely includes Disney channels. So most people won't need to keep it for that purpose either.

I know most people that sign up for these services never cancel, but do you think there's a better chance that people will burn out quicker on the content available on Disney+ compared to other services that produce more original content (that's not already available on people's cable packages)?
First Page Last Page
Page 1303 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.