Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,102,205 Views | 224572 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by texagbeliever
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was institutional buying that skyrocketed the markets in the last 10 mins.
gig em 02
Prognightmare said:

you'll want to see that chart on April 2
Grown Pear
AG
Prognightmare said:

To add to my prior post right before this. Add in the explosion of derivatives.

How much is the market effected by things like huge short positions that then have to be corrected? Are those type of trades impacting the appearance the people/institutions are buying because we think they "want to" or "have to"?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Harkrider 93
AG
OverSeas AG said:

I wonder if they (IIs) were actively making decisions or if they were rebalancing ETFs and/or MFs? I think it is too late in the month to rebalance most ETFs. I would have thought they did that at the beginning of the month. However, maybe they do it month-end it to be ready for the beginning of the month.
How does rebalancing work? I get the bonds to stocks. How the heck does selling some and buying others with the same dollars change it by that much? I hear hedge fund managers say it but never understood how.
Jevertson
AG
Maybe more to do when buying stocks or industry etfs so selling winners and buying into losers while they're low
Harkrider 93
AG
I am not positive, but it looked like we had a 90% up day. Seems like the math wouldn't work for that.
HustlerAggie
I rebalance monthly into different funds using a risk-parity calculation. I usually just do it on the first trading day of the month, but since so many other people are on monthly cycles, it might be better for me to do it towards the end.
Hustle Harder
Grown Pear
AG
HustlerAggie said:

I rebalance monthly into different funds using a risk-parity calculation. I usually just do it on the first trading day of the month, but since so many other people are on monthly cycles, it might be better for me to do it towards the end.
I'm getting towards the discipline that you have and have been wondering the most logical or best time to do so. I'm wondering about the 1st or 3rd week of every month due to the automatic contributions for people's 401k/TSP taking place on the 15th and 31st of each month ususally.
Monywolf
Harkrider 93 said:

OverSeas AG said:

I wonder if they (IIs) were actively making decisions or if they were rebalancing ETFs and/or MFs? I think it is too late in the month to rebalance most ETFs. I would have thought they did that at the beginning of the month. However, maybe they do it month-end it to be ready for the beginning of the month.
How does rebalancing work? I get the bonds to stocks. How the heck does selling some and buying others with the same dollars change it by that much? I hear hedge fund managers say it but never understood how.
Let's say you are a 60/40 equity to fixed income investor. After a significant stock market drop you are maybe 50/50. So when the market recovers it takes you longer to get back to even. If you sell enough bonds, (which has presumably gone up in value or at least not lost as much as stocks) to get back to 60% stock, when the inevitable recovery happens, you have more stock that is getting the recovery. That's why you want to rebalance.
Baby Billy
AG
Monywolf said:

Harkrider 93 said:

OverSeas AG said:

Let's say you are a 60/40 equity to fixed income investor. After a significant stock market drop you are maybe 50/50. So when the market recovers it takes you longer to get back to even. If you sell enough bonds, (which has presumably gone up in value or at least not lost as much as stocks) to get back to 60% stock, when the inevitable recovery happens, you have more stock that is getting the recovery. That's why you want to rebalance.

I think he understands that. In fact I know he does.

He's asking about hedge funds specifically
Grown Pear
AG
Monywolf said:

Harkrider 93 said:

OverSeas AG said:

And to take it one step further, say within your equity side you have different exposures to Large cap, Mid cap, Small cap, International, Real Estate, etc..... so when those get out of balance you sell whatever is overexposed "sell high" and purchase whatever is underexposed "buy low"
IrishTxAggie
AG
Barnyard96
AG
Monywolf said:

Harkrider 93 said:

OverSeas AG said:

Does a robo account automatically re-balance in this scenario?
Harkrider 93
AG
That makes more sense, but if almost all is up at highs for the day and with large volume, I don't see how it would work.
Harkrider 93
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Monywolf said:

Harkrider 93 said:

OverSeas AG said:

II wonder if they (IIs) were actively making decisions or if they were rebalancing ETFs and/or MFs? I think it is too late in the month to rebalance most ETFs. I would have thought they did that at the beginning of the month. However, maybe they do it month-end it to be ready for the beginning of the month.
Does a robo account automatically re-balance in this scenario?
It likely does. It would be interesting to see if bonds and stocks were both up. If they were, and it is likely, I don't see how rebalancing caused the market to go up today, Maybe they mean on normal days.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TLT 3/27 168.5C had a lot of action today.
Grown Pear
AG
From a personal standpoint whether you're 60/40 or 90/10 (equity/fixed income) is all about risk tolerance. And rebalancing allows you to capture gains/profits and reinvest in those losing to help you stay within your risk tolerance. So you're not taking on more risk than you want or less.

That's from a personal planning standpoint, you may be asking more towards the large institutional investors selling of millions of positions because they're becoming over exposed to a certain company or sector than is within their investment guidelines. I honestly don't really know how that works..

ETA - yes if you're asking about market movement. Robo advisors rebalancing personal IRA's is not going to move the needle. They were referring potentially to the hundreds of millions moving out of certain places (again that's beyond my education)
Monywolf
There is a lot of discussion about pension funds rebalancing prior to the end of the month. They would need to purchase a large amount of equity, contributing to the gains today and maybe tomorrow.
YNWA_AG
AG
Got some TLT 4/3 170s in the 60s today. Almost 20k volume on those.
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
Welcome to the new Bull Market, boys.

Enjoy the next 11 years of month over month new highs.
gougler08
AG
jj9000 said:

Welcome to the new Bull Market, boys.

Enjoy the next 11 years of month over month new highs.

Lol as futures are nice and red right now
azul_rain
BOOM
Post removed:
by user
GigEmRangers75455
FAT SEXY said:

Is MRO a safe long play at this point? I guess there are no safe plays in stocks, but I'll ask anyways. It's at the lowest stock price in over 5 years.. It's been hovering at the same level since the March 6th nosedive.

Think it'll dip a little further?

I got in today at 3.80 so fingers crossed.
ProgN
FAT SEXY said:

Probably should have never started dabbling in this.. I can tell I'm going to get hooked on it.
You have no idea. Welcome to our clubhouse.
gvine07
AG
I wouldn't long play any O&G now, except maybe refineries. Sure many will survive and eventually the price of oil will go up, but I bet it won't keep up with the rest of the S&P.

Horrible oil busts have always followed oil booms. It always got ugly - companies go out of business and the survivors merge together out of necessity. We're not there yet, but I bet that's where this is going.

Obviously I could be 100% wrong.
the last of the bohemians
It seemed like the laggards led the rally past 2 days.
Has to be a trap.
CavitationAG
AG
Pioneer's CEO said on CNBC today that OVV and MRO aren't cooperating to try and cut back U.S. production because they'll go bankrupt if they do. Sheffield obviously has his own motives so TIFWIW. I'm no expert.
YouBet
AG
This is a fun thread to watch. The stress and angst of it all. Such drama!
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
tam2002
AG
Since I've started dabbling in this I've held a couple o&g stocks but the only one I have now is XOM. A lot of uncertainty out there for the little guys right now
MTTANK
AG
Edward Jones managed accounts rebalanced portfolios over the last two days, there's around 500 billion invested amongst them. Obviously all the rebalancing was bond to equity.
GIG 'EM
First Page Last Page
Page 1208 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.